“Very bad experience with customer Service, Good hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Advance Purchase $224
Ranked #53 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Very bad experience with customer Service, Good hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Though I had a very good stay at the hotel in general, I was treated to a $120 surprise for a small package I had shipped to my home overseas by the hotel.

I had a few packages sent to the hotel before my stay, with the intent of taking them with me back home overseas. This worked perfectly, but one of the packages came late. I asked the hotel staff send it to my home address once it arrived. It took three reminders for this package to be shipped, but once the process got going everything went very fast. I received a fedex express international priority tracking number, without having had a chance to pick the shipment method of having been sent a quote.

I trusted the staff to be reasonable in picking the shipping method, but this was clearly a mistake. The package contents was a few grams, and the value a bit over over $20. Imagine my surprise when I got hit by a $120 bill from FedEx!

I complained by email and got no response. I called, and was assured that the responsible manager would call me back. After receiving no call for weeks, I called again and finally got somebody on the line to tell me. The person, unfortunately I did not get her name, was kind enough to go through the incident with me - but the hotel refused to take any responsibility. The lady kept saying that they trust FedEx, who is their vendor of choice for overseas shipments, and they have no responsibility and how much it costs to ship a package.

Certainly I was a fool to trust the staff, but I would've expected the hotel management to be understanding of the situation and offer some sort of compensation. No luck, and certainly no more visits to this otherwise nice place…

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

1,059 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
Roanoke
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

This was a great place to stay in Miami Beach. The hotel was very nice, with ample rooms. The hotel is located about 13 blocks from South Beach which was okay with us since we did wish to be in that area due to the noise at night. The on site dining is very good, but is a little expensive. You can walk to Lincoln Road where there is a lot of good eating places. There is no on site parking at the hotel, so you are better doing the valet parking. Overall our experience was very good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here at the end of April. We had a great time. We were upgraded our room to a nice corner room facing the street and lobby area of the hotel. All of the staff members were accommodating and most were attentive. Loved the pool and beach areas. I did find that the wait staff at the pool and beach were above average as they were friendly and remembered your name, but sometimes I had to go and ask for things. I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, but there were times when we got our lounge chairs and nobody would ask if we needed anything for a half hour. Don't know if it was busy, understaffed a bit maybe. Overall though, it was a very relaxing and pleasant experience. Definitely would be back to this hotel. If you stay here, take advantage of the Aveda spa. We both got the Salt Scrub and a couples massage that was excellent. There's a nice sauna you can use in the waiting area after you check in for the spa and they give you ice cold bottled water in between all the things you do there. Essensia is a very nice restaurant, had dinner there 4 times, and every meal was excellent though a little on the pricier side. The Essensia staff members were perfect. Thanks Palms Hotel & Spa, you made my girlfriend's first visit to Miami a good one.

Green Features: This is a pretty cool idea, but I'm not sure it really impacts much in the way a hotel guest would value the hotel itself. But it's neat that they are doing this.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Been coming to the beach for years so I'm particular. The Palms met all my expectations. Friendly, helpful staff. Beautiful decor with numerous options for spots to relax and enjoy. Attentive amenities from complimentary slippers to ice with turndown service. The fruit flavored water was in endless supply as you relax by the pool or ocean. Gorgeous, well-tended grounds with dazzling orchids and ginger plants. The addition of pet parrots added to the already interesting array of birds spied on the property. There were complimentary print newspapers and ample coffee supplies in room. Just a perfect spot to enjoy why we love Miami Beach and still feel at home.

Green Features: definitely a plus, it even has a garden for herbs and vegetables on the grounds. It shows that it understands our important connection with nature.
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited The Palms in April 2014 and the entire experience was a pleasure. We had booked the "Ultimate Romance Package" which included two free breakfasts (for both of us) as well as a candlelit 5-course dinner in a private cabana. The food at Essensia in the hotel is amazing. There wasn't a thing on the menu I disliked and everything was bursting with fresh, citrus, and natural flavors. I highly recommend the duck sliders as an appetizer.

In the morning, few breakfast buffets compare to the one at The Palms. The spread is outrageous, complete with fresh fruits, belgian waffles, an omelette station and my girlfriend's favorite - fresh croissants paired with "the most delicious brie" she's ever had.

The pool area is clean and beautiful surrounded by palm trees, orchids, and beautiful / friendly parrots. The private beach is equally as nice with fresh towels, reclining chairs, umbrellas upon request.

If you have the opportunity to get a couple's massage in the spa, I also HIGHLY recommend it. Everyone at the entire resort was friendly and accommodating.

I especially want to thank Daniel S. at the front desk for checking up on us throughout our stay and for making sure everything was perfect.

Green Features: The entire resort is built with nature in mind which results in an environmentally friendly experience, but not the kind that seems like an excuse just to cut costs. They really care.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

First time staying here in Miami. Best parts were the breakfast buffet and location to beach Service and staff eager to please. Our room with king bed could use some sprucing up. Badly in need of better pillows too. Had to remind housekeeper to empty garbage and replace light bulb. Also called to fix door lock. It's all in the details. More attention should be given to room before next guest checks in.

• Stayed April 2014
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We truly appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to address our guests concerns and gain an invaluable guest perspective on ones experience. We appreciate your kind words regarding our helpful staff and pleased that you enjoyed breakfast buffet at Essensia. I was however, disappointed and taken aback to read about your guestroom experience. Guestroom functionality and cleanliness are top priority at The Palms hence our guestrooms are constantly being upgraded by way of our preventive maintenance program. I would love the opportunity to speak with you personally about this stay if you would kindly reach out to me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
Warm regards,
Alma Cue
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management
Vufflens-le-Chateau, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed there with my husband and 13 years old son. I made the reservation thru booking.com for 3 people and payed 395.- dollars plus taxe. It was our last night in Florida after a 2 weeks roud trip. We had the opportunity to sleep in many other middle class hotels and kept the best for the end. But We were very disappointed about our room witch was really small, especially the beds and just next to the elevator. The bathroom had no space to tidy our things for 3 people. 2 adults in one narrow bed for that price! I asked at the reception to change for having bigger beds, but nothing else was possible without paying a surcharge. We paied also 85.- dollars more for a late departure. I was really looking forward staying there, fortunately the breakfast having outside was great, but no pancakes, and the acces direct to the beautiful beach with beach chairs is great.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for being our recent guests at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We truly appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to address our guests concerns and gain an invaluable guest perspective on ones experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed having breakfast at Essensia terrace but regret your disappointment with your accommodations. We offer several different room types, sizes and locations throughout the hotel at all levels and price points, so that we can accommodate all of our guests unique preferences. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to find that perfect room for your next stay. Please contact me directly next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach and I’ll be happy to handle the details of your reservation.
Warm regards,
Alma Cue
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!