“Smells like pot and orange peels” 1 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase $180
Ranked #54 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Smells like pot and orange peels”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My fiancé and I just arrived at the Palms from NYC. The first room they gave us positively reeked of marijuana. After informing the receptionist of this, she assigned us a new room with the same problem. When we returned to the desk to inform her of the smell, she said she had learned it was just a new carpet cleaner and they'd been getting complaints, and she'd send someone up to fix it as all the other rooms were booked. This housekeeping person's solution was to douse the room in spray that smelled like the orange cleaner they use in the NYC subways. I figured we could open a window to air out the room but no, a sign on the windows says they do not open. Figures, because a lot of people would probably jump out.

Additionally, the room is TINY so the stenches hit you even harder. I would probably recommend not staying here if you expect a truly nice hotel experience. Your own closet would serve you just as well and not smell nearly as much like an orange-flavored joint.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I think this was our 5th stay at this hotel and we still love it.
First of all because of the perfect staff, beginning with Alma Cue, taking care of our reservation and getting us our preferred room. chief-bellman Gabriel Manzi, greeting us at arrivival like friends. And the staff all over the grounds, everybody helpful and friendly and know faces all over the years.

We also love the modern but cos rooms, not huge but perfectly designed.

Breakfast buffet is a great start into the day and the breakfast terrace is just wonderful.

The gardens are one of the nocest we know in Miami Beach, Tiki Bar serving drinks and food.

Location:
If you do not want to stay right in the middle of South Beach, this location is perfect for you. About 20 minutes walk or 5 minutes drive from Lincoln Road, its perfect for us. Close enough to walk, but far away enough from the noise.

So overall, this is the most perfect hotel in the area. Great location to have a relaxed beach vacation. 2 thumbs up for the entire Palms team!

• Stayed March 2014
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear ViennaMichael,
What an absolute pleasure it was to have you back as one of our loyal and repeat Palms guests! Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our property and look forward to your 6th stay and assisting you with all your future reservations!
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was ready to give The Palms 1 star and review this hotel after one day here. I'm glad I waited until I am home to look back at the whole picture and give a more level headed review. It can be a great place to stay as the grounds are quite nice, the hotel clean, and is located on a quiet stretch of Miami Beach. Some of the service however ranges from fantastic, to completely inept.

I booked the Oceanfront Family Connecting Combo (1 King + 2 Double Beds) for 5 nights, Sunday through Friday. This was our first trip with our first child, a 3 month old and a babysitter, so admittedly, we had more needs than the typical traveler. We arrived at the hotel at 3:30pm, and even though technically checkin is at 4pm, we were surprised that the rooms weren't ready. One room was ready just before 4pm, but the other room was not ready until 5:45 pm. Terrible start when traveling with an infant. The rooms are small and having 4 person's luggage, a stroller, and (eventually) a crib crammed into one room waiting for 2 hours until we can finally set up is offputting and threw the baby's schedule off. Routines were missed and she was a mess all day, Day one was a waste of $1,000 in my opinion. We booked this combo so it would be easy on the baby and in turn easy on us to enjoy Miami. There was zero sense of urgency from the front desk. I repeatedly called and was told housekeeping was rushing to finish up, which was a generic lie because we were NEXT DOOR to a connecting room and could see and hear that there was no one inside cleaning when the front desk was telling us they were. It reminded me of when you order delivery from a restaurant and call to check in after an hour and they say "whats your name?" and before you can even tell them your name they say "oh, yeah its on its way, will be there soon."

When you book the connecting combo online it treats it as one room, and it was 878 plus fees a night, basically 1000. After two days of complaining about this late check in and other grievances we were offered 20% off the first night of only one of the rooms, so 20% of half my booking for one night- even though the booking was for $1000 as a combo, they only offered a discount on $500 of the $1000. I thought as we specifically had a need for a combo room and the "combo" wasn't ready that the least they could have done was take 20% off of one full combo night of $1000. The full combo was not ready and attributed to a wasted day and pretty terrible experience, but instead we only got 20% off half our booking, or essentially 10 percent off the full booking. I thought that was pretty poor and very "nickel and diming". Ive stayed at probably close to 100 hotels in my life and at least a half dozen in Miami and I never had to wait until almost 6pm to check in. Having it occur for the first time ever with a 3 month old after a whole day of travel was a nightmare.

