“Great Utility Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Utility Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

After staying at the property, I must say that a number of the reviews I read were definitly from people who must not travel much.

First of all while I was not hapy with the per night cost I had to realize that I was coming to Miami Beach during peak seson and had to expect to pay $200+ a night for a room. I would expect the same in NYC, Chicago or San Fran when demand is high. So while I thought it was expensive I could have easily spent $75 to $200 more a night to stay a block away on Collins ave.

For those of you farmiliar with the brand, this is like any other marriot courtyard that you would stay at anyplace in the country. Clean and well maintained. The only negative I had about the property was the slow elevators and the malfunctiuoning key reader in the elevator for the pool level. FYI only one elevator goes to the pool level and you need to reinsert the card every time the elevator stops. There was remodiling going on but you only heard noise during the mid-day.

Thus is not a resort property, it is not on the beach and deos not have views of the water (unless you go up to the pool level) if you want that go over to properties on collins and pay the price.

I found the people in the hotel friendly and efficient. Just as you would expect at a Marriott property They were helpful and attentive to our requests.

Location: The property is located on Washington Street - which is a downtown area. Washington is a busy four lane street 1 1/2 bocks from the beach. Around the property you see a mismash of toursit related shops. One block south of 15th there is a very nice colection of resturants and side walk cafe's that are moderatly priced. If you want more varienty and a mix of higher end shopping head 2 blocks north to the Linclon Mall which is a 6 block clolection of higher end shops resturants and cafe's. For those on a tight budget the McDonalds is at the corner of Linclon and Washington.
We felt pertty safe walking on Washington late at night. One of the other reviewers mis-identifed night clubs next door and across the street as strip clubs - they are NOT strip clubs..

If your looking for a clean/safe/well maintained hotel the courtyard will fit the bill. If you are envisioning a stay at one of the South Beach properties your see on ther Florida tourism commercials you will be disappointed - spend the extra 75-200 a night and live the dream :-)

It also on Linclon Just North of Washington where you can catch the Airport Flyer for $2.35 to MIA.
Beats paying $33 plus tip for a cab to the airport for the 30min trip..

There is not resturant in the property, they do serve a brakfast buffet for $12.95 where you can make your own waffel. It's convenient but not as nice as eating breakfast at one of the outdoor cafes at Linclon mall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Firstly, thank you for offering so much detail regarding your stay. Not only does it help other customers trying to decide if they want to stay, it also helps us to continue to improve. We agree that we are competitively priced in the market based on our location and convenience to all major attractions and the beach.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the elevator. You do only have to insert your key for access once, but the light will not illuminate for the pool level once the access is granted. Many guests become confused and think because the light disappears that they have to continue to insert the key. This is the way the elevator is designed and again I apologize if that was frustrating.

Correctly stated we are not resort, but we do cater to business and leisure guests. I'm happy to hear that you found our facility to be clean and the staff friendly. Our goal is to offer each guest the quality you expect when you visit a Marriott hotel and I'm very pleased that we succeeded.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope that you will visit us again when you're in the Miami Beach area.

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Recently stayed here for 2 nights after returning from a cruise. Everything about this hotel was excellent. Great location, great service from front desk staff and breakfast server. Great room (2 queen beds and pull out sofa). Awesome rooftop pool with cabanas and great views of South Beach and Atlantic Ocean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback. I am extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed everything about our hotel. I hope you and your friends enjoyed your cruise. We hope you will visit us again in the future. Thank you again for the compliments, we really appreciate it!

Auburn, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were in Miami for the BCS bowl and after being shuffled around from one Marriott to another, we finally ended up at the Courtyard on South Beach. First of all, we were glad to be on South Beach after having landed in the first Marriott in downtown nowhere Miami (where it would be impossible to walk around without the possibility of being mugged).
The location of the Courtyard by Marriott on South Beach is easily identifiable (simply say to your Cabbie 'I'm across from the 'Madonna' ~ a strip club). The staff was courteous, the rooms were clean - there's no free continental breakfast (however, you can go downstairs and have a semi-continental breakfast and pay for it and tip your server or you can just walk down the street and get the equivalent thereof for half the price).
Having said all of that , it was less than we'd hoped for but all that we expected for a Marriott Courtyard on South Beach when your in town for a BCS Championship Bowl Game. We're just thankful that we didn't end up in the ghetto of downtown Miami.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you were shuffled around a bit before getting to our property. We're happy to hear that the staff was courteous and you were pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel. I do hope that overall you and your significant other enjoyed your time in Miami. We hope you will visit us in the future for an even better experience without the large event in town. We're in a perfect location to relax and walk to the beach. Thanks again!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a quick weekend trip; booked a few days before using Marriott points. Excellent location as it's three blocks from the beach, 2 blocks from Lincoln road, and 1 block off Collins. Amazing rooftop pool area with comfy furniture and cabana chairs. Upper floor room was clean and quiet but showed its age. Staff was friendly and accommodating. I think all hotels in the area are quite overpriced. Next time I would probably stay further out, and drive in and park in the garage for the day.

Room Tip: Upper floor was quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I appreciate you acknowledging our amazing staff and rooftop pool. Overall it seems your stay with us was pleasant and we definitely appreciate the feedback. We also offer great prices throughout the summer months and hope you will give us another try in the future. As you stated, you really can't beat the location and the ease of getting around the Miami Beach area. Thank you again!

Best regards,
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here at the end of January'13 overnight before a cruise out of the Port of Miami. I used Marriott points to stay here, but it didn't lessen the sting of a poor value. The rooms were rather pricey at $279 per night and honestly, you're not getting much for the money.

I will say at the outset however that the staff here is excellent! I found them all to be very warm, pleasant and helpful, which probably compensated for the poor value. There was also a very nice rooftop deck/pool. The rooms however, are quite small but even worse, outdated and sparse for a Courtyard. Our room had poor storage and a very outdated bathroom. The location was convenient to Ocean Drive, Collins Ave, Lincoln Rd.

I would think twice before staying here again, considering the huge selection of other hotels in the area. I stayed out of loyalty to Marriott, but before I do it again, they'll have to significantly upgrade this hotel or bring down the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay with us on Miami Beach. We're obviously disappointed that you left the hotel feeling that our property was only adequate. We do appreciate your compliments to our staff, the location, and our amenities. Are we are looking forward to a lobby renovation this summer offering an extended food menu and Starbucks coffee. We hope that you will come back and give us another try in the future. We do appreciate your feedback and your loyalty to Marriott. Thank you again!

Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Really nice hotel... had great service and the rates was competitive for the area. It is close to Miami Beach without having to pay for the strip high hotel prices. I was worried about location when driving in as it seems out of the way to the main road but spent 5 days and had no issues. Great points on this one for me was excellent location to great spots within the Miami beach area, great value and service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive feedback regarding your stay. I'm pleased to hear that our location was a great fit for your needs. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Best regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I spent 7 days here recently. Having never been to Miami Beach I found this hotel very nice. The staff were outstanding and very friendly. The only downfall was continuing noise from construction. I went to the beach instead of pool and solved the noise issue! Loved the beautiful big beach. I could watch the ships leaving port for cruises after dinner every day, quite a nice relaxing location.

• Stayed January 2013
GM_MiamiBeach, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your understanding with any noise interruptions. We're happy to hear that overall you really enjoyed your stay. I hope you will visit us again in the future. Thanks again!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach? Share your experiences!