“What a way to check in” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3025 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #52 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“What a way to check in”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I arrived very early 6:30 AM Monday morning for the Art Basel week in Miami. Asked if my room was ready and was told that I could have a double. I asked for a room with a king and was told that none was available.. Ok I thought, but I'm here for a week and probably earlier than anyone else coming for the fair. I wondered how it was decided since the Turon travel sight didn't distinguish between King and double and that's the main booking sight for the fair. So be it I'll take the double. Oh but there's an EARLY CHECK IN FEE, huh!!! I said you mean the room is empty, and obviously has been overnight and will remain empty until later when I will be "allowed" to check in without a fee. Correct alien Suarez, the night manager, said, but you won't allow me to have it now without a fee? Correct. Will you wave the fee? No response. Is the restaurant open? No not until 7. Ok, we're not off to a great start.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Douglas M,
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest during Art Basel. Thank you for reaching out to us directly and allowing us to address your concerns in person while staying with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back for Art Basel 2014!
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Everything was great from the room to the staff to the grounds. The only problem was that 2 nights in a row (out of 3), my foot/leg got bit several times while sleeping in the bed. Besides that, i have major complaints. Great and friendly staff!! Although for breakfast, there is the tasty buffet which also included a guy making omelets and waffles (although the time waiting for these waffles or omelet's was pretty long, since it takes a few minutes just to make one, and usually people in line in front of you).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Ted B,
Thank you for being our recent guests at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your lovely comments regarding our friendly staff and beautiful grounds. Please contact me directly (alma@thepalmshotel.com) the next time your travels bring you back to Miami Beach as I would be pleased to assist you with your reservations.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days for a conference - weather wasn't great so didn't get to use the pool or beach but the stay was still good. I was warned about the noise nearby as a number of the close properties are being renovated. The noise was noticeable but not too bad. The room was clean - a little on the small side - and the service was generally good. Location for the hotel is ok, beach looked good. Food in the hotel was reasonable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear GMac36,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa and taking the time to review our hotel. I sure hope next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach, it is sunny and beautiful, as it is most of the time, so that you’ll get to enjoy our exotic tropical gardens, our white sandy beaches and crystalline waters. If you wish to do so, please contact me directly alma@thepalmshotel.com and I’ll be happy to handle the details of your reservation.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

My stay at the Palms was nothing short of a treat. World class hospitality and amenities went right alongside the luxurious accomodations. Remy, in guest services, left upon me a lasting impression. She was one of the most professional, courteous, and caring persons I have EVER encountered. When I return to The Palms, it will be a pleasure to hopefully have her handle the particulars of my stay. Rudy was also extremely kind, polite, and helpful. I will soon be booking my next stay here.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear MrLandry,
What a pleasure to have had you as our recent guest and thank you for taking the time to share with us your Palms experiences! We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our luxurious accommodations and your sincerity and kind words for members of our dedicated team who helped make your stay truly memorable. I have personally thanked Remy and Rudy for their outstanding commitment to excellence! Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back for another perfect Palms experience.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Palms with my wife for two nights this week. The weather wasn't great, but that wasn't the hotel's fault. From Erwin the Reservations Manager, through to all the staff in the hotel and spa, everyone was a pleasure to deal with. The room was a tad small, but the view made up for it - we stayed in an oceanfront king room on the seventh floor, with an unobstructed view of the beach and ocean. The bathrooms were a little weird - two separate rooms, one with a toilet and sink, and another across from it with a shower and sink. They also had some spots that were a little dirty, but nothing terrible.

The pool area was nice and clean, with a very attentive staff presence. The spa was also very good - we each got massages and enjoyed the entire experience there.

The negative is, of course, the constitution going on on both sides of the hotel. During the day it is impossible to avoid the noise, and it is quite noisy. In the room, itself, it isn't that bad, but you constantly hear the beeping of backing up trucks. Outside at the pool, and even on the beach near the hotel, it is very noisy.

The only negative about the hotel I would point to is they weren't very helpful with a request for late checkout. Checkout is 11AM, and they allow you to stay until Noon with no charge. After that, they basically charge $50 per hour of extra time. Maybe the hotel was booked full and they needed the room, or maybe this is standard practice. But I'd have thought they could have been a little more accommodating.

All in all, we enjoyed out time at the hotel and would go back. The price could not be beaten for what we got. Tip: email or call the hotel directly to get their best price - they offered me a price better than anything else I saw online, even than what they listed on their own website.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear naft2717,
Thank you for being our recent guests at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your lovely comments regarding our attentive and outstanding team members. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We try our best to accommodate late check-outs; however, during certain times of the year this is not always possible, but I do regret any inconvenience this might have caused you. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your massages and we look forward to welcoming you back next time that your travels bring you to Miami Beach.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel is just fine, on the beach, in Miami Beach, walking distance from South Beach, etc. Relatively fair value for money. I got assistance from the concierge to send back stuff I bought over the internet. That's all I have to say on the positive side about the hotel.
To my surprise, despite having let them know in advance that I was going to receive packages bought over the internet, I found out on checking out that the hotel charges US$ 5 per package for 'handling'. Moreover, I was also charged (no receipt was issued despite having asked for it) additional US$ 5 per piece of left-luggage per day.
To be fair again, I was informed upon inquiry that the charge for valet-parking was US$ 35 per day. Nevertheless the fact that the the extra charge for parking was more expensive than the car rental itself, supports my feeling that this hotel can be classified as anything but 'all-inclusive'. Enjoy the hotel while the use of the elevator is still free of extra charges ;-)

Room Tip: I neither used the SPA nor had breakfast so I just said 'average'
Green Features: About average for the towel management. A highlight: A clever toilet allow people to wash their hands right after flushing the toilet. That water, I think, refills the toilet tank to be used on the next flush.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear JR10vuelve,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. I apologize for the inconvenience and regret that you were not informed about our package handling fee. We value your feedback; without it we would not be able to address certain areas of opportunity and look towards improvement in the future. In reviewing our fees including our parking fees we have found to be competitively priced and in line with other local luxury Miami Beach and South Beach properties. As a matter of fact, our parking fee is less than most hotels in our competitive set. I wish parking was more plentiful in this area. Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. We do hope next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach to welcome you back and provide you with the warm hospitality and excellent service The Palms is known for!
bensalem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Bartender always smiling and helpful.
Quick car service at valet
Beautiful grounds
Elevator on Mezzine poor.. Took steps all week
Hospitality / maid service needs poor
Good location
Needs more entertainment

• Stayed November 2013

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!