Also, as the website mentions how family friendly the hotel is, we requested a crib in the room ahead of time and were told that it would not be a problem. When I checked in I mentioned this and they said it will be there. It was not in the room when we arrived and the crib only came after two phone calls and an hour wait.

Last issue was the turn down service. After the first night we told housekeeping please no turn down for the baby's room, turndown occurs when we are trying to put her down. Told the woman who came to the door AND called the housekeeping office to make sure they knew this was important. Well the next night sure enough they were banging on the baby's door, another call to housekeeping, and also to the manager and from that point on we got no turn down service in either room. Thats the better of the 3 possible outcomes, but is it that hard to turndown the parents room and not the baby's ? Guess so.

As I mentioned, the rooms are TINY, especially the king room, which is the corner room and ends in "-02". The bathroom counters are about a square foot on either side of the sink, and the closet is about 1 foot wide TOTAL, enough for my wife and I to hang 4 items each. The other room with two beds ending in "-04" had larger bathrooms, and were a little bigger.

NOISE- There is a lot of mention of construction noise. The family combo is on the north side of the hotel and farther away from construction so we generally did not hear any noise from inside the room. There is construction to the north but it is two properties away and not adjacent to the property as it is on the south. As far as outdoors, you will hear a lot of construction noise. We were here in March 2014, and the construction is months if not years from being complete. There is construction EVERYWHERE in Miami however. You will hear less noise at the beach than the pool, and even at the pool, you will get used to it. The music played is a nice blend of ambient, bossanova type music and stays away from the EDM rave scene you're bound to get a little further south. Eventually your focus is on the beautiful weather and beach and you can tone out the noise, but it requires a focus and willingness to let go- those easily annoyed may have a hard time with it. I'm not sure if staying on the south side of the property would be difficult to sleep in with the noise next door. Also from what I can tell, avoid rooms ending in "-07" as they are tucked away across from the elevator banks and I would imagine quite loud. The elevator is 4 feet from the front door.

OK now the good.
I thought the outdoor staff was phenomenal. I think his name was Jeff in the green shirt that runs the area, but he was on top of things. This is why want to go to Miami, to enjoy the outdoors, and as I mentioned, the music is good, its not too loud, and its not electronic cheese that you'll get at some places. We're in our late 30's by the way, we like to have some fun, but prefer a quieter pool scene, hence why we tried The Palms in the first place. The pool service was very good as well, and the food was not winning awards but was decent enough. If there was an issue, they would immediately offer a solution (one day the printer wasnt printing the orders to the kitchen and by the time they figured it out it took about 45 mins to an hour to get our lunch, we were quickly offered a free round of drinks).

Also The beach is very nice and rather isolated unlike farther south where it is one hotel and condo on top of another. I really like the more laid back setup of being on 30th and Collins both in the beach and pool and the clientele. You're close enough to anywhere you need to go in South Beach, but the "Jersey Shore" type nonsense stays away from you during the day for the most part. Even at the more upscale SoBe places like the Delano this is an issue, and we wanted to avoid this if we had a small child or not.

I will say the clientele was very diverse, all ages, from families with infants, small children, and/or teenagers to actual groups of spring break 20 somethings, to young couples, to fifty somethings, to elderly people. A quick survey of the pool and you would pretty much see equal parts Americans, Russians, Italians, Asians, Arabs, Spanish, Brazilian, German to name a few.

We did breakfast each day at the hotel, and the staff there was very good. We did the breakfast buffet, and while $24 isn't cheap, I would say its good value for what you get and the convenience. Happy hour at the bar offers some good drink and snack specials, we didn't eat dinner at the hotel however.

One thing I wish however was that there was no smoking allowed on the veranda area. It is a lovely place to sit and enjoy a drink, but a walk through there will generally have you covered in smoke. Obviously there's a lot of smokers so the probably has to cater to them, but its a shame that you have to walk through this cloud to get to and from the outside grounds.

