“Nice hotel, location and staff...Construction next door might bother you.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms Hotel & Spa

Advance Purchase $180
Ranked #54 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice hotel, location and staff...Construction next door might bother you.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I just got back from our trip to Miami and I thought I should write an honest review on the Palms after reading many reviews before this trip and experiencing the hotel first hand. First of all, we are experienced travelers and have been all over the world. Have stayed in some of the nicest and most expensive hotels in the world as well as some of the crummiest motels in the world too so, we have a pretty solid and holistic perspective. We landed at the Palms as we've stayed at many Miami hotels over the years and wanted a different scene and a more relaxed atmosphere. Overall, we thought the Palms was a very nice hotel with great staff, just the right amount of amenities and a setting that feels luxurious and tropical/green. Our room wasn't ready when we got there (around 12) so we went to the beach to relax. Remember check in is at 4. Checking in earlier than that is at the hotel's discretion and based on availability. Can't knock them for not having our room ready at noon. It was ready before 4.The beach was wonderful as were the servers (we never felt like we were being ignored and wait staff was always making sure we were ok). For the people who complain about the severs asking you too many times if you're ok, get some perspective. THAT IS THEIR JOB. If they don't ask, you'll probably complain that they didn't ask you enough. Just let them know that you're cool and that you'll let them know when you're ready to order. Simple. The pool was very nice and the surroundings/grounds were well manicured/lush and serene. Tiki bar was great as well. Drinks are generally really expensive. 20+ for a mixed drink is a little over the top (inclusive of tip and tax) but that is Miami. I will say that the construction next door is an issue. It can be loud during the day and if this is something that you think might bother you, do not stay here. Seriously. You will be annoyed. For us, we were so happy to be on vacation and relaxing, that the noise was really an afterthought. But, I can definitely see how many travelers could be extremely upset by this. So, be warned. Less noisy on the beach but at the pool it can get loud. We had a room on the top floor and the view was spectacular. Rooms were nicely appointed/minimalist with bathroom and shower separated which was a nice touch actually. Turn down service at night was great with chocolates on pillows. The Essensia restaurant and lounge were quite good. The decoration at both venues, and the entire hotel for that matter, was really thoughtful, thorough and well put together. Again, luxurious and tropical. The food at Essensia breakfast was standard breakfast buffet. Nothing to write home about but thought that there was enough variety and quality. The Essensia lounge has great cocktails many with ingredients from their house garden which is close to the pool area. You can actually take a tour of it which I thought was a nice feature. The Spa was spectacular (according to my wife). Its an Aveda spa so there is a level of quality that comes with that. Very nice spa setting. Business center was basic but you can print boarding passes for free (just FYI, this is standard these days). We had free breakfast and a 50 dollar resort credit that could be used only at the Essensia restaurant and the Spa. REPEAT. The 50 dollar credit can only be used at the Spa and Essensia restaurant (not the lounge, not the tiki bar etc). That was slightly frustrating that they wouldn't bend on that policy (its 50 bucks!). at 20+ for a drink that is only two drinks!!! LOL. Again, we had a great time here and thought that it was a nice hotel. Would we stay again? Possibly. But there are so many hotels in Miami, we aren't the type to stay at the same place twice (unless we're absolutely blown away). We weren't blown away at the Palms, but we thought the experience was delightful and would recommend to anyone. The construction is an issue but can be overlooked if you want to.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side of the hotel are preferable due to construction.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and taking the time to provide this invaluable guest perspective on your experience at The Palms. We appreciate your lovely comments regarding our great staff, beautiful grounds, luxurious amenities, spectacular spa, Essensia and our Organic Chef’s Garden. Regarding the construction next door, we are excited about the enhancement this new property will bring to the surrounding areas and our tropical settings and luxurious amenities within the hotel continue to be a great charm making the intermittent noise as you have mentioned “an afterthought”. As a frequent commuter, I am not sure if at this time there is a “construction free” area in our beautifully evolving city. Hopefully, you will consider our hotel next time your travels bring you back to Miami Beach.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Out of curiosity, I logged onto the Tripadvisor to look up the review this morning for the Palm beach hotel as we've just spent one evening here (and will be staying for another evening) and I was so surprised to find the last 3 reviews to be quite negative. It had all been fantastic reviews before.

