“The worst service I have ever seen in 20 years travel” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3025 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #54 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Paris, France
“The worst service I have ever seen in 20 years travel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We paid the double room with breakfast for 2 : 444$ the night (350€)

We arrived at 10pm in a room so dirty that it was impossible to use the bathroom
We just when to bed the bedsheets looked cleaned. We asked the receptionist to come up and
We showed the him how dirty was this room. In fact it hasn't been cleaned at all. He said he couldn't do anything we couldn't have another room. We had to wait up to the next morning.
The next morning we ask the cleaning lady who couldn't understand a word of English to clean the room. we came back in the afternoon to pack out or luggage. As the room was always so dirty I wend to the next shop, I bought some cleaning stuff and I cleaned the room myself.

The second problem came the next morning as we wanted to use the swimming pool or lie down on the beach and that we realized that an hotel next door was being build. So it was impossible to use the hotel premises for the noise from the construction was so loud. So we had to to pay to get a chair in an other hotel more quite.

The hotel boost to be next to the beach but forget to say that it is impossible to open the window
Impossible to get some fresh air we have to live on air conditioning all the time, which is a nuisance and a pity since we are a few foots from the see.

There is no isolation between the rooms you can follow your neighbor in their more intimate
Life.

The must stupid thing arrived on our fifth days : as we entered our room at 10 pm coming back from the restaurant. We were surprised to see in our room a suit case an handbag which did not belong to us. They've obviously been brought there by mistake. Not very conscientious the hotel personal. I tried to call the reception but I had only an answering machine.

This hotel spoiled our holidays.

For sure this hotel needs a real manager and needs to be renovated, for this price without being able to open the window and without balcony is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Can be used as overnight stop. The girls in the spa are very professional. But there is no Sauna !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for being our recent guest at The Palms Hotel & Spa and for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely regret to hear about the various inconveniences you encountered while being our guest and that we failed to exceed your expectations for an overall relaxing stay. I would love the opportunity to further discuss your stay with you in detail, if you would please be so kind to contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Alma

1,076 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Polish first
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at The Palms for work in March 2013. I was expecting the hotel to be much nicer than it was. The room was large but mediocre - I thought it could have used a facelift. There were just some minor details that made it look dated. It was clean, however, which is most important.

The location of the hotel was interesting. It is right on the beach and the boardwalk is right behind it. However, there are no other restaurants to speak of within walking distance. My colleague and I had to walk 30 minutes away in traffic to get to the shopping area where all the restaurants are. The food and drinks at the hotel are quite expensive but we did eat dinner there and the quality of the food was very good.

It is not the The Palms fault, but there was construction going on next door and there was incessant pounding and grinding for hours. It stopped around 4-5 pm.

Keep in mimd it is $30 per night to park at The Palms. It may be comparable to other hotels in the area, but I thought that was very expensive.

I have stayed at other hotels in Miami which I thought were much nicer and in a better location than The Palms. If I were going on vacation here I would probably choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on opposite side of where construction is going on (rennovating hotel next door)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. I appreciate your positive feedback on the cleanliness of our recently renovated guestrooms and the wholesome quality of the cuisine at Essensia
Unfortunately, I regret that your stay at The Palms was not exactly as you had anticipated. As a matter of fact our parking fee is less than most hotels in our competitive set. I wish parking was more plentiful in this area but as you can imagine this will never be the case. As far as the construction, we are looking forward to the enhancement to the surrounding areas that this new property will bring, however, intermittent noise disturbances are heard outside of our property. Our tropical settings and luxurious amenities within the hotel continue to be of great charm and enjoyment to all of our guests. Our staff is truly dedicated to ensuring that each guest has a unique experience and receives the very best in our genuine hospitality and care, along with an amazing serene experience in our tropical settings. Hopefully, you will reconsider our hotel whenever your travels bring you back to Miami Beach.
Trinity, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Check in was a breeze and they held our bags while we were at the SoBeFood show. The room was great. The bathrooms were separated by doors so you had some privacy but the doors had frosted glass panels..Loved the ability to save water .Great patio for breakfast dining.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guests during the South Beach Food Show. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am pleased that check in was a breeze and that you enjoyed your stay. Conserving water and many other environmentally friendly initiatives are part of our core values making The Palms the responsible corporate citizen that it is. Whenever your travels bring you to Miami Beach we hope to welcome you back to The Palms Hotel & Spa!
Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Bad experience. Weather very cold! No heating at the hotel! When I have asked for I heater i was told they do not have (and I was paying more than $ 400 per day!). They answered, "well this is Miami".... . It is better not to talk about it!
Imagine!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and choosing to stay with us! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the lack of heater during your stay. Thank you for providing this feedback, it allows us to evaluate service and standards to our guests and ensure a pleasant stay. I hope that next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach to welcome you back and provide the high level of service and personal attention that The Palms is known for!
maplewood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I and another couple went there last year.We had a terrific time.The rooms are a little small but very neat.Great location not in the heart of South Beach.A short cab ride will take you to some very nice restaurants or stay here at Essenia which is also a fine restaurant.The pool and the beach are steps away from the hotel.We will be coming back again this summer.The rooms are a lttle bit cheaper in the summer with the Summer Bliss package which is offered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Much appreciation for the positive feedback! It was certainly a pleasure to have you as our guests again and we look forward to welcoming you back this summer!
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I just returned from spending 9 nights at the hotel, including two weekends. Overall, it is a nice hotel with updated rooms. My largest complaint was that I asked for a quiet room when I booked the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel they gave me one right across from the elevator. I immediately went down to change my room and was told that the hotel was booked up so I would have to change the next night. The 1st night was very noisy and when I went to switch the next day I was told that they had no rooms. It was not until I started to raise my voice that they found a room for me. Then when I went to that room the front desk told me that they booked me in a room they shouldn't have and then I had to move again. The third room was nice too and not near an elevator. Such a hassle and it was amazing how they "found" rooms when I pushed back.

