“Good but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Chelsea
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   944 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #134 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Michigan
“Good but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Nothing much to say about this place. It was clean. Beds were made. Shower worked. No elevator sucked, I had a lot of luggage. Also, you get a run down tv from the 90's. Again, nothing special, but hey, a very clean room and a nice comfy bed. The beach is right across the street, what more could you ask for?

• Stayed March 2013

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Branford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

was great ...... staff went out there way was very helpful, rooms where very nice they clean them so great after every night had no trouble, happy hour was great 3 out 3 nights , was near every spot to party perfect spring break spot in your 20's pictures match perfect that very hard find with other places all people i went with would stay time and time again it was great time staff help us find thing to do what to see thanks to hotel chelsea for make me trip great

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is a great value for the central location in SOBE. The check in was speedy and very friendly. The rooms were small but very clean. All of the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We took advantage of happy hour and for the price of drinks in the area I would say this is a must. I will admit that the music can be quite loud but there is nice seating outside and it is a bit quieter. The airport shuttle is a great bonus, I wish they would do a shuttle service to the Miami port as well. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a short stay. It is geared to the younger crowd with it's loud music and not so luxurious furnishings and comforts but it is a great value for its central location.

Room Tip: Choose on room on the backside of the hotel and on the upper floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Service in this hotel is practically non-existent. There is a loud dj in the lobby playing until at least 5am. Staff isn't very helpful but I think it's mainly because they seemed overwhelmed, this hotel is managed terribly. Price was great but not really worth it, I stayed here one day before going to my actual hotel so it wasn't a big deal but I would definitely try to avoid returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I were spending our spring break in Miami Beach-away from our home in Maryland. Our initiation to the hotel was AWFUL. The receptionist informed my husband on the day of our travel that the shuttle will pick us up. We walked a very long way from Concourse C to G and waited 45 minutes to find out that their shuttle service was not available that day. Which their check-in person informed us upon our arrival that they knew all day. Next we asked for a room not next to the VERY LOUD music playing in the lobby. Surprise we are given a room right next to the lobby. GUESS WHAT SOMEONE WAS ALREADY IN THAT ROOM. How scary. Then we are given a room far away from the lobby; however, the staff or AKA security were unable to control their guests who are partying in the lobby at 2:00 am. Our room was not cleaned the next day neither was our door lock fixed for two full days. We were anticipating someone entering our room as we had entered someone else's room earlier that week. We decided not to report all this mishaps on Tripadvisor if the manger would listen to our concerns and fix these problems. She didn't bother to call us. We tracked her down on the third. She pretended to be apologetic and offered to reimburse us fort he cab fare on our arrival upon our check-out. Guess what we were checking out today and there was no envelope for us and staff had no idea about what was promised. I had to force the reimburse as promised upon which the front desk claimed that I was getting him in trouble. TROUBLE!!! I will never stay there again. We have already booked next vacation for Miami Beach before we left and it NOT Hotel Chelsea. BUYERS BE AWARE. No Lotions..no tissues.. very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I work at a spa so therefore I am very picky when reading reviews on hotels and such but the hotel Chelsea's reviews are ridiculous. This is honestly the best serviced non5star hotel ive stayed at in south beach and i come here every two months. I was greeted pleasantly by Marisol and given a drink by Gina, both absolutely lovely girls! The room was small but clean and cute, just enough space for me and my girls. I loved my stay. If you are young and want to have fun in a great location, stay at the Hotel Chelsea.

• Stayed April 2012
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Very very very loud house/techno music blaring in lobby all night long but our 3rd floor room was on opposite side of hotel and we didn't hear music in room, we just couldn't hear each other or staff in lobby and check in bcz of this was brutal. bogus $100 credit charge for "incidentals" as opposed to usual taking of credit info, Bogus "resort" fee for no resort items and our room was spartan, small size bed, no view, seriously. Windows were near ceiling and covered with dark window treatments. No Kleenex/tissue, all in one shower and bathroom a la European style, no fridge, no coffee maker, decorative ceiling beam fell down and hit my husband in the head and other than apology and screwing it back into ceiling, the "resort" offered nothing. We waited better part of 30 minutes for the valet who apparently resides offsite and only comes when called. All this for nearly 200 a night. No thanks.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hello BetsyBPhoenix,

Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated and we are extremely glad that you chose to share it with us, and all of our future guests! We are currently going through Winter Music Conference, it's a world known conference for international music. We do take a $100 charge for incidentals. The funds are released back onto your account as soon as your check out. Almost every hotel takes a hold for incidentals. We do offer great amenities such as the R/T shuttle from Miami International Airport (savings over $60), complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM, etc. We do offer other room types that are a bit larger for those guests who want some more space. The valet company that we use is an outside company. I will definitely let them know of the inconvenience that you experienced with the car.

Katrine

Been to Hotel Chelsea? Share your experiences!