“Not bad at all, very nice staff.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Chelsea
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   944 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #129 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Not bad at all, very nice staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, which was great!

It was a decent place for what it was. I read through all the fine print way before and wasn't surprised by anything, although the signing of a blank credit card authorization wasn't something I was too fond of. The front desk lady, Gilma, was very nice and booked me in quickly and painlessly. She was able to accommodate me with exactly the room I wanted.

The room is abit small and compressed, but again, this is a BOUTIQUE hotel, so everything naturally a little smaller. Rooms were clean, and no problem with anything in them. They have a lovely patio outside if you need some space to clear your head.The Wi-Fi is absolutely horrible though as it kept disconnecting's itself (On both my laptop and iPhone). The music was abit on the loud side, but I think that has to do with all the walls being near paper-thin. Its upbeat music playing pretty much all day from noon till 2Am. The hotel itself is very chic, and definitely not conducive to families. I would even go as far as to say its oriented for adults rather than kid-friendly.

Happy Hour is from 7-8Pm, which consists of unlimited well drinks with vodka, gin, and rum. The morning bartender, Lyn, was nothing short of amazing. He genuinely cared about making my stay a great one and even pointed me the right way in terms of food, nightlife, and tours. He was very patient with me showing me how to smoke a shisha waterpipe, and very attentive for the two nights I was there.

Location was great, as everything is within walking distance. I would stay here again with my girlfriends, but not with my kids.

Room Tip: Top floor for a quieter room, first floor is next to a music filled lobby.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hello Amber S,

Your kind feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for taking your time to share it with us and all of our future guests! I am very glad to read that you were able to take advantage of the wonderful airport shuttle! It's a great money saver, and we know that everyone loves to save a few bucks. :) I am also very glad to know that you were given exceptional service by Gilma. I will make sure to inform her of your wonderful praise! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel, I am glad that you were aware of this. We were experiencing an issue with the internet that was out of our control. The phone company came and resolved that, and everything is back to normal and working perfectly again. We are a chic hotel and content to know that you liked it. I see that you were also able to take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8pm nightly. Our bartenders are always eager to start the night off right for all of our guests. I will also let Lyn know of your wonderful praise! We hope that you would come back and stay with us again soon!

Have a great night!

510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Merchantville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our journey to south beach from the airport was HORRIBLE! We thought by booking this hotel with a shuttle was a great idea, except that we took a cab to the hotel! It was a total of 6 of us that booked three rooms and reserved the shuttle a week prior! How can it not be enough room for ANY of us?! Shuttle is a joke! The receipt was left with the manager who was never around during our entire stay from Thursday to Monday (great manager.. NOT) so we will see if someone will pick up the bill.
The rooms are very small and the bathrooms even smaller, which is expected on South Beach. The housekeeping ladies were pleasant and very thorough. Be aware that you can hear everything above you as well! Our room was situated towards the front of the hotel and one night after returing the music was still playing outside but no one was outside or at the bar. I asked the african american gentleman working the overnight shift what time the music goes off and he sarcastically looks at his watch and replies soon. This gentleman compared to Nicole is like night and day. I am sorry that I inconvenienced you by asking a question while you were playing on your phone, but I thought you were at work.
Nicole was pleasant, respectful, informative and overall a nice person. She LISTENED to our problems and took care of us. She made us feel welcome and asked us if we needed anything before we could ask. Great customer service and if we were ever to return she would be the reason. We booked through a third party so we didn't experience fees and the $100 hold is normal at hotels so I have no complaints for additional charges unlike the rest of the reviews. if anything I am surprised that the hold isn't greater.
Wish list: Food all day and night and pool for perfect stay.
Nicole you will be great in whatever you do! Stay down to earth and keep that loving personality and you will go far! Thank you for everything!
Location is also a plus! In the middle of everything and you can walk. But if you are deciding between this hotel and one very close....chose the other.

Room Tip: corner rooms a bit larger, high floor, front rooms are noisy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

So here one night hotwire booking and this place is not for me.

Positives
Hotwire rate
Free airport shuttle

Negatives
Undisclosed $15 per night "resort fee" this place is in no way a resort
No pool
Wifi only in the lobby and went down while using it
No hand towels
Bath towels worse then I had in college
No mini bar inventory sheet in the room
Nice large flat screen on the wall but blue light glares at you all night
Paper thin walls noise all night
Forced to sign BLANK credit card imprint at check in or no room for you
No gym
Drivers license and credit card are photocopied at check in

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Good Evening Sathurston,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad to read that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary airport shuttle, as well as our wonderful low rates. We do charge a $15 resort fee which covers all of the amenities that you love to enjoy- R/T shuttle, complimentary cocktail hour, etc. We are not a resort but the fee is called a resort fee, majority of hotels that this kind of fee. We do provide hand towels and bath towels in every room. We only supply a certain amount. If you have wished to get more, our team would have loved to provide you with those! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Have a great night!

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm terribly mad! I stayed there for 1 night, because I had to go to the Costa Rican embassy the next day so I just needed a place to stay for the night. I made a reservation online for $95.67 including taxes and fees. They put another $100 hold on your account and if you break anything, eat something, or drink whatever is in the room, they will charge your card from that hold on your account. I did NOT drink or eat anything because I just wanted to sleep a few hours. 2 days later I checked my bank account and I was charged $50.17 because according to them I had taken 2 cokes, 3 sprites, 2 bottles of water, and 1 bag of m&m's! I called the place and a very nice lady said it is the bartender who checks that notice is missing. How can I prove that it was somebody else and not me who took those things? It could've been the housekeeper, and even the bartender who wants to take home free stuff and then charge it on the customer's account. I'm absolutely mad, and it's not because of the amount of money charged, but because of this nasty way of stealing people's money. I would have prefered to hear that the hotel rate was $150 instead of $100 and I would have gladly paid $150 for a night, but the way they steal your money is simply disgusting!