The outside grounds are very well taken care of. Nice gardens to stroll through, traditional pool area, a few fuax-beaches if you want to stay in the property and enjoy the sand.

I wish they had a few more newspapers available as they were usually gone by early in the morning and you do technically pay for them. Also, this may have been a fluke but while we were there on at least 4 occasions throughout the week they had problems with the fire alarms. At one point it was a constant strobe of lights in the hotel for what almost an hour.

I think I would probably stay here even with the complaints because we really did enjoy the setup of the grounds and the vibe. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable, the showers nice and the bath products were great. The interiors were just very small. We were on the fifth floor and the view was nice, but I wouldnt want to be any lower. If the outdoor staff were like the front desk, I'd probably have stuck with my one star review, they really did make the trip worthwhile. Next time I would need to be assured that our family needs were all met in advance before staying here. But there are so many places to stay that next time I may decide to take my family elsewhere. Why risk it. Our first day here was miserable and it didn't need to be like that. That's just poor service and who wants to pay $1000 a night for that? I'm really not sure if I can recommend this place for families, as I said, its a very mixed review.

Lastly, and this really needs addressing- the hotel has the worst scam of a cancellation policy I have ever seen. When we booked it said "cancellable up until 7 days prior to arrival. first night deposit will be charged at time of booking. late cancellation or no shows is a forfeiture of full amount." AND THEN it says "First night deposit is non refundable under any circumstance". If that's the case then the reservation isnt really "cancellable", regardless of the order in which they list the facts. I feel like they do this to trick you by first listing that the reservation is cancellable up until 7 days prior. Having the bit about the first night being non refundable under any circumstance at the very end is deceiving and I only noticed this because when they sent a confirmation email, all of the sudden this is the FIRST thing listed on the cancellation policy. When I saw this I felt like it was their way of saying "GOTCHA! You didn't notice the bit at the end, and that's why we hid it there!" This seems deliberate and meant to trick people. If I have stayed at a hundred hotels in my life, I have had to book and cancel another 200 reservations, and this is kind of a contradiction saying in the first line its cancellable but then 3 lines later saying you wont get your first night back. If that's the case, its not REALLY cancellable. In hundreds of bookings, I've never seen the policy stated as such: first saying its cancellable, then 4 lines later saying you can get $1,000 back if you do in fact need to cancel. I will say that technically, in a legal sense, I should have read every single word and its my fault, but the fact that they decided to reverse the order of the language on your confirmation email does seem slimy and the very first thing they should say is "first night is non refundable once booked" on the page you click "reserve" before you book as well as in the final confirmation email. This should not be the last thing stated, every other hotel with that policy will list it first.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side (lower numbers)are farther from the construction. stay away from rooms endi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Caribcarib,
Thank you for your detailed and very thorough review of your recent stay with us. I appreciate the positive comments and highlights of your stay with regards to our friendly staff, beautiful grounds and guest amenities and offerings. Unfortunately, I regret to hear about the inconvenience you experienced while waiting for your second room to be ready. I’d like to clarify our cancellation policy. A first night’s room and tax deposit is due and payable at time of booking. Reservations over high demand dates (as was in your case) can be cancelled up until 7 days prior to arrival and the first night’s deposit will be retained. Late cancellation and No show penalty equals the full value of the reservation (incl. tax). Reservations over normal dates can be cancelled up until 3 days prior to arrival and the first night’s room and tax deposit is refundable less a $25.00 administration fee. Late cancellation and No show penalty equals the first night’s room and tax deposit. Exceptions are made in case of an emergency when the appropriate documentation is sent to the hotel. Thank you again for allowing us to address your concerns. We would love to welcome you and your family back next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach. Please contact me directly alma@thepalmshotel.com so I can handle the details of your reservation and ensure a flawless Palms stay!
The Palms Hotel & Spa
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The hotel room was spacious for my family of 4 and having a separate area for the toilet is helpful when travelling with the family. The hotel is lovely and feels like a resort rather than simply a hotel room. The pool area is gorgeous (we loved the hammocks) and the outdoor breakfast buffet was delicious with omelettes and waffles made fresh to order. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear ontariogirl41
Thank you for being our recent guest at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your lovely comments regarding our comfortable rooms, gorgeous pool area and delicious breakfast in Essensia. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I like to think I'm a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to hotels I've always enjoyed staying in five-star the or four-star hotels when I'm with my family.
I've never seen a more disorganized staff at the front desk then at this hotel. Booking here because of their reviews I anticipated high expectations that they did not live up to.
Also when booking they Luer me with promise they don't keep.
When I explained to the manager that I would write a poor review on trip advisor they couldn't care to rectify the issues also promised to call me back never did so Poor poor guest service. Afternoon manager was on Sunday March 16/14 also the pool and I will post a picture was disgustingly dirty
This is a hotel that takes pride in cleanliness take a look at this I would let my own children swim in this pool. Huge disappointment for the money I will stay at the Lowe's
Next time I visit Miami

