“Late Check-Out Trolls and Sweaty Bricklayers” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Troy, Michigan
“Late Check-Out Trolls and Sweaty Bricklayers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

After purchasing several nights at this property through the American Express Membership Rewards site, I must say that I was extremely disappointed with The Palms. We paid for a "City View Room," but were placed into a room from which we could literally only see loud and sweaty construction workers. Until the construction next to this property is completed (probably late 2014) I would absolutely not recommend any of the "City View" rooms. I complained about this fact and the AGM was quick to point out that the presence of construction was specifically disclosed in the "fine print." Where this language was disclosed is really beyond me.

Also, you definitely need to watch out for the "Check Out Trolls." The management of the hotel seems to take pleasure in charging all guests a $120 fee if they happen to leave their bags in their room past the 11AM check-out. For anyone with kids on vacation, you'd probably agree that strict adherence or observance of an 11AM check-out is nearly impossible. The management did not seem to care that my daughter was sick, but finally, after much haggling with the AGM, he gave me the "discounted" late check-out of $50. Ridiculous.

Room Tip: Do not ever accept a "City View" room on the south side of the property---you will have a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Blake1220,
Thank you for choosing The Palms Hotel & Spa for your two night stay in Miami Beach. I sincerely regret to hear of your disappointment. Had we known you were not pleased with your room or that you needed additional time to care for your daughter we would have certainly accommodated you. We are focused on making all of our guest experiences truly memorable and I apologize if you did not get that impression. Your satisfaction is of our utmost importance and should your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, we would love the opportunity to make it up to you.
The Palms Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Polish first
Delhi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I just arrived at this hotel and I have a 3-night stay here. The receptionist informed me that I'll need to a wait a bit for my room as its still getting ready and I have the option to move into another room with a not-so-great-view. I preferred waiting. But little did I know that it would be a full 2 hours before my room would be ready. So there I am, waiting in the lobby of the hotel for 2 hours and I realize that its going to be a hopeless case if I continue to wait for them to call me to let me know about the room. So I chose to go to the receptionist myself (for the 3rd time) to inquire.

Sure enough, after 2 hours - the keys are handed over and I hope that the view of the room is well worth the wait. But its not. It's just facing the wall of another building and I am wondering what was the fuss about telling that the room has a good view.

Hoping that the next couple of days spent here are not as bad.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Pratikg,
It is a pleasure to have you as our guest and thank you for choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa! Just to clarify, our check in time is 4:00 p.m. but I’m glad we were able to have your room ready by 2:00p.m. If there is anything that we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact me at extension 5477 or please contact our front desk any time after office hours.
The Palms Hotel & Spa
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Got married here and I believe that it's a jewel in the rough. From the moment we inquired about our event the staff were kind and helpful. (Thanks to Michelle Cannici and Paul.) It's been years since we received this level of service and attention from a hotel. It's not often one finds traditional service within modern settings. The staff answered all our questions and made us feel like royalty at every moment. So I tip my hat to The Palms Hotel & Spa to let you know whenever we travel to Miami we will come to you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Congratulations on your recent nuptials! Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our property and helpful staff. I’ll definitely thank Michelle and Paul on your behalf! We look forward to welcoming you back and providing the backdrop to future celebrations and unforgettable memories!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I'll be honest to start and say i wasnt massively impressed by Miami and found a lot of the people very rude...especially taxi drivers. But this was not the case at the Palms. The room was lovely large and clean. Even had a set of scales in the bathroom...very Miami. the hotel interior was beautiful and bar, restaurant and pool lovely. As the title says there was building work and drilling in the hotel next door but the noise didnt really bother us. there was lovely music around the pool at the hotel which was soothing. theres a gate at the back of the hotel which goes onto the beach and you need your room key to get back in.

I would say the drinks and food are expensive but to be honest miami is a pricey place so its pretty typical of the area. when you do get a drink or meal though theres lots of it and the food is just beautiful.

Staff were great very friendly and couldnt do enough for us.

We didnt use the spa or gym so cant really comment but would recommend this hotel if you want to stay in the area.

Just a tip though, it is on the top end so attractions such as ocean drive are a bit of a walk. taxi's down there were less than 10 dollars though so we tended to do that.

Dear HeatherC,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We appreciate your kind words regarding our property and service but regret you don’t feel the same about the rest of our beautiful city. We do hope you return to Miami and when you do you will stay with us again so that we can welcome you back to our tropical gardens and crystalline waters with genuine service and warm hospitality!
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

After a stay in Conrad Miami and some days in Los Cabos, finally we went to the final of our trip: Miami Beach, at The Palms Hotel.

We had, before, very pleasant experiences as the other hotels were really nice. And expect to have also a great time at the last hotel of our trip. But we hadn’t.

