“Wonderful Accommodations and Exceptional Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Daily Food Credit Here!
Ranked #55 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Wonderful Accommodations and Exceptional Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We recently attended a wedding at The Palms and we were very pleased with the hotel. The staff was extremely professional, eager to please, and very friendly. From the front desk to the "towel bar" by the pool to the servers to housekeeping everyone made us feel welcome. The rooms were very comfortable and inviting. Although you could hear what was going on out in the hallway the noise levels were basically minimal. The wedding on the beach and all the activities associated with it (cocktail party, reception, and brunch) were enjoyable - fantastic job! If we ever return to Miami Beach we wouldn't hesitate to stay at The Palms again and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Ready for a long review? Good!

The Visit: Stayed here two nights in late October of 2014, for a business conference. All meetings took place in the hotel, so I spent considerable time there.
The Stay: Arrived via taxi from the airport, which took around 20-25 minutes on a weekday morning. Your fees to South Beach are defined on the chart in the taxi's window, around $20 if I recall correctly, plus tip.
Upon arrival I was immediately greeted by the bellman who got my suitcase, and put a tag on it. It seemed there were plenty of bellman and valets available, waiting to help. I was a bit early to check in (an hour or so) and after a bit of convincing and computer-searching, the front desk found a room for me. I was informed that my room would not be on the same floor as either of the other travelers from my company, but that was fine. Check in took a bit long, as there were two intern exchange students (their country of origin was on their name tag) working the computer. This is understandable, as a Sunday morning is not really a peak time for check in. I was told my luggage would be brought to my room, but as I had not checked in yet and didn't get a tag number for the front desk, I didn't see how the bag was supposed to get to me. I felt this was doubtful. Walking back to the entry I found my suitcase still sitting there and unattended, so I took it up myself.
The building itself is Art Deco style, and has been maintained and altered throughout the years. There are compromises here and there, and the inconveniences which come with an old building. Specifically I noted the odd layout and distance between restaurant, spa, outdoor access, restaurant, and conference rooms, as well as the lack of elevators. Six or seven stairs between each locale, like a quad-level house. The elevators became an issue when the hotel was rather full with our 100+ conference guests, as the wait for an elevator became considerable. Plan ahead if you need to be downstairs at a certain time.

The Area: You might note that this area of Collins Avenue contains several closed down and/or gutted hotels, as well as lower income apartment buildings where people hang their laundry on their balconies to dry. It's all Art Deco in appearance, but well beyond pristine or clean. On a two block walk around with my coworker, we noticed vandalized cars, one of which had freshly happened as there was still glass all over the ground. I would say this area is not -quite- South Beach, as it's too far north. More like North-Central South Beach. Construction is going on in several places, as well as the aforementioned closed/gutted/abandoned hotels. There is not much accessible within walking distance, and certainly no bars or nightlife, beyond a couple of hotel bars. The entire area is loud (!) with construction, trucks, barriers, and barrels. Obviously this won't go on forever, but it's not ideal. It seemed to me like one of those areas which might be back to normal, restored, and desirable in 5-10 years.

The Room: My room was on the fifth floor, and faced Collins Avenue, called a "City View" (cheaper option). It seemed I had a corner room which was also a handicap accessible one, so it was a bit larger than the rooms of my work associates, and also had a bench area in the shower. The furnishings were nice enough, but not for the $220/night negotiated -discount- rate the hotel had given for the conference. For example, one of the chairs at the table in the corner had a big stain on it. The bathroom was clean and modern with Aveda soaps and shampoos (nice!), but was rather short on counter space. I found I didn't have any extra room while I was in there, and it would have been hard for two people to use the bathroom at the same time. Rounding out the bathroom was a nice sized glass shower (again, remember handicap accessible room). Unfortunately, the water pressure was rather poor through the rainfall-style shower head, and it was very difficult to get a good temperature. You could pick between slightly cold, or scalding. I picked slightly cold. The other two travelers had similar water temperature issues with their rooms.
The iron spit water all over the dress clothes I was trying to re-iron from being in my luggage, adding to my preparation time for the evening's events considerably. Television stations were very limited, and the On-demand option on the remote didn't work. The remote seemed faulty in general. The room does feature an installed USB and outlet station for charging your devices. There was a fridge (which was off) with some warm drinks and snacks for $8 or whatever. I don't see much appeal in a warm beer for $8. There were two room temperature bottles of water in the room (Evian), but these were not courtesy waters, and there was a tag on them indicating a $6 charge added if you drank one. So I hope you enjoy tap water. I found a charge for a bottle of water ridiculous in a "luxury resort" hotel.
The bed I will say was very comfortable. Plenty soft - lots of pillows, nice sheets, and a down comforter. It was all clean. No complaints there, and after my two long days traveling and/or in meetings, I passed right out.

