“Another Enjoyable Stay At The Palms” 5 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase $224
Ranked #53 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Another Enjoyable Stay At The Palms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

We returned to The Palms after having first visited here two years ago. We had just as wonderful a time this year. The grounds are simply beautiful, and it was a nice surprise to see that the rooms had all been updated. They are still on the small side (we had an ocean view/king), but as we spent hardly any time inside, who cares? The bathrooms, while completely modern, are still a tad too small for comfort, and poorly lit. That was my one complaint; I actually liked having the toilet area separate from the shower/vanity.

Service was wonderful, and we thought the beach service was even more prompt and attentive than it had been on our last visit. They were doing some work on the facade, which we weren't told about, contrary to one manager's comment here on TripAdvisor, but it didn't interfere with our relaxing; we hardly noticed it.

I will say that the towel policy is a bit stingy, for such a luxurious resort. Upon check in they did not have any towel cards, and it was indicated that this wouldn't be a problem. And for 2 days it wasn't, but on the 3rd the "towel guardian" adamantly refused to give me one, even after I explained the situation. So I had to trek back to the check-in desk in my bathing suit to obtain the cards, and was given a stern lecture about the policy, again - even after I explained that the cards weren't available when we checked in. For such a lovely resort like this, the whole situation cheapened it just a bit. I would urge management to review the policy and loosen the reins a bit - $35 for a lost towel card is just a little ridiculous, when you're paying $15 for a margarita.

As to the prices - you know this going in. I see others complaining about how expensive everything is, and it is - but it's not as if the hotel is hiding this fact. It's a luxury resort, and everything - from the daily room fee to the price of cocktails - is readily available on the website. You don't go to the Palms - or the Fountainbleu, or "W" Hotel - and not expect to pay for the experience. If you don't want to, do your research and go somewhere else. We knew what to expect, and had a lovely, luxurious time. We will definitely return in the future!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

1,052 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

My stay at The Palms Resort & Spa was one that I will remember for all of the right reasons! My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and their team did everything they could to make us feel special. When I called the hotel to make the reservation I spoke with a gentleman who was respectful, kind and joyous. When we checked in we received the same warm welcome. And even though not all of the elevators were working our first night – we were not going to allow that to interfere with our enjoyment of our upgraded room on the penthouse floor! We took advantage of their many amenities including their fitness room and spa. The fitness room is not big but is spacious enought for multiple people to workout at that same time and not feel cramped. I liked that the cardio machines were sparate from the weights. And I must say that Jessica gave me one of the best massages I’ve ever had! I have to admit that our favorite amenity was the hammock. I don’t think that I’ve ever felt more relaxed than I did Monday evening lying in their hammock next to my husband. I write all of this to say “thank you” and a “job well done” to their staff! They have assembled an excellent team – from the front desk staff, to the valet, housekeeping, bartender and everyone in between. Excellent! I hope to return soon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

The Palms is one of those hotels that has an ambience that impresses upon arrival, but then as the days go by the "A" they started with turns to a "D-".

One big complaint is the attitude of the front staff who seem to be self-impressed and project an elitist attitude. Everyone who is an hourly employee was much nicer and accommodating than those wearing snappy uniforms and shiny name tags. One experience involved WIFI internet service. WIFI was constantly dropping the signal in our ninth floor room and I spent one hour on the phone with them trying to fix their problem monitoring PINGS and packets only to see no change. When I complained to front staff two days later I was offered the use of a signal booster in exchange for a $200 deposit! So knowing that they have a problem they push resolution off onto their guests. Internet is an extra included in your resort fee, but they can't deliver internet.

We ate five meals in the restaurant and every seating was delayed because of confusion amongst the hostess staff about table availability.

We requested a large room with a view of the ocean, but strangely the largest rooms look out on the city and not the ocean.

