“an OK hotel with an OK price in a good, high cost location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #77 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Herndon, VA
“an OK hotel with an OK price in a good, high cost location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Needing a room for four (2 adults/2 teenagers), I chose this hotel primarily because of its location. It was within easy walking distance (5 minutes) of the beach, shopping (Lincoln Road) and many restaurant choices (including Espanola Way). The hotel also offered rooms with 2 double beds (to accommodate 4 people) at a reasonable (at least for the expensive South Beach area) prices. Breakfast was also offered as part of the room rate (at time of booking), or added at time of check-in (for about $12/person).

We valet parked our car ($28/night) to avoid the trouble of finding a parking space nearby, but didn't take advantage of the roof top pool (which seemed OK for a quick dip), or the gym (which was adequate but very small).

And rather than eating breakfast in, we did Starbucks one morning (located less than 5 minutes away on Lincoln Road) and Ciao Bella (a great restaurant/bakery worthy of its own review) on the next.

Though the reception area was nice, our hotel room seemed a little worn. Next time I visit South Beach I'll probably look for a different hotel to try, though I would stay at the Courtyard Marriott again if I couldn't find a better deal elsewhere.

Room Tip: if you're looking for a nice view, avoid room 309
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Adam F.,

I appreciate your feed back regarding your stay with us. We definitely aim to leave a better impression than just "ok". Please accept my apologies for the room feeling worn. Thank you for providing the specific room number that will give us an opportunity to follow up for any opportunity. We take great pride in keeping our rooms well maintained and clean.

I'm happy to hear that you felt the price was fair and you didn't experience any problems while staying with us. I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again and make sure you leave with a memorable experience. Thank you again f or your comments.

Nanyce Lanier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I only stayed one night prior to boarding our cruise but what a delight! The staff were so friendly and helpful, the room well designed and very clean and it was in an excellent location - close to Ocean Drive, South Beach. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a short stay or an overnight in this vibrant area of Miami. My congratulations to the management and staff for their welcoming and friendly attitude - it made our stay memorable.
Julie Kennedy
Sydney Australia

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are very quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Mrs. Kennedy,

Thank you so much for your amazing review. I'm very happy to hear that the staff met your expectations and you enjoyed the hotel. It always feels good to know that we've made our guests happy. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We really appreciate your business and I hope you enjoyed the cruise.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations and we definitely hope to see you and your family in the future.

Sun Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Courtyard has an amazing staff that begins at the front door and goes throughout your stay. The front desk is outstanding (Joe and Carolina). The staff will do everything in their power to make sure you have an enjoyable stay. This trip was business (one week) and they were very accommodating in assigning a quieter room during this Spring Break season. They even recommended affordable places to eat as this town is well over-priced at almost all restaurants. The location is great (no views-but everything you need is a small walk away), secure building (the area at night is a bit sketchy with all the drunk Spring Breakers and do-rag wearing gang members out and about). For business this is a great choice-however I would never bring my family do to the evening element and surrounding area. Again-staff is amazing-hotel clean and efficient.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a higher floor away from Washington and the club next door.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your stay with us. I'm happy to hear that Joe and Carolina made your stay enjoyable. They do a great job of making sure our guests know how important they are and I appreciate you recognizing them. We do pride ourselves in offering the best stay for business or leisure guests and I'm happy to hear your stay was productive. South beach does have a very diverse crowd throughout the year, but we do have quite a few families that stay with us and really enjoy their stay. Hopefully we can change your mind about that in the future. Thanks again for your compliments to the staff and for choosing our hotel.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

$28 Valet parking only available since on busy street which is understandable, noisy neighbors heard through connecting door but hey -- spring break time, skipped breakfast cuz kinda pricey & ate on way outta town, staff was great, staircases confusing so stick to elevator.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for staying with us and please accept my apologies for the noisy neighbors. I appreciate your business and I'm happy to hear the staff was great! Thank you for your understanding and very pleased our hotel met your needs. Thank you again and we hope to see for future business trips.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

After staying at the property, I must say that a number of the reviews I read were definitly from people who must not travel much.

First of all while I was not hapy with the per night cost I had to realize that I was coming to Miami Beach during peak seson and had to expect to pay $200+ a night for a room. I would expect the same in NYC, Chicago or San Fran when demand is high. So while I thought it was expensive I could have easily spent $75 to $200 more a night to stay a block away on Collins ave.

