“Noisy! Huge construction next door! Plus they lie about it!” 1 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase $224
Ranked #53 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hinsdale
“Noisy! Huge construction next door! Plus they lie about it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last year and it was incredibly noisy as very close next door is a huge construction site. Impossible to rest by the pool and noisy even at the beach. No matter where you are at or near the hotel you hear it. When we were planning the trip this year I called to ask if the construction is still going on next door. The lady at front desk said" it is all done and you will have a peaceful stay". So we booked a week and guess what? The construction was no where close to being done!!! It was extremely loud there again. What is worst: they lied about it!
We clearly don't like the extremely loud construction noise, so we would have never stayed here again if we knew the truth!

• Stayed April 2013
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
I am sorry to hear of this unfortunate experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We regret the inconvenience and understand your concerns. On our website and in all of the booking engines we have a notice informing guests that intermittent disturbances may be encountered due to refurbishment of neighboring property. Please know that your satisfaction is priority at The Palms and I would like to see if we could discuss this matter further. Please email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to your response.

1,036 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed at the palms at the end of July with 2 girlfriends. We where looking for somewhere close to the action of South Beach with a pool and beach nearby - we weren't disappointed.. We shared a room with 2 double beds which was cosy with 3 of us plus suitcases, but the rooms where really nice and great shower with separate toilet (and plenty of mirrors which is a must when 3 girls are getting ready to go out!). We dined in the hotel restaurant the first night - food was really nice, all organic and locally sourced, although a little on the expensive side - $125 for 3 mains and 3 glasses of wine.. to be expected though i guess..
We didn't use the gym but it looked fully stocked equipment wise and was always pretty empty.
Breakfast was included in our stay and a really great way to start the day - really big range of breakfast items including an omelette / waffle station which was always really popular. South Beach is about a $10 taxi ride and quite an experience on a saturday night! we also went to the Lincoln road strip which we preferred - a bit more family orientated and less in your face.. On the rainy day we went to Aventura mall which is absolutely huge and probably should be avoided on the weekend if you don't like crowds - cost about $35 to get there.. probably should have looked at going on the bus i think..
The beach is right across the boardwalk - there is gated access to the property (sometimes locked and you need to have your room key to get back in). There are sun loungers and umbrellas on the beach for hotel residents, but you need to get down there quick in the morning to get a spot.. also the pool bar does service on the beach too which is nice.. Our flight was at 9pm in the evening so we asked for a check out at 12.30 (no extra charge) and spent the day by the pool, you can pay $20 for access to the Aveda showers etc to freshen up before your trip home - shame that they don't have an amenity room that you can use for free. All in all a great stay in a really nice hotel - would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Palms, beautful location! Essencia, the restaurant was amazing! The menu is not huge, but you can tell the chef enjoys their work!! We all got different dishes and sampled each others! The lobby is great, friendly staff, rooms are very nice! The Aveda spa was great! Had a 50 minute massage and eye brow waxing, staff was SUPER friendly and accoomodating! Pool area is gorgeous and realxing the food poolside is even yummy! Will be back again!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel. The beach is one of the best in Miami. Very close to boardwalk which you can use to get to some fab resturants. Enjoyed our stay. Only complaint no balcony but the beach is so close you can just walk to it. Beautiful grounds.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

To give you an idea of what type of vacationer I am (along with my friend): we are 21 & 22 years old and like to visit places with nice beaches. We aren't big party goers and we don't stay up late.

With that said, the Palms hotel was right on the beach, however has a little walkway with a gate to get there, I don't think any of the hotels have the sand directly as their backyard. All of the lounge chairs on the sand were free for hotel guests and for those who don't wish to come home tan: umbrellas are also there to keep you cool. They do the beverage and bar food service on the beach as well so that is really nice, but don't expect a quick delivery, even if you're sitting at the bar at the hotel... The food did seem very fresh so I'm sure that's why it took a little long, but generally it was fine. Waiting always seems harder in 90 degree humidity anyway.

As far as the location to the nightlife it's about 15-25 streets away from the heart of everything (2 miles). Walking isn't really that bad but we ended up getting a rental car just for convenience on the last day.

The staff at the Palms were mixed. One day the valet / doorman watched as we struggled up the stairs with our big bags with no offer to help, while other days the valet guys would open both doors at once just to let us in. Wasn't consistent, but not really anything to ruin my stay. Matias at the bar/lounge was very friendly at night and the dark haired waitress with glasses at the Essencia Restaurant was extremely good at her job.

Our first night we tried to get in bed around 10pm. Our neighbors however were blasting club music on their (provided) iHome which we could hear CLEARLY through our walls. We may as well have been in the room with them. We decided to call the front desk and they were very friendly about taking care of it and sent a security guy who politely asked them to keep it down. That was nice. We had quiet neighbors for the rest of our stay except for the last night. Must be some sort of bachelorette party because these girls were cackling in their rooms from 1030pm til 1245am until they left. Came back at 4am and apparently continued the party. I'm not going to be the guest who calls security multiple times on their stay, but man did I want to. The walls here, and maybe it's just these two rooms, are paper thin. I am able to sleep through plane noise, traffic, etc. and consider myself a regular sleeper, not a light sleeper, but it kept me up the entire time.

