“simple, stark and clean” 3 of 5 stars

Aqua Hotel and Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1530 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #178 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Boston
“simple, stark and clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stark and simple is what you'll get. The room is large and clean and the bed was comfortable. There was a plastic table and chairs. The bathroom is dated- the fixtures have peeling surfaces but were clean. The shower was hot and ample water pressure. Linoleum floors were clean. I didn't see dirt or webs or other junk hanging from the walls- just paint. Noise was not a problem. The housekeepers spray too much room freshner - which seems pervasive throughout. While I do not speak any spanish, I found the desk clerks responsive. Valet parking at $20 for 34 hrs is a good deal- you do have to pay that separately and not on the room charge. The continental breakfast was also simple - the croissants were fresh and decent coffee. The price was good though you might try hotels on nearby Ocean Drive, though that is a busy area at night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GREEN1671, Public Relations Manager at Aqua Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is great to hear you enjoyed our hotel . We are happy that our staff was friendly and helpful, as we do take great pride in the service we provide our guests. We are happy to hear that you liked the layout of your room and bathroom, We are happy that you enjoyed your breakfast with us . We thank you again for your review and we hope you make the decision to visit us again in the future.
Best Regards,

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
ann arbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I chose this hotel as it was across street from Loew's and near CC. It was old, run down and very stark. The room had laminate flooring with white melamine desk and nightstands and a tv mounted in a ceiling corner and NOTHING ELSE. No pictures, mirrors, AC/Heat control..... Bath was circa 1930 with stool (broken seat) and exposed pipes coming our of wall, pedestal sink with little hot water and rusty medicine chest. Staff was not very nice and seemed to be deferrential to spanish speaking clientel. Continental breakfast was store bought white and brown bread, lenders type bagels and a cereal dispensor. TV sounds from adjacent rooms came thru walls and duct work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas, NV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

was in Miami for business and a quick one night turn-around after scheduling several meetings. The start to my stay was arriving at 7:45am on the red eye from Las Vegas and even though I hoped the room would be ready, I had little hope. Sure enough, my room would not be ready until the afternoon so asked the gentleman working the check-in if I could leave my bag until check in so I didn't need to drag it around with me. He rather rudely stated "You can put it in that room over there, but we can't guarantee it will be here when you get back." Wow! So I dragged my bag 0.8 miles to the Convention Center and left it there instead.
Checking in around 3:30 pm, I did nothing more than open the door, hang up my clothes and left. I did notice very clean and pleasant common areas and although spacious, my room was very spare, not many furnishings and no rug/carpet. After dinner I got back to the room and noticed the bathroom was horrible. EVERYTHING in the room was painted with white latex paint, walls, sink, tiles, tub, everything, and it was peeling in several places. The room was very loud, since there was not much in the room to dampen it. No ice bucket to be found, the pillows were very thin and uncomfortable and the "curtain" across the front window was a shower curtain! Next morning the breakfast buffet included with the room was so thin (coffee, cereal and pastry) I left and went to a diner down the street.
Sorry, but at the price for this room ($244 after taxes and fees) I expect something more. I recommend they put more money into making the guest rooms comfortable and less into looking cool like the fancy "surf board" check in desk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
California, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel is no bad, need a lot of renovations, bathroom are the most important, anyways, we had a good time there, Alejandra the fornt desk clek was amazing, very clean, good breakfast, good wifi.

Valet parking very slow, but you have a parking garage across the street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The guy who took the photos of this hotel to put on the website deserves an Oscar for his camera skills! The photos in no way on earth are a true reflection of the actual hotel.
Thank goodness we were only there for an overnight stay.As a party of four adults,we booked for two bed deluxe and ended up with one king bed,a laughable sofa and a....floor.There was a towel stuffed in the ceiling air vent,a half can of beer in the "kitchenette" and goodness knows what in the shower! Only good thing was the valet parking.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
off the grid
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in 2012 but im just getting around to leaving a comment. The hotel was at a decent location but we had to walk a few blocks to get to the "busy" part of the beach which is closer to about 8th st. The room we stayed in was very dorm like, no carpet, no microwave or anything. The bathroom was small and the shower was clogged so it would take really long to drain after each use, which is annoying when there are 3 other people you are staying with. the fridge was really tiny and housekeeping would take forever to get us towels. The hot tub is so small that only a few of us could fit at a time. it was clean for the most part no bed bugs or anything like that which was great!. oh they also talk about breakfast, i woke up early and strolled to the "restaurant" only to find terrible orange flavored drink, water, corn flakes, and watery milk. talk about a waste of time, i couldve stayed in bed!
Its not a terrible hotel and the prices are fairly reasonable, but just the walk alone would make me not book this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed 2 nights, very close to everything on Miami, for the price I dont think you can beat it. 3 min walk to ocean dr. 5 min walk to Lincoln. 1 min walk to the beach.

If you are looking for a cheap inexpensive hotel that is right in the middle of everything than this is the place, dont expect much other than a place to sleep, and a small continental breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Aqua Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!