“No room despite paying $300 IN FULL 6 months before” 1 of 5 stars

Claridge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3500 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #94 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Round Lake Beach, Illinois
“No room despite paying $300 IN FULL 6 months before”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I did a ton of research before choosing this hotel for our one night stay in Miami Beach before our cruise. I wanted a historic building but not in the middle of everything since I had my two sons along with my wife. I booked the the Claridge and PAID FOR IT IN FULL. Fast forward 6 months, by the time we arrived from the airport it was 5pm and an extremely long day. I went to check in and was told that I DID NOT have a room. The excuse was renovations. If that was true why didn't they call or email me before I showed up at their desk? I was assured that they had a room for me at another hotel just down the street. So I re-packed our bags, loaded up the family & headed to this other hotel. I was NOT just down the street, it was a half hour drive down to middle of everything on South Beach (just what I didn't want). I went into the hotel myself to check it out. Very nice, very upscale, and they had never heard of me. They had two other people coming from the same hotel that never showed up. They called the Claridge and were told to give me those rooms (they had no rooms to accommodate the 4 of us). I tried to keep an open mind and asked to see the rooms (hoping they were at least next door to each other). The rooms were nice but not even on the same side of the hall as each other. When I went back outside to discuss with the family, they wanted to get out of the loud party environment and frankly, I did not love the idea of spending my first night on vacation bunking with one of my sons in a separate room from my wife and other son. The ONLY saving grace to the Claridge is that when I called them to say no, the manager did not argue and promptly issued a refund on my credit card. Luckily we had great customer service at the hotel we were already planning on going to the next night (see my Galt Villas review) and it worked out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Wisconsin, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The Claridge hotel is a Mediterranean styl hotel in the Art Deco district. The rooms are on the smaller side, typical of the era it was built. The bathroom was tight, but not an issue. If you can't park in the city lot across the street, there is valet parking for $27. Parking in the lot is free from 6pm to 8 am, then you pay for up to 3 hours at a time. In the same lot There are "Deco-bikes" you can rent, which can be dropped off throughout the city. The hotel has Collins street in front of it, then there is the city lot, and then the boardwalk with entry to the beach so very easy. I hate resort fees, but they are now common practice. Theirs is lower than most at $12.95 per night and includes internet, newspapers in the lobby, and an attended beach area which includes loungers & towels (umbrellas & cabanas are extra). There is no longer a pool in their atrium, which was quite small. There is nice lounge to relax in the atrium. The veranda has lots of outdoor couches & umbrellas. There is a small restaurant on property. There are not a lot of restaurants in this area, Ocean Drive is where you go but it is along walk. Jeremy at the front desk was very good, as were all the staff we encountered. There is construction going on at almost every block, you can't avoid it. However, it was no intrusive and this is a quiet area on Collins.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room that has new furniture.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I don't usually make reviews or comments on places that I go (and I travel with my husband a lot) but I had to after the experience that I had here. I read the other reviews about the negativity and new owners but my experience was out of this world.

Firstly, the manager Jeremy was the most accomodating person that I have ever met. There was a misunderstanding with my reservation at first but Jeremy quickly handled everything and even upgraded us. It was a great first impression and it seemed as if he was always there which really made the stay feel welcoming and us a part of the family. David, the bellman, was also extremely friendly and gave us some great recommendations.

Honestly, I cannot rave about this property and the management staff more. I will definitely be back to experience everything that they are doing now, as far as renovations, and am looking forward to feeling at home again.

Thank you Claridge Hotel!!!