The rooms and lobby do have free wi-fi, but it's slow and unreliable. I had frequent disconnects in my room, and any of the outdoor areas did not have wi-fi service. Ended up using my data connection instead.

Pool/Beach: The "back yard" of the hotel as I would call it, was nice and had a secluded feeling. There are a couple pathways meandering around by the pool and gardens on your way to the beach, and a couple parrots out there for entertainment. The pool was pretty small for a resort, and seemed like it was not utilized much, even on a warm sunny day. Access to and from the beach is with your room card keeping the riffraff out, and what I got to see of that part looked nice. I didn't have time to use the beach, unfortunately. Again though, the sound of construction permeates the space day and night, so don’t plan on a nice afternoon nap by the pool.

Conference Facilities: Generally the conference rooms were well-prepared and lighted, with sufficient (but not great) room for our crowd of about 100 people. The chairs were pretty close together, and aisle space was limited in the largest conference room, the Royal Palm. During the breaks we had on the Veranda Terrace, everything was ready and waiting for our 15 minutes of freedom between sessions. The food was always stocked and ready, and the conference rooms while we were on break got refills of water, coffee etc. The coffee was a low point, as it was usually not hot and didn't have a good flavor. The stuff I made in the room with the Keurig was far superior.

The basement conference rooms were used for some small sessions we had, and fortunately I was only in there for about an hour (the Coconut Palm room). These rooms were cramped, hot and humid, with either non-functioning AC or AC that was turned off. Uncomfortable and cheap chairs, old brown carpet, dank and damp room. Totally unacceptable.

Food: I ate the hotel catering for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as at the hotel restaurant Essencia, and visited the attached lounge/bar.
The catered food was a 3/5 for breakfast and lunch, and a 4.5/5 for dinner. I'm not big on breakfast admittedly, but what other people were eating only looked alright. Dry pastries, muffins, yogurt. Lunch was some unmemorable warm sandwiches, but I recall they had good quality water and Coke products in glass bottles, which is always nice. Dinner was several kinds of good food - notably I remember tasty desserts in single serving cups, and some delicious spicy chorizo.

The Essencia restaurant was really nothing special; expensive, slow, and overpriced. It took our group of 15 people an hour to get seated (though the restaurant was nearly empty - a Sunday evening) and then another 1.5 hours to get food. By 10:00 when we got food, I had eaten so much bread I was out of the mood! I saw maybe two other patrons in the restaurant besides our group, so I can only assume the restaurant was seriously understaffed. I had a steak with a green sauce, which was forgettable and $25. The catered dinner (mentioned above) the next evening was much better.

Attached is the bar, with some indifferent and slow bartenders who seem more interested in chatting to coworkers than fixing your drink. My first order was for a DiSaronno, where I received the reply "We don't carry that, we have some other brand amaretto." Sorry, what? High-end hotel doesn't even carry brand name amaretto? I'll pass. So I drank a mojito instead, which was pretty good and pretty strong.

I visited the bar again, on my day of departure shortly after lunch time. This time I came within two minutes of having to cancel my drink order to leave for my flight home. I didn't think it would take 23 minutes to get a mixed drink from their special drinks menu, but I guess that's my mistake. So I downed it when I got it, and said goodbye to The Palms.

I gave this place 3/5 stars which is generous now that I think about it. If I had paid for the room instead of my company, (and presumably been there for vacation instead of a work conference) my review would be lower. It's simply not a desirable place to stay for a vacation or any extended period of time. The construction and location away from other things to do makes this place an avoid, unfortunately. It's a cool Deco hotel with some character (exterior and lobby at least), in the wrong part of town. Stay further south!

Room Tip: Ocean View on a high floor will be better than a City View of Collins Ave. construction/poverty.
Green Features: This hotel is -all about- eco. I found it annoying there were signs everywhere reminding me to be eco and what not, but I'm sure some people like that.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed here with 3 girlfriends for the weekend. Very nice hotel, updated rooms, not an extremely big hotel as other hotels in Miami. Good location: 30 min walk to all the bars and restaurants at South Beach or a 8 min taxi drive. Nice pool and very nice beach. Lunch and drinks from the pool/beach bar very good. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: room with ocean view is very nice.
  • Stayed October 2015, traveled with friends
Bentonville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We came back to stay here after almost 10 years and had a great time. The rooms are very nicely done and really modern. The service is great. When my two year old left her favorite toy on the beach, it was retrieved by the staff managing the beach bar. And the best of all. When the very loud people in the next room kept us awake at night, they actually threw them out!

Stayed October 2015, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

When my wife and I go on a cruises out of Miami we ALWAYS stay at this hotel
The hotel has all of amenities you can ask for. The staff cant be beat!!!
When you stay here and you need assistance ask for Karina she was so helpful and pleasant to work with.

