“Great hotel, but be aware” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Claridge's

You added Casa Claridge's to your Saves list
Casa Claridge's
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3500 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Formerly Claridge Hotel)   |
Ranked #46 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

When I first heard that I was on my way to Miami for my birthday I found myself filled with both excitement and trepidation. Excitement at the prospect of escaping New York and seeing something new, yet trepidation at the thought of having to spend time in what I thought of as “Las Vegas by the sea”, filled with the drunk, the young, and the flash. I must confess that my concern never really materialized in large part thanks to our stay in the Hotel Casa Claridge.

Located in the northern part of South beach, this historical hotel creates a feeling of being jettisoned back to the glorious Art Deco era of the 1920’s. The hotel’s main lounge area is decorated in a rather novel manner. One evening while sitting in this lounge enjoying a Gin and Tonic, I could imagine it being the kind of place where men in uniform and white linen suits would sit and plan the coup d'etat of a small Central American country. I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy this little imaginary saunter.

The hotel itself is was beautiful inside and out. The old building dating back to 1930 doesn’t feel that old inside. The rooms were stylishly minimalist yet comfortable. The little touches like having red velvet curtain tassel instead of a traditional “do not disturb” sign is a perfect example of I am talking about. The whole hotel is decorated to a similar level of detail and it is apparent that whoever was responsible for its decoration took great care to get it right. And it shows from the dining room murals through to the whimsical elevator. The only criticism I would mention is the shower taps which are bit counterintuitive to operate (they require some physical strength to engage and stop).

One of biggest selling points of this hotel for me was its location in South Beach. Situated towards the northern part of the beach meant we were just far enough from the party set to escape the crowds yet only 5 minutes by cab to some of the best dinning offering in Miami (check out Osteria Del Teatro for Italian food which make your taste buds feel they had died and gone to heaven). While you have to cross the road to get to the beach it is so much better than the equivalent offerings toward the South. The beach feels almost secluded toward the northern end with more space and less people. Perfect if you just want to relax, enjoy the water, and not have to come face-to-face with too many budgie smugglers (e.g. men in overly tight swimwear as is the case toward the South).

The one drawback at the moment is that there is some construction going on in the area. However, we found the inconvenience caused minimally disturbing and more than offset by the great value for money. We searched for places to stay in the New York tristate area and nothing came close to the value we got going to Casa Claridge.

All and all, I would highly recommend Casa Claridge as a place to stay in Miami for those who want to enjoy the more civilized side of South Beach. Your money will go a very long way here.

• Stayed September 2015, traveled as a couple
barry, wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel is as previously stated is surrounded by construction and will be for some time. This was never a problem as far as noise is concerned inside the hotel but a little off-putting outside. The interior is very nice as was the room although the walls are paper thin as you can hear everything that your neighbour decides to get up to!!! The position of the hotel is at the upper end of Collins and although there is a bar and restaurant in the hotel and another, the hotel Croyden just up the road, the night life of Collins is a long walk or a $10 taxi or a bus ride. The Big-Bus of Miami stops just a block away which is a hop on hop off for $39 which lasts two days and takes you allover Miami. The staff were friendly and helpful but the bar and restaurant were limited and quite pricey.If you want a few quiet nights away from the night life, its fine, but if you are staying longer and are the partying type then perhaps its not in the right place.

Room Tip: Dont have a room with a connecting door or perhaps ask for a room without a neighbour.
  • Stayed September 2015, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I really enjoyed my stay at this boutique hotel in Mid Beach. The staff was very helpful and courteous. I really loved the interiors of the hotel and the room was really nice. They have a nice private beach that I used and they provide towel, chair and umbrellas. You could enjoy food and drinks on the beach too.

• Stayed September 2015, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Have stayed in many places on miami beach.
This is the best.
Clean and big room.
Nice big bed.
The room also had a nice look.
Friendly and helpflul staff.
One block from the beach.
I doubt that you will find any better in this price category on miami beach.
And we also got an upgrade, don't really know why.
But the room we got was really nice.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ajaxmo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

When we pulled up there was construction going on all around the hotel. We were very worried about what I saw was going on. Turned out we had nothing to worry about. We were pleasantly surprised by this wonderful hotel & staff. The service was amazing, they placed us in area of the hotel that was sufficiently quiet; and we never knew construction was even going on. The beach was across street; close enough and they had chairs waiting for us there and it was wonderful. The only down fall was that restaurant was not open late, but there again staff came thru and made recommendation to place within walking distance that worked fined. The hotel staff even gave us tip on how to save on parking instead of using valet, which was very nice. We only stayed for 2 nights on way back from KeyWest. I can't say enough about the staff. If you want a very quait place with perfect atmosphere this is the stay this is place to stay. The hotel was clean, it was good distance to where we wanted to be and I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Chatham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at this hotel for 7 days in August 2015 as part of celebrating my wife's 50th Birthday. Myself, my wife & our 24 year old son.

