“A great option on the beach! Wonderful views and food!” 4 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase $224
Ranked #53 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“A great option on the beach! Wonderful views and food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you have been to most of the hotels in Miami beach and want one that has an excellent restaurant within a boutique hotel atmosphere situated right on the beach....you don't have to go anywhere else. It is not over the top but it is a very good hotel and I would recommend it. I was pleasantly surprised as I usually stay at other hotels in Miami (reviewed previously on trip advisor) but this time my coordinator put me here as she felt this would be a great location for my meetings as most were going to be held in-house and she felt the restaurant and its patio would be a good place to conduct my one on one meetings. I have to say she was right. Size of the room was on the larger side, check-in was flawless, wake up was on time and very pleasant, room service didn't miss a beat, public space was very well maintained and different (as in a lot of Palm shapes and green colours) as the name suggests. Breakfast was included in the price of the room which was surprising and it was a very good hot and cold buffet with an omelette station. Again, I have to commend the restaurant crew and the Chef. Wifi was no trouble and the pool and beach area were very well maintained and service was consistent. I would recommend it if you are looking for a 4+ star hotel on Miami beach. Now for the restaurant...what a great surprise...my first meal was a lunch as I had just come in from a number of meetings offsite and ordered the albacore tuna sandwich at Essensia....I know it was a tuna sandwich but I have to say it was one of the best Tuna sandwiches I have had. I then really looked at the menu and had all my dinner meetings and lunch meetings there for the next three days. I soon found out that the Chef (Julie Frans) and the Essensia’s culinary team cook in a ‘natural gourmet’ fashion with all their dishes being globally inspired, really healthy but also very flavorful. Great dinner options...over the course of three nights my guests and I ordered most of the seafood items on the menu.....seriously, they were all very well done and presented. I have spoken about this restaurant to so many locals and tourist now. The only challenge we had was that there is/was construction right beside them of a new hotel/condo and the construction noise starts by 7 am. Please call and see where they are now in the construction. It wasn't a bother for me as I was up before then but to some others it might be a challenge.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean view room. It is worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear SavvyTraveler738,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for experiencing one of your ‘best tuna sandwich’ with us at Essensia. We appreciate the time you took to share your Palms experience and are absolutely thrilled to hear that the seafood items were all ‘very well done and presented’, as we strive for perfection with each and every dish prepared. We hope to welcome you back next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach for another perfect stay and delectable food!

1,052 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Palms is a great place to get away. The staff is super friendly, the tropical birds are awesome and the beach is right in fornt of the hotel. We had an amazing time and definately plan on going back. The gardens are peaceful and relaxing on the hammocks was by far one of the highlights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Great property. Not too small, not too big. Acted like a large resort with small feel. Nice cabanas, great beach, great pool. Great dining and staff was all good too. No issues. Valet got a workout and was good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Dave S,
Thank you for being our recent guest and taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your kind words regarding our property and look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another perfect stay!
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed at the Palms in October of 2013 for a conference. So many things went badly; the saving grace was the banquet staff, they were awesome.

Since I had a conference in a couple of hours I started to get dressed for it then heard a loud crash. The very large, very heavy mirror fell off the wall (see pictures) in the powder room. This was particularly nerve racking as I had just been in that bathroom, I am a very fortunate person to have missed being cut to shreds in one of the executive level suites If this was the best, I really don’t want to see the worst.

I did not get a chance to freshen up before the meeting as I was still trying to convince maintenance that not just a piece of the mirror, but the entire mirror had fallen. They kept saying “Oh it’s just a mirror”, very frustrating. Finally they sent someone up, a maid, no gloves, and no kind of protective gear at all. We actually stopped her from picking up glass because I had no desire to see this poor woman bleeding profusely.

I wanted to speak with the General Manager but apparently, even though he was on the property, he was way too busy to speak with me. To his credit he offered to comp my room and that of another executive.

Later in the evening, after an extremely unsettling afternoon I felt as though finally I could relax. Wrong. Went to take that nice relaxing shower (while keeping one eye on the mirror) and guess what? It was broken, no hot water. Great, forget it, I just want to get this day over with and go to sleep.

As I am lying in my bed I see the largest roach I have ever seen run across the room. It actually tried to run under something but was TOO BIG. I had to trap and kill the thing otherwise I knew I would not get any sleep that night. I was told “oh yeah, we have water bugs, this is a tropical setting”. I know a water bug from a roach, and that was a roach. So now I really can’t sleep because I think mirrors are going to jump off the wall, or I will have to fight with roaches, pardon, water bugs for the rest of the night.

The next day my husband and I woke up with about a dozen mosquito bites each over our entire body. We did not leave the hotel; my husband did not leave the room so apparently on top of everything else the room was infested with mosquitos. Nightmare. After that I called my contact at EPIC in downtown Miami and asked for a room. That was a good decision. I finally got a good night’s sleep for the first time in about 36 hours. The EPIC is AMAZING. Nothing was a bother.