Room Tip: If you still want to stay, choose a room on the 3rd floor, that way you won't hear the loud musi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hello Andreagurrea,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback for all of our future guests to read! We are extremely sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! We do indeed take a $100 hold for incidentals, this is for our security and yours as well. We definitely don't steal any money from our guests, and I am sorry that is the way you feel. We only charge for what has been consumed. If you did not consume anything then we will be able to sort out the issue for you.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Chelsea earlier this week! After having been in Miami (out by the airport) for 5 days on business, we wanted our last night to be spent on South Beach enjoying the night life. We had such a blast!!!! We did not anticipate being in the room much and therefore did not want to spend too much money. For being in such a prime location, we were initially hesitant about the low price and star rating. Surprisingly, the service of the staff and accommodations exceeded the price we paid (which is always a plus)! Additionally, I appreciated the option of being able to leave our bags on the property after checking out so that we can spend a few more hours on the Strip. The Happy Hour in the lobby was also a treat. The only complaint I can even think of was the valet parking price ($32), but after searching the area it was comparable to the neighboring establishments. As the hotel website states, if you do not have to rent a car while visiting the area...do not. We did not utilize the shuttle service, but witnessed many of the other guests taking advantage of that additional perk. Many of the comments we read on travel sites prior to booking mentioned hidden fees and costs, but we called the hotel and was explained everything in its entirety. What we were quoted on the phone was what we paid online and no additional charges were added other than parking. Overall, it was a pleasant experience and I look forward to returning in a few months when we return to the area...this time strictly for pleasure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Lancgyrl,

Thank you so much for posting your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read!! We are extremely glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!! We love to know that we were able to make great memories for you!!! :) Our location is definitely prime. We are within walking distance to all of the action- yet far enough to get a great nights rest! The amenities that we provide our guests are great and they all love them. From the R/T shuttle, to the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8 and everything in between- our guests love it all. Our parking is very comparable with the neighborhood. Our valet service is not mandatory but we do recommend it if you are going to be taking your car in and out many times.

Please come back and visit you if your in South Beach again!

Have a great evening!

Manhattan, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Nice lounge area when you walk in. The rooms are small and the decor is very dark. Overall, not a bad hotel. They have happy hour every day so the 1st floor is packed with people every day.
Washington Avenue is away from the beach so you have to walk at least 2 blocks to the beach. there is no pool at the hotel either. But there's a 7-11 and other stores around the area. A TON of restaurants in the area so it's easily walk-able.
No shuttle service from the airport as mentioned. The front desk wasn't too helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hello Nki65,

Your feedback is appreciated by us and our future guests! We are glad that you chose to share it! We are glad that you liked our bar/ lounge area. We are a boutique hotel which explains why are rooms are small. Boutique hotels tend to be smaller then your average hotel. We are glad that you were able to get to enjoy our complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8pm. It's a great time to get to know your temporary neighbors. Our location is great. We are in the heart of South Beach, within walking distance to all of the action!! :) We apologize that you were not given excellent service by our front desk staff. I will definitely have a talk with them.

We would hope to host your next visit to South Beach!!

Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had read some very mixed reviews about this hotel, but it offered a good rate (by South Beach standards at least), it's in a decent location (2 blocks from the beach) and we were only staying for 3 nights anyway.

On check-in, the receptionist offered to upgrade our standard room (one king-size) bed on the ground floor, to a room with 2 queen beds on the third (top) floor without additional charge. Given the comments of other reviewers about the late-night noise from the lobby bar we accepted the offer; if there was partying in the bar, we certainly didn't hear it. The room itself was small, and the dark colors (dark wood floor, brown walls, dark wooden furniture and brown curtains) made it seem even smaller. One expects funky decor in South Beach, but this was more Austin Powers than art deco. No drawers for clothing - just some open shelves in a small closet that wasn't sufficient for two people. Also no desk. However, there was a large flat screen TV, the bed linens were good quality and the bed itself was very comfortable. The bathroom was also small, but clean and generally functional, though the water pressure in the shower was weak and it was difficult to find and maintain a comfortable water temperature. The description on hotels.com promised free wireless internet in every room, but on enquiring we were told it was only available in the bar area.

There is a very pleasant outdoor bar/patio in front of the hotel and the staff were helpful, efficient and friendly. If you plan on taking the free airport shuttle from MIA, bear in mind it serves several hotels and is "first come first served". The shuttle we took had room for only 12 people, and there were probably 3 times that number fighting to get on. They also have larger vehicles.

All in all, if you just want a decent and inexpensive place to sleep, don't need any extra amenities (spa, health club, business centre, room service, etc.), and don't intend to spend a lot of time in the hotel, I think you could do a lot worse. We would certainly consider a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor if you are concerned about the noise from the bar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Evening Awsnj,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! We are glad to read that you were accommodated to a complimentary upgrade! We are a boutique hotel, which means that are rooms are a little bit smaller then your average hotel room. The personality of our hotel is dark yet sophisticated! I am glad that you found your room to be clean! I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our amenities! We would definitely hope that you would come back, and give us a second visit!!

We hope to see you soon!

Kind Regards,

Katrine

Been to Hotel Chelsea? Share your experiences!