“Loved It!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Red South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Red South Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3010 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #96 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City
“Loved It!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Me and my partner stayed in the Habana Libre for 5 nights during the annual Winter Music Conference in Miami Beach. We truly enjoyed our stay there. The staff did everything they could to ensure we had a pleasant stay. And the cleaning staff was also excellent and did a really good job of cleaning our train wreck of a party room every morning.

The location, to me, is great. It's close enough to all the madness that is South Beach, but far enough so that when you come back at night you find yourself in a comparatively quiet area compared to South Beach. And the beach near Habana Libre is just as nice as South Beach and not nearly as crowded. And the beach near the hotel has a boardwalk which South Beach doesn't have. A really lovely boardwalk overlooking beautiful Miami Beach.

I will say though that the hotel is showing wear and tear. But they are in the process of renovating the entire property and renovations are scheduled to be completed by this fall. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite and it was perfect for us. Two nice flat screen televisions, a fold out couch, a dining table and a small kitchenette with all the dishes and pots and pans you could possibly need on a vacation. But the carpet in the rooms in a bit worn and the fabric on the sofa was also worn. The management acknowledged this and assured me that new carpeting and new sofas were part of the renovations. For the price we paid for a 1 bedroom suite, I feel we got a good deal. I don't think you could find comparable accomodations at the price we paid.

I will definitely return to this hotel. I love Miami Beach and I love the Habana Libre!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Greek first
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

I never stayed in a place like this:dirty,small rooms,noisy,complete lack of amenities.
Location is not the best either too far from everything. Stay away!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We thought we were in a nice place until clothing articles and shoes were stolen out of our locked room! Hotel has not tried to correct this as of yet either. We never leave our valuables or purses in the room anyway-even to go down to breakfast. But I thought leaving our shoes and clothing in the room while we were gone would be ok. These weren't expensive items either, they were old and used.

Be very, very careful if you stay here. Even in a locked room with a "do not disturb sign" out items can be stolen. Plus this hasn't seemed to bother the management.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

Where to start? Small dirty rooms, no working air conditioning (in Miami), no fridge, microwave or any amenities. Noisy occupants (including hallway fights), no relieve from management, actually we were told off when we complained. On the second day, bed was made, bathroom not touched, trash cans not emptied. Had to request extra pillows and new towels. Two elevators, only one working and takes 4 people at time. Stairs are for emergency only. No parking, no bar, no restaurant. Don't be fooled by their description and/or pictures.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I didn’t stay once I checked into my hotel room, the reviews were not correct because the hotel claims to have made updates, maybe they are still working on them; however, in the suite the couch was torn, the room smelled of urine, the wall paper was coming off the wall, the couch had stains, the bedding was old, there was a half bottle of iced tea, there was one wine glass, the carpeting on the front steps to the building was also torn, and the tub had stains too. I did however find their staff to be the best staff on south beach. They have fantastic customer service, so if price is something you are watching and you don’t care about your hotel room, stay here the staff will be amazing and help you as much as humanly possible to give you the best vacation..

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

We overnighted at Habana Libre while in transit between flight to Miami
and getting on a cruise.

We were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the room and lack of
cockroaches. They did well to honour our request for a bath with a tub.

Surprised to pay a $6 surcharge for "pool towels, use of the WiFi,
breakfast, etc."

Location ... on the north side of the hotel a low apartment building, VERY close, completely blocks the view. Avoid rooms on floors 2 and 3 on the north side oif you can.

The room itself, while clean, was quite small and definitely "dated".
Looks like facelifts are in progress, at least in the public areas?
Sound insulation between the rooms is poor (ours had a door to an
adjoining room).

Breafkast --- not bad, cold cereal, toast, eggs, ham.

Walk to the boardwalk and the beach is quite accessible although you
are are some 15 blocks away from the good restaurants. The neighbourood seems safe for walking at night.

The pool, which we did not use, looked to be a little dated but clean.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

We made our choice based on tripadvisor reviews and I think we got what we expected.
We traveled as two couples. Not everything we liked though:
- ROOMS: both rooms had old and noisy air conditioner and were close to old and noisy elevators. It made our first night unbearable. I complained right away at morning and got new room on next day. But it was a condition that I have to pack all my stuff and move it downstairs. Second room was OK but smaller (we did not care about size as we only slept there) My friends discovered that TV did not work and floor lamp had no bulb. They first were promised a new bulb, then new TV, then new room. They only got new bulb, lol.

- BREAKFAST: breakfast area is too small, we had to sit in foyer. Breakfast is a buffet. Cold sliced turkey, cold eggs, under toasted bread and jam with coffee and orange juice. I could eat only bread and jam and I was not alone in that so it was lack of toasts.

- SERVICE: stuff was very polite to me and my GF, but our friends did not get anything what they asked other then electric bulb. Hard to say, but I guess, it was fine.

- LOCATION: location is good if you are there for sun bathing and care only about access to the beach. If you want to party, it's too far from everything and you need to take a taxi ($5-7) or drive yourself and park a car (up to $20 depending on the time of day.)

- CONCLUSION: we had very tide budget but got what we expected. I would recommend this hotel only to non demanding people. My overall experience: 3/5

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Red South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!