“Terrible Hotel - Do Not Stay” 1 of 5 stars

Royal South Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   763 Pennsylvania Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #128 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Terrible Hotel - Do Not Stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

just came back from this hotel. Do Not Stay!!!!!

First of all the reviews on here is very confusing. There are some that rate it high and others very low. I will say that the ones rating it high are questionable. Let me explain.

I booked this hotel for a little getaway for my Wife and I. I was sold on the pictures and the locations.

When we arrived, it was nothing like the pictures or description. The entrance to the "hotel" is in the back. They have no lobby, only a section with a desk to check you in. The place is a bit run down. You get what you pay for and I thought for a quick getaway weekend this will be fine. I was wrong!

The room was ok, had the motel kind of feel. I did not see a closet although they had closet looking area with a curtain separating it.

We left our luggage and went out to eat. We came back to find a surprise....

There is a Night Club below our room. We can hear all the conversations and the music below. In fact our room was vibrating from all the bass.

We notified the front desk and asked to be moved. They mentioned they were all booked and could not move us. However, if they could, the problem would still be there as people from highest floor can still hear and feel the music.

At that moment we decided we could not stay. This is where things get interesting. Take it for what it is. I'm simply documenting what transpired. The second part of this review is about Hotels.com.

1. Front Desks mentioned that they understood if we did not want to stay but I would have to call Hotels.com as they are the ones I paid.

2. Called Hotels.com and described the situation. They put me on hold to call the hotel. I was on hold for about 15 mins. Hotels.com came back on the line to tell me the front desk verified my story and that I have 2 options. They can try to find me another hotel for tomorrow but I would have to stay overnight. Or, I can find a room tonight but I would still be charge for the one night stay. They claimed hotel policy. That was unacceptable and I wanted to speak to a supervisor, I was put on hold for 20 mins only to be disconnected.

3. Called front desk and asked why they wanted to charge me after we already had a conversation about the Night Club. Mentioned Hotels.com calling them and stated the above. He replied by saying he did not speak to anybody form Hotels.com. Strange?

4. Called Hotels.com again, explained the situation, was put on hold again. Came back with the same story. I asked them who they spoke with and they could not give out that information. I asked for supervisor, was put on hold and after 10 mins., I was conveniently disconnected.

5. Called Hotels.com again, this time at the front desk. Was put on hold so they can call hotel. Came back with the same story. funny thing is, they never called the hotel.

I was speaking with the front desk and he mentioned this is very common. Everybody that books that room or adjacent rooms always complains and walks out. I mentioned, I was sold on the property by the online pictures and reviews. It does not seem link the owner cares and many people get tricked into coming. As far as Hotels.com they will always try to bill you for one night even though the hotel your staying at voids or cancel the reservation.

In closing, I called my credit card issuer and explained the situation. they quickly reverse the charge and put us up in a different hotel, all in one phone call. Thanks you Chase Sapphire.

Take it for what it is. Do your research, look at other users pictures and explore Google Street View.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I was booked into this hotel for 8 days over Christmas and to say I was disappointed and disgusted is an understatement. I am stunned by some of the reviews on here and I really hope people read the real reviews as I was tricked into thinking this hotel is a diamond in the rough. It is anything but. Upon arrival in the lobby, the young receptionist was clearly inexperienced and shouldn't have been left to manage the hotel on her own as she couldn't work the photocopier to take a copy of my passport. The lobby had a distinct smell of damp. Once we entered our room - which was enormous, our hearts sank. It was dirty - pubic hairs on the bed, fingerprints all over the windows, dusty with an unpleasant smell. The 'lcd tv with cable' as advertised didn't work in either of the rooms - they hadn't paid the bill for the cable service. The furniture was in poor condition. The corridors were dark and the carpet was stained and clearly the source of the terrible stench. Many of the rooms were occupied on a lease basis and not as a hotel. The walls were paper thin and down the corridor there was unpleasant sounds of someone clearly very unwell. When I went down to the reception to discuss my unhappiness with the state of the room, the lack of TV etc. the lady on reception didn't have the authority to do anything about it. She had to call her boss on the telephone who without any questions invited her to give me back my money. Clearly I am not the first person to arrive and leave within the hour. There are plenty of other hotels on Collins that are more cost effective and actually give customer service as they are hotels and not somewhere calling itself a hotel when it is a complete dive. I am really angry that they are allowed to keep those photos of the hotel online when they are so out of date and untrue.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hackensack, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I just came 1hr ago from 6 days stay @ the royal hotel. My partner & I had an excellent time. Not only this hotel was perfectly located, in the heart of south beach,but was so inexpensive. We stayed in other hotel in south beach that offers similar amenities than the Royal hotel, but none had such friendly & helpful staff. Particularly this lovely woman Mel at the front desk. What a jewel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Cayman
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 3 days. Check in was efficient (room was pre-paid) but staff would not allow late checkout on Sunday (13/11/11) even when payment offered stating not their policy. Room decor was tired and very little space around a silly looking bed. May have been "trendy" sometime but not in 2011 (though hard to imagine). Bathroom and shower good size as was the little walk in wardrobe with safe provided. Cleanliness left a little to be desired wire pubic hair on the toilet seat, long hair in the shower and hair on the pillows. I felt a little grubby after staying. Arriving back at my room on 11/11/11 to find a drunken person comotose on the floor outside my room. Once he had got up he tried hard to get in his room by banging on the door only to be ignored by the hotel staff and his friends. The constant "muffled" banging from the "Burn" nightclub and the very noisey cliente only made the poor room even worse (and I came in at 4am on 2 nights). A incident outside the nightclub resulted in 4 police cars and an ambulance to be negotiated before getting into the hotel on Saturday (12/11/11). There are so many better hotels on Collins and Washington Avenues...it was like a YMCA.....only worse! Don't bother wasting your money!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Every year, for the past 10 years, I stay at the Royal, 2 times per year. The staff is incredibly customer service friendly. This is the main reason I return. Mel is an outstanding manager...she goes out of her way to help in every possible way. I return so often because it's like returning home. Lilly, too, at the front desk, is excellent in her treatment of guests.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Timboon, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

People, it's a decent affordable hotel in a great area, nothing fancy. But there's a NIGHTCLUB inside the hotel. So, say you want to try to go to sleep before 4 a.m. on a Saturday night (er, Sunday morning) -- forget it. Even if your room is on the third floor, you will hear -- and feel -- the loud thumping of bass until the wee hours. If you can sleep through this, you have nothing to worry about. But if you are a light sleeper, then this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

The room we stayed at was nicer then those on the pictures posted by some of the reviewers. Although my wife says that I'm very hard to please in regards of cleanliness, I found everything very clean as the first time. The staff was the same nice and helpful people as three years ago. For the money it is the cleanest and closest hotel to the south beach and great, not necessarily expensive restaurants at the art deco district. A huge City of Miami Beach parking garage is 2 min. walk away. The hotel's WiFi internet signal was rather weak therefore unusable for us, but we were able to connect to the City of Miami Beach free WiFi network. Overall we liked our stay and of course we'll be back next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!