“cleanliness and service top notch” 5 of 5 stars

Daily Food Credit Here!
Ranked #55 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Palm Beach, United States
“cleanliness and service top notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We spent this past weekend at the Palms Hotel. I have been to many Hotels. The Mark hotel in Manhattan, the Radisson in Aruba, the Breakers in Palm Beach. This Hotel Is just as good if not better than those I mentioned. From service by Carolyn at the front desk to the waiters and bartenders and valet and bellhops all caring and considerate. The room was clean and well laid out. The view of the ocean was fantastic. The beach and pool exceptional. We had a great time and wanted for nothing.

Room Tip: Ocean view from the 8th floor and up
Green Features: very green hotel, trash containers for recyclable plastics and bottles and high tech toilet that saves water
  • Stayed October 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
basking ridge, nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Room had ocean view, which was lovely! But there are only balconies on the top floor and we were one floor below. That was disappointing. The room had a king bed and pull out couch and both were very comfortable. So were the pillows. The bathroom situation is very odd. The toilet is in a small area that feels like a closet, and has a sink attached that runs for a very long time, after the toilet flushes. The shower is in a normal sized bathroom with sink and mirror, minus the toilet. The pool area and beach are terrific. The tiki bar has a menu for light food and we enjoyed this while it rained. When we went out to the beach a second time after getting caught in the rain, the guys did not help me find a dry lounge chair as they were busy talking to each other and I literally had to turn over lounge chair covers myself and move them. I would think on a day that rained and most people had left the beach, you would be able to get some service from the beach attendants. When we arrived and parked our car, the valet said to call down ten minutes ahead of time to get the car. Prior to checking out, I called down and no one answered. I let it ring for a while. I called back ten minutes later. No one answered again. We went down to the lobby and a valet promptly approached but since every one was checking out, we had to wait in the lobby for a half hour. I am glad I did not have to make a flight. My son pointed out there was a woman sitting at the valet desk. Why she wasn't answering the phone to get the cars before people left their rooms was a mystery. Their system needs to be fine tuned. The location is quiet and more residential because you are north of South Beach. It is a very dark area, not well traveled at night, and was a bit scary walking home from dinner in the heart of South Beach. The halls were also unusually dark. Also, when we used the bathroom, the smell of weed came in through the vent. Not sure who our neighbors were, but the smell was strong over two days and not enjoyable while showering.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, get a room on the top floor.
Green Features: The sink ran too long after the toilet flushed, with no way to turn it off.
  • Stayed October 2015, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We thoroughly enjoyed or stay at the Palms from start to finish. The hotel is situated a little further up from South Beach and it is a bit of a hike to Lincoln. However it's location ensures it is vey quiet at night and also the beach is private and not overcrowded at all. The hotel has a very colonial feel about it and is very well appointed. The room was spacious and had a beautiful view of the beach and ocean. The hotel has some excellent swimming pools and gardens surrounding them, it truly felt like an oasis.

Stayed October 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed at The Palms for two nights. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, lush and spotlessly clean, and the staff is very friendly and helpful, both in The hotel and on the beach. The room was very nice, a little cramped but not a problem. We really liked the two separate bathroom areas, a shower and basin in one and a toilet and basin in the other, along with plenty of space to store belongings. There were also some drawers and a closet for clothes, plus a safe. The pool area, beach and Tiki bar were beautiful, along with a beautiful porch in the back and beautiful bar. We didn't try the restaurant but heard it was excellent, and there is also a nice spa. The hallways seemed a little dark, but I suppose it was just part of the atmosphere.
I would have given The Palms five stars if it hadn't been for a few negatives, and they may not be important to anyone else. First, no balconies, which would have been great with such beautiful views. The lighting in the bathroom was terrible, with shadows on your face if you're trying to put on makeup or get something out of your eye.
The soundproofing didn't seem so good for such a nice hotel, but possibly we just had loud neighbors.
The parking fee and resort fees seemed way too high, but that's just how it is in Miami Beach. I would much prefer a refrigerator in the room instead of a mini bar, which is just another added expense and not worth it at all. I noticed some reviewers were upset about the $7 water bottles in the room, and that is exorbitant, but it's marked on the bottles, so we just didn't use them.
All in all, it was a wonderful stay, I would just prefer something a little more practical. I would certainly recommend the hotel as far as beauty, comfort and excellence of staff!

