“Wedding on March 18, 2011” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3025 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #53 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wedding on March 18, 2011”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I can't think of a complaint to make on The Palms Hotel. The staff was fabulous. They were friendly and attentive. This includes the bellman, front desk, waiters, spa staff and even the phone operators :). The beach and pool area was fantastic. The food was great and reasonably priced for a hotel like this.

The best part of it all was my wedding. Throughout the entire planning, Monica Ciffoni was unbelievable. She is attentive, friendly and patient. Paul (the wedding Captain) was also wonderful. He made me feel relaxed and calm before walking down the aisle as well as throughout the entire evening. I couldn't have asked for better people to assist in the coordination of my wedding. I can't thank the staff enough for their gracious hospitality and wedding experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Seville, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

The Palms Hotel is beautiful! Great pool area. Nice lounge. I was very impressed with the whole experience at this hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and in particular , the Concierge Manager Dora. She helped us out so many times - recommending great restaurants for different types of cuisine, knew the exact dollar amount of cab fares to clubs , bars etc, spoke many languages...I saw her translating numorous times.

Watching her speak to guests in all these languages was astonishing!
She had a smile on her face everytime i passed by the concierge desk and was terribly eager to assist. Another employee of this hotel who seems to like her job too is Paola at the Front desk. If all hotels had employees like Dora & Paola there would be only 5 Star Hotel services everywhere.

I'm looking forward to spend my next vacation and The Palms in Miami Beach.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Upon returning from my annual "Girls' Weekend Trip" where we stayed in Miami Beach at The Palms Hotel & Spa, I decided to wait a few weeks before writing my review because we had such mixed experiences there. After giving it some thought, I ranked the Palms as average and the following is why:

Upon arrival at The Palms, the bellmen immediately ran out to our taxi and gathered our bags from the taxi's trunk and handed us our bag claim ticket. No problem there. We then had a smooth check-in for our rooms and then went to head up to then when we found out that a couple of the hotel's elevators were broken - this wasn't a good sign. This caused a true traffic jam of people waiting to take the elevator up. Additionally, it didn't appear that the hotel had a service elevator - so the housekeeping staffs, bellmen with luggage carts and guests were are vying for the same operating elevators. My friends and I went to our respective rooms (Between 8 of us, we had booked a bank of 4 rooms.) Well, nearly an hour passed and still no delivery of our bags - the front dest had said they would be delivered shortly. We decided to call down to the bellmen area - and we promised they would be up shortly. Time passed, still no bags. So we decided to go down to see for ourselves. The elevators were now all working. Went to the luggage area and no, our bags had not been on the way up - they were still sitting there. We asked for our bags - to which the bellmen looked as if he was waiting for a tip - which we gave - he then got our bags and didn't even make the pretense of taking them to our rooms for us - we wented up carting them up ourselves - Really not a good sign of our hotel choice.

The rooms - out of the 4 rooms that we reserved for the weekend - 2 rooms were very nice in size decent sized bathroom facilities. The other 2 rooms were not - much smaller and the smallest bathrooms ever. These smaller rooms had what we referred to as a "toliet sink" - meaning on top of the toliet tank was a sink - the strangest thing ever - so small that you could barely wash your hands in it. Also, both of these rooms had problems with their toliets continously running and maintenance had to be called in over our stay. (All rooms had minimal bathroom counter space.) While 2 of the rooms were way less desirable than the other 2, the room prices were all the same. Which leads me into the room cost.

Out of the 11 years of "Girls' Weekends" in various parts of the US (NYC, Chicago, Park City, Key West, San Fran, etc.) - our rooms at The Palm were the highest price we ever paid per night - approx. $ 380 per night including tax & resort fees. While this seems to be the average for Miami Beach, $ 380 a night for our overall experience at The Palms is really not justified.

Housekeeping - When housekeeping showed up and actually cleaned the room, they did a good job. Out of the 4 rooms reserved during the weekend - each of our rooms missed getting cleaned at least once.

Hotel Restaurant - Very good food and reasonable prices (for a resort hotel).
Hotel Lounge & Bar - Good food at reasonable prices. Okay drinks at high prices - Beware of asking for Cosmos made with Absolut Vodka - $ 20.00 (tip included)

Pool Area & Private Beach - These are really the highlights of The Palms - beautiful beach area and very nice pool area. Very enjoyable - felt like you were in your own private oasis, with exception of Pool Police listed below.

