“Not worth the money or time” 2 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase $180
Ranked #54 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
abelelz
“Not worth the money or time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've been to Miami Beach/South Beach several times and I was very disappointed. After reading a lot of these reviews, I felt safe in staying at the Palm Hotel but it was a REAL let down. I requested a room away from the nearby construction and was put in a special needs (handicap) room right in front of the elevator... talk about noisy! I went down to the desk and was told by the manager that "I" had requested that room (I didn't of course). I was switched but all the rooms are much smaller than in the pictures and the bathrooms even smaller. Definitely not the star rating it's getting.
They emptied the trash and cleaned the bathroom but that was it... never vacuumed my room as there was the same small trash on the floor every day. The hotel is WAY, WAY overpriced. There isn't much around that area and the hotel website says you can take the boardwalk to the main area of Southbeach. It's true but takes about 25 minutes to do so, very far from all the action including Lincoln Ave.
At the end of check out, they tell me that I still owe $75 dollars to cover the beach towels, coffee maker and pool amenities for my week stay. Shouldn't that be included in the cost of the room???? Absolutely ridiculous! I paid but for that $75 dollars and lack of attention, they are getting my "Honest" but negative review on all the major travel sites. Shame on the hotel. Really not worth the money or time.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for being our recent guest. I do sincerely regret to hear, however, that we failed to exceed your expectations for an overall relaxing stay and would love the opportunity to further discuss your stay with you in detail (name on the reservation and dates of stay) if you would kindly contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you and addressing all areas of concern with our Team.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We saw mixed reviews, so we stopped by to check it out.
We tried to get a drink on their beautiful porch, but created departmental chaos and had to order drinks from the bar and bring them to the porch where we were ignored.

In talking with guests and our own backyard experience, the take home is this: it's like a cruise ship. Small unimpressive rooms with sealed windows. Beautiful public spaces. Most guests loved the pool area but suggest you avoid it M-F because of Construction Jack hammers next door. I found it to be noisy.

This hotel really has a higher than average price point for what you get. They need to put together a "buy two and get the 3rd night free deal until the construction goes away.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa. We are pleased that you enjoyed our beautiful public spaces and regret that you seem not to have had a pleasant experience at our Lounge. If you would like to tell us more details of what happened, I will be pleased to address it with the Department Head. My email is alma@thepalmshotel.com. Regarding the construction next door, we do advise our guests that intermittent noise may be heard outside of the hotel; however, our tropical and laid-back ambiance and our beautiful beach continue to provide an enjoyable retreat to our guests. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly in order to ensure that any areas of concern you may have may be addressed and improved.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I have been looking forward to stet at the palms for the longest time. I finally received a special offer for an early bird special and I decided to book it for my vacation in Florida. Low and behold I arrive and they assign me a room I'm not kidding smaller than the smallest cabin on a cruise ship. The entire bathroom is the size of my shower at home. I can't rotate my torso in the shower without opening the door and I needed to sit sideways on the toilet to use it. I'm sorry bit this is not a leading hotel of the world by any means. When I went to the front desk to complain the asistant manager tells me with a smirk on his face that I got a good rate. In other words what I deserve the crapyest room in the hotel? He than proceeds to mention we ate boutique hotel and that's the way to rooms are. Well I felt obligated to share this with all my friends on trip advisor. If you want a Luxary experience and a comfortable room. This is not the Place.

• Stayed April 2012
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. I am truly disappointed that your stay was not exactly as you had anticipated and I apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We value our guests’ feedback and appreciate the opportunity to address any issues that may occur. Please be assured that what you may have experienced is completely atypical to a standard stay at The Palms and guest satisfaction is paramount to us. We hope that when your travels bring you back to Miami to welcome you as our valued guest for another stay so that you may experience The Palms in it’s true light.
Windermere, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Booked an ocean view room for 3 days with $50 resort credit per night to use at spa or restaurant Essencia. First they gave us a room with no oceanview whatsoever, 4th floor all you see is trees and a roof under construction. By the way there is a hotel building next door making terrible noise very disturbing. We were told there were no other rooms available, after making a little scene, they found a room on the 8th floor with ocean view which is what we paid for. The food is horrible at the Essencia, we had breakfast buffet and it was horrible, tasteless and limited food, more on the line of a continental breakfast. The room has dirty carpet and dirty curtains and the shower ground was disgusting. The outside, and pool area needs to be renovated. All staff , with few exceptions, are rude, the staff at the beach specially, they are nasty. We had in-room dinning, the food was horrible, plus they forgot to bring silverware, and they brought 20 minutes later the food was really cold by then. In addition to all, when the bill came they did not apply the $50 resort credit because we did not go to the restaurant for dinner, although we spent $700 in food at the pool, beach and in-room dinning, which are all food made by their only restaurant in the property. After arguing at the lobby with manager, he gave us a partial credit. Honestly for this kind of money go to a Ritz Carlton or 5 star marriot resort that stands behind customer service satisfaction.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guests. I sincerely regret to hear about the various inconveniences you encountered while being our guests and the unfortunate staff interactions with our beach team, as that is certainly not the level of customer service that we stride to provide our valued guests. Our Training & Development Specialist has been made aware and I have also shared your comments with our Housekeeping Director and F&B Director for their immediate review. Thank you for your feedback. For our future guests, we have clarified under the restrictions of The Resort Escape Package that the credit is only redeemable towards any spa service or dinner at Essensia. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your faith in our genuine hospitality and service the next time your travels bring you back to the Miami Beach area. Please contact me directly (alma@thepalmshotel.com) if you have any other concerns or so that I may handle the details of your future reservation. We look forward to providing you with the high level of service and personal attention that The Palms is known for.
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

