“Poor service at a high price” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #67 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Poor service at a high price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed here for a conference. The hotel was full and the service was poor. Housekeeping left a different, incomplete variety of towels when they cleaned each day. I needed assistance with some directions and restaurant recommendations and the front desk personnel were not really interested in helping me. I even commented to the Service Manager about the poor service when I checked out and I barely got an acknowledgement that I had spoken. My room was fine--mostly clean and functional; if you don't have an ocean view you don't have much of a view at all (and I did not have an ocean view). And I agree with the other reviewer; look for parking nearby vs using the valet service. It is expensive. This is not one of Marriott's better Courtyards!

Room Tip: Of course, try to get an ocean view if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent Marriott stay. We are very disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your time while visiting one of our properties. It does appear that you intended to provide feedback on another Courtyard in this post. We are conveniently located in south beach and only two blocks from the beach. We do not have direct ocean front rooms, but one of our sister properties does. It seems that you stayed at that hotel and have confused ours on your response. I regret that you did not have a pleasant experience within our brand and I hope this does not prevent you from continuing to choose Marriott.

Nanyce Lanier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Apopka, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Bad first. Do not stay here with children there is a strip club right across the street. Lucky for me I did not bring kids. Night club next door as well. Don't use the valet parking, there is a public parking facility just one block up and it is cheaper overnight. Do not count on a "business center" there is only one lame computer right by the elevators & you have to stand the whole time you are using it. I had to ask an employee who was greeting a buddy next to my room to please lower their voices at night because they were talking very loud (thus thin walls). They charge for breakfast no complimentary breakfast. There is a McDonalds up the street if you are looking to save money.
Positives: Reasonable price...try booking way in advance to get a better deal. Some friendly staff. Nice size room but tiny bathrooms. My room was facing away from the street on the 4th floor which was ideal. Two blocks up the street there is a side street with great restaurants if you are looking to stay close.
Overall ok but not what I expected for the Marriott brand.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CourtyardFLL, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you felt your stay was simply okay with us. We definitely strive to make each guest experience a special one. We do lease a parking lot near our hotel for the convenience of our guests traveling with a vehicle, Please accept our apologies if this service was not beneficial during your stay. We offer a full breakfast buffet at a nominal charge in comparison to many of the restaurants located on south beach. Additionally our hotel is located in the heart of south beach and we are very close to many of the entertainment venues in the area. We have had the pleasure of hosting many families at our hotel that were pleased with our accommodations. I hope you will accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for sharing your opinion and we will continue to use the candid responses to help us improve.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel. The staff was more than accommodating throughout my stay. The manager Joe was very helpful to me with directions and room service. He and the other staff members always greeted me a warm smile big hello. They all could not have been nicer!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your post. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for recognizing Joe for his service, He takes great pride in caring for our guests and we are extremely lucky to have him. Thank you again and we hope to see you again!

Best regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Great trip for Art Basel. The hotel is located in an ideal location, walking distance to Lincoln Road, the beach and the convention center. Joe, who I believe manages the front desk was wonderful. He provided us with an early check in, a great room (for four people) and was truly hospitable. I look forward to going back again next year!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us! We really appreciate your positive feedback regarding your visit. We're happy to hear that our hotel met your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Thanks again,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Small hotel with a great location, near the convention center, beach, restaurants, shopping, and right on the bus line to South Beach area. Lovely rooftop pool. Rooms are small but you only sleep there. The staff is very gracious. Our room on the fourth floor back was quiet, and the AC is the quietest in any hotel we've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room that does not face the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We're happy that our location worked out well for you two. We hope you will visit us again in the future, thanks again!

Sunny regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful visit. The staff is amazing. I wish I could remember the valets name,he went way beyond expectations. I had a scooter that had to be lifted out of my van when we arrived and lifted in to the van when we left. He treated us so kind as though it was an honor to help us. His help was fantastic between him and Alex at front desk we had a wonderful visit. Thanks to all The Young Family

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I'm happy to hear that Alex was fantastic! We are very happy to have him on our team and the valet personnel do a great job of assisting our guests. Thank you for recognizing both of them. Thank you again and we hope you will visit in the near future.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Even though I can't complaint about the room service, I valley parked my car and lost my vacation pictures and amazing sony camera that was in the car. What I was told was that they would investigate to see where/who/when my camera was stolen but once I left they said they can't prove the camera is stolen with in their terriroty. As a matter of fact, don't trust their employee at all and watch out for your belongings carefully. The valley park manager even mentioned that they know that such incident happens a lot. I will never ever stay in this hotel and/or its brand.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you lost your camera during your vacation. Honestly that does not happen all the time and I'm sorry that someone told you that. Please contact the hotel directly and I would be happy to investigate this issue for you. Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Nanyce Lanier

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach? Share your experiences!