“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red South Beach Hotel

Booking.com HotelTravel.com
Red South Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3010 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Formerly Habana Libre Beach Resort) (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #72 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the start of a two week Florida and cruise holiday.I liked the hotel, it was comfortable and clean and I didn't see any roaches or bugs of any kind. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. The price was also excellent. It is not right in the heart of things but you can walk down to the art deco area on the boardwalk. Cabs are plentiful and cheap. We used valet parking which was very efficient. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

832 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

You truly get what you pay for so for that reason and the reviews I read prior to staying here, I knew what to expect.

The good: The service is the best part of this hotel. This begins with the doormen/bellhops to the front desk attendant, Charlie, who was very polite and helpful - she makes it worth it. The beach is (almost) literally across the street - you couldn't get any closer if you tried. The actual location of the hotel isn't too bad either if you want to be further from South Beach's strip - it's just a cab ride away.

The bad: The lobby smells like mildew. Out of the only two elevators there, only one works and it is slow. The hallways have a cheap motel look and I'm leery of any place with really dim lighting as I'm wondering what they are attempting to hide. The bathroom had no ventilation system so taking a hot shower involved leaving the non-screened window open to receive air.

The ugly: We had a suite which included a mini kitchen. Upon inspection of the counter tops, there were tiny bugs everywhere! It was quite disgusting. Also on our first night while getting ready to head out a HUGE roach crawled in through the door crevice. This reminded me why I'm not a fan of dark lights.

Although we didn't see anymore roaches, I'm sure they were there. I don't know that I would stay here again but if good service is what you like, you'll appreciate what they offer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My fiance and I chose to have a private wedding ceremony on the beach in Miami. After looking online for a reasonably priced hotel we decided on The Red Hotel. I must share that we booked a petite queen room. Of course we would have loved a bigger room but for financial reasons we did not book one. Once we arrived at the hotel I was generally speaking to the front desk clerk and sharing with her that we were from Memphis,TN and there for our wedding. Another employee (Charlie, who is the best!!!) overheard and generously upgraded our room to a beautiful suite!!! We were and still are more than greatful!!! The entire staff helped in numerous ways to make our wedding truly special and memorable. The restuarant had great food, the entire staff is extremely friendly, and the location is great! My new husband and I got way more than we ever expected!! We cant wait to visit Miami again and will without a doubt be staying at THE RED HOTEL!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are beautiful!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel was really beautifully designed,nice pool, lobby & restaurant the front desk staff was nice but I was disappointed in other aspects of the hotel.

The only elevator they have has two doors. One side where you enter and the other side that opens for your floor. That same door opens on the main floor to an area for staff and equipment or something. It's was really awkward and sometimes you had to wait of the staff to get on from the other side. Being the only elevator it was really,really slow all day with people getting on and off and small.

The room wasn't bad except some little ants I kept seeing and I didn't know it was smoking non-smoking so it smelled like smoke the whole time which kind of sucked because it was a pretty room. I had to keep the window to my room open at night although that was my fault for not asking but there was nothing on the website that gave the option. Some of the staff were a little unprofessional goofing around while guest are around.

The bathroom to my room's sink was built flush up against the wall but the draw wouldn't pull out enough to put stuff in because the door frame blocked it which was disappointing because I needed places in the bathroom to put things. There was a drip in the tube and the knob was difficult to pull out to start the shower.

The safe was up high in the closet which for someone 5'1 like myself made it hard to reach without a chair and there weren't any in my room. I used the luggage stand to balance on. Other then that I would like to come back it's by the beach & rental bikes to ride down to the shopping around.

Room Tip: Ask for smoking or none smoking Pool view rooms can be noisy when windows open because of traffic...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I travel on a regular basis and most of my experiences are good but I couldn't wait to check out of this hotel, after a 6 night stay. The service is just ok nothing to rave about. Pool side service was terrible, the waiters never asked if we wanted to order anything, we had to track them down so that they could our orders. The food in the restaurant was really good. The rooms where clean with comfortable beds and pillows, I did sleep nicely every night. But we couldn't control the temp. in our room they had to switch on and off the blower in some other room when our room got cold. The pool was nice especially with two kids in tow. Water was clean and not freezing. Now for the bad experience and their utter disregard to make good. 7 of us along with my Wife and two kids got stuck in the elevator. We remained calm but my son started to get nervous after about 10 minutes so we needed to get out. Finally after about 20 mintues the doors opened but we noticed that the elevator hadn't been inspected since March of 2011. The certificate was covered with day's weather information. When I returned to the room I called the front desk to speak to manager but of course he was gone and the front desk almost said it was our fault because we had 7 people in the elevator when there was a 5 person limit. They later slipped a note under our door with coupons for complientary breakfast but after we ate it was only 50% off not complimentary. Manager was suppose to call me but never did. Location is good for families but if you want to hang out around Ocean drive or Lincoln Road it's a long way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RedSouthBeachHotel, Public Relations Manager at Red South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Jesco74,

I am sorry to hear that you and your family were stuck in the elevator. We do our best to post the load limits for our guests. We have a sign both inside and outside the small elevator to inform guests that there is a 5 person limit. Unfortunately some of our guests choose to disregard posted warning notices. As I read your review is seems there were 7 people plus you and your family. The elevator was down for 7min 45 seconds according to the elevator memory log. Having said that I am happy to announce that this past week we began a complete modernization of the elevators. We have begun with the small elevator and once complete we will begin on the large elevator. We are very excited that we will soon have new elevators to serve our guests. I am also sorry for your misunderstanding of the breakfast. The breakfast vouchers are for a free continental or simple cooked breakfast or you can choose to order a la cart and receive 50% off your bill. I am upset to hear that you had some negative experiences, we never like our guests to leave unhappy and I am sorry that we weren’t able to give you a fantastic experience. Hopefully if you return you can ride the new elevators all day long without any problems. Have a wonderful day.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We arrived very late but were offered supper by the pool with a logia chair for my granddaughter to sleep on whilst we ate the most delicious meal. Rooms etc quirky small but very clean and convenient.staff very helpful

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Rooms look great on website but were the size of a matchbox. The walls were paper thin. It really wasn't my money worth.
These rooms were a waste of money.
Not to mention I paid for the first night with my card to hold the room. When I got there they tried to charge me again. So because if their mishap. I didn't trust to use my card, so we decided to pay with cash for the remaining of the stay. At checkout they tried to charge me for another night. I was beyond pissed with this hotel. I will not recommend anyone to stay here. It's not worth it!!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Red South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!