Stayed March 2014
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Truefitt,
I am truly disappointed to read thru your comments and hear that you did not enjoy your experience. We take guest feedback very seriously and wanted to inform you that the manager did leave a voicemail in your room and also called your mobile phone but the voicemail was not set up to receive messages. In any case every guest should depart the Palms with an overall sense of satisfaction, enjoyment and general feeling that their stay and expectations were exceeded in every way possible and that the value they received was of great significance to warrant their loyalty and repeat business. I sincerely apologize this was not your experience. We certainly do take pride in cleanliness from our front entrance, guestrooms, lobby, to the gardens, pool, restaurant, and back of the house. I would love the opportunity to discuss your booking and stay further if you would kindly email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Our experience at the Palms was like this: Awesome from the minute we walked in - to the minute we walked out! ** The stand-outs at the Palms are the service and the relaxing atmosphere. **
We arrived on 3/2 and just wanted to relax, soak in the sun and the beach for a couple of days. We stayed at the Fontainebleau twice before, but wanted something different. The Fontainebleau is big, and busy all the time. While it is an impeccable place, there's too much buzz and I don't really feel like I'm on vacation with people in office suits and people in bathing suits mixing by the pool. The service at the FB can be pretentious too.
The Palms is smaller, totally calm, and more of a tropical paradise with much better service and you really feel at home. There was a nice mix of people staying there, with the exception of the partying teens (except for us! - not really - we're in our 40's and we like to have fun, but we're falling asleep at 10). There were people from all over the world (same with the staff), and it was a nice touch that all of the staff have name-tags with their home country. It is definitely a nice place for families, but it’s not like there were kids climbing all over the place at all. There's no swing-sets, and the families we ran into were mostly with babies, well-behaved kids, or young teenagers with their parents, etc. Young couples, old couples, and families can all feel at home together here.
Some points:
Room:
We had an ocean-front room on the 6th floor. It was a beautiful view, rooms aren't huge, but clean, modern, and the cleaning staff kept things nice. They came and went invisibly, and did as much or as little as we wanted without issue. There's no smoking inside the hotel, but there are areas outside and I didn't see any issues either way.
Lobby / general:
Valets were great, Lobby was very nice- Again, this isn't the Fontainebleau with "big and grand", but rather more like walikng into a fancy hotel in Jamaica with palm plants and a nice front & back porch to sit on and have a glass of wine. We brought drinks from the beach to the porch to the room and it wasn't like there was an abundance of rules or anything. It was like as long as you don't disrupt anyone else's time there, you're on vacation and should be able to feel at home and it breeds a sense of courtesy for everybody. We didn't see an unhappy guest the whole time. The staff communicate with each other via radios and you always feel like they are there to help. I never hesitated to ask for something and they never batted an eye about dropping what they were doing to help. (yes we lost our room keys one night - they just verified who I was and made us new ones.... left our towels somewhere, spilled coffee in the lobby .. mistakenly moved things in the mini-bar... they always just did their due-diligence when they had to and helped fix any issue without a fuss and basically kept us happy even when it was something we screwed up).
Beach / Pool-
The pool isn't huge but big enough. Pool and beach were impeccably clean and the beach staff takes care of anything you need - lounges, umbrellas, tables, food, drink.. I saw some reviews that complained about birds by the pool. Yes there were little birds in the trees by the pool and they occasionally came down to say hello, but what do you want in paradise? Its not like they were crocodiles - they were cute. They weren't an issue to anyone while we were there.
I also saw reviews talk about the construction noise. I have to think we were there at the height of that. Read this: Miami Beach is one giant construction zone right now. You can't get away from that anywhere here so either tune it out (very easy to do) or go to an island somewhere. The Palms pipes in a really nice music. It’s not any specific kind of music but a good neutral background music that anybody could deal with. I actually liked it because - hell - it felt like vacation music, but not the some repeating boom-boom or reggae all day. Nice job on the background music.
Outside Food:
Ok I'm giving a glowing review of this place but I have to put constructive criticism in where its needed. The Tiki bar food was good - open from like 10-6pm. (yes we spent a lot of time between the beach and the pool and the tiki-bar- honestly that's all we wanted once we got settled. We didn't want to leave and ended up staying at the hotel except for one dinner trip and a shopping trip). We had the Mahi-Mahi sandwiches a few times, burgers, shrimp cocktails, salads and they were all great. Our first day we were complaining about the fries being soggy, but -hey- all we had to do was ask and every time after we just asked them to burn the crap out of the fries and they made them nice and crunchy exactly like we asked. It was amazing how fast, and hot the food comes out to the bar and the beach. The grilled shrimp addition to the salads was good- they should offer those on a skewer as a dish. They obviously are doing something very right with the food service.
The Essensia restaurant was a little disappointing. The ambiance was perfect- sitting on the porch outside was so comfortable, but maybe we got them on an off-day. We got a chicken dish with some kind of butternut squash and beet puree that wasn't good and a mahi-mahi dish that was cold. The fish dish was halfway tasty, but it was almost like they over-thought the dishes into some creation that missed the boat for us. We are into fancy food and went to a steak house one night for dinner and never got back to the Essensia for dinner after the first day. I would back up the menu with a few more solid choices - rather than all overly-involved culinary specialties that miss the mark. It was the only thing we both agreed could have been better in the resort.
Breakfast buffet was perfect, bit expensive at $60 for two, but the service was impeccable, perfect atmosphere on the porch, and food was abundant and high quality. They do a lot to use fresh-fresh everything and I still think it was worth it.
Spa- yes - the spa is everything you would want it to be and the stone massage was incredible. We were on the fence about getting a spa treatment, but a nice lady named Yoli came by the pool one day and gave us hand massages and chatted about the spa, so we said why not. Yoli was the reason we went and made a reservation and I liked the way they marketed the spa in that subtle way