Room Tip: If you can, ask to say hi to Jeremy! He will undoubtedly remember you throughout the whole stay and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

It was totally sad our experience at this hotel, we just left the next day of our {5 days} stay cause we could not handle the darkness and dirtyness at this horrwndous place. The employees at the front desk were so rude and unprofessional that it was just unacceptable. They just keep saying that they were renovating the hotel and the **staff (seriously? )
No matter where you would like to eat within the hotel, its just dirty and old, food not presentable and at least the boy who wanted to serve us was extremely helpful. We finally had dinner at Carrabas few blocks away from the hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Remember, this is an historic property and as such things such as sound proofing are not at the same standard as a new building. We were disappointed that the pool was not available, but we found the hotel very charming. The staff went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed our stay, helping us with directions, making recommendations on things to see and do and even bring us bottles of water as we waited for the hop on hop off bus which was delayed. The location is ideal for those who want to be close to the "Night Life" but don't want to stay in it. It is a short block from the beach and chairs and towels are included with your resort fee. We would stay here again if we find ourselves back in Miami.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Veronica M, General Manager at Claridge Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Kathy,

Not everyone 'gets' the charm of a historic hotel which is why I am so happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently undergoing great changes as our hotel is under new ownership and will soon become Miami Beach's most unique and intimate guest house and I hope to see you and your friends back so you can enjoy an even better experience with our hotel and its staff.

Veronica Murillo, GM
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

At first we thought this hotel it was charming even though the very small pool off the lobby was empty. On our second day, after being gone from 8:30 AM-10 PM, a room with wet towels still in the shower, bed not made and garbage pails still full was not a good thing. The front desk person quickly brought us towels and coffee, but that did not make up for not having our room serviced at all. The restaurant was very slow at getting our dinner the night before so this was strike #2... It is quaint and charming but don't think we will be back, room was noisy as far as luggage cart coming down the tiled floors and neighboring rooms now well insulated. This is a hotel not a time share, and we do expect a room to be serviced daily, was very close to rating it poor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to leave this comment for our hotel and I also want to take this opportunity to apologize if your stay with us did not match your expectations. Here at the Claridge we take great pride in the way our guest rooms are maintained and I want to assure you that only in very rare cases does it happen that a room is not serviced during the day. That being said, I am happy to inform you that the hotel is now under new ownership and we are currently embarking on a top to bottom renovation that will create Miami Beach's most unique and intimate guest house which is why I hope to be able to welcome you back when you will find the amenities, services and facilities elevated to a new standard.

Veronica Murrillo, GM
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

It was a very nice hotel, but the sound proofing was not very good. We were easily disturbed by the occupants in the room next to us. They woke us up our first night at 5am, I'm guessing they had a early flight. I could hear them talking, and packing their suitcases. It would have been impossible to sleep through it. Also, we had some bad luck, the hotel was having the hallway painted out side our room. It wouldn't have been a big deal if the guy was not working in the early evening (4-8 pm). But it was a bummer walking through a narrow hallway with wet paint. The hotel restaurant was pretty good, its worth having at least one meal there. The pool was out of service while we were there (no water in it). But their pool is more of a decoration anyway, its really small, probably too small to do more than stand around. Also, the hotel does not have parking. I guess this is pretty common in South Beach, but it was a real bummer. We had to park on the street at a meter or in the public beach metered lot across the street. Sometimes it was very difficult to find parking. It might be better to stay there without a car and just use taxis for transportation.

Room Tip: The basic room was pretty small. It may be worth looking into upgrading to a suite or larger room. .
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Veronica M, General Manager at Claridge Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. However, I'm happy to inform you that the hotel is now under new ownership and we are currently embarking on a top to bottom renovation that will create Miami beach's most unique and intimate guest house. Everything - from the guest rooms to our lobby, courtyard, restaurant, new roof deck and all our guest rooms will receive a whole new look - new furniture, luxurious new bedding and terry, new bath amenities and state of the art technology. Please note that none of the work currently ongoing at the hotel is of heavy or noisy construction and we do apologize for any inconvenience the painting and decorating work in the public areas may have caused you. In the meantime, we are pleased to announce that we have installed new state of the art complimentary high-speed WiFi, installed new state of the art RFID guest room locks, we have a new fully manned beach club, new valet parking service and 24-hour porter service. Over the next few weeks we will begin introducing our new guestrooms and new restaurant as well as additional services and amenities to make you feel truly at home. We hope to be able to welcome you back when you will find the amenities, services and facilities elevated to a new standard.
Sincerely, Veronica Murrillo, GM

Been to Claridge Hotel? Share your experiences!