well I like too much the hotel, is classic, nice pool , beutiful breakfast, beach just crossing the door which is heaven, the only think that my parents and I didn´t like was the fact we have to wait for our room on friday march 22 for more than 4 hours which is totally bad we came from another trip very tired and that was a dissapoinment and we had to waiting at the lobby , pool , well not cool ...but for the rest the hotel is super nice

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for not only choosing to stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa but also for taking the time to review our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guests. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our property, pool and Essensia. I was able to locate you reservation and regret that you had to wait for your room but I am also glad that it was ready one hour before our check in time. Unfortunately, the room type requested and our occupancy the day of your arrival didn’t allow for the room to be ready in the morning. Please accept our apologies and be assured that guest satisfaction is paramount and everyone in our staff is highly dedicated to providing all of our Guests with excellent service and with warm hospitality. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Palms Hotel & Spa.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I just returned from my first trip to South Beach and already can't wait to go back to The Palms. Whether relaxing in the hammocks by the beautiful pool in the garden or enjoying delicious drinks and dishes on the pristine beach steps from the hotel, it was one of the most romantic and relaxing vacations I've ever had.

The hotel staff had great recommendations for restaurants and bars, plus bent over backwards to help find us a different room configuration (due to a mix-up on the third-party booking site's end). They even sent over a bottle of wine afterward! And the hotel beds will give you the best night's sleep you've ever had!!! (The Godiva chocolates on the pillow each night were an extra sweet treat.)

Highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a romantic or family-friendly weekend in Miami! A 5 minutes via cab from the heart of South Beach - you're close enough to all the action but far enough to enjoy a more relaxing experience during the daytime.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north side of the hotel to avoid construction noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guests during your first trip to South Beach! Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our beautiful pool and garden areas, delicious food, hotel beds, and helpful staff. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Palms Hotel & Spa on your next and many more visits to Miami Beach!
Warm Regards,
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We paid the double room with breakfast for 2 : 444$ the night (350€)

We arrived at 10pm in a room so dirty that it was impossible to use the bathroom
We just when to bed the bedsheets looked cleaned. We asked the receptionist to come up and
We showed the him how dirty was this room. In fact it hasn't been cleaned at all. He said he couldn't do anything we couldn't have another room. We had to wait up to the next morning.
The next morning we ask the cleaning lady who couldn't understand a word of English to clean the room. we came back in the afternoon to pack out or luggage. As the room was always so dirty I wend to the next shop, I bought some cleaning stuff and I cleaned the room myself.

The second problem came the next morning as we wanted to use the swimming pool or lie down on the beach and that we realized that an hotel next door was being build. So it was impossible to use the hotel premises for the noise from the construction was so loud. So we had to to pay to get a chair in an other hotel more quite.

The hotel boost to be next to the beach but forget to say that it is impossible to open the window
Impossible to get some fresh air we have to live on air conditioning all the time, which is a nuisance and a pity since we are a few foots from the see.

There is no isolation between the rooms you can follow your neighbor in their more intimate
Life.

The must stupid thing arrived on our fifth days : as we entered our room at 10 pm coming back from the restaurant. We were surprised to see in our room a suit case an handbag which did not belong to us. They've obviously been brought there by mistake. Not very conscientious the hotel personal. I tried to call the reception but I had only an answering machine.

This hotel spoiled our holidays.

For sure this hotel needs a real manager and needs to be renovated, for this price without being able to open the window and without balcony is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Can be used as overnight stop. The girls in the spa are very professional. But there is no Sauna !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for being our recent guest at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely regret to hear about the various inconveniences you encountered while being our guest and that we failed to exceed your expectations for an overall relaxing stay. I would love the opportunity to further discuss your stay with you in detail, if you would please be so kind to contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Alma

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!