“Great for the money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Plano, Texas
“Great for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is not a regular hotel! This is more like a day rental of a time share than a regular hotel. Probably this was a great hotel back in the 80's. Do not expect a butler to carry your luggage to your room, or a room service 24hrs. Consider a perfect located more affordable rented room, where you have an spacious room, generous closet and cozy but functional kitchen.

I stayed at Deluxe Suites at Castle Beach. I think the building is divided into diferent properties in different floors.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We actually booked this property through Expedia's "Unpublished Hotels," so we didn't know that we got this resort until we had already booked it and paid. When I read the reviews, I was nervous. However, it was better than I expected. Design Suites at Castle Beach is located at 5445 Collins Ave in North Miami Beach (approximately 4 miles from South Beach). It is right on the ocean, so you have direct beach access, which is nice. The trail out to the beach is lined with pretty foliage and palm trees, complete with coconuts. See my photos attached. The building is older and it was clear they are doing renovations. The lobby was gorgeous. A lit blue ceiling, beautiful paintings and chandeliers reminded me of the old glory days of Hollywood, CA hotels. My husband said based on the layout, the building was originally intended as a timeshare. But since then, folks have purchased them as their full time home, or rent them out as a vacation rental. So when you reserve one, you get Expedia's guarantees, but you are really leasing from an individual. We stayed on the 4th floor. The hallway made me very nervous. While nice-looking, it smelled like a combination of ethnic food cooking on a stove, marijuana, wine, and urine. Our private hall right outside our door specifically smelled like a urinal. I breathed a sigh of relief when I opened our door and was hit with the clean scent of lemon. I learned later that it is a pet friendly hotel. The room was clean, elegantly furnished, and the kitchen a plus. Not a true ocean view (you can see it if you stand on your tippie toes), but it was a decent place to stay for under $100 a night. Checking in is a bit unusual - they have to park your car valet. So always be prepared for a bit of a wait for your car when you need it. Usually no more than 5 minutes.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side will have a quasi ocean view. Enjoy the restaurant downstairs, it is very goo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Springfield, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

The location is great. The beach is great--very small and private. The pool was ok, poolside restaurant had decent food. Our room (828) was clean, but basic. We had a great oceanfront balcony, but it only had a small table and two folding chairs that were not very comfortable, so we couldn't sit out there as much as we would have liked.

The cons: There were no beach chairs in the unit or on the beach. We did not have enough towels, no washcloths, no iron. There was a small coffee pot but no filters to use it and only one coffee mug. The AC unit was quite loud. The hallway had a strange odor. Someone attempted to enter our room with a key while I was getting dressed. They apologized and said they were from the management company and were supposed to fix something and thought no one was there. Okay, could be a mistake, however, they should have knocked before using the key.

The valet parking was ok but a few times it was very busy and we had to wait for our car.

We still enjoyed our trip because of the location--and the gorgeous beach (sans chairs).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
rosario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We spent a week staying at the castle beach club - unit 1712, the truth was very gratifying to see an apartment with such as colorful decoration, warm and functional, very different from the usual classical serial decoration of many other places. I truly recommend this unit with its fantastic views both day and night Miami Bay , the unit recently seems recently restyled, the furniture is functional and very important that I could connect to the Internet for free from the unit for work. The small kitchen is fully equipped and I am pleased I could prepare a breakfast or a coffee in the morning and short meals, the building is equipped with gym, swimming pool and the beach is nearby with direct access from the pool, plus the parking is free (you just must ask for the parking card when you arrive). The castle beach is a few minutes far from south beach, just in front of the building, you can rent bikes and was amazing having a walk in collins av. through south beach , we couldn’t ask for more. They have cheap prices, I am totally satisfied, I hope to go back there soon , I really recommend the unit if you want to have a great time !

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Room 832 was a very comfortable and scenic stay. It included a kitchenette, queen bed, a trundle bed and a dining table, but who cares because the ocean view was amazing. Waking up every morning to teal green water rejuvenated this weary northener instantly. Room was very clean and well maintained. Take advantage of the pool and the turkish baths!! Just a 2 minute drive from the heart of south beach. If you want an inexpensive stay at a very nice room with attentive owners then ask for 832!!!

• Stayed November 2011
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

In dozens of visits to Miami Beach, this property has become my all time worst experience in the area. You should really consider any other property, over this Deluxe Suites location. There is not really a "Front Desk." Basically, the desk is a security guard. This desk is supplied with a list of names for check-in, of which I needed to reference to confirm that I in fact was on the list. There is really no one to speak to that manages the property on-site, but rather only accessible through SKYPE! I was here for two nights. Night #1 was horrendous. Roaches were everywhere. This building was built in the 1960's as a condo, and recently partially updated. Many aspects were overlooked. No phone is in the room, and no cell phone signal can penetrate the building. Thus, outside phone communication is limited. The internet service is good, an is the only form of connection to the outside world. My room was on the fourth floor. The only way to see out the top-light windows was to stand on the bed, and the windows did not open. The bathtub drain was slower than than the water inflow. When the management office was reached (via SKYPE) the next day, I was given an option to change to another room for the final (and last forever) night. The improvement was that roaches were not present, but violent neighbors fighting throughout the night did not allow for a restful night. I would have called the police to protect the female, but communication was not possible. If you are expecting to have a relaxing, uneventful visit, this is not the place...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
europe, German
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Dear all,

Firstable, something for all who want to put here some words:
PLEASE, when you leave here your experience, please, please, please... write your Unit No. it will be the best help for readers. Because lot of people doesn`t know that Castle Beach Club is not a clasical hotel, This is condo association and in that building you have a lot of unit owners. Some of them are great and take care about their unit, but also there is a lot of owners who are not responsible and do not take enought care about cleaning etc.
Because I was there (Castle Beach Club) two times, 2009. and 2011. and my experience is beautifull I beg you all, leave your room number, because some people who read our experience can`t know a real and try story about this place. When I was in searh, I was a little bit scary about stories of this building, but when I went there it was so difrent feeling. Location is THE BEST. You have a Ocean and the beach in your garden, right beside a great pool and the room 415 is so cute and it was so clean. Al inside was so fresh. That owner diserve the best rating. Believe me!!! I was there and first and second times we stay there 21 day. I recomend to you this place and Unit 415. Agency who represent this owner is so, so profesional and responsible. Like you can see the point of this place is which unit you will take- From responsible and profesonal owner or ..... someone who is nothing of that. All other stuff are o.k. You have a free parking place per room(valet parking), bus station is infront of building, you have small market, restorans and more interesting in the building... What other to say- GO there but be careful about unit and if you get some dirty room , ask from your agency or owner to be refunded and find the other one nice like 415 :-) That is your right and you have legal right to ask and do that. Goooooood luck!!! Regards from Europe
P.S. Maybe it will be helpful, I will leave to all of you link from unit I use -Unit 415 -(name: Garden)

Room Tip: Clean, comfortable, internet, all the best for my Unit and location.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Design Suites at Castle Beach? Share your experiences!