To be fair, I was approached several times the next day by the staff, not the general manager, asking if everything was ok. The damage was done and it made no sense to complain about it. If almost being killed by a mirror did not prompt an urgent response, bugs definitely would not. I got out of that hotel as soon as I could.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear WindyCityChicago,
I would like to express my sincerest apologies and regrets for the experiences you encountered while being our guest. Guestroom functionality and cleanliness are top priority and we take every observation and guest feedback seriously and use it as a means to continually improve. We strive to have each and every guest depart the Palms with an overall sense of satisfaction, enjoyment and general feeling that their stay and expectations were exceeded in every way possible and that the value they received was of great significance to warrant their loyalty and repeat business. I sincerely apologize this was not your experience. We would like to reassure you that the negative experiences that you describe are completely atypical to a standard stay at The Palms and sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back as our valued guest for a quieter stay so that you may experience The Palms in its true light.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights following a week in Orlando.

Smooth check in, we paid extra for an ocean view and it was defiantly worth it! The view was amazing.

Rooms are modern, compact but with lovely contemporary furnishings.

Breakfast was delicious, lots of choice although very busy with the occasional wait of 10-15 minutes for a table and unless you wanted to wait 10 minutes for a pancake/waffle/omelette buffet was excellent.

Pool small but clean. Waiters fairly attentive. Beach great and on the doorstep.

We went whilst the construction was happening next door, we weren't info need of this but found out before we went via tripadvisor, hotel offered us a full refund but we made the decision to stay anyway, so won't complain about the disruption.

We'd definitely visit this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Palms is a beautiful oasis just north of all the hustle and bustle. Easy to get to nightlife and restaurants but crowds are not right by the door which we like. Very nice beach with service and a beautiful pool and gardens.

Many reviewers are commenting on construction and there is certainly a lot of it in the area. Projects look like they will be going on for quite a while yet.

There are two things that stop me fr giving this hotel 5 stars. One is the lack of a balcony. Beautiful ocean views but no way to step out and take in the ocean air. The most irritating thing, however, is the smoking. The hotel seems to attract a lot of smokers and they congregate right by the front door. They also seem to completely take over a lovely veranda outside the bar rendering that area useless to those who do not want to be around smoke.

Staff is friendly and attentive and food and drink are very good. Excellent mojitos!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for taking the time to share with us your recent experience. I am elated to hear that you found our hotel to be a beautiful ‘oasis’ amidst the Miami Beach scene and appreciate your lovely comments regarding our friendly and attentive staff. I understand the desire for a balcony, as you come to Miami Beach not only for our hotel but for the stunning views of our tropical oasis and aquamarine waters, and we do offer balcony rooms and suites on our penthouse floor. Next time your travels bring you back please contact me directly at alma@thepalmshotel.com so that I may handle the details of your reservation.
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights last week of Dec 2013. Since the room we got was prepaid, I had given the Front Desk my AMEX for ALL the extras. We had made reservation at their Essensia restuarant weeks in advance for the New Years Eve for 4 adults and 3 children.Two days after our arrival we were asked to come down to the restaurant to sign a preauthorization for AMEX charges for about $860 for dinner charges for New Years Eve Dinner which we did. Upon our arrival at 9:15PM our table was not ready and the 3 restaurant managers were arguing among themselves about where we were to sit?! Finally the made a makeshift table by pushing 3 small tables together to sit us down. The adult menu was sold as 5 course meal and the children's menu was chicken tenders and french fries?! The food was at best average for the kind of money we were paying and the service was poor. I ended up paying over $1100 for this dinner which included $150 in service charge for our hurried and lousy service. We had to ask for water and bread basket and the waiter forgot to fill our champagne glasses prior to mid-night!

There was confusion between the front desk and the valet on what should be the parking fee for our visiting guests and we were very annoyed when they would not release our guest's car until the ticket was stamped when I had prepaid the ticket in advance by personally going to the front desk.

On our 4th day, we smelled a strong foul odor coming from the bathroom which we reported to the management. The Manager stated it could be due to the air filter needing to be changed and while offering us to move to another room, suggested we stay put until they change the filter!

Upon check out, I found over $250 in charges which did not belong to us, including daily charges related to mini bar, so I conclude they pad their bills- BE WARE!

I give their pool and beach facility and its staff high marks for being attentive to the needs of their guests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Joe A,
Thank you for being our recent guests and taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am truly disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your experience at the restaurant on New Year’s Eve. We take your comments very seriously and try to learn from them. Please rest assured that we care deeply about everyone that comes thru our doors and strive to provide a memorable experience for all of our guests. Your satisfaction is of utmost importance and would love the opportunity to personally discuss your stay. Please contact me at your convenience alma@thepalmshotel.com to further discuss.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!