“Beautiful hideaway in a busy city!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful hideaway in a busy city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I chose the Palms Hotel for a number of reasons: it had a beautiful, "Southern Plantation" feel to its outdoor, restaurant terrace and a pool and garden area shaded by palms (what else?) and mature stands of bamboo. It seemed like an oasis in a busy city. We found its staff to be warm and helpful (and incredibly multi-national). We appreciated the hotel's efforts to be "green" with locally sourced and organic food items, where possible. Its location was in a slightly less busy part of South Beach and, since we like to walk, we could just follow the beach-front walkway in either direction to explore the architectural gems that line the beach. Since nearly all beach-front rooms do not have windows that open, we chose a city-view room (junior suite) with a balcony where we sat in the evenings and watched the sun set over Miami. This was quite a treat. We really enjoyed our one-week stay and would consider returning the the Palms on subsequent trips.

Room Tip: Lower beach-front rooms will not have a view of the beach due to the palm trees. Only the two suites...
Green Features: The hotel is trying to be green, so this is good. It did have "waterfall" shower heads which did not seem to be consistent with this policy.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I just returned from a great 4-day stay at the Palms and we were very pleased with pretty much everything: clean, comfortable, modern room and property with plenty of character and lovely details; lush garden atmosphere around the pool and grounds; gorgeous beach just across the boardwalk with comfy chairs and umbrellas. We found the staff to be very attentive and friendly overall and never waited getting food or drinks at the beach or the pool. We had lunch from the Tikki Bar on the beach every day and it was quite tasty. Breakfast at the Essensia restaurant was just ok--it's a beautiful setting but food is pricey and average. We never had dinner at the restaurant, choosing instead to explore some great spots in South Beach and downtown Miami (highly recommend Khong River House, Cibo Wine Bar, River Oyster House, and Tropical Beach Cafe just down the street for excellent cafe con leche and simple eggs and toast).

The Palms is a bit north of the craziness of South Beach, which we were very grateful for--Collins Ave and Ocean Drive are pretty trashy and overrun with spring breakers so we were happy to have a quieter, more quality experience. Our stretch of beach was also cleaner and less crazy, which was amazing--I'm a real beach snob and I was very happy with the crystal clear water and cleanliness. We didn't have a car (to avoid $$ hotel valet) and we never needed one--we walked, biked, or took cabs and Uber everywhere. The boardwalk goes all the way down to the tip and is very pleasant, especially at night when it's cooler.

The hotel gets major points for handling our noise complaint the first night really quickly--there was a loud group of 20-somethings in the room next door (walls do seem quite thin) who were playing music and singing/shouting and security handled it within 5 minutes of my calling the front desk--such a relief!

A few quibbles:
--The hotel sets up lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach every morning, first come, first served, and people are allowed to just throw their towels and a magazine on them to save them for hours on end (first row facing ocean always went quickly), while they're off doing other things. We saw several front-row chairs saved endlessly, with no guests actually using them for many hours--and other guests would be out of luck when they ran out of umbrellas. I think the resort should task the beach staff to keep an eye out and limit how long chairs can be saved, as people are abusing the system.

--There's a really nice outdoor lounge space with comfy chairs where you can order drinks and bar food, but unfortunately it's completely ruined by people smoking--the smoke just hangs over the space and is stifling. We wanted to have a late evening drink outside and dessert but we just couldn't stand it, and that was the only option as there was no late night service around the pool. Too bad they can't ban smoking entirely in this space.

--This is something the hotel has no control over but worth mentioning: every day, all day there are small planes and helicopters flying low over all of South Beach, in endless loops, dragging horrible advertising banners...it really started to ruin my beach experience because it's terrible noise pollution. The hotels should seriously band together and attempt to ban these planes as they are beyond obnoxious, and everything they advertise is trashy.

Otherwise we loved The Palms and would definitely stay there again!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Our stay in The Palms was lovely!
The room was clean, the ocean view was spectacular, the spa treatments were luxurious, and the entire staff was friendly and courteous. We had dinner in the restaurant two evenings. The food was outstanding. Wait staff (especially Alex and Cheryl) went above and beyond to make us feel special! Highly recommend!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The Palms is right on the beach. Within walking distance of the South Beach crowd, if you are young. You need transportation, otherwise.

Everything at the hotel is expensive but nice: $17 glass of house wine. Great-but-expensive Margaritas, and the service is terrific. The beach is just across the boardwalk, and the pool/cabana area is very nice. We made friends with the parrots!

Rooms are good, clean, and a little bit cramped. We would go back, but will look for a place that is a bit closer to to the action (a bit further south). The service is very sensitive, and the service providers are great, but you feel that the hotel is making great deal of money every time you drink , eat, or open a door.