I'm staying at one of the city view rooms too. It is smallish but very nicely decorated. My room overlooks another hotel opposite but no problem with noise (I'm a light sleeper so I dislike noise too).

The bathroom isn't so small as one of the reviews below. I can certainly turn without opening the shower door. I'm UK size 8-10 while my boyfriend is 6'2.

In terms of service, true, it is by no means world class - because it isn't consistent! The front desk receptionist I met was by no means welcoming or cheerful, nor was the spa receptionist I met this morning. However, serving staff at the bar and restaurant has been generally good.

No doubt there's room for service improvement to be done by management. Management responses below to unsatisfied customers are unhelpful at all honestly. They are meaningless with no actions to improve. That really needs to be addressed. For the time being, just tip for excellent service and take the tips off if you're not happy (even if it's been added to your bills).

Additional point to note:
1. Yes there's a $14 hotel fee per day for pool, wifi, etc
2. Valet parking is at an obnoxious price of $29 per day so park at the public parking nearby only 2-3 blocks away
3. Construction site is still happening so please do beware

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for not only being our recent guest but also for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words in regard to our guestrooms but regret the inconsistent staff interactions mentioned. Your comments have been shared with our Training & Development Specialist and will certainly be used in our ongoing training and development areas so that we may continue to provide the high level of service and personal attention that The Palms is known for. Guest feedback is one of the most important tools if not the most important tool that moves us forward in our quest for ensuring an enjoyable stay for each and every guest. I would love the opportunity to further discuss you stay with you in detail (dates of stay, room number, etc) if you would kindly contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
abelelz
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've been to Miami Beach/South Beach several times and I was very disappointed. After reading a lot of these reviews, I felt safe in staying at the Palm Hotel but it was a REAL let down. I requested a room away from the nearby construction and was put in a special needs (handicap) room right in front of the elevator... talk about noisy! I went down to the desk and was told by the manager that "I" had requested that room (I didn't of course). I was switched but all the rooms are much smaller than in the pictures and the bathrooms even smaller. Definitely not the star rating it's getting.
They emptied the trash and cleaned the bathroom but that was it... never vacuumed my room as there was the same small trash on the floor every day. The hotel is WAY, WAY overpriced. There isn't much around that area and the hotel website says you can take the boardwalk to the main area of Southbeach. It's true but takes about 25 minutes to do so, very far from all the action including Lincoln Ave.
At the end of check out, they tell me that I still owe $75 dollars to cover the beach towels, coffee maker and pool amenities for my week stay. Shouldn't that be included in the cost of the room???? Absolutely ridiculous! I paid but for that $75 dollars and lack of attention, they are getting my "Honest" but negative review on all the major travel sites. Shame on the hotel. Really not worth the money or time.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for being our recent guest. I do sincerely regret to hear, however, that we failed to exceed your expectations for an overall relaxing stay and would love the opportunity to further discuss your stay with you in detail (name on the reservation and dates of stay) if you would kindly contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you and addressing all areas of concern with our Team.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We saw mixed reviews, so we stopped by to check it out.
We tried to get a drink on their beautiful porch, but created departmental chaos and had to order drinks from the bar and bring them to the porch where we were ignored.

In talking with guests and our own backyard experience, the take home is this: it's like a cruise ship. Small unimpressive rooms with sealed windows. Beautiful public spaces. Most guests loved the pool area but suggest you avoid it M-F because of Construction Jack hammers next door. I found it to be noisy.