Here was the good and the bad:

Plusses:
* Nice rooms (but smaller)
* Large bathrooms with nice showers
* Heated pool (it was cool the week I went)
* Good location
* Beach access
* Friendly staff

Minuses:
* Have the room change issue (see above)
* Noise (could here the neighbors all week)
* Construction (A hotel is being built right next door. You here the construction all day at the pool.)
* Pool Closing - pool area closed early on Saturday (3/9/13) due to a wedding. People were not happy including myself. Why do we pay $300 plus a night so somone can have a wedding and close the pool area for the entire night. Major turnoff.
* Room Cleaning Issues - room was not made up one day at 5:00 PM so had to call (we were out of the room all day), one day the dirty towels were still left on the floor, and one day no clean towels were left in room (had to call for them)
* Refrigerator - when we booked we were told that a refrig was available free of charge. When we got there we had to ask two days in a row for it and then they said it would be $10 (until we complained again and then it was free).

I liked the hotel but would not stay there again. I will take the $4,000 plus I spent and stay somewhere else. The room issue and the pool closing were a major turnoffs.

Room Tip: Avoid the side where construction is going on and avoid rooms across from the elevator
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for not only being our recent guest at The Palms Hotel & Spa but also for taking the time to share your guest perspective and experiences. First and foremost, I apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I assure you Guest satisfaction is paramount at The Palms and what you have experienced is completely atypical. We do pride ourselves in providing excellent service and I thank you for making us aware of your room change and housekeeping incidents which have been addressed with the appropriate department heads. I was pleased with your comments about our friendly staff and hope that next time your travels bring you to Miami Beach to welcome you back and provide you with the high level of service and personal attention that The Palms is known for!
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I were supposed to be staying at Circa 39 but when we got there they had moved us to the Palms - yeeha. It was a fantastic hotel, beautiful gardens/pool area with access to the beach. Great bar (especially the staff) good food, but they do add 18% tip to all the bills - it would be nice to be able to decide how much of a tip is due myself. The room was lovely (I noted some people think the rooms are small but I thought it was fine) and had a great shower area if not much space in front of the basin - swings and roundabouts. However, considering this is such an upmarket hotel the sound insulation in the room was not up to standard. Not only could I hear the traffic noise but I could also hear noise from the room above. Since I didn't pay the going rate for this hotel I didn't complain but if I had I wouldn't have been very happy. The only other niggle was when I asked if we could have a late, late checkout (our flight wasn't until midnight) one person said yes but we would need to wait until the following day to confirm, then when I did they said yes also but at double the cost. It wasn't as if they didn't have the room available, they did, they just wanted too much money for it. Needless to say we didn't pay so instead of making some money on the room it was left empty - bad business decision on the part of the hotel and left a sour taste in my mouth. Still a lovely hotel but not sure I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor and heard a lot of street noise, I assume rooms on the higher floors migh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. It sure is a fantastic hotel as you have stated and it was our pleasure to have you as our guests! I am happy to read that you enjoyed our beautiful gardens and pool areas. Our late departure fees are very competitive with other local hotels, regardless I am sorry this took away from your experience. We thank you for providing this feedback, it allows us to evaluate service and standards for our guests and ensure a pleasant stay. I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Palms Hotel and Spa whenever your travels bring you to Miami Beach.
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!