“A fantastic vacation” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Louisville, Kentucky
“A fantastic vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

What a wonderful stay. The staff were super friendly and accommodating; my family arrived early and our room was quickly cleaned and prepared for us while we waited over a fantastic lunch on the deck. Beautiful beach view by walking out to the boardwalk. Overall I wouldn't change anything about the experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa and for being our recent guests. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed lunch at Essensia and much appreciation for your kind words regarding our property and friendly staff. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach.
The Palms Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Charleston SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The Palms is one of those places you really want to love but it falls just short of expectations on too many little things to make it great. On the positive side it has a nice lobby and reception area, very competent pool and spa, and terrific access to the beach. But our experience was not very good from the start. We arrived around 1 PM and were told our room wasn't ready. The desk clerk said he'd call me as soon as it was so we went to the poolside bar to wait. By 3:30 when no one called (and our bartender had checked with the desk twice) I went back inside to the complain and was told the room had been ready since 2. No explanation as to why we weren't notified.
The room itself was OK with a nice ocean view, but the configuration was a little odd--the entry corridor bisected the bathroom so the shower and one sink were on one side of the hall, and the toilet and another sink on the other side. The window curtain was stuck and never was fixed during out stay. Minor point, but reflective of the experience.
The location is North Beach. This was my first time in Miami Beach so I didn't realize North Beach is isolated from the action and shopping areas of South Beach and Lincoln Ave. There is absolutely nothing near the hotel--no restaurants, bars, stores--nothing within walking distance. So if you want to do anything outside the hotel, it means getting a cab or driving.
Finally the nickel-and-diming: You don't come to Miami Beach and expect to find a bargain, and the Palms will not disappoint you in this regard. But the drive to generate profit by adding little charges reaches new heights at this place. Think $7 for the bottle of water placed in the room , Parking fees of $35, a daily $15 "resort fee" (my least favorite surcharge of all time) and an automatically-charging mini bar with a hair trigger. On that last point, we never even opened the door to the bar but charges showed up on our bill. The clerk said the bar must have sensed movement in the room and misinterpreted that as use of the bar. Not sure I buy that, and it doesn't explain why I was also charged for the $7 water which we never used.
Finally the on site restaurants and bars: Don't expect a bargain. Typical charge for 2 top-shelf martinis (tip automatically included): $35. Servers were nice. We didn't use the restaurant but the prices were eye-popping even for Miami Beach.

Honestly, I really wanted to like this place but by the end of our second day I was really, really ready to go. Good thing I scrutinized my bill before leaving and had them remove all the inappropriate charges or my rating would be even lower.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I appreciate the positive comments and highlights of your stay with regards to our beautiful grounds and friendly staff. Just to clarify, our hotel is perfectly situated on the tranquil northern end of South Beach, just minutes from all the energetic and happening attractions South Beach has to offer. Unfortunately, I regret to hear that you did not find value to your overall stay. We sincerely value our guests feedback and therefore continually review our pricing levels and have found to be competitively priced and in line with other local luxury Miami Beach and South Beach properties. As a matter of fact our parking fee is less than most hotels in our competitive set. I wish parking was more plentiful in this area but as you might have experienced this is not the case. Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. Hopefully we may have the pleasure of being able to welcome you back once again for another stay and more memorable Palms experience. Please contact me directly (alma@thepalmshotel.com) for any future reservations or assistance you may need.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I arrived very early 6:30 AM Monday morning for the Art Basel week in Miami. Asked if my room was ready and was told that I could have a double. I asked for a room with a king and was told that none was available.. Ok I thought, but I'm here for a week and probably earlier than anyone else coming for the fair. I wondered how it was decided since the Turon travel sight didn't distinguish between King and double and that's the main booking sight for the fair. So be it I'll take the double. Oh but there's an EARLY CHECK IN FEE, huh!!! I said you mean the room is empty, and obviously has been overnight and will remain empty until later when I will be "allowed" to check in without a fee. Correct alien Suarez, the night manager, said, but you won't allow me to have it now without a fee? Correct. Will you wave the fee? No response. Is the restaurant open? No not until 7. Ok, we're not off to a great start.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Douglas M,
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest during Art Basel. Thank you for reaching out to us directly and allowing us to address your concerns in person while staying with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back for Art Basel 2014!
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Everything was great from the room to the staff to the grounds. The only problem was that 2 nights in a row (out of 3), my foot/leg got bit several times while sleeping in the bed. Besides that, i have major complaints. Great and friendly staff!! Although for breakfast, there is the tasty buffet which also included a guy making omelets and waffles (although the time waiting for these waffles or omelet's was pretty long, since it takes a few minutes just to make one, and usually people in line in front of you).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ted B,
Thank you for being our recent guests at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your lovely comments regarding our friendly staff and beautiful grounds. Please contact me directly (alma@thepalmshotel.com) the next time your travels bring you back to Miami Beach as I would be pleased to assist you with your reservations.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days for a conference - weather wasn't great so didn't get to use the pool or beach but the stay was still good. I was warned about the noise nearby as a number of the close properties are being renovated. The noise was noticeable but not too bad. The room was clean - a little on the small side - and the service was generally good. Location for the hotel is ok, beach looked good. Food in the hotel was reasonable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear GMac36,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa and taking the time to review our hotel. I sure hope next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach, it is sunny and beautiful, as it is most of the time, so that you’ll get to enjoy our exotic tropical gardens, our white sandy beaches and crystalline waters. If you wish to do so, please contact me directly alma@thepalmshotel.com and I’ll be happy to handle the details of your reservation.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