Room Tip: Ocean views go much faster than do city views. The city view is not so terrific.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at The Palms. We had an oceanfront room which had the most amazing view of the the sunset and sunrise. The beds were very comfortable and the Aveda products in the bathrooms were so soothing after a day of sun on the beach. The only thing I would have liked is a balcony to sip my coffee and wine in the morning and night.
As far as the facilities, we never left the resort. The beach was beautiful- soft sand, crystal clear ocean water, beach umbrellas and padded lounge chairs- with flags to raise when needing to order a drink or food!!! The pool was well maintained and had soothing music and a wonderful Tiki bar. My husband and I split a lunch every day as the portions were filling. Also, order the chips and guac and salsa- so fresh and yummy!
Speaking of food, the Essensia restaurant had the most amazing gourmet meals bursting with flavor! My favorite was the snapper cevecchie and the coconut Thai soup!
The staff couldn't have been more accommodating and the resort was super clean!! We had a fabulous time-it was so relaxing and enjoyable!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I stayed here from March 16-19th with my sister, my brother in law, and their two kids. The hotel is clean and beautiful. They are successful at creating a serene and peaceful enviornment and it felt like an oasis everytime we walked back in from dinner or a visit to south beach. The pool area never felt crowded nor did the beach. The beach was peaceful and quiet. There is beach side service but they are not the most attentive. You have a flag but they don't seem too notice when you have it raised for service. We gave up one day and went to the pool instead for drinks.

I went before sunrise this morning and started out as the only one on the beach for a very early mornjng swim. Lovely experience.

Upon arrival since our room was not ready we ate at essensia. Surprisingly after the reviews it was just ok. I had the beet and quinoa burger. The taste was good but it completely fell apart. My sistser's fries were way under cooked - they brought her some new ones. No big deal. My nieces mini burger was crazy over cooked and burned on the outside. They replaced it was chicken fingers. Not a great first experience though.

We had lunch by the pool on both full days and hat was alright too. I asked for no prosciutto on my sandwich and it still came with it even though the server repeated it back correctly. I'm not a vegetarian just didn't want the meat so not a huge deal to me but reinforced the idea that the resteraunt wasn't great at the details. Food is not spectacular or cheap but it was convenient. It wouldn't hinder me from staying again but it would be nice to see improvement there.

I used the spa for a salt scrub and massage. The salt scrub with the aqua tank was an experience. When I booked via phone and they confirmed the staff did not give me enough information for me to come prepared with proper attire. If you do a scrub or other body treatment with the tank you will get completely wet. You might want to bring a two piece bathing suit to the spa if you want to be covered. I enjoyed both the scrub and the anti stress massage. I had Carlos. He was great.

We had a really fantastic stay here despite the resteraunt/service issues. I would stay again without question but would be better prepared to plan out my day to avoid the resteraunt(i.e. Grab sandwiches for lunch at breakfast time, etc).

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the hotel the weekend of March 14-16th, 2015. We were celebrating my husband's birthday, which I mentioned when booking the hotel. Let me just say that this was my first time visiting Miami and The Palms made this experience even better.
The minute we entered the hotel, I knew it was the right choice. It's crispy clean, beautiful, light, spacious and smells so good.
Our room was Standard City View King Bed. Very neat, the bathroom was also very clean and that comes from a person who is obsessed with cleaning. Yes, I'm a neat freak and usually can't even sleep normally in hotel beds. But The Palms was a totally different experience.
The hotel is also eco-friendly, which was one of the main reasons why I chose it. Finally, I found a hotel where the room temperature was just perfect, without it being either extra cold or extra hot, without crazy A/C sound and so on.

The nicest part was that they remembered it was my husband's bday and left us a complimentary bottle of champagne.

The premises of the hotel, such as pool area, restaurant, bar/lounge, spa are also exquisite. I felt like I was somewhere on the islands. The hotel staff are super friendly and you can see they really care for their customers. At least I felt that we all really mattered and they answered any question I had right away and went out their ways if I had a request.

We didn't get to eat at the restaurant, but we did order desserts from them and their Orange Creme Brûlée and Chocolate Mousse Cake are the best I've ever had, hands down.

Although the check out time is at 11am, but they let us check-out at 12 and moreover they let us leave our bags with the busboy, since we still had few hours to kill before heading to the airport. I will just repeat, that the service was outstanding.

I definitely recommend it to everyone. To me this hotel was worth every penny and I just wish we could have stayed there longer and try their spa facility. At least now I know what hotel to choose when I come to Miami again.

Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Nadi T,
Thank you for choosing The Palms Hotel & Spa for such a special occasion as the celebration of your husband’s birthday and as your hotel of choice for your first time in Miami. We could not be happier to know that from the moment you arrived until your departure, your experience at The Palms was flawless. It is with great pleasure that we read of your satisfaction with the price/quality ratio we have to offer our guests at The Palms. Thank you for the lovely review. It means so much to us to have your recommendation! Our team’s primary goal is to make sure that every guest feels cared for, appreciated and respected at every encounter and we are glad to read you have experienced just that in your interactions with staff throughout the hotel. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again and again as our valued repeat guests for many more perfect Palms stays.
Warm regards,
Alma

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!