• Stayed September 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We came here in February 2015 to escape the winter. The hotel was in a decent location but a bit of a walk to the more central areas. The rooms were small but were decent in terms of cleanliness and amenities, but nothing special for sure. The bathroom I thought was strangely small as there was little room for more than one person to be in there. Overall, it was an average stay but the rates were high due to the long weekend. Given the late notice of our trip, there wasn't any availability in any of the other higher end hotels, but if you have a couple hundred dollars to spend, I would recommend paying extra and splurging somewhere else. The grounds were fine and the pool was pleasant. We enjoyed our trip but there was nothing memorable about the hotel itself. I wouldn't mind staying here again but I would prefer to try somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Bobby O,
We thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at our hotel. While we are glad to know that you found our grounds and pool pleasant, it was to our regret to read that we did not leave you with a memorable stay. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience and it’s apparent that we fell short in this aspect. For that we apologize. We truly hope that you would be willing to give us another chance in the future, so we may show you the true hospitality and excellent experience we are capable of delivering. When you are ready to book your next stay please contact me directly at alma@thepalmshotel.com and I’ll be happy to handle the details of your reservation.
Warm regards,
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

As the title suggests, I was completely underwhelmed by my time at this hotel. Overall trip advisor rating is 4 stars and other ratings online shows 4 stars, but this property really should be rated as 3 stars overall. I am reviewing this property with 2 stars as my stay warrants only 2 at most.

Upon arrival you are greeted by friendly valet, helpful bellmen and helpful, but not friendly, front desk staff. The lobby is comfortable as are the rooms, but remember this building was built in 1940, so there are a few quirky elements to the interiors as they were modified over the years for ADA etc. (expected with an older property)

The entire stay at the property made me feel that the hotel is understaffed and not managed well. The employees aren't very friendly (they should be friendly at 4 star properties). This may be because the property is understaffed and it makes things more challenging for the staff that is there. Basically management needs to get on the ball, hire more people and make their staff happy. A happy staff will treat customers better.

While the valet staff was friendly, but again they were severely understaffed in this area. During our stay there was a flood in Miami Beach, which was due to high tides and was a rare occurrence. So, naturally, we expected a long wait time for the car during the flood. But... Before the flood happened, the valet would take 30-40 minutes to retrieve the cars for our group. When you are paying $37 a night to park your car, you expect more. We were at the hotel for a large wedding. Seems the hotel would predict their staffing based on hotel occupancy and expected wedding event guests, but that was not the case at this hotel.

The pool is small, but adequate. Not a resort style pool and certainly not worth the $22.95 per night "RESORT" fee that is added to your bill. If I am paying a "resort fee", I expect a resort. The spa is small and has a nice offering, but did not book an appointment because the facilities were not at par with a supposed 4 star property. The beach access is one of the best features of the property.

We visited the hotel restaurant "Essensia" for brunch. The service was very slow. Not our server's fault, but the restaurant seemed, you guessed it, understaffed. Again, we were there for a wedding and seems logical to staff appropriately.
I was not impressed by the food quality or taste. Presentation was nice, but that didn't add flavor unfortunately. We chose the "Miami Spice" brunch. I chose the "hash" and it looked and tasted as if it came from a frozen TV dinner. A friend in our party ordered the fish taco. It was just that. One very small taco. Disappointing. I really feel we should have gone off property, but with an hour wait for the car, we stayed. Later that evening, we ordered 2 pizzas delivered so we wouldn't have to eat at the restaurant.

The room was clean and comfortable. Unfortunately during our stay, when I wanted to sleep in until 10am, I was awakened abruptly at 8am because they were doing construction in the next room. Oddly enough it was only from 8am-10am. Why on Earth start construction at 8am if it finished at 10am. For the comfort of the guests they should schedule it for the late morning. When I told the front desk, the response, "oh sorry to hear that". Again... Poor management.
Additionally, we experienced a severe leak from the toilet in our room at 3am on Monday morning. Knowing the hotel is not responsive I didn't want to wait God knows how long for someone to come to the room to service. I remedied the issue myself with towels and using the garbage pale to collect the large amounts of water from the leak at 3am. Again when I advised the front desk, I received a very passive, meek response. It's like they don't care. On top of it, I still had to pay a "resort" fee and was offered NO compensation for the problems.

So, the question remains.... Would I recommend this hotel. As a four star property, No.
If they fix the issues and recognize themselves for what they are, 3 stars, then yes.

I have to say that two employees stood out. The female concierge was on point, attentive, friendly and efficient. There was also a Tiki bar tender/server (mid twenties, thin, dark hair) that was excellent, friendly and attentive. Thank you to these two staff members.

Stayed September 2015, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Randy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa. I have just reached out to you via email. We managed to match your review with our internal records. Our F&B department will be sending you an email shortly. It is our sincere hope that your opinion of our property would be at least a bit more favorable after reading my email. I look forward to your response.
Warm regards,