“Great price for location and room!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #79 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Scaumburg Illinois, United States
“Great price for location and room!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Aug 2012

Initially planned on staying only 2 nights but my friends and I extended our stay for an extra 2 for the weekend! We were located on the 2nd floor. Location is great (5-10 Mins away walking) from the main strip Ocean Drive, the night clubs on Washington Ave ("Cameo" and I believe "Dream"), and not to mention the gentlemen's club conveniently right across the street (Madonna's). Be sure to put the rooftop pool to good use since I didn't see many people up there (Ask which elevator to use because only one can get you to the pool area NOT both). Rooftop view was great to capture the sunrise and had an even better skyline to reminisce on at night, not to mention the personal cabanas were not charged extra like some other hotels I read up on! The Other hotels that were literally 5 Mins away on the strip, were priced at least 100$-150$ more per night and about half the size of the room (granted they were on the main strip). My friends and I booked the Queen size double and had plenty of room not to mention the pull out couch. If you are looking for a "quiet" family atmosphere it might not be your ideal spot but it can be done. Just Try to avoid the 1st floor rooms if you are with family or young ones- as I've read about noise complaints until 5-6AM from other reviews.

Extra $$: breakfast about $12 each , but my advice go out and explore and get yourself a filling meal for roughly same price from a restaurant. Valet around 25$ per night or you can try and find street parking, but will have to go back to feed the meter maybe 2-3 times or park in parking garage (16th St) and pay when you leave (about the same price but you have the security that YOU parked your car without theft or vandalism), and of course Tax on room.

Pros side: if you are looking to go out (food, bar, club, etc) ask the staff as they were always helpful to me, or other guests in the lobby/pool for advice/opinions (almost all restaurants on Ocean Drive have a prolonged "Happy Hour"). Who knows they might know that one small place you've been looking for! (Also clubs are open until 4-5am so arriving at 10-11PM would be considered EARLY) Internet was included and could be accessed everywhere inside. Once again the staff was great, the beds were comfortable, bathrooms were clean, and the overall stay was GREAT!!

Cons side: Ice, vending, and workout area were all thrown into one corner of the main ground floor. Breakfast dining area is not huge in space or food selection, but again I recommend going out and explore before the crowds. To my surprise our room did not have a mini fridge or microwave (be sure to ask, some may have them). Housekeeping was never late, so be sure to flip your sign/tag if you do not wish to be disturbed after a long night OUT!

Overall for the price (around 200-240$ after taxes depending on what days) was VERY reasonable for South Beach. The location in my opinion was the next best place coming 2nd only to Ocean Dr hotels. The area was not overcrowded, but felt very alive as restaurants and shops were a mere walks away. In terms of cleanliness or issues with staff I never came across any conflicts. If at all you are not completely convinced of a room (goes for anywhere), request to take a quick tour of the room as i did. I would return again myself and would most definitely recommend to friends!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
david m, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Great detail in your review about the area and location. Your information will help many guests explore and enjoy the South Beach area. I'm glad to hear that you extended your vacation and decided to stay with us. I hope you decide to visit again and continue your exploration of the Miami Beach South Beach area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

if you are looking for good location this is the best location but the other hand you can not comparing between this hotel & other it's good for just sleep & go on , the stuff are friendly and the room is clean, with good place at pool roof to see the city.
but if you are looking for hotels service you wont find it here like spa, bar & restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our location. I hope you had a great time in South Beach and it sounds like you enjoyed the roof top pool area. Thank you again for sharing and I hope you think of us again in the future.
Atlanta, Ga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed at this property for three nights on a get-a-way with some friends. I dont think it is the best place for a family. However, for a bunch of single guys, I think it is perfect. It is located on the area of Washington Ave near nightclubs, bars and restaurants. Additionally, it is located near the Lincoln Road outdoor mall thing. There is lots of energy in this location and is awesome for people watching. Notably, there is a strip club called the Madonna directly accross the street.

The hotel is sandwiched between a rather large hip hop night club (Dream) and some Hookah bar. If you have are a light sleeper, dont stay here. I could here the music from both places until 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning. I am not a light sleeper, so I was able to sleep. And it didnt seem to bother anyone else.

The service was good, although the clerk made a mistake on one of our rooms. Somehow, the computer did not recognize that we were in the room, although we had received keys. We cleared that up without any problem.

There is a rooftop pool, that NO ONE seemed to use. In fact, I went up there a few times and there was not any there on each occassion. It is a nice facility with a great view of Washington Avenue. The pool is small. However, it is clean with really great furniture. I had my own little cabana chair for an hour or so.

Compartively speaking, the price was good. Especially, when you consider the amount of properties that charged the same price or charged more money and were of the same caliber of this property. And the property seemed newly renovated. The room decor was adequate.

My experience at this hotel didnt change my life, but it met my minimal standards. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
david m, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us here at the Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach. I'm very glad you were able to enjoy the pool area and one of the cabanas. We are always striving to improve our product and service. Your comments will help us in our goal. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to be welcoming you back soon.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