Stayed October 2015, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear beachgal5673,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We are pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and felt that the hotel was beautiful. We very much appreciate you sharing these suggestions with us. We will notify our management team immediately, so they may consider this when looking into areas of the hotel, which require improvement. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly (alma@thepalmshotel.com) I would love to obtain your room number so that we may look into the lighting and sound issues you experienced during your stay. We very much appreciate your kind recommendation, and look forward to welcoming you for a return stay very soon!
Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We recently attended a wedding at The Palms and we were very pleased with the hotel. The staff was extremely professional, eager to please, and very friendly. From the front desk to the "towel bar" by the pool to the servers to housekeeping everyone made us feel welcome. The rooms were very comfortable and inviting. Although you could hear what was going on out in the hallway the noise levels were basically minimal. The wedding on the beach and all the activities associated with it (cocktail party, reception, and brunch) were enjoyable - fantastic job! If we ever return to Miami Beach we wouldn't hesitate to stay at The Palms again and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2015, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Ready for a long review? Good!

The Visit: Stayed here two nights in late October of 2014, for a business conference. All meetings took place in the hotel, so I spent considerable time there.
The Stay: Arrived via taxi from the airport, which took around 20-25 minutes on a weekday morning. Your fees to South Beach are defined on the chart in the taxi's window, around $20 if I recall correctly, plus tip.
Upon arrival I was immediately greeted by the bellman who got my suitcase, and put a tag on it. It seemed there were plenty of bellman and valets available, waiting to help. I was a bit early to check in (an hour or so) and after a bit of convincing and computer-searching, the front desk found a room for me. I was informed that my room would not be on the same floor as either of the other travelers from my company, but that was fine. Check in took a bit long, as there were two intern exchange students (their country of origin was on their name tag) working the computer. This is understandable, as a Sunday morning is not really a peak time for check in. I was told my luggage would be brought to my room, but as I had not checked in yet and didn't get a tag number for the front desk, I didn't see how the bag was supposed to get to me. I felt this was doubtful. Walking back to the entry I found my suitcase still sitting there and unattended, so I took it up myself.
The building itself is Art Deco style, and has been maintained and altered throughout the years. There are compromises here and there, and the inconveniences which come with an old building. Specifically I noted the odd layout and distance between restaurant, spa, outdoor access, restaurant, and conference rooms, as well as the lack of elevators. Six or seven stairs between each locale, like a quad-level house. The elevators became an issue when the hotel was rather full with our 100+ conference guests, as the wait for an elevator became considerable. Plan ahead if you need to be downstairs at a certain time.

The Area: You might note that this area of Collins Avenue contains several closed down and/or gutted hotels, as well as lower income apartment buildings where people hang their laundry on their balconies to dry. It's all Art Deco in appearance, but well beyond pristine or clean. On a two block walk around with my coworker, we noticed vandalized cars, one of which had freshly happened as there was still glass all over the ground. I would say this area is not -quite- South Beach, as it's too far north. More like North-Central South Beach. Construction is going on in several places, as well as the aforementioned closed/gutted/abandoned hotels. There is not much accessible within walking distance, and certainly no bars or nightlife, beyond a couple of hotel bars. The entire area is loud (!) with construction, trucks, barriers, and barrels. Obviously this won't go on forever, but it's not ideal. It seemed to me like one of those areas which might be back to normal, restored, and desirable in 5-10 years.

The Room: My room was on the fifth floor, and faced Collins Avenue, called a "City View" (cheaper option). It seemed I had a corner room which was also a handicap accessible one, so it was a bit larger than the rooms of my work associates, and also had a bench area in the shower. The furnishings were nice enough, but not for the $220/night negotiated -discount- rate the hotel had given for the conference. For example, one of the chairs at the table in the corner had a big stain on it. The bathroom was clean and modern with Aveda soaps and shampoos (nice!), but was rather short on counter space. I found I didn't have any extra room while I was in there, and it would have been hard for two people to use the bathroom at the same time. Rounding out the bathroom was a nice sized glass shower (again, remember handicap accessible room). Unfortunately, the water pressure was rather poor through the rainfall-style shower head, and it was very difficult to get a good temperature. You could pick between slightly cold, or scalding. I picked slightly cold. The other two travelers had similar water temperature issues with their rooms.
The iron spit water all over the dress clothes I was trying to re-iron from being in my luggage, adding to my preparation time for the evening's events considerably. Television stations were very limited, and the On-demand option on the remote didn't work. The remote seemed faulty in general. The room does feature an installed USB and outlet station for charging your devices. There was a fridge (which was off) with some warm drinks and snacks for $8 or whatever. I don't see much appeal in a warm beer for $8. There were two room temperature bottles of water in the room (Evian), but these were not courtesy waters, and there was a tag on them indicating a $6 charge added if you drank one. So I hope you enjoy tap water. I found a charge for a bottle of water ridiculous in a "luxury resort" hotel.
The bed I will say was very comfortable. Plenty soft - lots of pillows, nice sheets, and a down comforter. It was all clean. No complaints there, and after my two long days traveling and/or in meetings, I passed right out.

The rooms and lobby do have free wi-fi, but it's slow and unreliable. I had frequent disconnects in my room, and any of the outdoor areas did not have wi-fi service. Ended up using my data connection instead.