They have a wonderful beach and great beach service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us at the Palms Hotel & Spa. I regret to hear that you felt our level of service deminished as your stay progressed, as delivering a quality level of consistent service by each and every one of our staff is our commitment to the Palms Experience. Clearly we fell short of your expectations. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly I would love to obtain your room number on the 9th floor so that we may look into all of the internet interruptions you experienced during your stay. I hope that you will consider us for a future stay as I would love the opportunity to welcome you back for an exceedingly exceptional stay from beginning to end. Sincerely, Elena Barkey
Courbevoie, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

2 major negative points regarding this hotel: You can be robbed within the hotel premises and the management doesn't care, and the hotel maintenance...

The Palms is a hotel that we had been to some years back and we had good memories, so we decided to come back even if we had some feedbacks from relatives that the level had gone down a lot. So here we are the 27th of Feb for a week vacation. The next day, while we were at the beach side of the pool, reading and relaxing, we have been robbed. Our bags have been stolen while we were there: my bag was on my right side and I was not sleeping, and they sneaked behind us and stole our bags (with phones, cameras, watches and 1 credit card). We told the hotel about the robbery as soon as I discovered it (between the last time I had my bag and the moment I realized the theft, there was maybe 20 minutes).
I went directly to the pool bar to tell the staff (I was seating almost in front of it, at the beach side of the pool). No security was there. We alerted the staff and finally someone came. The person was not very helpful. We showed him where the persons could have gone (there is a fence that is not fully closed just closed to the beach side of the pool and a huge hole where anybody can go in and out without any protection at a green house also closed to the beach pool area). The security person just said thank you and asked me if I wanted to make a police report: I said yes of course, but he didn't want to help, he just told me to go and tell the police.
The security manager told my mom that he was in the Bahamas with his fiancé and that his camera had been stolen as well and he had lost all his photos... Can you imagine someone saying that to you when you explain him about the loss and that you show where it happened???
We went to the reception to let them know about the robbery, to change the access to the room and modify the card for the valet parking.
The police came and while doing the report, we also requested to view the videos of the cameras because some people on the pool side had seen 3 guys that were not really part of the hotel and I saw on person that looked weird as well. At first, they told us that we had to wait for the video to be saved and that they would contact us. We asked for some support from the management but the so called "director of guest experience" Elena B. just told us that she was sorry (and that is the only thing she has been able to say the 2 times we met her!!!). The also so called "corporate general manager" Hamid A. did not even show up!! When we were requesting to meet him, he was never available (always on the phone) and he never came or dare contacting us.
It is obvious that there were no cameras on this area of the hotel and that the security is not existing (4 days after the robbery, the hole was still not repaired and as evidences, we took pictures with a camera that we decided to buy to prove what we are saying).
On top of that, even if they knew that my credit card had been stolen (and it takes a bit of time to get a new one), they blocked us the access to our room, stating that the card was not working. It happened 2 times during these 4 remaining days, and the management even gave notice to the reception to block us.
We asked for the internal report of the theft from the hotel: it has not been done. We requested this supposed director of guest experience to help us and to see how we could (or the police) have access to the videos: she was supposed to contact me back and she did not. On the police report it was stating that the hotel would send the information from the videos and at the time we retrieved the report at the police station (4 days later!), it was still not done! Do you think that someone caring about security would do that? Especially when it is written in the guest book in the room that security is their "utmost" concern!?
She told some people at the reception that she tried to contact me and left a message: this is not the case because when she called, I was in the room and took the phone, and she hang up. Same thing happened with a person called Alex Verona (I don't know who is that person and when I asked at the front desk, they did not want to tell me).
We have not been treated properly, the messages we received from some friends were not even given to us (we learned it the last day at the time of check out), we have not been taken care of where it is the responsibility of the hotel to have a good security in the premises, they blocked us in all the ways they could, this stay has been a nightmare, no one in the management has done the job.

We have been devastated by the way the hotel has handled the situation, even shocked, and some people told us that there might be some connections with some hotel members and that is why they did not do anything.

Regarding the hotel maintenance: the elevators are in violation with the law (we saw the orange sticker) and they are hiding the stickers from the guests with a white one on top of the orange one. Also, 2 elevators out of 4 were working and they are used by the staff at the same time as the guests. So imagine the staff running everywhere to help the guests (and they are trying their best!), they are sweating, and when you enter the elevator after them, I let you imagine the smell...
In the room, the curtains have some stains and there is dust on the tables. It seems that they are cleaning properly the room only when the room is given to another guest. I don't think this is a 4 star service...