If you have been searching/comparing hotels in the South Beach area like I have, look no further. During my research hotels ranged from $250-500+ per night for a weekend. This hotel was one of the less expensive ones and had great reviews so we said why not! The location to this hotel was amazing, the second we pulled into the valet line we were in love. It is located 2 blocks (5min walk) from the actual beach, 2 blocks from Ocean Drive, and prime in the middle of anything and everything. The second you walk out of the lobby onto the street you are in prime time Miami Beach/Tourist Zone. We were on the 4th floor and had a great view from our window. THE ROOFTOP POOL WAS AMAZING. It was a pool that you would not expect as a typical Courtyard, it looked like it was a rooftop pool at the W hotel. There is Valet parking, $28 per day. The price is the same as any other parking garage in the area so it's smart to Valet (includes in and out as many times per day). The only downfall about the hotel was the room had no hair dryer, so ladies make sure you bring your own from home! We booked a room online that included breakfast it was only an additional $10 over the normal price. If you are going to do breakfast @ the hotel make sure you book the room where it's included for 2 adults online, other wise it's $12.95 per person for the buffet. So you are already getting a bargain from the beginning. (It was called the stay for breakfast rate) We had no issues of the club being loud, just don't get a room on the first floor...perfectly silent all night long on the 4th floor. We will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
david m, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for a great review and I’m glad you had a restful night sleep plus some fun in the sun. I apologize for not having a hair dryer in the room waiting for you but I’ will make sure its in the closet for your next visit. We recent made some improvements to the Rooftop Pool and I’m glad you were able to enjoy them. I appreciate you sharing your experience and please reach out to us on your next visit. Again thank you for your review.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My Wife and I stayed at this hotel last week for a 2 night (Thursday/Friday) before heading down to Key West.

Overall we liked it, we were upgraded to a suite which was pretty nice. A/C was sketchy but overall still kept the room moderately cool. It had a fridge and 2 TV's and plenty of space so that was great. Overall clean rooms and very good staff. The front desk and valet were excellent as was the cleaning service.

The Pool area is nice, not huge but definitely enough space with great views. We spent a lot of time up there chilling and having a few drinks (pre mixed since no bar).

The location is perfect, a 10/15 min. walk to the beach, right by lots of bars on Collins, Ocean Dr. and Lincoln Mall.

My only beef with the hotel is that next door is a dance club and on Friday (thank God it was closed Thursday) we heard bass booming all night and we weren't drunk enough to just pass out so it was anoying. If I was a family and had kids I'd be pi$$ed. Since I semi expected this from other reviews I couldnt get too upset but was surprised at how loud it realy was.

Other than that we enjoyed our stay. Probably will stay at the other Marriott property next time around.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach on your way to the Keys. I truly apologize that the noise disturbed your stay with us but I’m glad you enjoyed the suite. We strive for you to have a great visit to South Beach and will always focus on our guest concerns. I can assure you that your comments will help us succeed in that venture.

I hope you will allow us in the future a second opportunity to regain your confidence and demonstrate the outstanding service and quality that you have come to expect from Marriott. We have also made some upgrades to the pool for you to enjoy your next time to South Beach. Again thank you for your review.
Dundalk, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel is small and not what you would expect from a Marriott. But, the staff was friendly and the rooms were clean, yet small. I stayed alone on business travel, so it wasn't a big deal to have a roomy place, but it would have been nice to have a mini fridge in the room. Later through the visit I found out that some rooms have fridges, guess I should have requested one. I thought $14 for breakfast in the lobby area was a bit pricey but most food choices in Miami Beach are equally pricey. I loved the location, could walk to Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, the beach and Convention Center which was where my conference was held. The only time we needed a taxi was to and from airport. Overall, I have no huge complaints, just a little disappointed in the room size and amenities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
CourtyardFLL, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We have heard mixed reviews on the size of our rooms, but we thank you for expressing your opinion. We continue to look for ways to add more space to our rooms and continue to give the guests the value they expect from Marriott. I hope you will give us another try in the future. Thanks again!

Regards,
Nanyce Lanier
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I sent the following letter to Marriot--

As a gold elite member, I have always enjoyed my stays at Marriot. However, my stay at this hotel has made me think twice about the quality of the Marriot brand. The hotel were not up to par with Marriot Hotel Category 6 standards. Here are some of the problems:
1) Wall paint peeling and water stains on ceilings
2) Poor bed mattresses
3) Substandard pillows

Additionally, I experienced the following horrible experience:
1) Bitten by bedbugs the first night I stayed. I was bitten in four different areas which itched for a week.
2) In the process of the manager attempting to rectify the bedbug issue, all my clothes were dry cleaned. However, 2 of my shirts were completely damaged in the process.
3) The manager continuously denied existence of bedbugs despite of seeing my bites.
4) Terrible customer service. I was promised that service reps would be at my room in 20 minutes to help move (due to bedbug problem), but it took them a phone call reminder to come and came 45 minutes later instead.
5) Housekeeping was posted at my room door as I returned to my room in the afternoon, I felt like I was being herded out like cattle.

The Manager tried his best to rectify the situation (with bedbugs) and I commend him for his positive customer service and attitude. However, some of his staff are not as customer service-minded as he is. Additionally, I don't believe that he did everything he could in order to make things right (ie. Help me find another hotel to move to at the same rate).

My experience at this Marriot is horrible and I hope that future customers do not end up with the same predicament. The Marriot brand is superb and the issues at this hotel should be rectified immediately. My poor experience at this hotel is detrimental to Marriot's reputation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear EB616,

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. Please know we truly value our Marriott Elite customers and appreciate your business. We have an ongoing general clean and preventive maintenance to address needs throughout the hotel as we have to be prepared for wear and tear with constant traffic. We also upgraded all of the mattresses in November to provide improved comfort. In addition, we've changed many of our pillows to a thicker, fluffier option. We definitely do not have a bedbug problem throughout our hotel. We also have a process in place and a regular pest control contract to prevent issues at the property. We do understand the ongoing concern of bedbugs throughout the world and how they are transferred from one location to another. Please know we do our best to prevent an inconvenience to our guests. I hope that your issue was rectified when you contacted our corporate office; I apologize for the staff communication during your stay. I'm happy to hear that the manager did attempt to help, but again apologetic that overall we did not meet your needs. Again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay.

Best regards,
Nanyce Lanier

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach? Share your experiences!