“Don't expect customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Early Booking From $180++
Ranked #54 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Beach, California
“Don't expect customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The front desk staff and the staff at the spa where quite helpful. This was the only customer service I received at this hotel. On the first night I went to the bar for happy hour. After being ignored on the patio for 10 minutes while others around me were served, I chose to move inside. This was no better. I was one of 5 people at the bar and still was ignored by the bartender. I had to eventually flag him down. After I ordered he disappeared again. To add insult to injury, the check had an automatic 20% gratuity on it. This explains the poor customer service. Why work for the customer when the tip is large and already on the check? Oh, I should add that happy hour for my party (a total of 4 drinks and two small appetizers was almost $80- so much for HH deals). This got worse the next night, my birthday, when I was told that the hotel staff could not get a cab for me to my birthday dinner because it "was a busy time" and I would "do better" to call one myself or flag one down in the street. The next day I was robbed by a hotel server. My food check was $11.50 which included the tip (as all things do there). I handed him a $50 and he handed me $36 in return. The grounds of this hotel, and the rooms, are quite nice. Sad to see that poor customer service overall really detracted from the ambiance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I am sorry to hear of this unfortunate experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We apologize for the inconveniences and understand your concerns. Please know that your satisfaction is priority at The Palms and I would like to see if we could set up a time to discuss this matter further. Please email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
Best wishes,
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at The Palms Hotel and Spa in Miami. We've made it here every other year for the past 6 years, usually in March. We are never disappointed, because we know what to expect (i.e., resort prices for drinks and meals and sundries; don't go if you don't want to pay $15 for a drink at the bar. This is not a budget getaway, and it doesn't advertise itself as one). Gorgeous grounds, helpful staff, clean (if small) rooms that you're hardly ever in, anyway. There is construction going on immediately next door; it does seem that all our stays have coincided with some kind of construction going on, either at the resort itself or in this case, next door. However, it's good to see the construction; we can definitely see an uptick in building and renovation in the immediate area, which is good for everyone. That said, the construction was much less noticeable on Saturday and nonexistent on Sunday, so keep that in mind if you think it will bother you. We dined once at Essencia, which was fine, and twice in the bar, again - very nice. It does seem as if they've changed the menu since the last time we stayed, and for the better. A lot of nice, fresh, light offerings. One night we went to STK about 4 blocks away, and that was terrific, too. But mainly we go to the Palms to sit on the beach or in the pool area, drink, read, and relax. And we were not disappointed in any of these endeavors! We will be back again, I know.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room on the north side, if you want to sleep late, as construction is going on in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
What an absolute pleasure it was to have you back as one of our loyal and repeat Palms guests! I truly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Clarksburg, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Palms is a true vacation retreat in Miami Beach. Beautiful lush gardens surround the property keeping the high rise buildings at bay and giving a feeling of seclusion in a very busy area. The boardwalk is right out the gate for morning walks with coffee. Rooms are clean, the beds are excellent, and the veranda by the pool is a great place to lounge and people watch or have a glass of wine after a day on the beach. 20 min from airport makes this an easy ride, making the most of precious vacation time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guests. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our beautiful lush gardens, clean rooms, and excellent beds. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Palms Hotel & Spa, “an oasis on the strip!”
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I just got back from our trip to Miami and I thought I should write an honest review on the Palms after reading many reviews before this trip and experiencing the hotel first hand. First of all, we are experienced travelers and have been all over the world. Have stayed in some of the nicest and most expensive hotels in the world as well as some of the crummiest motels in the world too so, we have a pretty solid and holistic perspective. We landed at the Palms as we've stayed at many Miami hotels over the years and wanted a different scene and a more relaxed atmosphere. Overall, we thought the Palms was a very nice hotel with great staff, just the right amount of amenities and a setting that feels luxurious and tropical/green. Our room wasn't ready when we got there (around 12) so we went to the beach to relax. Remember check in is at 4. Checking in earlier than that is at the hotel's discretion and based on availability. Can't knock them for not having our room ready at noon. It was ready before 4.The beach was wonderful as were the servers (we never felt like we were being ignored and wait staff was always making sure we were ok). For the people who complain about the severs asking you too many times if you're ok, get some perspective. THAT IS THEIR JOB. If they don't ask, you'll probably complain that they didn't ask you enough. Just let them know that you're cool and that you'll let them know when you're ready to order. Simple. The pool was very nice and the surroundings/grounds were well manicured/lush and serene. Tiki bar was great as well. Drinks are generally really expensive. 20+ for a mixed drink is a little over the top (inclusive of tip and tax) but that is Miami. I will say that the construction next door is an issue. It can be loud during the day and if this is something that you think might bother you, do not stay here. Seriously. You will be annoyed. For us, we were so happy to be on vacation and relaxing, that the noise was really an afterthought. But, I can definitely see how many travelers could be extremely upset by this. So, be warned. Less noisy on the beach but at the pool it can get loud. We had a room on the top floor and the view was spectacular. Rooms were nicely appointed/minimalist with bathroom and shower separated which was a nice touch actually. Turn down service at night was great with chocolates on pillows. The Essensia restaurant and lounge were quite good. The decoration at both venues, and the entire hotel for that matter, was really thoughtful, thorough and well put together. Again, luxurious and tropical. The food at Essensia breakfast was standard breakfast buffet. Nothing to write home about but thought that there was enough variety and quality. The Essensia lounge has great cocktails many with ingredients from their house garden which is close to the pool area. You can actually take a tour of it which I thought was a nice feature. The Spa was spectacular (according to my wife). Its an Aveda spa so there is a level of quality that comes with that. Very nice spa setting. Business center was basic but you can print boarding passes for free (just FYI, this is standard these days). We had free breakfast and a 50 dollar resort credit that could be used only at the Essensia restaurant and the Spa. REPEAT. The 50 dollar credit can only be used at the Spa and Essensia restaurant (not the lounge, not the tiki bar etc). That was slightly frustrating that they wouldn't bend on that policy (its 50 bucks!). at 20+ for a drink that is only two drinks!!! LOL. Again, we had a great time here and thought that it was a nice hotel. Would we stay again? Possibly. But there are so many hotels in Miami, we aren't the type to stay at the same place twice (unless we're absolutely blown away). We weren't blown away at the Palms, but we thought the experience was delightful and would recommend to anyone. The construction is an issue but can be overlooked if you want to.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side of the hotel are preferable due to construction.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and taking the time to provide this invaluable guest perspective on your experience at The Palms. We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our great staff, beautiful grounds, luxurious amenities, spectacular spa, Essensia and our Organic Chef’s Garden. Regarding the construction next door, we are excited about the enhancement this new property will bring to the surrounding areas and our tropical settings and luxurious amenities within the hotel continue to be a great charm making the intermittent noise as you have mentioned “an afterthought”. As a frequent commuter, I am not sure if at this time there is a “construction free” area in our beautifully evolving city. Hopefully, you will consider our hotel next time your travels bring you back to Miami Beach.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Out of curiosity, I logged onto the Tripadvisor to look up the review this morning for the Palm beach hotel as we've just spent one evening here (and will be staying for another evening) and I was so surprised to find the last 3 reviews to be quite negative. It had all been fantastic reviews before.

