“A much better experience than other reviewers, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Design Suites at Castle Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5445 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #155 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Long Beach
“A much better experience than other reviewers, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I must preface this review by saying that we rented directly from an individual rather than any of the management companies mentioned here (of which there are several).

The location is approximately 1 mile to the Publix grocery store - this makes for a nice morning walk to and from, plus an excuse to stop at the French Artisan bakery/restaurant along the way for breakfast! We used public transportation our entire stay - there are several bus lines that serve Collins Ave. and there is a stop right in front of the building. The buses run 24 hours.

We stayed for 15 days. We found the elevators to be prompt and didn't experience any delays. The security/front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool was lovely and seemed to be well maintained. Direct beach access was very nice. The lower lobby has a coin-operated laundry facility ($1.50 for each wash and $1.50 for each dry). There is also a convenience store with a wide array of products at the expected elevated price (it's a convenience store).

I keenly regret that there were roaches. We took extraordinary measures to control the situation but I have to say that the worry of scanning the counters every time you turn on a light is trying and I doubt I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Facundo Y, Guest Relations Manager at Design Suites at Castle Beach, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for your detailed and honest review. We knew our pros (like our great location and wonderful staff, always attentive and kind) Yet, it is highly important to take notes of the aspects that need improvement. We hope you come back and choose to stay with us again
Design Suites Miami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We planned a trip for a group of 7 stay in for a fun miami weekend. Our 2 bedroom "adjoining suite", did not connect anywhere they are just two rooms side by side. Rooms were VERY poorly maintained, we kept finding huge roaches during our stay! The elevators don't work, the security is a joke, you have to give your credit card for beach towels that are small and filthy (and if not returned to the front desk they charge $20/towel), valet is also ridiculous- while trying to unload your luggage they will take your keys every time you walk in to put your items on the bellhop because there is no ramp to take one out to your car and no one will help you take in luggage. This gets very frustrating. We only planned to sleep at the hotel during our stay but it quickly made for a sour trip. Do not recommend, please read reviews before booking!! Some photos seemed nice but I didn't read the reviews before our trip and I wish I had, it will save you a hassle!

• Stayed July 2014
Facundo Y, Staff Design Suites Miami at Design Suites at Castle Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thanks for your review.
First of all, on our listing we display that these studios can be communicated by a door or share a corridor.
We are working hard on the renovation of all the rooms.
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I sometimes think that when someone says "disgusting" they are over reacting, but I have had it wrong all along. On the website it says that you can't check-in until 3:00 P.M. I called ahead to make sure and they said that i could check-in at 11:00 A.M. I arrived at the hotel at around 1:00 P.M. and discovered that i had to go downstairs in a basement-type place to check-in. Check-in took about an hour with a very unpleasant man that wouldn't even look at my face. when i went back up to the main lobby i saw that many of the people that i was traveling with looked upset. When i went over to them to ask them whats wrong, they pointed to a woman behind the desk screaming in Spanish at another woman to--and i quote--"sign the damn papers and get out of my face". Now this ladies and gentlemen is what i call RUDE staff.
I gathered up my party and took them over to the elevator to go up to our room. I don't know if they don't have enough funds or they just don't care or notice that the elevator system is a piece of crap. its not something that you see everyday. If you look up inside the elevator you'll find to my disgust that the ceiling paint is coming off in flakes. The first thing i did when i got to my room is sweep the floor, pick up two dead cockroaches (my friend almost fainted), and with a wet paper napkin take off the dust on the furniture. I requested a room with two queen beds and a sofa-bed. i got one queen bed and no sofa bed. I went outside and bought two inflatable mattresses. My people wanted to leave but i told them that we weren't gonna get our money back and that it was only three nights anyways.
I was horrified at the fact that staff didn't come every day and take out the garbage, dress the beds, clean the floor, NOTHING. The have absolutely NO maintenance. The bathroom has mold on the tiles that is just nasty. The pool looks like a puddle of pee, the beach was cold and almost nobody was bathing in it, and the hotel/condominium was absolutely disgusting. My stay at this hotel is one i'll never forget and NOT in a good way. I was counting the days till I left. My friends and I will never come back and I DON'T recommend this place to ANYBODY. For future reference I recommend that you read the reviews and then make a well-educated decision to weather or not you'll stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Facundo Y, Guest Relations Manager at Design Suites at Castle Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Did you stay with Design Suites Miami?
Our office is on the Front Desk and it is open 7 days a week from 8 am to 12am and Our front desk staff, is trained weekly with the customer service standards.
Regarding the cleaning service, we provide cleaning every day, and we make sure that the rooms are in perfect conditions every time a guest checks in.
Thanks
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