This hotel really has a higher than average price point for what you get. They need to put together a "buy two and get the 3rd night free deal until the construction goes away.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We are pleased that you enjoyed our beautiful public spaces and regret that you seem not to have had a pleasant experience at our Lounge. If you would like to tell us more details of what happened, I will be pleased to address it with the Department Head. My email is alma@thepalmshotel.com. Regarding the construction next door, we do advise our guests that intermittent noise may be heard outside of the hotel; however, our tropical and laid-back ambiance and our beautiful beach continue to provide an enjoyable retreat to our guests. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly in order to ensure that any areas of concern you may have may be addressed and improved.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I have been looking forward to stet at the palms for the longest time. I finally received a special offer for an early bird special and I decided to book it for my vacation in Florida. Low and behold I arrive and they assign me a room I'm not kidding smaller than the smallest cabin on a cruise ship. The entire bathroom is the size of my shower at home. I can't rotate my torso in the shower without opening the door and I needed to sit sideways on the toilet to use it. I'm sorry bit this is not a leading hotel of the world by any means. When I went to the front desk to complain the asistant manager tells me with a smirk on his face that I got a good rate. In other words what I deserve the crapyest room in the hotel? He than proceeds to mention we ate boutique hotel and that's the way to rooms are. Well I felt obligated to share this with all my friends on trip advisor. If you want a Luxary experience and a comfortable room. This is not the Place.

• Stayed April 2012
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. I am truly disappointed that your stay was not exactly as you had anticipated and I apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We value our guests’ feedback and appreciate the opportunity to address any issues that may occur. Please be assured that what you may have experienced is completely atypical to a standard stay at The Palms and guest satisfaction is paramount to us. We hope that when your travels bring you back to Miami to welcome you as our valued guest for another stay so that you may experience The Palms in it’s true light.
Windermere, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Booked an ocean view room for 3 days with $50 resort credit per night to use at spa or restaurant Essencia. First they gave us a room with no oceanview whatsoever, 4th floor all you see is trees and a roof under construction. By the way there is a hotel building next door making terrible noise very disturbing. We were told there were no other rooms available, after making a little scene, they found a room on the 8th floor with ocean view which is what we paid for. The food is horrible at the Essencia, we had breakfast buffet and it was horrible, tasteless and limited food, more on the line of a continental breakfast. The room has dirty carpet and dirty curtains and the shower ground was disgusting. The outside, and pool area needs to be renovated. All staff , with few exceptions, are rude, the staff at the beach specially, they are nasty. We had in-room dinning, the food was horrible, plus they forgot to bring silverware, and they brought 20 minutes later the food was really cold by then. In addition to all, when the bill came they did not apply the $50 resort credit because we did not go to the restaurant for dinner, although we spent $700 in food at the pool, beach and in-room dinning, which are all food made by their only restaurant in the property. After arguing at the lobby with manager, he gave us a partial credit. Honestly for this kind of money go to a Ritz Carlton or 5 star marriot resort that stands behind customer service satisfaction.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guests. I sincerely regret to hear about the various inconveniences you encountered while being our guests and the unfortunate staff interactions with our beach team, as that is certainly not the level of customer service that we stride to provide our valued guests. Our Training & Development Specialist has been made aware and I have also shared your comments with our Housekeeping Director and F&B Director for their immediate review. Thank you for your feedback. For our future guests, we have clarified under the restrictions of The Resort Escape Package that the credit is only redeemable towards any spa service or dinner at Essensia. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your faith in our genuine hospitality and service the next time your travels bring you back to the Miami Beach area. Please contact me directly (alma@thepalmshotel.com) if you have any other concerns or so that I may handle the details of your future reservation. We look forward to providing you with the high level of service and personal attention that The Palms is known for.
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

well I like too much the hotel, is classic, nice pool , beutiful breakfast, beach just crossing the door which is heaven, the only think that my parents and I didn´t like was the fact we have to wait for our room on friday march 22 for more than 4 hours which is totally bad we came from another trip very tired and that was a dissapoinment and we had to waiting at the lobby , pool , well not cool ...but for the rest the hotel is super nice

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for not only choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa but also for taking the time to review our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guests. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our property, pool and Essensia. I was able to locate you reservation and regret that you had to wait for your room but I am also glad that it was ready one hour before our check in time. Unfortunately, the room type requested and our occupancy the day of your arrival didn’t allow for the room to be ready in the morning. Please accept our apologies and be assured that guest satisfaction is paramount and everyone in our staff is highly dedicated to providing all of our Guests with excellent service and with warm hospitality. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Palms Hotel & Spa.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!