“GREAT LOCATION, BUT...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #129 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
camilla00
“GREAT LOCATION, BUT...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel has an awesome location. It was just a few blocks walking distance from ocean drive, close to Washington avenue and the ¢.50 local bus, and about a $20 cab ride from the port of Miami. A++ on location.

The staff was great also. Super friendly, outgoing, and very helpful. They even had candy for Halloween!

This hotel is nothing luxurious. If it is your first time visiting this particular establishment, the initial impression isn't so great. In fact, it may even be a bit questionable, but it's fairly decent.

Upon entering the room it smelled nice and clean which offered a bit of reassurance. However, the room was still a bit skanky for lack of a better word. The television kept shutting off, the tub was a little stained, and there was a small problem with sugar ants.

In a nut shell, the hotel worked well as we were just there overnight. I'm sure this is works great for younger crowds, or anyone that just comes to party or hang out at the beach. However, with a few minor updates, then it would be suitable for any visitor.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The location of this hotel makes it acceptable, but it's very basic. TV is out dated, no amenities offered except for a very basic breakfast. Otherwise it's an ok hotel for budget travelers.
The hotel is close to many restaurants and few blocks to the beach. The room we stayed in was ok and big enough for 2 people.

• Stayed November 2014
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is located about 3 junctions from Ocean Drive, the main focus of South Beach, in which is actually not far to walk. It is conveniently located just behind Washington Avenue, 8 Street and bus stops to downtown and airport is on the 7th Street.

Easy access to many restuarants, shops and publictransport are plus for this hotel as Bus 120 is for downtown and Bus150 on the opposite direction will take us to the airport; it only cost USD 2.25 for the downtown ride and USD 2.65 to get to the Miami International Airport. Taxi from dwontown is about USD 28.

I arrived at 11.00am from Orlando by busand there was no room to check-in till 3.00pm, the official check-in time for the hotel, in which I am fine but it was the manner in which I was told that was lack of empathy and sounded pretty robotic. To aggravate matter, there is also no bathroom or toilet at the lobby for guests to ease themselves or even to change into something more comfortable after a long and tiring journey and the staff will again mechnaically tell you that you can either opt for the restaurants' or public toilets located at the beach front (Ocean Drive)!

Stayed 3 nights, the room and bathroom look clean but the soft linens didn't smell fresh and the curtains have dirty stained marks. There were also ants on the pantry counter throughtout my stay. The room has a very strong smell of Clorox when I checked-in, corridor looks dingy and not brightly lighted.

Another thing that amazes me was the manner on how majority of its staff handle questions in regards to services offered by other operators i.e. for the pubic transportation saying that it is foolish to take the bus to the airport as we may loose things on board and never get it back as compare to the transport that the hotel arranged and the public transport is seldom on time! Well, I guess is a well-known fact that we should always be vigilant and keep all our belongings with us wherever we are and I took the bus to downtown and to the airport in which I didn't encounter any timing issues; then in reply to a question on tours - I was told the tour arranged by the hotel, we get directly picked up at the hotel wherelse other tours, we will need to go to some other pickup points that I truly understand but I don't think is fair to say that we may not get to go or get picked up as other tour operators are unreliable!

Breakfast is bare basicas compared to many other hotels that I had stayed for this closed to 3 weeks trip and no hot items at all except for the coffee and tea,

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main room,
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014 via mobile

Very dirty ! Room was terrible ! We ended up leaving and when we complained ! The manager SAID ! To bad you had a groupon ! Your very cheap ! What did you think this was the Ritz!!! Really . So rude .

• Stayed October 2014
Exton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

My dad and I each had a room here for a short stay in South Beach. You can catch the bus to the airport or to downtown Miami just a block away. The beach is a short walk, and along the beach is a great path for running. The kitchenette in my room was convenient as I could walk to Publix supermarket (10 min), and also had a 7-11 one block away. The room smelled like bleach, so I felt it was clean. But at the same time, the floor nor the futon looked clean. I also had some little ants crawling on the kitchen counter. The room was very large, bathroom was large, and A/C worked great and was easily controlled. My dad's room had some technical difficulties, including the TV remote and the microwave. My room was at the back, so their was not a lot of traffic noise. Overall, this is a sufficient hotel with a great price and an ideal location.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

The rooms were just average , but I am not complaining because you get what you pay for . The rooms were ok , but were very clean and well kept . They had complimentary breakfast consisting of cereals and juices . The plus point of the hotel is the location . It is just two blocks away from south beach ( 7 mins walk) and also very near to all the restaurants and the shopping complexes . They have valet car parking services which I think is very much needed in Miami .
I would recommend this hotel just for the location and the price.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on a long layover on our way to Mexico. The general area the hotel is in is OK. I didn't feel unsafe, but it wasn't the nicest. The hotel itself was laughably outdated and dingy but clean enough. No problems checking in or out and within walking distance to plenty of bars and bus stops.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!