“Ruined our vacation” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bayside, New York
“Ruined our vacation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This hotel ruined our first family vacation we have a 6 month old and this was our first trip together as a family, it was my husbands birthday and I'm sorry to say it ruined his birthday.this hotel was extremely uncomfortable if you are traveling with a baby. Our room was very tight could barely get the stroller through their very narrow room hallway. The bathroom was dirty and had a shelf that was slanted and everything we put on it would slide off into the toilet. Disgusting! The toilet wasnt working properly it kept getting clogged. The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. When we went to the reception to express our concerns at first they told us there was nothing they could do, after a few more complaints the guy at the front desk told us to take a look at a different room, so we did and it was better then our when we went back downstairs to tell him we would take that room instead we were told that room was no longer available. Are you kidding me?! Why would you show me if its not available!! We asked to talk to the manager and he approached the situation in a rude manner. He told us there was nothing he could do and sent us on our way. Terrible customer service!!!!
The pool and lounge chairs were very dirty there always nasty birds/ pigeons swimming in the pool and the reason why there's so many birds everywhere is because they never clean up, theres food left unattended everywhere for hours. Terrible service terrible experience would never stay there again!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Dom D,
I am truly disappointed to hear about the inconveniences you encountered during your recent visit. Clearly we fell short of your expectations and delivering genuine, attentive service and follow thru which you should have received. I do appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention, however, I sincerely regret that we were unable to resolve and act accordingly to these while you were still in house. We have reviewed your comments together as a team extensively and will use these as an integral enhancement towards our training efforts. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to continue to improve upon our guest services and genuine hospitality deliverance. I would love to speak with you directly so that we may hopefully have the chance to regain your loyalty and patronage as a valued Palms guest once again, if you would be so kind as to contact me at your convenience (alma@thepalmshotel.com)

975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Polish first
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. All staff was attentive and helpful. Overall service A+. The facilities are very nice, the pool is quiet and relaxing. Love the hammocks behind the pool. If we are back in Miami we will defiantly consider going back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear marie2000
Thank you for being our recent guest at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your lovely comments regarding our property and our attentive and helpful staff. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hammocks and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Miami Beach.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you have been to most of the hotels in Miami beach and want one that has an excellent restaurant within a boutique hotel atmosphere situated right on the beach....you don't have to go anywhere else. It is not over the top but it is a very good hotel and I would recommend it. I was pleasantly surprised as I usually stay at other hotels in Miami (reviewed previously on trip advisor) but this time my coordinator put me here as she felt this would be a great location for my meetings as most were going to be held in-house and she felt the restaurant and its patio would be a good place to conduct my one on one meetings. I have to say she was right. Size of the room was on the larger side, check-in was flawless, wake up was on time and very pleasant, room service didn't miss a beat, public space was very well maintained and different (as in a lot of Palm shapes and green colours) as the name suggests. Breakfast was included in the price of the room which was surprising and it was a very good hot and cold buffet with an omelette station. Again, I have to commend the restaurant crew and the Chef. Wifi was no trouble and the pool and beach area were very well maintained and service was consistent. I would recommend it if you are looking for a 4+ star hotel on Miami beach. Now for the restaurant...what a great surprise...my first meal was a lunch as I had just come in from a number of meetings offsite and ordered the albacore tuna sandwich at Essensia....I know it was a tuna sandwich but I have to say it was one of the best Tuna sandwiches I have had. I then really looked at the menu and had all my dinner meetings and lunch meetings there for the next three days. I soon found out that the Chef (Julie Frans) and the Essensia’s culinary team cook in a ‘natural gourmet’ fashion with all their dishes being globally inspired, really healthy but also very flavorful. Great dinner options...over the course of three nights my guests and I ordered most of the seafood items on the menu.....seriously, they were all very well done and presented. I have spoken about this restaurant to so many locals and tourist now. The only challenge we had was that there is/was construction right beside them of a new hotel/condo and the construction noise starts by 7 am. Please call and see where they are now in the construction. It wasn't a bother for me as I was up before then but to some others it might be a challenge.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean view room. It is worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear SavvyTraveler738,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for experiencing one of your ‘best tuna sandwich’ with us at Essensia. We appreciate the time you took to share your Palms experience and are absolutely thrilled to hear that the seafood items were all ‘very well done and presented’, as we strive for perfection with each and every dish prepared. We hope to welcome you back next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach for another perfect stay and delectable food!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Palms is a great place to get away. The staff is super friendly, the tropical birds are awesome and the beach is right in fornt of the hotel. We had an amazing time and definately plan on going back. The gardens are peaceful and relaxing on the hammocks was by far one of the highlights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Great property. Not too small, not too big. Acted like a large resort with small feel. Nice cabanas, great beach, great pool. Great dining and staff was all good too. No issues. Valet got a workout and was good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Dave S,
Thank you for being our recent guest and taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your kind words regarding our property and look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another perfect stay!
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed at the Palms in October of 2013 for a conference. So many things went badly; the saving grace was the banquet staff, they were awesome.

