“Great for the whole family!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 146 Activities in Miami Beach
Type: Tours, Walking tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Marty & Paula offer a series of five different Art Deco walking tours throughout Miami Beach. We take you on a journey of discovery as we show you the hidden secrets and gems that our wonderful slice of paradise has to offer. Tours are personalized to give you the ultimate historic, architectural and greenspace experience -- as well all the 'back stories' from Al Capone to Miami Vice and Versace. Marty and Paula are happy to meet you at your South Beach hotel to begin your tour, and will work with any special logistical issues, such as going to/coming from a cruise ship, so that you can experience first hand what makes Miami Beach the art deco capital of the world -- even if you have limited time.
Troy, Michigan
“Great for the whole family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was our first trip to Miami and with only a day before we left on a cruise we wanted to get a real flavor for Miami's architecture. Although there were plenty of tour companies we chose this one because Marty was to easy to work with and willing to tailor our walk to our family which includes two children 3 and 7. When we met up with him on the day of tour we were not disappointed - he had a great energy and helped get my son involved in the tour; he could tell you want a building eyebrow is if you asked him. I liked that it was a private tour so we were able to go at our own pace but still managed to see everything in. Probably our only troublespot was we had a stroller for our youngest and found we had to carry the stroller up steps at some of the hotels. It was definitely worth it though to be able to tour some of the beautiful hotel lobbies to see the tile work and mosaics. At the end of the tour Marty gave us some insider tips of family friendly restaurants which we were definitely thankful for. Our family had a fabulous time and would definitely recommend this fascinating tour.

Visited April 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Marty M, Owner at Art Deco Walks with Marty and Paula - Private Tours, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Art Deco Walks tour are for kids, too, and we go out of our way to make our tours as interesting for younger kids & teens as they are for their parents! The Lincoln Road Revisited tour which this lovely Michigan family, who were leaving the next day for a Disney cruise in the Caribbean, opted for, is particuarly suited to the younger visitor. Yes, there are "eyebrows" on all the deco buildings, but there are also great swimming pools to see, hundreds of bright green parrots to watch and listen to, and an Art Deco bank converted into a clothing storewhere kids can go into the old bank vault and get their pictures taken! All of this, plus wonderful views from the top floor of the Herzog & de Meuron parking installation, followed by a great burger and smoothie lunch at an outdoor cafe just around the corner. Bring on the kids!

“worth every penny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have to echo the other reviews. Marty was my guide. He was inexhaustibly energetic and clearly loves what he does. I booked this tour because it's my first trip to Miami and because of tripadvisor rating. There were 4 of us on the tour, which was nice because it was easy to hear and we could get around SoBe quickly. Marty explained the basics of art deco but wove in anecdotes about history and pop culture that kept it fresh. The tour took 2 hours but went by fast. Because of the small group we were able to go inside places to see their extraordinary interiors. It was a great intro to Miami Beach.
Caveat: the tour started at 5:00 pm. I didn't know this, but it is very warm and humid in Miami in the afternoon. Wear cool, comfortable clothing and maybe bring some water and shades. You're gonna sweat. Also, be ready to walk a lot.

Visited May 2013
Marty M, Owner at Art Deco Walks with Marty and Paula - Private Tours, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Paula and I are so happy that you got great value from your tour - and we always provide email tour follow-up for each client in the way of Art Deco notes to help refresh memories when you're back home. Our tour times are customized to meet the client's schedule, and we are happy to meet you at your South Beach hotel to begin your tour. As the weather gets warmer, we recoommend early (10 am Morning Sunlight tours)) or later (5 pm Twilight tours) tours, as it is simply more comfortable to walk around and enjoy the sights at these times. Thanks again!
Olympia
“Marty Mueller Art Deco District -- FAB!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I know Marty from his days as an overseas country director and I had the chance to take one of his Art Deco Walking Tours in South Beach Miami. (And I've been making trips to S. Fla for much of my life.) Boy did I learn a lot with continuous laughter, beautiful sights, and an extraordinarily colorful flow of rare insight from Marty! Clearly, this is a tour guide who is in his element and has worked hard to satisfy the range of expectations among tour goers. I _most_Highly_recommend this tour to anyone planning a mid-morning exploration of the So.Be. scene!!! Also, Marty's very special eating suggestion has sent me to heaven and back (although it wasn't until 10 hours later that I indulged myself there for dinner: 1957 Havana). Enjoy!

Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“SOBE Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

On a recent visit to Miami, as an Art Deco Tragic, I was fortunate to join Marty's tour and learn the concise history of an uninhabited mangrove swamp turned into the renowned "Art Deco Capital of the World", as it is known today. We were introduced to the exterior and interior of the hotels in SOBE, where the architectural style was explained in detail, the locations where movies had been made and the residences of some very famous people. Thank you Marty, I will be recommending your tour to my fellow Australians.

Narelle Lambert, Art Deco Society, Sydney Australia - April 10, 2013

Visited March 2013
Marty M, Owner at Art Deco Walks with Marty and Paula - Private Tours, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Paula and I are always extremely honored when visitors who know a lot about Art Deco already choose our company to guide them through the wonders of Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road. This reviewer, active in the Art Deco Society of Sydney, Australia, was on her way to the biannual Art Deco World Congress, held this year in Havana. The challenge for us, the owners of the company (and the only people who will ever be your guides) is to inform and delight seasoned clients, such as this one, who bring so much to the tour. Clearly, we are succeeding in excellent fashion, so why don't you "come walk with us" and find out for yourselves all the great things that our tours have to offer!
perth,wa
5 attraction reviews
“Flexible walking tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We arranged our walking tour by email with Paula. She was very flexible and arranged a tour time to suit us. The tour was fantastic, Paula was very knowledgeable and pitched her info to us perfectly. Unfortunately because of the time of the year (busy spring break) we couldn't have access to many hotel lobbies or rooftops but Paula still provided an excellent tour. We had our 5month old infant with us in a stroller and Paula was very flexible when we had parenting duties! We learnt a great deal from Paula on art deco and the history of the area. Highly recommend Paula as a tour guide.

Visited March 2013