About the hotel:

- Reception:

The reception is very simple with a staff a little bit instable, as you have some members that are very pleasant and others that are not so friendly. One important issue is that is an old hotel. And does not have some normal structure of others hotels, like a ramp for your luggage when you arrive at the hotel: they just have stairs at the reception.

When I checked in, I had a package from Amazon.com that was delivered one day before my arrival. They charge for receiving any package in U$ 5,00 per package.

- Swimming pool and Beach:

The swimming pool of the hotel is very small and not compatible with so many rooms and guests. But, during our stay (03 days) the guests really don’t use swimming pool in a way that it became crowd.

The beach of this part of Miami is a normal one. Nothing really different that I would define it as a beautiful one. In fact, is a normal beach (not beautiful), with some rocks.

There is a beach service, but I did not use it.

The towels for the swimming pool and beach are ridiculous. Old and very poor.

- The restaurants:

We had breakfast all days. Really disappointed. Very simple with jus a few variety. As is a beach hotel, I would expect more fruits or juices, but they do not have it.

- The room:

We got a upgrade for the oceanview room when we arrived. So, we did not stayed at the standard room. And even with the upgrade the room is really, really small. For those who go to Miami to buy, is something terrible, as it won’t have a lot of space in the room.

The bathroom is divided in 02 parts. Although is very small. Impossible to be used by a couple on the same time. This in the upgraded room (I can’t imagine the standard room)

The hotel says it’s a oceanview room. But I did not see the ocean, as it showed on the photo attached. So, do not believe that you will receive a oceanVIEW when they tell you that you got an upgrade.

- The WORSE experience:

When we checked out, I told to all staff members that I had one order from Amazon.com that did not arrived on time, before my check-out. So, they guaranteed that they would refuse it when UPS tried to delivered it. But they didn’t.

As I tracked the package by UPS site, the hotel received the item (more than U$ 50,00), not refusing any delivered. Really disgusting to noticed that the hotel staff decided to receive an item that they knew it was from a guest that already check-out. And this ridiculous act after they guaranteed me (and said that register it on their system) that would refuse the delivered.

I had to paid the package (and discover that someone from the hotel got my U$ 50,00 item) as they did not refuse the deliver. What a shame!!!

So, BE VERY CAREFUL with reception information’s. And it’s good to know that they do not honor their promises.

Dear Mineirim,
I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback. On behalf of The Palms Hotel & Spa, we sincerely regret any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. We value your opinion and have taken the appropriate measures with our team to ensure this does not happen again. Just to clarify, our $5.00 package handling fee which most hotels do charge also includes the storage of the package. There are some mailing companies that just drop off packages at the hotel without requesting a signature and in such cases as soon as we verify that the guest is no longer staying with us we immediately return the package.
None the less, I do understand your concerns and would like the opportunity to address them with you directly. Please contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com so that I may personally speak with you regarding this matter and hopefully we can restore your confidence in our hotel. If your travels ever bring you back to Miami Beach, it would be a pleasure to welcome you with genuine service and laid-back sophistication at out serene and renovated oceanfront resort.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I found this hotel online when heading to Miami on business. What a pleasant surprise! My breakfast at the hotel restaurant was included and I stayed on the deck for an extended period of time enjoying the environment checking my email on my ipad enjoying my coffee. We are renovating our kitchen and the ceiling on the veranda deck is now being incorporated into our design. My room was on the eighth floor overlooking the ocean and pool. It was an amazing view from my room and the photo I took of the sunrise is now my FB cover photo! Service was fantastic and I would definitely stay there again and in fact my trip unexpectedly had me stay longer so I re booked at the Palms. On my recent honeymoon we stayed at the Ritz Kapalua and I have to say the Palms was just about as good!

Room Tip: Ocean view on the on the 8th floor is a must!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your most recent stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa. I am glad you had a pleasant time and appreciate your kind words regarding our fantastic service! We look forward to welcoming you back for many more relaxing stays surrounded by our tropical gardens, crystalline waters, and warm hospitality!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I was impressed by the beautiful beach front room my cousin and I got. It was a great and relaxing enviroment for girls weekend. My husband has a great experience with the staff booking our stay over the phone. Pablo at the spa was super helpful and schedule an amazing hour of massage and relaxation. The sunrise and sunset were expectacular at this not crowded beach, it felt private. A few weddings going on gave it a little romantic touch. The food is pricy. Would like a little more warmth at when welcoming guests. Not much to do within walking distance. Tons of construction therefore not safe for a walk. Otherwise, highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Palms Hotel & Spa. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed one of our massages aimed to restore peace and harmony to the mind and body by combining Ayurvedic knowledge, aroma and healing touch in our relaxed setting, our AVEDA spa! We hope to welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Miami Beach.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!