Pool Area Drink/Snack Police - Probably the biggest complaint about the hotel. Starting from the moment we sat down in the Pool Area - workers began patrolling the area looking to see if we brought in contraband drinks - one of us made the mistake of bringing down a can of coke from our room along with a small bag of pretzels - immediately a worker came over and was looking at our bags, etc. No hello, smile, etc. Didn't say anything - but then awhile later another guy came up and announced, "No outside drinks or food are allowed in the pool area, however, you are allowed to have these things in the privacy of your own room" What????? First of all, nothing was posted in plain view of bringing anything in - second of all, a member of group had a cocktail next to her that she had bought at the pool bar for a cool $ 15.00! Thoughout our time at the pool area, there was constant patrolling of these dolts. Why I say dolts, we did end up order lunch at the pool area 2 of the 4 days there and each time the worker didn't have a personality and got the orders wrong. For the price of the hotel rooms, price of the drinks and food - I would expect the workers to have a personality and to be customer oriented.

Hotel Common Areas - Very, very nice. Nice sitting areas, lobby, etc. Another high point

Location - Stinks - Off the beaten path - no where land - yes, you could walk to more populated places like Lincoln Road, but you had to walk through construction areas - very, very undesirable.

Spa - Out of the 8 of us, 4 people took advantage of the Spa - prices were about the norm - but no one came out raving - ordinary - not good or bad.

Concierge - Very helpful. The gentleman that worked the desk during the day was very helpful as well as the lady that assisted us one evening.

Elevators - Ongoing problems throughout our entire stay. At least 2 of the 4 days we were there, one of two of the hotel's 4 elevators were broken, causing major jams. Also, I noticed the orange inspector warning stickers on a couple of the elevators - just like a couple of other reviewers noticed.

Front Desk - Average - Very nice - but definitely could use some training. When I arrived, I worked with the clerk indicating that I would be sharing the cost of the room with another friend. She took my credit card, input all the info, including me name and assured me that I would be charged half of the weekend's room cost and any lounge/restaurant charges I would sign for over the weekend. Well, the morning of our departure the bill came and no - my friend was billed for everything 100% - nothing for me. We went to the front desk and they had nothing on me - no credit card, etc.???? The manager on duty stepped in and proceeded to tell me their procedures that they wouldn't have taken my card when I checked it, blah, blah, blah and they could only have one card on file, etc. Finally, after a bit, of running my card once, twice, etc. - things got straighted out and my card was charged appropriately - but never once did the manager apologize for confusion, thank me for my stay, etc.

So to sum it up, while I thoughly enjoyed South Beach and plan to go there again - The Palms will not be on my agenda. Overall opinion - The Palms is fortunate that they are the receipients of a lot of foreign travelers that visit Miami - because foreign currency goes a long way in the US. If international visitors dry up they will definitely have to step up their game if they were to compete for domestic travelers.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Hinsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

The hotel was was great for us as it was gorgeous inside and out as ell as it had the perfect location. Far enough from Southbeach so it was peaceful, but close enough to walk to it all via boardwalk even for our 5 year old. The service at the hotel was top notch! Smiling faces everywhere! Nothing at all was a problem at this hotel, which was nice, furthermore, the food was excellent!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

This hotel is a beautiful oasis amongst the noise and some trash of miami beach. The 15-20 min walk to Lincoln Road is pleasant along the beach and we did it almost everyday we were there. There is a convenient CVS and car rentals and other major hotels. Private beach is nice and far from crowds. The walls are pretty thin but the room is spacious and comfortable. Bathroom is small but nice with a big shower. Excellent breakfast and service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

The hotel owes me $2,100. They've charged me double for rooms and fees. They told me they put a card hold on my visa to be sure everything went through and that my account would be credited within 7-10 business days. It has yet to be credited and the accounting department is never avaliable to take my calls. At this point, this hotel has stolen $2,100 of my money and has shown little interest in taking care of this matter.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

If you are looking for a place to get away from it all without breaking the bank this is the place..food...service...rooms...all wonderful.

Overall experience .better than MGM and Ritz (ATL).

There was some slight construction but it was hardly noticeable.

Just go...you won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to The Palms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!