I travel a lot and have been to different countries all around the world, and I can say that this hotel is really not worth a 4 star. I would even add that the way the management has handled the situation is like from a third world country! And really, I wonder how the so called director of guest experience and so called corporate general manager have been hired! They don't do their job and they are absolutely obnoxious!

• Stayed March 2011
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear Ms. Abitbol,
The entire staff of the Palms Hotel & Spa do hold our guests personal safety and security to the highest regard and utmost importance. I sincerely regret that you experienced a theft of your personal belongings while here in Miami Beach. Our Security department worked extensively with the Miami Police department, so they could follow up on your incident and ensure they have all of the information provided (camera footage and incident reports) for the hopeful recovery of your items and persecution of a possible suspect. As we discussed throughout your stay I would be more than happy to assist you or the Miami Police department on your case anyway that I am able to and at any point in time. I sincerely apologize if you felt that I was not sincere in my assistance towards you, as that was not my intent, and had I of known that you were hoping to speak with our General Manager, I would have certainly arranged that for you. This was an awful situation which occurred and I truly regret that it affected not only your stay with us, but also your entire vacation, as this is definitely not the experience we would want any of our guests to have.

I do want to assure you that our Security and Engineering teams have looked into your concerns with our fence and the areas behind our Green house on property and have already addressed those areas with the placement of additional security measures. In addition to the outside areas we are completing preventative maintenance on our elevators as well, which has unfortunately caused some guest inconvenience, which I apologize you experienced during your stay. All of our elevators have received proper certification for work for 2011 and will be updated with the completion of this project. Thank you for your concern and detailed feedback of your guestroom as well, as without this we would be unable to continually work on the guest services we deliver and provide and for our continued efforts in improving our overall guests experiences at the Palms Hotel & Spa.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in person for another visit so that we may regain your loyalty and patronage. Sincerely, Elena Barkey
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

We booked a 6 night stay though Expedia...however this hotel did not meet expectations.
The hotel is under renovation..during daylight hours workers are hammering the concrete facade with the intention of restoring the the cracked and delaminating concrete veneer which covers the concrete support structure and concrete block exterior walls. This is noisy, especially when you want a mid day siesta. We were never advised of the renovations and the hotel manager when pressed on the issue called the exterior renovations "painting"
It seems that when you book through Expedia you get a 3rd. class treatment, which includes the room location. We had to vigourously insist on a room facing the ocean, which did not have a balcony or venting window...hello...this is Miami Beach!
Be careful to ask questions prior to booking.
Make sure you get what you want. Our fault in the end.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for being our guest for your recent visit to Miami Beach at the Palms Hotel & Spa. Whether our guests book through the hotel directly or through an online agency, such as Expedia, we value each and every reservation with the utmost respect and care to ensure that all of our guests will have the true Palms Experience. We offer several different room types and locations for our guests, from illuminating City Views to breathtaking Ocean Views and Balcony Suites, at all levels and price point, so that there is always a special room for each unique guest. I apologize that you did not feel that same experience with the room category booked, but hopefully you enjoyed your final selection.

In an effort to maintain our hotels ‘Inspired by Nature’ motto and appearance we have decided to enhance our lower level rooftop that will dramatically improve its outward appearance from a standard rooftop to a sandy beach oasis. Thankfully this is not construction, but our Engineering team updating the outside façade. I do apologize if you were inconvenienced by any noise outside of your guestroom, as we are notifying all guests of the hours so that they may take advantage of our beautiful / peaceful outdoor oasis by the pool, beach or hammock areas under the swaying palm trees. It was a pleasure meeting with you during your visit and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Sincerely Elena Barkey
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay, this is an excellent property and they certainly paid attention to the details when they built this place, as the facilities are immaculate. The fitness room is nice, the rooms are small, but well appointed, the outdoor spaces are great, the layout is perfect with an outdoor veranda that leads to the outdoor pool area, hammocks and cabana's. They have a very nice sound system in the outdoor space, and a beautiful heated 24-hour pool (we went night swimming a couple times, had the whole pool to ourselves). The ocean and beach is right outside the hotel, as is a boardwalk which is perfect for evening walks. The hotel has a nice space on the beach with comfortable chairs and umbrella's provided. A lot of well maintained, comfortable spaces to relax, either by the pool, or on the beach. This place is perfect for a nice, relaxing vacation, its close enough to south beach mayhem (20 min walk, 7 min cab ride) to get out there for dinner, but far enough away to keep the mayhem out.