Since I had a conference in a couple of hours I started to get dressed for it then heard a loud crash. The very large, very heavy mirror fell off the wall (see pictures) in the powder room. This was particularly nerve racking as I had just been in that bathroom, I am a very fortunate person to have missed being cut to shreds in one of the executive level suites If this was the best, I really don’t want to see the worst.

I did not get a chance to freshen up before the meeting as I was still trying to convince maintenance that not just a piece of the mirror, but the entire mirror had fallen. They kept saying “Oh it’s just a mirror”, very frustrating. Finally they sent someone up, a maid, no gloves, and no kind of protective gear at all. We actually stopped her from picking up glass because I had no desire to see this poor woman bleeding profusely.

I wanted to speak with the General Manager but apparently, even though he was on the property, he was way too busy to speak with me. To his credit he offered to comp my room and that of another executive.

Later in the evening, after an extremely unsettling afternoon I felt as though finally I could relax. Wrong. Went to take that nice relaxing shower (while keeping one eye on the mirror) and guess what? It was broken, no hot water. Great, forget it, I just want to get this day over with and go to sleep.

As I am lying in my bed I see the largest roach I have ever seen run across the room. It actually tried to run under something but was TOO BIG. I had to trap and kill the thing otherwise I knew I would not get any sleep that night. I was told “oh yeah, we have water bugs, this is a tropical setting”. I know a water bug from a roach, and that was a roach. So now I really can’t sleep because I think mirrors are going to jump off the wall, or I will have to fight with roaches, pardon, water bugs for the rest of the night.

The next day my husband and I woke up with about a dozen mosquito bites each over our entire body. We did not leave the hotel; my husband did not leave the room so apparently on top of everything else the room was infested with mosquitos. Nightmare. After that I called my contact at EPIC in downtown Miami and asked for a room. That was a good decision. I finally got a good night’s sleep for the first time in about 36 hours. The EPIC is AMAZING. Nothing was a bother.

To be fair, I was approached several times the next day by the staff, not the general manager, asking if everything was ok. The damage was done and it made no sense to complain about it. If almost being killed by a mirror did not prompt an urgent response, bugs definitely would not. I got out of that hotel as soon as I could.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear WindyCityChicago,
I would like to express my sincerest apologies and regrets for the experiences you encountered while being our guest. Guestroom functionality and cleanliness are top priority and we take every observation and guest feedback seriously and use it as a means to continually improve. We strive to have each and every guest depart the Palms with an overall sense of satisfaction, enjoyment and general feeling that their stay and expectations were exceeded in every way possible and that the value they received was of great significance to warrant their loyalty and repeat business. I sincerely apologize this was not your experience. We would like to reassure you that the negative experiences that you describe are completely atypical to a standard stay at The Palms and sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back as our valued guest for a quieter stay so that you may experience The Palms in its true light.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights following a week in Orlando.

Smooth check in, we paid extra for an ocean view and it was defiantly worth it! The view was amazing.

Rooms are modern, compact but with lovely contemporary furnishings.

Breakfast was delicious, lots of choice although very busy with the occasional wait of 10-15 minutes for a table and unless you wanted to wait 10 minutes for a pancake/waffle/omelette buffet was excellent.

Pool small but clean. Waiters fairly attentive. Beach great and on the doorstep.

We went whilst the construction was happening next door, we weren't info need of this but found out before we went via tripadvisor, hotel offered us a full refund but we made the decision to stay anyway, so won't complain about the disruption.

We'd definitely visit this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!