For those of you farmiliar with the brand, this is like any other marriot courtyard that you would stay at anyplace in the country. Clean and well maintained. The only negative I had about the property was the slow elevators and the malfunctiuoning key reader in the elevator for the pool level. FYI only one elevator goes to the pool level and you need to reinsert the card every time the elevator stops. There was remodiling going on but you only heard noise during the mid-day.

Thus is not a resort property, it is not on the beach and deos not have views of the water (unless you go up to the pool level) if you want that go over to properties on collins and pay the price.

I found the people in the hotel friendly and efficient. Just as you would expect at a Marriott property They were helpful and attentive to our requests.

Location: The property is located on Washington Street - which is a downtown area. Washington is a busy four lane street 1 1/2 bocks from the beach. Around the property you see a mismash of toursit related shops. One block south of 15th there is a very nice colection of resturants and side walk cafe's that are moderatly priced. If you want more varienty and a mix of higher end shopping head 2 blocks north to the Linclon Mall which is a 6 block clolection of higher end shops resturants and cafe's. For those on a tight budget the McDonalds is at the corner of Linclon and Washington.
We felt pertty safe walking on Washington late at night. One of the other reviewers mis-identifed night clubs next door and across the street as strip clubs - they are NOT strip clubs..

If your looking for a clean/safe/well maintained hotel the courtyard will fit the bill. If you are envisioning a stay at one of the South Beach properties your see on ther Florida tourism commercials you will be disappointed - spend the extra 75-200 a night and live the dream :-)

It also on Linclon Just North of Washington where you can catch the Airport Flyer for $2.35 to MIA.
Beats paying $33 plus tip for a cab to the airport for the 30min trip..

There is not resturant in the property, they do serve a brakfast buffet for $12.95 where you can make your own waffel. It's convenient but not as nice as eating breakfast at one of the outdoor cafes at Linclon mall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Firstly, thank you for offering so much detail regarding your stay. Not only does it help other customers trying to decide if they want to stay, it also helps us to continue to improve. We agree that we are competitively priced in the market based on our location and convenience to all major attractions and the beach.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the elevator. You do only have to insert your key for access once, but the light will not illuminate for the pool level once the access is granted. Many guests become confused and think because the light disappears that they have to continue to insert the key. This is the way the elevator is designed and again I apologize if that was frustrating.

Correctly stated we are not resort, but we do cater to business and leisure guests. I'm happy to hear that you found our facility to be clean and the staff friendly. Our goal is to offer each guest the quality you expect when you visit a Marriott hotel and I'm very pleased that we succeeded.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope that you will visit us again when you're in the Miami Beach area.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Recently stayed here for 2 nights after returning from a cruise. Everything about this hotel was excellent. Great location, great service from front desk staff and breakfast server. Great room (2 queen beds and pull out sofa). Awesome rooftop pool with cabanas and great views of South Beach and Atlantic Ocean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback. I am extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed everything about our hotel. I hope you and your friends enjoyed your cruise. We hope you will visit us again in the future. Thank you again for the compliments, we really appreciate it!

Auburn, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were in Miami for the BCS bowl and after being shuffled around from one Marriott to another, we finally ended up at the Courtyard on South Beach. First of all, we were glad to be on South Beach after having landed in the first Marriott in downtown nowhere Miami (where it would be impossible to walk around without the possibility of being mugged).
The location of the Courtyard by Marriott on South Beach is easily identifiable (simply say to your Cabbie 'I'm across from the 'Madonna' ~ a strip club). The staff was courteous, the rooms were clean - there's no free continental breakfast (however, you can go downstairs and have a semi-continental breakfast and pay for it and tip your server or you can just walk down the street and get the equivalent thereof for half the price).
Having said all of that , it was less than we'd hoped for but all that we expected for a Marriott Courtyard on South Beach when your in town for a BCS Championship Bowl Game. We're just thankful that we didn't end up in the ghetto of downtown Miami.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you were shuffled around a bit before getting to our property. We're happy to hear that the staff was courteous and you were pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel. I do hope that overall you and your significant other enjoyed your time in Miami. We hope you will visit us in the future for an even better experience without the large event in town. We're in a perfect location to relax and walk to the beach. Thanks again!

Nanyce Lanier

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach? Share your experiences!