“Paradise is so close” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Paradise is so close”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I absolutely loved staying at this hotel. It was impeccable - everything was so perfectly done. The employees were happy and helpful, the rooms were clean, and the outdoor was gorgeous and exotic. Even at times where the experience could have gone south, like when we arrived EARLY for check in and our rooms weren't prepared, they gave us complimentary vouchers for wine while we waited. I loved how relaxed and calm the hotel staff was. They really looked like they enjoyed working there and that made ma very happy.

Slightly expensive drinks but there is a liquor store on the corner and the rooms are rather small for my taste but definitely comfortable.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have natural light but ask for the higher rooms for the best lighting. The elevato...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. I am delighted to read that you absolutely loved your stay! Much appreciation for your kind words regarding our property and happy and helpful employees. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and again!
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Visited miami beach to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday. Since I had never visited miami I had to do a lot of reseach to find a hotel that i liked and meet my requirement of price, food, short distance to beach, beach service, no pets, and with a tropical setting and feel. The Palm hotels has all this and more! The food at Essensia was fabulous especially the duck sliders, kale salad, local snapper, paella, bottom line try essensia the food and service was excellent. I can't remember the waiter name but he had table 61. His service as well as all the wait staff that we encountered provided outstanding service. We were impressed that the pictures on the website actually look like the property. The property is a small hotel unlike large chain
hotel but the palm hotel has made excellent use of space and you never feel crowded and it has all the amenities of a large hotel. The room was quite comfortable and the view fabulous. I woke one morning in time to see the sun rise. My brother in law and sister joined us at the hotel for a long weekend and he said the beds were very comfortable. Also I think it was a nice touch to have the state or country were the staff is from on there name badge. My husband speaks multiple languages and enjoyed speaking with the staff. The spa, concierge, wait, front desk and beach staff were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again!

r

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you so very much for your absolutely lovely review and for detailing every aspect of your guest experience with us at the Palms. I am thrilled to read that you found Essensia Restaurant fabulous! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again and again as our valued repeat guest. Please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance with future bookings as it would be my pleasure to assist you and look after your stays.
Stonington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Hotel experience was excellent. Hospitality was great from the moment of arrival.

Corner room was somewhat small but I was not planning on spending a lot of time there.

Pool area is terrific with a bar and cabana where you can order lunch or snacks. Want a change of scenery, the beach is just steps away. Located on the boardwalk so taking a long walk is definitely an opportunity for sightseeing. The sandy beach is not crowded and there is a great swimming area. Well protected. Lounge chairs available.

Note, when booking your room be sure that it is not located on the side of the hotel where there is construction going on. Can get noisy

Room Tip: As noted above, do not book a room on the side of the hotel where there is ongoing construction. St...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Matthew T,
Thank you for not only being our recent guest but also for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa! We appreciate your lovely comments regarding the great hospitality you experienced while being our guest and look forward to your return visit next time your travels bring you back to Miami Beach.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My fiancé and I just arrived at the Palms from NYC. The first room they gave us positively reeked of marijuana. After informing the receptionist of this, she assigned us a new room with the same problem. When we returned to the desk to inform her of the smell, she said she had learned it was just a new carpet cleaner and they'd been getting complaints, and she'd send someone up to fix it as all the other rooms were booked. This housekeeping person's solution was to douse the room in spray that smelled like the orange cleaner they use in the NYC subways. I figured we could open a window to air out the room but no, a sign on the windows says they do not open. Figures, because a lot of people would probably jump out.

Additionally, the room is TINY so the stenches hit you even harder. I would probably recommend not staying here if you expect a truly nice hotel experience. Your own closet would serve you just as well and not smell nearly as much like an orange-flavored joint.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I think this was our 5th stay at this hotel and we still love it.
First of all because of the perfect staff, beginning with Alma Cue, taking care of our reservation and getting us our preferred room. chief-bellman Gabriel Manzi, greeting us at arrivival like friends. And the staff all over the grounds, everybody helpful and friendly and know faces all over the years.

We also love the modern but cos rooms, not huge but perfectly designed.

Breakfast buffet is a great start into the day and the breakfast terrace is just wonderful.

The gardens are one of the nocest we know in Miami Beach, Tiki Bar serving drinks and food.

Location:
If you do not want to stay right in the middle of South Beach, this location is perfect for you. About 20 minutes walk or 5 minutes drive from Lincoln Road, its perfect for us. Close enough to walk, but far away enough from the noise.

So overall, this is the most perfect hotel in the area. Great location to have a relaxed beach vacation. 2 thumbs up for the entire Palms team!

Dear ViennaMichael,
What an absolute pleasure it was to have you back as one of our loyal and repeat Palms guests! Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our property and look forward to your 6th stay and assisting you with all your future reservations!
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was ready to give The Palms 1 star and review this hotel after one day here. I'm glad I waited until I am home to look back at the whole picture and give a more level headed review. It can be a great place to stay as the grounds are quite nice, the hotel clean, and is located on a quiet stretch of Miami Beach. Some of the service however ranges from fantastic, to completely inept.