All I have to say is that this is the most disgusting place I have ever stepped foot it. I found 3 cockroaches in less than 5 minutes. Told the reception and I was completely ignored. This literally just happened to me. I grabbed my things and left.

• Stayed July 2014
Did you stay with Design Suites Miami?
Our goal is to satisfy our guests in order to make your stay as conforting as it can be.
So, with which company did you stay with?
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

party of 6 very understanding people.
Arrived at the hotel at 2pm and hour before check in...
Advertised free parking no mention of motorbikes not aloud, we turned up on 2 motorbikes and 1 car after lots of heated arguments with rude staff bikes are not aloud undercover in the car park and had to be left unprotected with no security on the main road (lucky they were there in the morning!!!!) we had to pay to park the car between. 2-3 (free parking advertised) then get the car out again to re check in under free parking all very un organised.

Checking in:
We new we were early and couldn't check in until 3, and we were only asking if there was a possibility to check in earlier to then be shouted at by "Hector" for him to go off and speak to a colleague loudly about how nobody understands it's 3 check in why are people so stupid! So so rude, one of the worst experiences we have all had at any hotel! (I could go on and on about his service at 3 when we checked in but it's not worth by thumbs typing! Terrible)

Room: hallway had no carpet, bare manky floorboards all half way through renovating.
Our suite was nice and spacious but not very clean had an American fridge with water and ice neither of which worked. I would not recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2014
Facundo Y, Guest Relations Manager at Design Suites at Castle Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hi!
Did you stay with Design Suites Miami?
The valet parking service in included in the rate (one car for each unit is free)
So, with which company did you stay with? Hector is not a member of our team.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

From start to end, the service has been more than great.me and my family will definitely look forward to doing this again. Nothing but good things to say about Design Suites Hotel. I would recommend this to my family members and friends.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback, we are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
We hope to have you around with us again and be sure to let us know when you are coming so we can reserve your favorite room for you.
Please contact me at reservas@desigmiami.com for future reservations. It will be my pleasure to assist you.
Port Orchard, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We arrived into Miami early in the morning from Atlanta GA. We went into the hotel about 6am and the security desk told us that the registration people weren't in until 8. OK that was fine so we went and ate and looked around town. At 8 we went back to try and check in early and they said we couldn't check in until 3 I kinda figured that so that was understandable. They made is pay to park our car until we checked in at 3. They barely spoke any English and are very argumentative people. We were just trying to get information on when we could try and check in and she snapped back at us "when I tell you its ready". When we tried to check in at 3 they made our friend rent a towel because his white shirt was wet and they could see through it. We finally got our room and it was OK. Definitely not what was advertised but it was decent. The beds were horrible and they do not change the sheets!!! Beyond gross I still had sand in my bed and I broke out in hives on my body from their dirty bed! We went down to the beach the next day and tried to store a few things in the registration area for a few hours which they had told us before was OK. But than 8 people walked in front of us and they let them store their bags and made us shove our stuff in a corner. One of the maid started screaming at us in Spanish about where the reception lady told us to put it. All around at every turn they were so rude no matter how nice we tried being. Dirty beds! We will never ever stay at this "hotel" again. I'm pretty sure a motel 6 is nicer with clean sheets and decent people.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hi!
Did you stay with Design Suites Miami?
The valet parking service in included in the rate (parking for one car, each unit)
So, with which company did you stay with?