Good Deco style room, well laid out but in need of a little finishing touches. Just like living in an old house, you need to expect small imperfections.

We arrived in the early evening after a delayed flight from Houston Tx, we had no help with our luggage. The receptionist (Michael) didn't even notice us!!

Michael couldn't locate our reservation, but after showing him our booking confirmation (Hotel Voucher) from Thomas Cook he miraculously "found" us rooms.

He told us that our rooms were on the 2nd floor directed us to the lifts, all from the comfort of his chair!! Therefore we had to haul our own luggage and find our own rooms.

Later, I showed him email correspondence that I had had with him & he basically dismissed this.

The rooms were clean and very white with a good air-con unit, writing desk with 2 USB & 2 plug sockets on top, large double bed (nice hard mattress), 4 pillows & bedside tables.
The basin was at the end of the room, which we're not used to, but not a problem.
Shower & W.C. in a separate room.
Small wardrobe with hanging space of about 30 inches, half for long items, and therefore not enough room to hang your holiday clothes. Within the wardrobe was the safe and a 4/5 drawer base unit.
Large TV with 70-80 channels available sitting on a unit that housed a fridge & 3 large shelves.

We didn't use the hotel restaurant as we wanted to try the local fare & therefore cannot comment on this.

The hotel bar is small, well stocked but expensive, Thomas (the Bar man) was excellent and very friendly. 2 x Gin & Tonic and a Coke = $44!!! (Approx £30 GPB).

Owen, was always on hand to open the main entrance doors. He & Thomas were they only staff in the hotel that were polite to us!!.

The private beach is a 3-5 minute walk across the street from the hotel. It consisted of 10-20 sun loungers with umbrellas. Adnan, a young man originally from Cyprus, who was responsible for the handing out of towels, extra umbrellas etc was the most polite person that I have EVER met & is a credit to his parents. He couldn't do enough for us, when we asked where to buy water he offer to get it for us. 2 minutes after getting the water he presented us with a wine bucket full of ice to keep it cool. His only fault is that he is an Arsenal fan !!

The hotel is a 30 min walk from Lincoln Road mall & shops, $10-15 Taxi or $2.25 PP on the bus which you can pick up from a stop behind the hotel.
Aventura Mall is about a 40 minute taxi ride @$40 or an hour on the bus @$2.25 PP we did both, but recommend the bus which is air-conned.

On checking out (11:45am) we were presented with a bill for $1250 per room!! Despite our protests they debited our credit cards with this. Our rooms were paid for in the UK via Thomas Cook prior to our holiday.
Again they couldn't find our reservation, which they had had ALL WEEK to resolve, and blamed Thomas Cook for the error.
Alfredo, the Manager, apologised for the misunderstanding and said that our credit cards would be refunded within 5 days. He said that he would investigate our problems and contact us by email.
We left the hotel at 13:00 to go to Miami Airport for a 20:40 flight as we couldn't bear to sit in reception after being so poorly treated.

I have since had 1 email from Alfredo & still had no reply to my recent request for the outcome of his findings. This does not surprise me as I believe that they don't really care about this. I stated that I would wait for their reply before listing these comments, but no reply!!!!!

I would stay in Miami again, but a different hotel for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. Building work is happening all around, however, except for one nig...
  • Stayed August 2015, traveled with family
1 Thank MurphyTurfy
Ismaray B, Front Office Manager at Casa Claridge's, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback,

We apologize that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. I can assure you that the genuine comfort of our guests is most important to us. I want to apologize for the series of billing issues you had along with the arrival experience, I hope that you will reconsider joining us for your next trip to Miami Beach so that we can prove to you why you chose to stay with Casa Claridges, have a wonderful day.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at ismaray@casaclaridges.com