For this reason alone I would not stay in this hotel again. We just wanted to sleep! Sadly, this was just poor construction of the hotel and not the hotel employees fault.

Positives and negatives of the trip:
+ nice, clean rooms
+ house keeping turns down bed with chocolate
+ separate room for toilet and shower (was nice to have two sinks)
- no jacuzzi
+ friendly/helpful front desk
+ 20% off at restaurant
+\- construction next door: didn't actually phase us at all. Sort of just part of the background noise while we were outside, not bothersome and I don't think anyone was really annoyed by it
+ gym has iPod dock
+ pool open 24 hours
- employees all speak Spanish and are often hard to understand, keep in mind I'm from southern CA and we have plenty of Spanish speakers but trying to tell the valet I wanted overnight parking was a task.
- small portions at restaurant for big price, but yummy nonetheless
+ iHome in the room
- ironing board broken/falling apart in our room
+ nice view from room
+ free Keurig coffee maker in the room

One last thing: don't be fooled by the driveway and lobby, honestly it doesn't do the rest of the hotel justice. When we walked in we both were kind of like "oh..." And were a little disappointed because it is not as "fancy" as you'd expect. But the rooms are beautiful and pretty much everything else is really nice. The landscaping is nice in the pool area etc.

Would I recommend this to a friend? Only if that friend is a night owl and doesn't have to worry about loud neighbors. I'm not sure how a family would do in this setting but there did seem to be a good amount of families here, especially around the pool.

• Stayed July 2013
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa and for your detailed feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our property, rooms, and friendly staff but regret the inconvenience you have experienced. Please know that your satisfaction is priority at The Palms and I would like to see if we could discuss this matter further. Please email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just recently, we traveled to Miami for a seven day getaway. The end of our trip was due to sync up with Memorial Day weekend. I had heard in certain circles that South Beach was where we wanted to be. There are shops, clubs and lots of action. We didn't really want a whole lot of "action". In fact we deliberately chose to stay just near enough to walk or drive to the "action" but far enough away to relax.
We chose the Palms Hotel and Spa in Miami Beach primarily because its considered a 4+ star hotel on most hotel sites and had a reasonable per room rate on Priceline considering we were booking a week before our stay and during a holiday weekend. I was pleased with the price of the trip plus car rental, so off we went.
This hotel is the place you want to come to relax, enjoy the beach and a serene, tropical atmosphere. The entire hotel has a spa feel and the staff is wonderful. I must say a few words about the hotel staff. I don't know much about running a hotel but if I owned one, I'd run it exactly like the Palms. The staff comes across trained, competent, guest-focused, polite with genuine smiles. This hotel is worth the additional money you may pay for food, per day parking and beach amenities. Every dollar was worth it for our room and the way we were treated - like one would treat a guest.
There are lovely places within the hotel to sit and relax. The Cafe Del Mar type music that they have piped in throughout the hotel grounds really sets an ambient relaxing atmosphere. You almost forget you're in the United States, primarily because there are people from all over the world as guests and staff composition.
I highly recommend the Palms Hotel and Spa!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. What a pleasure to have had you as our guests and much appreciation for your sincerity and lovely comments in regards to our ambiance, property, but most importantly your appreciation for our Staff! I sincerely believe that our employees are one of our greatest assets and they are one of the pillars that make The Palms such a special place. We will share your review with our entire staff at our next hotel meeting and look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travels bring you to Miami Beach.
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I used the spa/pool here on our honeymoon and booked massages here because they were participating in spa month, which several hotels/spas in Miami participate in during July/August where you can get discounted services at $99. Regardless of the fact that the going rate for an hour deep tissue massage is $80, we were traveling and didn't know where else to go to get massages. I'm a massage therapist myself, so I might be a little more particular than most, but I've worked in spa and clinical settings so I know what good service and quality bodywork is. I chose this place because they're an Aveda spa and I love the way aveda products smell, and the pool/beach access for the day included in the price seemed like a good deal to me.
My husband was happy with his massage, he got more of a deep tissue/hot rocks/sports type massage with a cute blonde girl so he was stoked. I'm pregnant and had to pay extra for mine, which I thought was ridiculous because I never charged extra just for having to use different pillows/bolsters when I did massage, but whatever, I was desperate. The massage therapist was really abrupt in the way she touched me, and used really rapid movements and seemed to just be covering me in oil, rather than specifically targeting the muscles. If this was supposed to be a swedish massage... then the whole thing was petrissage- there was very little effleurage and if it was it would be the worst ever because it was really fast, abrupt and not calming at all. It was still nice to get my body totally covered in oil and rubbed down, but it was more like "rubbing" than a massage or "bodywork".
The timing was also really bad. Our sessions were booked for 2pm, and I know that an hour massage is actually a "professional hour" which includes a 5 minute intake in the beginning and 5 minutes at the end to get dressed and leave the room, we started at 2:05 and the time on the clock at the end was 2:49. So for my massage is was... $119 plus 20% tip for 44 minutes of a really bad massage and access to the pool, beach chairs, sauna, locker rooms, etc. Wouldn't do it again! We left feeling really ripped off and stupid for spending that much money.

Room Tip: we only used the spa.