“Confessions From Natural Hair Chick' on my stay @ Courtyard South Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach

Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #79 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Confessions From Natural Hair Chick' on my stay @ Courtyard South Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The Courtyard South Beach on Washington for 5 nights. The room was really clean. No spots or stains on the sheets, furniture or curtains. The room size was way larger than I expected. The beds were comfy. The a/c worked well & wasn't loud or disturbing. Breakfast is available for purchase for about $12.00 but we didn't eat in the hotel. So many other places in walking distance to eat. The roof top pool is a nice touch. The hotel staff was polite & helpful. At check in I requested a fridge & it was bought to the room within 15 minutes. The cleaning crew left us plenty of clean towels which was fantastic. There's a popular night club right next door to the hotel & a strip club across the street. Neither was a bother. The beach is super close as is lots of shopping & restaurants. Macy's, Victoria Secret, H&M & tons of other stores & boutiques are on or close to Lincoln' street which is a very popular area and very close to the hotel @ the infamous Ocean' street. Make sure you check out 'Paul's Bakery & Nexxt Restaurant on Lincoln'. Also try a Gorditito at Paul's. Yumm!
Booked my room for under half the rate thanks to my corporate discount code. Thanks GAC!!!

Cons: The walls are thin but not so thin that you could hear your neighbor in the RR or anything. Also the wifi & reception sucks but not too much of a big deal either since I was able to use my iPad without issue most of the time. Just couldn't retrieve or send messages on my iPhone.

Looking forward to returning to The Courtyard by Marriott South Beach in the very near future. Thanks for a Super Awesome Trip!!

• Stayed March 2013
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear NatrlGrl86,

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your experience. I am very happy to read that you were pleased with the cleanliness and the size of the room. We also appreciate the compliment to our bedding which was upgraded in late 2012. We are very proud of our roof top pool and I'm happy you had an opportunity to enjoy it during your visit. You've picked some great local eateries as recommendations, so we'll second that on the suggestions. Thank you again for staying with us and we appreciate your business.

Regards,
Nanyce Lanier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL. I repeat DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.
This hotel has no safes in the rooms, forcing hotel dwellers to leave their valuables in the open. I stayed here and found multiple personal items missing by the end of my stay, which amounts to over $2000. There has been extremely poor customer service on the part of both Marriott Courtyard and Marriott Claims. No one has helped me. Surprisingly, the Miami Beach Police Department has been more helpful to me than the hotel! Please MESSAGE ME through tripadvisor if you have had a similar experience.

If having all your valuables go missing is not enough reason to avoid this hotel, here are some other reasons: rude staff, no minibars in the room, no in-room dining options, disgusting pool.

I have stayed in Miami several times. The only reason I stayed at Marriott Courtyard was because the other hotels were booked.
These are other hotels that I do recommend:
1) Shelborne - beautiful updated lobby area, beautiful pool with attached restaurant. Also right on the beach. Priced similarly to the Courtyard.
2) The James Royal Palm - Nice trendy lobby, great outdoor restaurant, and the hotel will actually give you a 2:00pm checkout. Courtyard told me that they would charge me a half a day for a checkout at this time.
3) Loews- GORGEOUS. Pricier than Courtyard but not by much. Beautiful pool, restaurants, lobby. Rooms are exceptional as well. I can't say enough good things.

AGAIN DO NOT STAY IN MARRIOTT COURTYARD

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Lisa L,

Firstly, please accept my apologies that you left the hotel which such a bad impression. We take pride in our property and our service and I can assure we do not have a history of theft issues at this hotel. Additionally we do not have a claim for $2000 worth of valuables on file and the Miami Beach Police department has not visited our property to investigate the issue you have described.

You are correct, we do not offer in room safes. We do offer complimentary safes to all of our guests on the lobby level if needed. I can assure you any guest that reports an issue to our team we consistently go out of our way to assist them. I was very surprised to read that our staff was not helpful. We also do not offer mini-bars in the room, but we do have a 24 hour market that is fully stocked with food and beverages for your convenience. Additionally, we complete a routine cleaning of our pool area so I was again surprised to read your feed back regarding that area.

I would be happy to discuss any issues you encountered at our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Best regards,
Herndon, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Needing a room for four (2 adults/2 teenagers), I chose this hotel primarily because of its location. It was within easy walking distance (5 minutes) of the beach, shopping (Lincoln Road) and many restaurant choices (including Espanola Way). The hotel also offered rooms with 2 double beds (to accommodate 4 people) at a reasonable (at least for the expensive South Beach area) prices. Breakfast was also offered as part of the room rate (at time of booking), or added at time of check-in (for about $12/person).

We valet parked our car ($28/night) to avoid the trouble of finding a parking space nearby, but didn't take advantage of the roof top pool (which seemed OK for a quick dip), or the gym (which was adequate but very small).

And rather than eating breakfast in, we did Starbucks one morning (located less than 5 minutes away on Lincoln Road) and Ciao Bella (a great restaurant/bakery worthy of its own review) on the next.

Though the reception area was nice, our hotel room seemed a little worn. Next time I visit South Beach I'll probably look for a different hotel to try, though I would stay at the Courtyard Marriott again if I couldn't find a better deal elsewhere.

Room Tip: if you're looking for a nice view, avoid room 309
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Adam F.,

I appreciate your feed back regarding your stay with us. We definitely aim to leave a better impression than just "ok". Please accept my apologies for the room feeling worn. Thank you for providing the specific room number that will give us an opportunity to follow up for any opportunity. We take great pride in keeping our rooms well maintained and clean.

