“Reministant of a bygone era, very elegant and beautiful.” 5 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase $224
Ranked #53 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Reministant of a bygone era, very elegant and beautiful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked the Palms Hotel for a post cruise stay. An older hotel, upon entering the lobby you had a feel of the Miami jetsetters of the past, so very elegant and beautiful. Service was incredible, check in fast and efficient. We were given an ocean front upgrade that had a wonderful view. The room was spacious and had a separate lavatory and shower room, very nice idea. Hotel offers services of an Aveda Spa which I loved! The hotel property was like a small oasis of tropical foliage, grassy lawn areas and a nice size pool. We were even greeting by two colorful parrots welcoming us to the pool area. During our stay they were hosting a wedding which was a nice surprise to take a peek at, the lawn and pool area were all lit with white lights and lanterns, so romantic. Hotel has 2 restaurants but we did not have time try. Within a 10min walk there are nice local cafes for dinning. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better ocean views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your Palms experience with us! We appreciate your lovely description of our elegant and beautiful lobby, incredible service and spacious rooms. I am pleased to read that you loved our Aveda Spa and look forward to welcoming you back to our “tropical oasis” and hopefully next time you will try our delicious natural gourmet cuisine at Essensia Restaurant. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at alma@thepalmshotel.com

1,036 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Palms for our 25th wedding anniversary. I was drawn by the lush grounds around the pool as well as being right on the beach, but not too close to the frenzy of South Beach. We had been warned about the construction next door -- they are building a large hotel -- so we were prepared for that and asked for a room away from the noise. The room was on the smaller side but very nice, clean, modern, streamlined and we liked the setup with a separate bathroom which means someone can shower at the same time. Beds were quite comfortable and turndown service was a treat. We usually don't expect much from the in-house restaurant but we had a fabulous meal at Essencia our first night. Recommend the salmon and the scallops and the chocolate panna cotta was amazing! Yes it is pricey but this is Miami Beach so that is to be expected. Our tall waitress with glasses was very friendly and attentive too. We also enjoyed the tiki bar/lounge outside and some excellent ceviche salad and spanish tapas. Lovely lush tropical decor made you really feel on vacation. Again, great food! Beach was nice, with umbrellas and chaise lounges and very attentive waiters who are there at your beck and call for drinks etc. One knock -- some of the chairs are broken so would be nice for those to get fixed. Very relaxing with the exception of the construction noise. We could overlook it. Every night we strolled outside for a nice walk along the beach boardwalk. Since we do not like a heavy breakfast, we ventured out via walking/bike/cab to find a Starbucks, etc. There is a bike sharing station right around the corner from the hotel and we made use of these quite frequently. We toured South Beach as well as South Pointe Park on bike -- highly recommend this! All in all, we found The Palms to be a very nice experience. I think it will be perfect once the construction next door is completed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We are pleased that you choose The Palms Hotel & Spa to celebrate such an important occasion. Congratulation on your 25th wedding anniversary! We appreciate your lovely comments regarding Essensia restaurant and are thrilled to read that the salmon, the scallops, and the chocolate panna cotta were amazing! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for many many more anniversary celebrations.
Alma
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The front desk staff and the staff at the spa where quite helpful. This was the only customer service I received at this hotel. On the first night I went to the bar for happy hour. After being ignored on the patio for 10 minutes while others around me were served, I chose to move inside. This was no better. I was one of 5 people at the bar and still was ignored by the bartender. I had to eventually flag him down. After I ordered he disappeared again. To add insult to injury, the check had an automatic 20% gratuity on it. This explains the poor customer service. Why work for the customer when the tip is large and already on the check? Oh, I should add that happy hour for my party (a total of 4 drinks and two small appetizers was almost $80- so much for HH deals). This got worse the next night, my birthday, when I was told that the hotel staff could not get a cab for me to my birthday dinner because it "was a busy time" and I would "do better" to call one myself or flag one down in the street. The next day I was robbed by a hotel server. My food check was $11.50 which included the tip (as all things do there). I handed him a $50 and he handed me $36 in return. The grounds of this hotel, and the rooms, are quite nice. Sad to see that poor customer service overall really detracted from the ambiance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I am sorry to hear of this unfortunate experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We apologize for the inconveniences and understand your concerns. Please know that your satisfaction is priority at The Palms and I would like to see if we could set up a time to discuss this matter further. Please email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
Best wishes,
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at The Palms Hotel and Spa in Miami. We've made it here every other year for the past 6 years, usually in March. We are never disappointed, because we know what to expect (i.e., resort prices for drinks and meals and sundries; don't go if you don't want to pay $15 for a drink at the bar. This is not a budget getaway, and it doesn't advertise itself as one). Gorgeous grounds, helpful staff, clean (if small) rooms that you're hardly ever in, anyway. There is construction going on immediately next door; it does seem that all our stays have coincided with some kind of construction going on, either at the resort itself or in this case, next door. However, it's good to see the construction; we can definitely see an uptick in building and renovation in the immediate area, which is good for everyone. That said, the construction was much less noticeable on Saturday and nonexistent on Sunday, so keep that in mind if you think it will bother you. We dined once at Essencia, which was fine, and twice in the bar, again - very nice. It does seem as if they've changed the menu since the last time we stayed, and for the better. A lot of nice, fresh, light offerings. One night we went to STK about 4 blocks away, and that was terrific, too. But mainly we go to the Palms to sit on the beach or in the pool area, drink, read, and relax. And we were not disappointed in any of these endeavors! We will be back again, I know.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room on the north side, if you want to sleep late, as construction is going on in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
