“Cheap hotel on Miami beach but still not worth it.” 2 of 5 stars

You added Design Suites at Castle Beach to your Saves list
Design Suites at Castle Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5445 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #150 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
“Cheap hotel on Miami beach but still not worth it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I like probably everyone looking at this place chose it because it's right down the street from swank Miami Beach hotels like the Fontainebleu and it does have direct beach access. Well, if you are looking for an affordable place to stash your stuff and plan to spend 80% of your time out of the room, you can book here. Otherwise you can look forward to: a hotel which stinks of cigarettes everywhere, twenty minute wait time for the elevator, forty minute wait time for the mandatory valet, and super unfriendly staff everywhere.

• Stayed March 2014

445 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

This is not a hotel but a condo rental program in a big building along with 4 or 5 other rental offices. First room 1427 had bed bugs and uncomfortable mattresses , they did changed rooms after 3 hour wait at small desk area to room 930 cleaner room with two beds and similar view . I asked to speak with Facundo manager 4 times , no response , I got only a two hour late check out extention. Expedia called manager while he was at office and the answer was always he is not available or out of building. Desk staff acted as if bed bugs are a minor problem. With 2 kids and moving rooms and bed bugs is a problem. No apologies or customer care from this place. One front desk lady was helpful but others do not seem to want to help. Rooms are decorated with ikea furniture and not the high grade. Building is under repair, beach is narrow but clean, view is great and close to 41 st or 195 highway , parking is free, pool is big , has pool side restaurant good food and prices, main restaurant is pricey. Restaurant at 5701 building 2nd floor has better food and affordable for families with kids. It feels like you rented a hotel room at a motel group and few good rooms if you feel like a gambler , if I bring bed bugs home it will cost around $800 to treat, keep that in mind if you run into this problem or room at this place. They rented the infested room the same afternoon I left it, no professional pest control just over the counter fix by maintenance guy , that is why the wanted me out of room by 12:30 so they could give it to someone else. Poor service, poor experience , not coming back.

• Stayed February 2014
Ypsilanti, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I didn't know much about this place, because my husband booked the trip, but from what I did know, I was very excited to be staying at such a big hotel. When we arrived, the woman who was working the desk not only was rude and was not easy to talk to or understand at all, she proceeded to argue with us over the paperwork we had that said that we could check in EARLY, she told us that was not correct, (when it was CLEARLY in black ink printed on our paperwork) and we were 2 hours away from check in time. So only to wander the hotel for two hours, along with my dog, who wasn't allowed to walk on a leash through the halls, we had to haul my 23-pound jack russell terrier everywhere we went. (The place was under extreme construction also, which was nothing but an "eye sore" and caused the elevators to take forever). We thoroughly enjoyed our 16th floor room, though, and ocean view, it was very private and quiet up there, which was definitely a plus. The beach access was also nice, the pool was great, and food/drinks from the bar weren't too expensive and was pretty good. And I also enjoyed looking through all of the shops that were around the ground floor. I gave the lowest rating basically for the bad customer service and check-in time mix up, that was the biggest issue for me. I probably wouldn't book another stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: I'd say, the higher up, the better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I would highly advise anyone looking into this hotel to go ahead and rule it out. When you arrive to beautiful Miami, the last place you want to spend your time is in this dump. The valet was very unorganized. After attempting to check in at a desk with a person wearing a tshirt and ripped up jeans blasting music, we were guided down into a creepy basement to check in at a different desk (he might have been friendlier if we spoke spanish, but he had no desire to smile or be helpful. god forbid you are nice to a paying customer). We were guided toward an overpacked elevator hall, stuffed with people waiting. Of four elevators in sight, only 2 seemed to work. The elevators were scary, I was certain we would get stuck or drop right from the sky. Very old, rickety and splattered with neglect. We finally checked in, (no sense moving at a normal work pace!!) and got to our room. The hallway was reminiscent of Steven King's "The Shining" dark, creepy, and full of that aromatic mildew stench you find in old florida buildings. The room itself was spartan. The view was nice, although it might not kill them to wash the windows once in awhile. The lighting in the room was awful. I felt like we were in a hostel. And nothing against hostels, but when you stay in a hostel, you expect something different than when you are paying for a hotel.

The next morning, it took TEN minutes to catch the elevator down to the lobby. TEN minutes for an elevator. Then, I experienced an ADDITIONAL THIRTY FIVE minute wait to get the car from valet. Once again, I think not speaking to the attendant in spanish was a disadvantage. I watched hispanic families who arrived after I did get their cars first. It was mind blowing how frustrating it became to sit there and watch everyone else get their car. I had an event to go to and ended up missing a large chunk of it because I simply could not get to my car.