In summary- It was a perfect vacation for us, every other guest we talked to had a great time. The staff was amazing and it was the friendliest place we've ever been to. It’s not a place to worry about anything, it’s not a place to nickel-and-dime everything - (they're not out to $zing you at every corner) but it’s also a high end resort and prepare to drop a few $ on your stay. It will be well-worth it if you have any ability in your bones to actually relax. We especially acknowledge some staff we thought were awesome, Fernando, Jorge, Sara, at the Tiki Bar and the nice lady in the gift-shop, .... and pretty much everybody there was deserving of a thank you. When guests are literally hugging staff on their way out, you know they are not only doing their job but they do care. It was a small enough place where the staff does get to know you and you're desires, and they actually did whatever they could to make our vacation as nice as it could be.
We'll be back.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with an oceanfront room on the high floors
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear nickandLes,
Thank you so very much for your absolutely lovely review and for detailing every aspect of your guest experience with us at the Palms. I am elated to hear that you found our hotel to be a tropical paradise and much appreciation for your sincerity and kind words for members of our dedicated team who helped make your stay truly memorable. I have personally thanked Yoli, Fernando, Jorge, Sara and Pauline in the gift shop for their outstanding commitment to excellence! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again and again as our valued repeat guest. Please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance with future bookings as it would be my pleasure to assist you and look after your stays.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I recently stayed at the Palms and was treated extremely well from arrival to departure. Daniel at the front desk was very helpful and was able to upgrade the room to ocean view, The food was good, drinks pricey as with most of the area, the beach was nice with a friendly staff. If you are looking for a quieter hotel without a lot of kids running around this works

Room Tip: ask Daniel at the front desk the ocean views are nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!