What an absolute pleasure it was to have you back as one of our loyal and repeat Palms guests! I truly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Clarksburg, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Palms is a true vacation retreat in Miami Beach. Beautiful lush gardens surround the property keeping the high rise buildings at bay and giving a feeling of seclusion in a very busy area. The boardwalk is right out the gate for morning walks with coffee. Rooms are clean, the beds are excellent, and the veranda by the pool is a great place to lounge and people watch or have a glass of wine after a day on the beach. 20 min from airport makes this an easy ride, making the most of precious vacation time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guests. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our beautiful lush gardens, clean rooms, and excellent beds. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Palms Hotel & Spa, “an oasis on the strip!”
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I just got back from our trip to Miami and I thought I should write an honest review on the Palms after reading many reviews before this trip and experiencing the hotel first hand. First of all, we are experienced travelers and have been all over the world. Have stayed in some of the nicest and most expensive hotels in the world as well as some of the crummiest motels in the world too so, we have a pretty solid and holistic perspective. We landed at the Palms as we've stayed at many Miami hotels over the years and wanted a different scene and a more relaxed atmosphere. Overall, we thought the Palms was a very nice hotel with great staff, just the right amount of amenities and a setting that feels luxurious and tropical/green. Our room wasn't ready when we got there (around 12) so we went to the beach to relax. Remember check in is at 4. Checking in earlier than that is at the hotel's discretion and based on availability. Can't knock them for not having our room ready at noon. It was ready before 4.The beach was wonderful as were the servers (we never felt like we were being ignored and wait staff was always making sure we were ok). For the people who complain about the severs asking you too many times if you're ok, get some perspective. THAT IS THEIR JOB. If they don't ask, you'll probably complain that they didn't ask you enough. Just let them know that you're cool and that you'll let them know when you're ready to order. Simple. The pool was very nice and the surroundings/grounds were well manicured/lush and serene. Tiki bar was great as well. Drinks are generally really expensive. 20+ for a mixed drink is a little over the top (inclusive of tip and tax) but that is Miami. I will say that the construction next door is an issue. It can be loud during the day and if this is something that you think might bother you, do not stay here. Seriously. You will be annoyed. For us, we were so happy to be on vacation and relaxing, that the noise was really an afterthought. But, I can definitely see how many travelers could be extremely upset by this. So, be warned. Less noisy on the beach but at the pool it can get loud. We had a room on the top floor and the view was spectacular. Rooms were nicely appointed/minimalist with bathroom and shower separated which was a nice touch actually. Turn down service at night was great with chocolates on pillows. The Essensia restaurant and lounge were quite good. The decoration at both venues, and the entire hotel for that matter, was really thoughtful, thorough and well put together. Again, luxurious and tropical. The food at Essensia breakfast was standard breakfast buffet. Nothing to write home about but thought that there was enough variety and quality. The Essensia lounge has great cocktails many with ingredients from their house garden which is close to the pool area. You can actually take a tour of it which I thought was a nice feature. The Spa was spectacular (according to my wife). Its an Aveda spa so there is a level of quality that comes with that. Very nice spa setting. Business center was basic but you can print boarding passes for free (just FYI, this is standard these days). We had free breakfast and a 50 dollar resort credit that could be used only at the Essensia restaurant and the Spa. REPEAT. The 50 dollar credit can only be used at the Spa and Essensia restaurant (not the lounge, not the tiki bar etc). That was slightly frustrating that they wouldn't bend on that policy (its 50 bucks!). at 20+ for a drink that is only two drinks!!! LOL. Again, we had a great time here and thought that it was a nice hotel. Would we stay again? Possibly. But there are so many hotels in Miami, we aren't the type to stay at the same place twice (unless we're absolutely blown away). We weren't blown away at the Palms, but we thought the experience was delightful and would recommend to anyone. The construction is an issue but can be overlooked if you want to.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side of the hotel are preferable due to construction.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and taking the time to provide this invaluable guest perspective on your experience at The Palms. We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our great staff, beautiful grounds, luxurious amenities, spectacular spa, Essensia and our Organic Chef’s Garden. Regarding the construction next door, we are excited about the enhancement this new property will bring to the surrounding areas and our tropical settings and luxurious amenities within the hotel continue to be a great charm making the intermittent noise as you have mentioned “an afterthought”. As a frequent commuter, I am not sure if at this time there is a “construction free” area in our beautifully evolving city. Hopefully, you will consider our hotel next time your travels bring you back to Miami Beach.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Out of curiosity, I logged onto the Tripadvisor to look up the review this morning for the Palm beach hotel as we've just spent one evening here (and will be staying for another evening) and I was so surprised to find the last 3 reviews to be quite negative. It had all been fantastic reviews before.