Pool/Beach: The "back yard" of the hotel as I would call it, was nice and had a secluded feeling. There are a couple pathways meandering around by the pool and gardens on your way to the beach, and a couple parrots out there for entertainment. The pool was pretty small for a resort, and seemed like it was not utilized much, even on a warm sunny day. Access to and from the beach is with your room card keeping the riffraff out, and what I got to see of that part looked nice. I didn't have time to use the beach, unfortunately. Again though, the sound of construction permeates the space day and night, so don’t plan on a nice afternoon nap by the pool.

Conference Facilities: Generally the conference rooms were well-prepared and lighted, with sufficient (but not great) room for our crowd of about 100 people. The chairs were pretty close together, and aisle space was limited in the largest conference room, the Royal Palm. During the breaks we had on the Veranda Terrace, everything was ready and waiting for our 15 minutes of freedom between sessions. The food was always stocked and ready, and the conference rooms while we were on break got refills of water, coffee etc. The coffee was a low point, as it was usually not hot and didn't have a good flavor. The stuff I made in the room with the Keurig was far superior.

The basement conference rooms were used for some small sessions we had, and fortunately I was only in there for about an hour (the Coconut Palm room). These rooms were cramped, hot and humid, with either non-functioning AC or AC that was turned off. Uncomfortable and cheap chairs, old brown carpet, dank and damp room. Totally unacceptable.

Food: I ate the hotel catering for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as at the hotel restaurant Essencia, and visited the attached lounge/bar.
The catered food was a 3/5 for breakfast and lunch, and a 4.5/5 for dinner. I'm not big on breakfast admittedly, but what other people were eating only looked alright. Dry pastries, muffins, yogurt. Lunch was some unmemorable warm sandwiches, but I recall they had good quality water and Coke products in glass bottles, which is always nice. Dinner was several kinds of good food - notably I remember tasty desserts in single serving cups, and some delicious spicy chorizo.

The Essencia restaurant was really nothing special; expensive, slow, and overpriced. It took our group of 15 people an hour to get seated (though the restaurant was nearly empty - a Sunday evening) and then another 1.5 hours to get food. By 10:00 when we got food, I had eaten so much bread I was out of the mood! I saw maybe two other patrons in the restaurant besides our group, so I can only assume the restaurant was seriously understaffed. I had a steak with a green sauce, which was forgettable and $25. The catered dinner (mentioned above) the next evening was much better.

Attached is the bar, with some indifferent and slow bartenders who seem more interested in chatting to coworkers than fixing your drink. My first order was for a DiSaronno, where I received the reply "We don't carry that, we have some other brand amaretto." Sorry, what? High-end hotel doesn't even carry brand name amaretto? I'll pass. So I drank a mojito instead, which was pretty good and pretty strong.

I visited the bar again, on my day of departure shortly after lunch time. This time I came within two minutes of having to cancel my drink order to leave for my flight home. I didn't think it would take 23 minutes to get a mixed drink from their special drinks menu, but I guess that's my mistake. So I downed it when I got it, and said goodbye to The Palms.

I gave this place 3/5 stars which is generous now that I think about it. If I had paid for the room instead of my company, (and presumably been there for vacation instead of a work conference) my review would be lower. It's simply not a desirable place to stay for a vacation or any extended period of time. The construction and location away from other things to do makes this place an avoid, unfortunately. It's a cool Deco hotel with some character (exterior and lobby at least), in the wrong part of town. Stay further south!

Room Tip: Ocean View on a high floor will be better than a City View of Collins Ave. construction/poverty.
Green Features: This hotel is -all about- eco. I found it annoying there were signs everywhere reminding me to be eco and what not, but I'm sure some people like that.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Corey DL
Thank you for your detailed and very thorough recent review of your stay with us back in October 2014. While we wish we had managed to provide you with a better overall experience during your visit, we believe that being a bit north of the hustle and bustle of South Beach is truly giving you the best of both worlds. It makes for the relaxing environment of our tranquil beach offered to all of our guests that don’t mind the short cab ride or walk on the boardwalk to Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive and the more crowded areas of South Beach. We hope that you would be happy to know that since your last stay construction in the area has nearly come to an end and the overall improvement has been significant. Should your travels bring you back to Miami Beach we hope to welcome you once again so you may experience and enjoy the many improvements we have made throughout the year including our WiFi.
Warm regards,
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here with 3 girlfriends for the weekend. Very nice hotel, updated rooms, not an extremely big hotel as other hotels in Miami. Good location: 30 min walk to all the bars and restaurants at South Beach or a 8 min taxi drive. Nice pool and very nice beach. Lunch and drinks from the pool/beach bar very good. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: room with ocean view is very nice.
  • Stayed October 2015, traveled with friends