I booked the Oceanfront Family Connecting Combo (1 King + 2 Double Beds) for 5 nights, Sunday through Friday. This was our first trip with our first child, a 3 month old and a babysitter, so admittedly, we had more needs than the typical traveler. We arrived at the hotel at 3:30pm, and even though technically checkin is at 4pm, we were surprised that the rooms weren't ready. One room was ready just before 4pm, but the other room was not ready until 5:45 pm. Terrible start when traveling with an infant. The rooms are small and having 4 person's luggage, a stroller, and (eventually) a crib crammed into one room waiting for 2 hours until we can finally set up is offputting and threw the baby's schedule off. Routines were missed and she was a mess all day, Day one was a waste of $1,000 in my opinion. We booked this combo so it would be easy on the baby and in turn easy on us to enjoy Miami. There was zero sense of urgency from the front desk. I repeatedly called and was told housekeeping was rushing to finish up, which was a generic lie because we were NEXT DOOR to a connecting room and could see and hear that there was no one inside cleaning when the front desk was telling us they were. It reminded me of when you order delivery from a restaurant and call to check in after an hour and they say "whats your name?" and before you can even tell them your name they say "oh, yeah its on its way, will be there soon."

When you book the connecting combo online it treats it as one room, and it was 878 plus fees a night, basically 1000. After two days of complaining about this late check in and other grievances we were offered 20% off the first night of only one of the rooms, so 20% of half my booking for one night- even though the booking was for $1000 as a combo, they only offered a discount on $500 of the $1000. I thought as we specifically had a need for a combo room and the "combo" wasn't ready that the least they could have done was take 20% off of one full combo night of $1000. The full combo was not ready and attributed to a wasted day and pretty terrible experience, but instead we only got 20% off half our booking, or essentially 10 percent off the full booking. I thought that was pretty poor and very "nickel and diming". Ive stayed at probably close to 100 hotels in my life and at least a half dozen in Miami and I never had to wait until almost 6pm to check in. Having it occur for the first time ever with a 3 month old after a whole day of travel was a nightmare.

Also, as the website mentions how family friendly the hotel is, we requested a crib in the room ahead of time and were told that it would not be a problem. When I checked in I mentioned this and they said it will be there. It was not in the room when we arrived and the crib only came after two phone calls and an hour wait.

Last issue was the turn down service. After the first night we told housekeeping please no turn down for the baby's room, turndown occurs when we are trying to put her down. Told the woman who came to the door AND called the housekeeping office to make sure they knew this was important. Well the next night sure enough they were banging on the baby's door, another call to housekeeping, and also to the manager and from that point on we got no turn down service in either room. Thats the better of the 3 possible outcomes, but is it that hard to turndown the parents room and not the baby's ? Guess so.

As I mentioned, the rooms are TINY, especially the king room, which is the corner room and ends in "-02". The bathroom counters are about a square foot on either side of the sink, and the closet is about 1 foot wide TOTAL, enough for my wife and I to hang 4 items each. The other room with two beds ending in "-04" had larger bathrooms, and were a little bigger.

NOISE- There is a lot of mention of construction noise. The family combo is on the north side of the hotel and farther away from construction so we generally did not hear any noise from inside the room. There is construction to the north but it is two properties away and not adjacent to the property as it is on the south. As far as outdoors, you will hear a lot of construction noise. We were here in March 2014, and the construction is months if not years from being complete. There is construction EVERYWHERE in Miami however. You will hear less noise at the beach than the pool, and even at the pool, you will get used to it. The music played is a nice blend of ambient, bossanova type music and stays away from the EDM rave scene you're bound to get a little further south. Eventually your focus is on the beautiful weather and beach and you can tone out the noise, but it requires a focus and willingness to let go- those easily annoyed may have a hard time with it. I'm not sure if staying on the south side of the property would be difficult to sleep in with the noise next door. Also from what I can tell, avoid rooms ending in "-07" as they are tucked away across from the elevator banks and I would imagine quite loud. The elevator is 4 feet from the front door.

OK now the good.
I thought the outdoor staff was phenomenal. I think his name was Jeff in the green shirt that runs the area, but he was on top of things. This is why want to go to Miami, to enjoy the outdoors, and as I mentioned, the music is good, its not too loud, and its not electronic cheese that you'll get at some places. We're in our late 30's by the way, we like to have some fun, but prefer a quieter pool scene, hence why we tried The Palms in the first place. The pool service was very good as well, and the food was not winning awards but was decent enough. If there was an issue, they would immediately offer a solution (one day the printer wasnt printing the orders to the kitchen and by the time they figured it out it took about 45 mins to an hour to get our lunch, we were quickly offered a free round of drinks).

Also The beach is very nice and rather isolated unlike farther south where it is one hotel and condo on top of another. I really like the more laid back setup of being on 30th and Collins both in the beach and pool and the clientele. You're close enough to anywhere you need to go in South Beach, but the "Jersey Shore" type nonsense stays away from you during the day for the most part. Even at the more upscale SoBe places like the Delano this is an issue, and we wanted to avoid this if we had a small child or not.