I'm staying at one of the city view rooms too. It is smallish but very nicely decorated. My room overlooks another hotel opposite but no problem with noise (I'm a light sleeper so I dislike noise too).

The bathroom isn't so small as one of the reviews below. I can certainly turn without opening the shower door. I'm UK size 8-10 while my boyfriend is 6'2.

In terms of service, true, it is by no means world class - because it isn't consistent! The front desk receptionist I met was by no means welcoming or cheerful, nor was the spa receptionist I met this morning. However, serving staff at the bar and restaurant has been generally good.

No doubt there's room for service improvement to be done by management. Management responses below to unsatisfied customers are unhelpful at all honestly. They are meaningless with no actions to improve. That really needs to be addressed. For the time being, just tip for excellent service and take the tips off if you're not happy (even if it's been added to your bills).

Additional point to note:
1. Yes there's a $14 hotel fee per day for pool, wifi, etc
2. Valet parking is at an obnoxious price of $29 per day so park at the public parking nearby only 2-3 blocks away
3. Construction site is still happening so please do beware

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for not only being our recent guest but also for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words in regard to our guestrooms but regret the inconsistent staff interactions mentioned. Your comments have been shared with our Training & Development Specialist and will certainly be used in our ongoing training and development areas so that we may continue to provide the high level of service and personal attention that The Palms is known for. Guest feedback is one of the most important tools if not the most important tool that moves us forward in our quest for ensuring an enjoyable stay for each and every guest. I would love the opportunity to further discuss you stay with you in detail (dates of stay, room number, etc) if you would kindly contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!