I'm happy to hear that you felt the price was fair and you didn't experience any problems while staying with us. I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again and make sure you leave with a memorable experience. Thank you again f or your comments.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I only stayed one night prior to boarding our cruise but what a delight! The staff were so friendly and helpful, the room well designed and very clean and it was in an excellent location - close to Ocean Drive, South Beach. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a short stay or an overnight in this vibrant area of Miami. My congratulations to the management and staff for their welcoming and friendly attitude - it made our stay memorable.
Julie Kennedy
Sydney Australia

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are very quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Mrs. Kennedy,

Thank you so much for your amazing review. I'm very happy to hear that the staff met your expectations and you enjoyed the hotel. It always feels good to know that we've made our guests happy. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We really appreciate your business and I hope you enjoyed the cruise.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations and we definitely hope to see you and your family in the future.

Sun Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Courtyard has an amazing staff that begins at the front door and goes throughout your stay. The front desk is outstanding (Joe and Carolina). The staff will do everything in their power to make sure you have an enjoyable stay. This trip was business (one week) and they were very accommodating in assigning a quieter room during this Spring Break season. They even recommended affordable places to eat as this town is well over-priced at almost all restaurants. The location is great (no views-but everything you need is a small walk away), secure building (the area at night is a bit sketchy with all the drunk Spring Breakers and do-rag wearing gang members out and about). For business this is a great choice-however I would never bring my family do to the evening element and surrounding area. Again-staff is amazing-hotel clean and efficient.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a higher floor away from Washington and the club next door.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your stay with us. I'm happy to hear that Joe and Carolina made your stay enjoyable. They do a great job of making sure our guests know how important they are and I appreciate you recognizing them. We do pride ourselves in offering the best stay for business or leisure guests and I'm happy to hear your stay was productive. South beach does have a very diverse crowd throughout the year, but we do have quite a few families that stay with us and really enjoy their stay. Hopefully we can change your mind about that in the future. Thanks again for your compliments to the staff and for choosing our hotel.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

$28 Valet parking only available since on busy street which is understandable, noisy neighbors heard through connecting door but hey -- spring break time, skipped breakfast cuz kinda pricey & ate on way outta town, staff was great, staircases confusing so stick to elevator.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for staying with us and please accept my apologies for the noisy neighbors. I appreciate your business and I'm happy to hear the staff was great! Thank you for your understanding and very pleased our hotel met your needs. Thank you again and we hope to see for future business trips.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

After staying at the property, I must say that a number of the reviews I read were definitly from people who must not travel much.

First of all while I was not hapy with the per night cost I had to realize that I was coming to Miami Beach during peak seson and had to expect to pay $200+ a night for a room. I would expect the same in NYC, Chicago or San Fran when demand is high. So while I thought it was expensive I could have easily spent $75 to $200 more a night to stay a block away on Collins ave.

For those of you farmiliar with the brand, this is like any other marriot courtyard that you would stay at anyplace in the country. Clean and well maintained. The only negative I had about the property was the slow elevators and the malfunctiuoning key reader in the elevator for the pool level. FYI only one elevator goes to the pool level and you need to reinsert the card every time the elevator stops. There was remodiling going on but you only heard noise during the mid-day.

Thus is not a resort property, it is not on the beach and deos not have views of the water (unless you go up to the pool level) if you want that go over to properties on collins and pay the price.

I found the people in the hotel friendly and efficient. Just as you would expect at a Marriott property They were helpful and attentive to our requests.

Location: The property is located on Washington Street - which is a downtown area. Washington is a busy four lane street 1 1/2 bocks from the beach. Around the property you see a mismash of toursit related shops. One block south of 15th there is a very nice colection of resturants and side walk cafe's that are moderatly priced. If you want more varienty and a mix of higher end shopping head 2 blocks north to the Linclon Mall which is a 6 block clolection of higher end shops resturants and cafe's. For those on a tight budget the McDonalds is at the corner of Linclon and Washington.
We felt pertty safe walking on Washington late at night. One of the other reviewers mis-identifed night clubs next door and across the street as strip clubs - they are NOT strip clubs..

If your looking for a clean/safe/well maintained hotel the courtyard will fit the bill. If you are envisioning a stay at one of the South Beach properties your see on ther Florida tourism commercials you will be disappointed - spend the extra 75-200 a night and live the dream :-)

It also on Linclon Just North of Washington where you can catch the Airport Flyer for $2.35 to MIA.
Beats paying $33 plus tip for a cab to the airport for the 30min trip..

There is not resturant in the property, they do serve a brakfast buffet for $12.95 where you can make your own waffel. It's convenient but not as nice as eating breakfast at one of the outdoor cafes at Linclon mall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Firstly, thank you for offering so much detail regarding your stay. Not only does it help other customers trying to decide if they want to stay, it also helps us to continue to improve. We agree that we are competitively priced in the market based on our location and convenience to all major attractions and the beach.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the elevator. You do only have to insert your key for access once, but the light will not illuminate for the pool level once the access is granted. Many guests become confused and think because the light disappears that they have to continue to insert the key. This is the way the elevator is designed and again I apologize if that was frustrating.

Correctly stated we are not resort, but we do cater to business and leisure guests. I'm happy to hear that you found our facility to be clean and the staff friendly. Our goal is to offer each guest the quality you expect when you visit a Marriott hotel and I'm very pleased that we succeeded.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope that you will visit us again when you're in the Miami Beach area.

Nanyce Lanier

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach? Share your experiences!