I will say the clientele was very diverse, all ages, from families with infants, small children, and/or teenagers to actual groups of spring break 20 somethings, to young couples, to fifty somethings, to elderly people. A quick survey of the pool and you would pretty much see equal parts Americans, Russians, Italians, Asians, Arabs, Spanish, Brazilian, German to name a few.

We did breakfast each day at the hotel, and the staff there was very good. We did the breakfast buffet, and while $24 isn't cheap, I would say its good value for what you get and the convenience. Happy hour at the bar offers some good drink and snack specials, we didn't eat dinner at the hotel however.

One thing I wish however was that there was no smoking allowed on the veranda area. It is a lovely place to sit and enjoy a drink, but a walk through there will generally have you covered in smoke. Obviously there's a lot of smokers so the probably has to cater to them, but its a shame that you have to walk through this cloud to get to and from the outside grounds.

The outside grounds are very well taken care of. Nice gardens to stroll through, traditional pool area, a few fuax-beaches if you want to stay in the property and enjoy the sand.

I wish they had a few more newspapers available as they were usually gone by early in the morning and you do technically pay for them. Also, this may have been a fluke but while we were there on at least 4 occasions throughout the week they had problems with the fire alarms. At one point it was a constant strobe of lights in the hotel for what almost an hour.

I think I would probably stay here even with the complaints because we really did enjoy the setup of the grounds and the vibe. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable, the showers nice and the bath products were great. The interiors were just very small. We were on the fifth floor and the view was nice, but I wouldnt want to be any lower. If the outdoor staff were like the front desk, I'd probably have stuck with my one star review, they really did make the trip worthwhile. Next time I would need to be assured that our family needs were all met in advance before staying here. But there are so many places to stay that next time I may decide to take my family elsewhere. Why risk it. Our first day here was miserable and it didn't need to be like that. That's just poor service and who wants to pay $1000 a night for that? I'm really not sure if I can recommend this place for families, as I said, its a very mixed review.

Lastly, and this really needs addressing- the hotel has the worst scam of a cancellation policy I have ever seen. When we booked it said "cancellable up until 7 days prior to arrival. first night deposit will be charged at time of booking. late cancellation or no shows is a forfeiture of full amount." AND THEN it says "First night deposit is non refundable under any circumstance". If that's the case then the reservation isnt really "cancellable", regardless of the order in which they list the facts. I feel like they do this to trick you by first listing that the reservation is cancellable up until 7 days prior. Having the bit about the first night being non refundable under any circumstance at the very end is deceiving and I only noticed this because when they sent a confirmation email, all of the sudden this is the FIRST thing listed on the cancellation policy. When I saw this I felt like it was their way of saying "GOTCHA! You didn't notice the bit at the end, and that's why we hid it there!" This seems deliberate and meant to trick people. If I have stayed at a hundred hotels in my life, I have had to book and cancel another 200 reservations, and this is kind of a contradiction saying in the first line its cancellable but then 3 lines later saying you wont get your first night back. If that's the case, its not REALLY cancellable. In hundreds of bookings, I've never seen the policy stated as such: first saying its cancellable, then 4 lines later saying you can get $1,000 back if you do in fact need to cancel. I will say that technically, in a legal sense, I should have read every single word and its my fault, but the fact that they decided to reverse the order of the language on your confirmation email does seem slimy and the very first thing they should say is "first night is non refundable once booked" on the page you click "reserve" before you book as well as in the final confirmation email. This should not be the last thing stated, every other hotel with that policy will list it first.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side (lower numbers)are farther from the construction. stay away from rooms endi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Caribcarib,
Thank you for your detailed and very thorough review of your recent stay with us. I appreciate the positive comments and highlights of your stay with regards to our friendly staff, beautiful grounds and guest amenities and offerings. Unfortunately, I regret to hear about the inconvenience you experienced while waiting for your second room to be ready. I’d like to clarify our cancellation policy. A first night’s room and tax deposit is due and payable at time of booking. Reservations over high demand dates (as was in your case) can be cancelled up until 7 days prior to arrival and the first night’s deposit will be retained. Late cancellation and No show penalty equals the full value of the reservation (incl. tax). Reservations over normal dates can be cancelled up until 3 days prior to arrival and the first night’s room and tax deposit is refundable less a $25.00 administration fee. Late cancellation and No show penalty equals the first night’s room and tax deposit. Exceptions are made in case of an emergency when the appropriate documentation is sent to the hotel. Thank you again for allowing us to address your concerns. We would love to welcome you and your family back next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach. Please contact me directly alma@thepalmshotel.com so I can handle the details of your reservation and ensure a flawless Palms stay!
The Palms Hotel & Spa
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The hotel room was spacious for my family of 4 and having a separate area for the toilet is helpful when travelling with the family. The hotel is lovely and feels like a resort rather than simply a hotel room. The pool area is gorgeous (we loved the hammocks) and the outdoor breakfast buffet was delicious with omelettes and waffles made fresh to order. Will definitely stay here again.

Dear ontariogirl41
Thank you for being our recent guest at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your lovely comments regarding our comfortable rooms, gorgeous pool area and delicious breakfast in Essensia. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon!
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!