There were (3) problems that kept this from being a 5-star review:
1. They were doing work on the ocean front facade of the building, which resulted in my wife and I being woken up at 8 am to the sound of hammers pounding outside or window. I'm not talking about a distant thud, I am talking about hammers so loud It felt like someone was hammering my skull. We told the front desk and they tried to make ammends and switched our room, but to be woken up to the sound of hammers is the exact opposite of what you want when you are taking a vacation with the sole purpose of relaxing. We were paying more for an ocean front view, but no one told us about the work when we checked in, which is frustrating and just poor management. Very distressing, but as I said, they tried to make ammends, switched our room, and we were not disturbed the other 3 days.
2. They have a 20% "service charge" on everything they sell. Not gratuity, but a "service charge". Ok, if everything you sell actually costs 20% more than the price you are listing, why not just increase your prices by 20%, and eliminate the service charge? Now, I always read the fine print, and I am good at math, so I was never caught off gaurd when I got the final bill, but this service charge felt underhanded. It was as though they were hoping that people wouldn't realize the mark-up when they ordered, so they would order more then they would if they knew the true cost upfront. Not very classy for a very classy property.
3. This place is not a bargain, you get a lot, but you certainly pay a lot for everything, whether it be the rooms, food at the restaurant, massages, anything this place provides. If you are looking to splurge, this is a great place. If you are looking to get the most for your money, becareful with this place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

My daughter is getting married and saw this hotel in some magazine and decided she needed to have her wedding here. She made several calls to the catering director Natalie and ended up leaving voicemails each time. All of those voicemails went unreturned. As she was convinced she wanted to have her wedding here (and as we are local) we decided to drive down and spend a girls' night in South Beach and try to meet up with Natalie. Again, I said try. We were not able to reach her and ended up speaking with some small French girl whose name I cannot remember. Putting it nicely, this girl was not very intelligent and not very polite (I guess it is true what they say about the French).

Another disappointment is that there is no concierge after 8PM. You are in South Beach. Things don't get going until after 10PM, so I think having a concierge leave at 8PM is ridiculous. I came down looking for something to do at night away from the hotel, and there was no one there to help.

The beds are very comfortable. As everyone else says the rooms are pretty small, but if you are on vacation, how much time do you really spend in your room? The only thing that I did not like about the room is that the bathrooms are split. The staff is very professional and very courteous.

We had breakfast in the restaurant. Our waiter (whose name I cannot remember, but he is from Turkey), seemed like he really didn't want to be there. He needed to have a fire lit under his behind in order to get him to move.

Needless to say, due to never being able to speak with the catering director, my daughter's dream of having her wedding here were crushed. We will be looking elsewhere. Too bad because it is a beautiful setting, but we just had a bad taste left in our mouth.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
We always love to welcome our local residents to the Palms Hotel & Spa, and especially ones who dream of celebrating their wedding day or special events with our property. I regret that you were disappointed with your experiences, as we take each and every guest interaction to heart, always working towards our staff’s commitment to excellence. Nathalie and her dedicated team work tirelessly in ensuring that our brides have the utmost in care and attention throughout their experiences and we apologize that you were unable to connect during your visit, however, should your daughter still wish to set up an appointment we would love to welcome her back to the hotel. Hopefully you will give us the opportunity to show you what a true Palms experience is all about. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may assist in your arrangements. Sincerely, Elena Barkey

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!