“Quiet, relaxing, clean, top-notch hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase $224
Ranked #53 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, WA
“Quiet, relaxing, clean, top-notch hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My stay at this hotel was quite good, and I would definitely go back. The service is terrific, and I felt that I was treated like a valued customer, from the front desk to the porter to the bar tender and the maintenance guy. The hotel is extremely clean throughout (public areas and rooms).

The rooms are very comfy and well-decorated (updated and stylish).

The location is great if you're looking for a quiet beach stretch. The boarwalk and beach right in front of the hotel are perfect. But, if you're looking for a variety of dining options around the area, then this is not going to be the best positioned hotel. You would need to eat in the many hotel restaurants in the area. Regardless, do try The Palms Hotel restaurant, as the food is extremely tasty.

The only negatives to this hotel that prevented it from getting a 5-star rating from me:
The wireless internet signal (included in the hotel cost) does not consistently reach all rooms. The strength was quite low in my room, and in order to be productive, I had to go to the lounge or lobby area. Given that these areas are quite relaxing and lovely, this was not too big of a deal.
Walls can be a bit thin (I heard the guy next door talking on the phone).
If your room faces the street, the traffic noise might bother some people. I sleep with earplugs, so had no problems.
My TV did not receive a signal for the ABC channel.
The configuration of my room was odd in that the toilet was in a separate space/room from the shower and sink (more European style).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide this invaluable guest perspective on your experience at The Palms. I believe that the only way to improve one’s service and style is to truly listen to what our guests are saying and try to constantly improve, your input has truly proven an asset in this endeavor. I am thrilled to hear that you loved the location of our property, terrific service and tasty food offerings of our Essensia restaurant as we do strive to provide excellence throughout the facility to each and every one of our valued guests. I am disappointed to hear that you experienced noisy neighbors and some technical deficiencies with your guestroom wireless signal during your stay. I have shared these comments with our Engineering and IT teams for further review. We do look forward to welcoming you back as a loyal repeat visitor of the Palms! Sincerely, Elena Barkey

1,058 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

I loved every minute of my time at the Palms. The service is excellent, the grounds are gorgeous, the beach is a dream, the rooms have quality furnishings, beds and bedding, the bathrooms are beautiful and the pool area is first rate.
It is clean and extremely well looked after. It has a distinctly European flavour which I loved. I have been telling EVERYONE I know to take a trip to this resort and have an absolutely fantastic holiday. I honestly cannot think of one negative thing to say, and I cannot believe that anyone could find fault with it. I am already plotting and scheming my next getaway to the Palms. It is, in a word, PARADISE.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your comments with us about your ‘absolutely fantastic holiday.’ We are so happy that you found our property so enjoyable. It sounds as though you had the perfect relaxing Palms Hotel experience. We really appreciate your kind remarks and value you as a guest tremendously. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Palms Hotel & Spa for your next getaway to Paradise. Warmest regards, Elena Barkey
wellesley ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

We traveled to The Palms for a wedding on January 22, 2011. Despite the cold weather, the wedding was very beautiful and a lot of fun. The hotel itself is in a good location, within walking distance to South Beach and on a beautful stretch of beach. We arrived on a Friday after an 8 hour trip from Boston which included delays due to snow and ice. We were exhausted. Our room was a city view room, which was part of the wedding block. It was very small, but we expect that when staying at a boutique hotel. We do not expect the toilet to be in a separate room from the shower and the sink. It is a very weird and inconvenient set up. Not a deal breaker though. The construction right outside our window, IS something that should have been brought to our attention when booking the room. We stayed for four nights, we were up with the birds daily with the sound of trucks, jackhammers and backhoes literally right outside our window.
The Essentia Restaurant had good food and was just what we needed on Friday night upon our arrival. We liked it so much we booked a reservation for Brunch on Sunday and invited my elderly parents and two of their friends to drive down from Ft.Lauderdale to join us. Brunch began at 11:30, so I made the reservation so we would be the first there. I picked the table we wanted for Sunday on Friday night and the hostess assured me it would be no problem. It was chilly so I picked one on the terrace with a heater. I also took into consideration the live music and it's proximity to my mother who has hearing trouble. When we arrived at 11:30, the table we had asked for was taken. The host was very apologetic as he recognized a mistake had been made. We were seated outside, right in front of the music. We were grateful we all had sweaters and still had a good brunch.
Another bad point would be the towel distrubution at the pool. Upon check-in you are given a card which allows you one towel per guest. When you return the towel, you get the card back which you must turn in at checkout or you are charged $39.00. As previously stated, it was chilly, a second towel would not be out of the question but our request was denied. This is a pretty Holiday Innish policy for a hotel that does not have Holiday Inn prices.
My husband and I both had massages in the Aveda Spa. The massage was wonderful. The spa itself, very small with very limited amenities. It does have a co-ed steam room which has an incredibly funky smell, almost like fish!!! We could not sit in it. We walked out and the other two women sitting there laughed and asked us if we thought it smelled. We spent over $300 at the spa and usually like to linger over a hottub and luxurious amenities you get for that kind of charge. The "amenities" are a sitting room with apples and water with doors that open to beneath the outside stairs. The ladies locker room has a wall of lockers and two showers. There is one spot to sit and dry your hair. The Aveda products that are sold outside in the spa lobby are not offered in the spa. You are given a non-descript bottle of shampoo, conditioner and "lotion", just like I get at my gym at home.
Lastly, we received notification that our departing flight had been delayed 4 hours due to even more snow in Boston. We would not leave Miami until 6 pm. Checkout at the hotel is at 11. I went and explained the situation to the desk. We were granted a 12:00 checkout and coldly told that anything past that we would be charged for. We packed our bags and sat at the pool, in the cold with our one towel.
Our past 4 visits to Miami we have stayed at the more expensive Delano. We have also stayed at the Loews which we liked very much. We spent over $3000 at the Palms, a lot of money for sure. IF you are going to spend that kind of money, the nominal increase to stay at a more polished place like the Delano is worth it. The spa is world class. There is no dickering over towels, you can have as many big fluffy towels as you want and the staff there bends over backwards to make sure your every reservation and accommodation is met, including a later checkout if necessary.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
Dear Jfiore, We sincerely appreciate the time you took to describe to us your experience while staying at the Palms Hotel & Spa. We realize that there are many hotels to choose from in the Miami Beach area, and are always therefore, looking for ways to improve upon our services and amenities for our guests to enjoy. Without this invaluable guest perspective we would not be able to address certain areas of opportunity and look towards improvement for the future. Unfortunately, construction in Miami Beach is a reality at this time, however, it is for the overall improvement of the area and city so we know that they are making changes for the better and working towards creating a better area outside of where we call ‘home’. Our staff is diligent in making all of our guest experiences truly memorable and I sincerely regret if you did not get that overall impression of our property, as our guests satisfaction is of utmost importance. We do hope that you will give us another try in the future so we can welcome you back and show you the real palms experience.
Sincerest regards!
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Very relaxing room. Great beds. Excellent bathroom/shower facilities. Appreciated the citrus scent in the room. Pool could be bigger & deeper. Location near the end of the strip, which isn't bad - more quiet. Bellhop (his name escapes me, an older gent) was exceedingly polite and professional. Pool towel policy kind of lame. But 24 hr. onsite convenience store a great, and needed touch.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We had a very mixed experience. Room was clean and updated, but bathroom was the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel in this price point. They put us next to elevator and sleep was basically impossible. No one at the service desk seemed to care about this. Food was average onsite, a plus: bell service and valet friendly and on time. I have stayed at many other properties in Miami Beach all of which were better. Would not return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Palms Hotel & Spa. We truly appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to address our guests concerns and gain an invaluable guest perspective on ones experience. I am pleased to hear that you received excellent care from our attentive Bell and Valet teams during your stay. I was however, disappointed to hear that you were disrupted by the noise outside of your guestroom and the overall size of your bathroom, as we do take every precaution to ensure our guests receive a full night of uninterrupted sleep and the very best in luxury amenities. We are always pleased to find the perfect room for each and every guest in order to exceed ones expectations, as we do offer guestrooms of all sizes with different views and locations throughout the hotel, so that we can accommodate all of our guests unique preferences. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to find that perfect room for your next stay.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