Customer service. They might as well wear a sign that says we don't care. Not a single apology the entire time. Crappy check in, crappy room, crappy valet.

The girls on my trip attempted a drink and lunch by the pool and got food poisoning and (SHOCKER) a 45 minute wait for food from an obviously disinterested waitress. I cannot stress how much of a disadvantage you are at for not speaking spanish. I lived in Miami for 5 years and never once felt such extreme racism going on against americans.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND YOUR VACATION. Keep looking.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked with hotels.com which was the first mistake. They found the hotel for us as we asked what was available in the Miami Beach area. We did not get the room that the rep at hotels.com promised. When we arrived the lady at front desk said that the room hotels.com gave us was not accurate, this was supposed to be an ocean view. The paperwork from hotels.com said ocean view but also said standard suite and the hotel said a standard suite is not an ocean view. They gave us what was available and the lady at front desk said it was an upgrade. We would never know if it was an upgrade as we don't know what their standards are. They probably gave us their simplest room available. Once we get to the room and settled in we notice that the rep gave us a different room than what was stated in paperwork. The rep somehow picked up the wrong key so now we questioned if this room was even lower in quality. We told her about the wrong room and she was upset that she made a mistake and asked if we 'messed up' the room. We just got in there and only unpacked so we didn't mess up much of anything. She said she had no other rooms available. OK. Now we get back to the room and we begin to notice crawling creatures all in the bathroom and along the baseboards in suite. I take some of these creatures back down to the front desk and the rep is disturbed at seeing the bugs and apparently has a dislike for the bugs which I guess are roaches. Again, she said she has no other rooms available and offers to fumigate. We were not going to stay in a room that was just fumigated due to the concerns with chemicals and so forth. She said she would talk to reservations manager in morning about this. Next morning comes around and we check the desk and there is another person there who knows nothing about our situation so I explain all to him again and he says he will contact reservations manager and to check back in half hour. I check back in half hour and he says all he can do is fumigate, I tell him no fumigation due to concerns and that we are checking out. We had two nights scheduled and we stayed one night, checked out before check out time of 10 am and asked for some sort of receipt from this rep and he said we didn't need one. During all this I contacted hotels.com three times for resolution and they kept telling me they had to contact reservations manager. They could never contact reservations manager at hotel. Our vacation turned into a total bust as we spent more time dealing with the hassles and phone calls than out on the beach or the sites. The staff could care less about our situation and did as little as possible, hotels.com has not done anything other than offer $100 off our next stay as long as we purchase thru hotels.com which we won't do. We contacted hotels.com again upon our return home and they still had no solution and said they are unable to contact hotel staff.
Beware and look elsewhere for bookings and avoid Design Suites at Castle Beach. If you have problems with this hotel you won't get any assistance or satisfaction from them. It's not a hotel, these are condos you are renting from owners and so there are more regulations than a hotel. There is more to this story but sick of thinking about all this.

Room Tip: Avoid this place and hotels.com Your better off contacting hotels directly and see if you can work...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We booked through Hotwire so we didn't really know what to expect.The room was decent; it was clean enough, nicely but simply decorated Ikea style and it had a small kitchenette with everything you need. We stayed 3 nights.

The hotel itself was a bit weird. It was a bit runned down but still ok I guess. It had 4 elevators; 2 of which were service elevators which made no sense. If we happened to be leaving at the same time as everybody else, we got stuck in the elevator traffic jam. We ended up using the stairs multiple times. Luckily we were only on the 4th floor. Even at check out we had to take the stairs with all our luggage. So after the elevator traffic jam, you get stuck in the valet traffic jam. You are basically forced to use valet (which is included) since they don't allow you to park your car yourself. The parking lot was locked and underground so I guess it was safe. Sometimes we waited up to 30 minutes for our car. The hotel also lends beach towels but it's super complicated to get one. They ask for your credit card number which you don't have on you because you're on your way to the beach or the pool and for some reason they can't use the same credit card number you put down for "incidentals" because it's "locked in a filling cabinet". It just made no sense at all and it was annoying. The staff at the reception was a bit slow and it seemed like they were more cooperating if you spoke Spanish.

Overall, the price is reasonable for the location. It's not too far from South Beach and it's beachfront.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

The room was sufficient for a place to sleep. If you have options you might consider for other hotel. I would not come back. The valet parking is included but bit slow. The whole hotel setup is a bit weird but i guess it us cheaper than other places

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Design Suites at Castle Beach? Share your experiences!