I'm staying at one of the city view rooms too. It is smallish but very nicely decorated. My room overlooks another hotel opposite but no problem with noise (I'm a light sleeper so I dislike noise too).

The bathroom isn't so small as one of the reviews below. I can certainly turn without opening the shower door. I'm UK size 8-10 while my boyfriend is 6'2.

In terms of service, true, it is by no means world class - because it isn't consistent! The front desk receptionist I met was by no means welcoming or cheerful, nor was the spa receptionist I met this morning. However, serving staff at the bar and restaurant has been generally good.

No doubt there's room for service improvement to be done by management. Management responses below to unsatisfied customers are unhelpful at all honestly. They are meaningless with no actions to improve. That really needs to be addressed. For the time being, just tip for excellent service and take the tips off if you're not happy (even if it's been added to your bills).

Additional point to note:
1. Yes there's a $14 hotel fee per day for pool, wifi, etc
2. Valet parking is at an obnoxious price of $29 per day so park at the public parking nearby only 2-3 blocks away
3. Construction site is still happening so please do beware

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for not only being our recent guest but also for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words in regard to our guestrooms but regret the inconsistent staff interactions mentioned. Your comments have been shared with our Training & Development Specialist and will certainly be used in our ongoing training and development areas so that we may continue to provide the high level of service and personal attention that The Palms is known for. Guest feedback is one of the most important tools if not the most important tool that moves us forward in our quest for ensuring an enjoyable stay for each and every guest. I would love the opportunity to further discuss you stay with you in detail (dates of stay, room number, etc) if you would kindly contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
abelelz
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've been to Miami Beach/South Beach several times and I was very disappointed. After reading a lot of these reviews, I felt safe in staying at the Palm Hotel but it was a REAL let down. I requested a room away from the nearby construction and was put in a special needs (handicap) room right in front of the elevator... talk about noisy! I went down to the desk and was told by the manager that "I" had requested that room (I didn't of course). I was switched but all the rooms are much smaller than in the pictures and the bathrooms even smaller. Definitely not the star rating it's getting.
They emptied the trash and cleaned the bathroom but that was it... never vacuumed my room as there was the same small trash on the floor every day. The hotel is WAY, WAY overpriced. There isn't much around that area and the hotel website says you can take the boardwalk to the main area of Southbeach. It's true but takes about 25 minutes to do so, very far from all the action including Lincoln Ave.
At the end of check out, they tell me that I still owe $75 dollars to cover the beach towels, coffee maker and pool amenities for my week stay. Shouldn't that be included in the cost of the room???? Absolutely ridiculous! I paid but for that $75 dollars and lack of attention, they are getting my "Honest" but negative review on all the major travel sites. Shame on the hotel. Really not worth the money or time.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for being our recent guest. I do sincerely regret to hear, however, that we failed to exceed your expectations for an overall relaxing stay and would love the opportunity to further discuss your stay with you in detail (name on the reservation and dates of stay) if you would kindly contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you and addressing all areas of concern with our Team.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We saw mixed reviews, so we stopped by to check it out.
We tried to get a drink on their beautiful porch, but created departmental chaos and had to order drinks from the bar and bring them to the porch where we were ignored.

In talking with guests and our own backyard experience, the take home is this: it's like a cruise ship. Small unimpressive rooms with sealed windows. Beautiful public spaces. Most guests loved the pool area but suggest you avoid it M-F because of Construction Jack hammers next door. I found it to be noisy.

This hotel really has a higher than average price point for what you get. They need to put together a "buy two and get the 3rd night free deal until the construction goes away.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We are pleased that you enjoyed our beautiful public spaces and regret that you seem not to have had a pleasant experience at our Lounge. If you would like to tell us more details of what happened, I will be pleased to address it with the Department Head. My email is alma@thepalmshotel.com. Regarding the construction next door, we do advise our guests that intermittent noise may be heard outside of the hotel; however, our tropical and laid-back ambiance and our beautiful beach continue to provide an enjoyable retreat to our guests. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly in order to ensure that any areas of concern you may have may be addressed and improved.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!