I was in Miami for business and stayed at the Palms with my colleagues in mid January for one night. The hotel is very nice and the rooms (mine was a King with Ocean View) beautiful. Despite frequent travel both for business and personal reasons, I never usually write reviews but there are a couple of things that stood out as disappointments with the Palm that I would like to point out for the benefit of other guests.
First, because regular check in is at 4pm and my flight arrived at 10:00am (for a business meeting at 3pm), I had requested an early check-in, which I understand is subject to availability but which the reservations person assured me would not be a problem. When I arrived around 11am the room was not ready and I was told that reception would call me when it was ready. I had lunch on the terrace (very nice) and waited for the call. It was important that I have access to my room before 2pm so that I could change into a suit for my meeting. That did not happen and I had to change in a colleague's room (who had checked in the night before). What's worse is that I only got the call at 4:30 (by then I was well into my meeting) - which is AFTER regular check in time. Disappointing.
The second problem - and I have NEVER seen this happen in any hotel of this standing -is that I called reception before I went to bed and asked for a wake up call at 7am. That call was crucial, as I had to catch a flight at 9:30. Thankfully I also thought to set the alarm on my phone because I never got the wake up call from reception. This is unacceptable for a 4-star hotel. What's worse is that when I informed reception upon checking out that same morning, they did not apologize at all for the error. The attitude of the female receptionists needs major improvement in this regard. I did not find them service-oriented or particularly friendly. Another no no for a 4 star hotel.
Finally - and this is the kicker - I checked my credit card bill today only to see that a additional mystery charge of $31 has been applied to my card, which is clearly a mistake. When I called reception to deal with this, they forwarded me to accounting, where I was immediately put into voicemail at least 5 times. Guests, check your credit card bills to be sure only appropriate hotel charges are on there!!!!
Given the foregoing, I am very disappointed with the service in light of the calibre of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

This hotel is well appointed with an excellent location and top notch staff! When we booked, we were only able to pay for the least expensive "city view" room. I was a little nervous. But, this hotel was incredible! One of the best we have ever experienced!

I had some conversations with the hotel concierge prior to arriving, and she was incredible! She set up airport pick-ups, dinner reservations, etc. All of her suggestions were perfect! The minute we stepped foot on the property, I knew this hotel was fantastic! From the bell staff to the man who checked us in, everyone was very friendly. When I read about the rooms on the website, I thought they might be small, but we had plenty of room. Their rooms are perfectly appointed! The bed was so comfortable, the towels were lush, shower was great, bath products were excellent and even though we had a city view, we couldn't hear any street noise from our room. Also, they had a great desk set up and free wi-fi if you need to get work done.

The restaurant on-site is excellent! We ate there a couple times for both dinner and lunch. The pool is a wonderful oasis in the middle of hectic Miami Beach/South Beach. We loved the location! You could walk to many places along the boardwalk, and the Palms has a locked gate, so you don't get random people walking through the pool area. The pool service was great! The beach was great!

All the staff throughout our stay was super helpful and attentive. We had other friends staying at other resorts and everyone agreed that The Palms was the best! Truly a wonderful experience! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!