My stay at the Palms was nothing short of a treat. World class hospitality and amenities went right alongside the luxurious accomodations. Remy, in guest services, left upon me a lasting impression. She was one of the most professional, courteous, and caring persons I have EVER encountered. When I return to The Palms, it will be a pleasure to hopefully have her handle the particulars of my stay. Rudy was also extremely kind, polite, and helpful. I will soon be booking my next stay here.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear MrLandry,
What a pleasure to have had you as our recent guest and thank you for taking the time to share with us your Palms experiences! We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our luxurious accommodations and your sincerity and kind words for members of our dedicated team who helped make your stay truly memorable. I have personally thanked Remy and Rudy for their outstanding commitment to excellence! Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back for another perfect Palms experience.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Palms with my wife for two nights this week. The weather wasn't great, but that wasn't the hotel's fault. From Erwin the Reservations Manager, through to all the staff in the hotel and spa, everyone was a pleasure to deal with. The room was a tad small, but the view made up for it - we stayed in an oceanfront king room on the seventh floor, with an unobstructed view of the beach and ocean. The bathrooms were a little weird - two separate rooms, one with a toilet and sink, and another across from it with a shower and sink. They also had some spots that were a little dirty, but nothing terrible.

The pool area was nice and clean, with a very attentive staff presence. The spa was also very good - we each got massages and enjoyed the entire experience there.

The negative is, of course, the constitution going on on both sides of the hotel. During the day it is impossible to avoid the noise, and it is quite noisy. In the room, itself, it isn't that bad, but you constantly hear the beeping of backing up trucks. Outside at the pool, and even on the beach near the hotel, it is very noisy.

The only negative about the hotel I would point to is they weren't very helpful with a request for late checkout. Checkout is 11AM, and they allow you to stay until Noon with no charge. After that, they basically charge $50 per hour of extra time. Maybe the hotel was booked full and they needed the room, or maybe this is standard practice. But I'd have thought they could have been a little more accommodating.

All in all, we enjoyed out time at the hotel and would go back. The price could not be beaten for what we got. Tip: email or call the hotel directly to get their best price - they offered me a price better than anything else I saw online, even than what they listed on their own website.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear naft2717,
Thank you for being our recent guests at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your lovely comments regarding our attentive and outstanding team members. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We try our best to accommodate late check-outs; however, during certain times of the year this is not always possible, but I do regret any inconvenience this might have caused you. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your massages and we look forward to welcoming you back next time that your travels bring you to Miami Beach.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!