“Think carefully before you reserve” 3 of 5 stars

Claridge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3500 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #105 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Sarasota
“Think carefully before you reserve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here two nights on a Travelzoo deal. Access to the hotel involves parking temporarily in front of the hotel and dragging your luggage up about ten stairs into the lobby. The hotel charges $22 per day for off-street parking. However there is a municipal parking lot across the street where you can park from 8am to 6pm for $10, with no charge to park overnight. The elevator is old and slow. Our room was large, and the mattress comfortable, if old. The bedside lights provide plenty of light for reading, which is most unusual these days. The two chairs in the room were uncomfortable. The air conditioning was effective. The plumbing is old and very noisy, particularly bothersome at night. The breakfast buffet is expensive for its content, although the scrambled eggs were better than one finds at hotels providing free buffet breakfasts. There was no decaf coffee available sadly!
This hotel is quite a ways north of South Beach, so if enjoying the nightlife is your goal, look for a hotel a few miles further south. On the other hand, access to a lovely beach is just across the street past the parking lot. A few blocks north on the boardwalk is a delightful tiki bar operated Carrabbas.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Carmen V, Front Office Manager at Claridge Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback, especially the bit about decaf coffee - I will make sure to suggest that it should be included on our restaurant's menu. We hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Verndale MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

When we made reservations, we were forced to buy a recreation service of 2 beach chairs, an umbrella, and towels for $67.00 per room for the week. We said we didn't want it being our daughter lived a half a mile away, but was told it was part of the deal, fine! The first morning, about 9:00 we went to the lobby to get the beach equip. they had one filthy chair, one broken chair, a VERY cheap umbrella, but did have towels. They said every thing was out already, fine! We took the poor equipment to the beach, we were the only ones from the Calridge there! Every day for a week, that is all they had! So much for the two chairs per room. When we checked out we wanted the &67.00 rec. fee taken off the bill being we had very poor recreation service. They said they would take off one day of the service. I said no, your going to take off the whole amount and I was going to review them. They took off the rec. bill, but we were met with one lie after another. For this reason I would NOT recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Our room was fine, big negative issue wit management
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Esteemed guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this comment for us, it is very important to us to know how our guests think about their stay in our hotel. And even though your stay with us seems to not have met your expectations, I want to inform you that we have recently replenished our inventory of beach chairs and beach towels. Our hotel generally does not offer umbrellas but sometimes guests leave theirs behind and we pay it forward and offer them to guests who are currently staying in our hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and we do hope that you will give us another try!
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Highlights: reception staff were very helpful whatever our query - travelling in to Miami, finding a bus, help to get on the internet; checking in and checking out. Our room had twin Queen beds which were very comfortable. The room was lovely with a small balcony on the front looking out to the sea. The bathroom was fine and the air con good. We loved the hotel architecture - I think it's around 1910 - 1920 and unspoiled. In all we actually really loved this hotel. The pool/hot tub was fun too and access to the beach perfect.
Lowlight - the restaurant - dinner was ok but we thought breakfast was only average with very little choice. If the hotel addressed this then it would definitely be a little gem. Good value nonetheless and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a front room with balcony - 2 Queen beds - and it was a delight.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear AliBaliLeeds,

We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks so much for leaving this review and we hope to see you again soon!
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I am a traveler who like anybody wants good value for money when booking a hotel.
Booked this hotel for 1 night stay after reading the reviews and wanting to stay in a different environment than regular chain hotels. Paid about $125 including the resort fees.
I was not impressed by the hotel.
Lets talk of good things first:
Location: Good location, on the north side of south beach. So away from the night life for those who want a peaceful night. You can reach the hub of south beach by bus or cab for 10$. Those who want to stay in all the night life activity, this is not for you. But I shall still suggest you to book a hotel in the proper south beach area as anybody who wants to come to Miami beach would eventually want to stroll in that area. That's what I did. I reached hotel at 10 PM and went to the main South beach area for couple of hours. So i guess I chose the wrong location. Good thing is that the street entrance to the beach and board walk is just opposite the hotel. So you can reach beach for sun bathing in just 3 minutes. Also the bus stand is opposite the hotel for those who want to use public transport.
Other good things- room was clean, bed was comfortable, AC was effective

Now the reasons why I wont stay here again-
When you enter the hotel, it looked like a dead place..agree that its supposed to be a heritage hotel..but that does not mean compromise on the liveliness.
Person at the reception was fine, nothing great. Though I must admit that the lady at the reception the next day morning while checking out was very pleasant.
The major problem was with the room- The most annoying part- the Wi Fi did not work in the room. Did not capture signal. When I told this to reception, they simply showed surprise, offering no solutions. I could not use the internet...
The rooms were small..no complaint because I guess all Miami Beach hotel rooms are small...but what about the design lay out?? The bathroom was tiny, and the wash basin of the bathroom was placed inside the room !!
No place for Coffee maker, so they kept it in the cabin below the washbasin with no plug point below. So I had to place it up next to washbasin to plug it to make the coffee.
Small make shift wooden Almira which can at most hold 3-4 hangers. No place to keep the luggage. No study desk. The water bottle in the room was labelled for $4.99 + tax...Better bring your own bottled. water.
The central lobby jacuzzi that the hotel boasts of is just not attractive. And it opens at 10 am in morning. So no early birds.
Not worth the price. It should be fine if the the price was 30 $ cheaper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

I regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us even though it seems that you liked the hotel overall except a few details regarding amenities and room layout. It is true that some of our rooms do have the sinks inside the room but that is because the hotel has been originally built in old Spanish style and none of its structure has been altered during the renovation in 2001. As for the WiFi - during our sold out days the signal strength tends to be weaker, depending on how many of our guests are connected to the hotel network. We are actively working to improve this situation and to make sure that this will not affect our guests' stay with us in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write this review for us and we hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.
La Crescent, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a great smaller hotel just north of South Beach so the traffic is not so heavy, with excellent customer service and old world interior styling. Our room was a little cramped because there were 2 queen size beds. In the future I will opt for a room with only one bed. It does have a resort fee but most hotels in that area do. You also pay extra for covered parking. There is metered public parking across the street but I have had vandalism issues with public parking in Miami Beach before so I gladly paid the extra. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Carmen V, Front Office Manager at Claridge Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Rich M,

Thanks so much for your glowing review of our hotel and staff, it is greatly appreciated! We are very happy that you chose the Claridge as your destination vacationing hotel and extend you a warm invite to come back soon, we'd love to have you as our guest again!
Tortola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Claridge and it was lovely the staff was really helpful the rooms were roomy and you had to peel me out of the bed so comfortable, the restaurant was nice nothing special but it also was not over priced like a lot of places, the only thing I would have a negative about is that the inter-net was far from high speed as advertised but apart from that we would go back.

Room Tip: We had the queen and it was perfect
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carmen V, Front Office Manager at Claridge Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Tara P,

Thank you so much for the wonderful things you've mentioned about our hotel and staff in your review, we greatly appreciate it and we are glad that you've enjoyed your stay with us! Please come back soon so we can spoil you all over again.
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I booked this hotel for two nights while I was on my honeymoon. The new husband and I drove into the area and we initially went to a parking area across the street for the beach but there were a bunch of kids hanging out in the parking lot (Mind you, its raining and about 9:30 in the evening.) Sketchy. I called the hotel and they said they had a parking deck behind in the hotel for 22.00 a day. I dont mind paying for parking but when we pulled up to the deck. Its the bottom deck with maybe 15 TINY spaces. No security. Barely any light. After squeezing out of the car we realized there is no way to get the luggage to the building except to drag it all BACK around the front and up the two sets of stairs- In the rain. For 22 dollars a day. Somewhere in the amenities I saw bell boy! Yea sure... The hotel was beautiful going into. When I went to the front desk, Michael was working but didnt pay attention to us. He was helping a gentleman with directions or something. After approx 5 minutes he finally acknowledged us. They "Upgraded" our room to a suite. And it was a BEAUTIFUL room. After settling in and quite frustrated at this point, the new husband and I wanted dinner. We went to the place on site. The host/waiter didnt speak barely any english. After ordering a red wine sangria and a rum and coke, all we received was the rum and coke. We then ordered Ham Croquettes and Mot sticks. After about 15 minutes the cook came out and told us he didnt have any motzerella to make them. He spoke enough english to tell him that was ok just to bring the ham croquettes and for me to ask him about the sangria. He asked the waiter to make the sangria- IT WAS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! Tasted like the wine was corked about 10 years ago. After all this taking about an hour, the husband was MAD! I told him to go back to the room and I would take care of it. So he left and I waiting another 20 minutes for the check. When the check came the waiter took it to the front desk to run it. No problem, might as well, they have the card machine up there. But after about 10 minutes with Michael at the front desk STILL speaking to the original man that was there when we walked into the hotel and my check STILL sitting there I was starting to get angry. I went to the front desk and after another 5-10 minutes Michael FINALLY acknowledged me and ran the card after APOLOGIZING HE WAS BUSY CHECKING A MAN IN!!!! He had been standing there chit chatting with the same man for over an hour!!!! No tip, going back to the room. Upset at this point. After discussing it with the husband, we decided not to stay a second night. I called the front desk and spoke with Michael. He said the room had already been charged but complete the checkout in the morning and they would refund it. After a VERY LONG night of the people next door to us laughing and raising cane until about 2:00 AM I went to check out in the morning and the young lady said that they couldnt refund the money and that I would need to take it up with Expedia. When getting to the car I found scratches all down the passenger side where the car next to us couldnt get out of their car either. Complete frustration. After calling expedia, they wouldnt refund the money. On the phone with expedia, they called the hotel. The hotel told them that the place was perfectly safe and had security! There was not security, no cameras. Heck they even opened the door automatically from the front desk when its dark and raining outside before they even knew who we were... and this other guy just standing around in the lobby for hours? Hello?!!? And expedia believed it. So we are now contesting it with our credit card company. The place is beautiful but not worth the hassle!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Esteemed guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review for us, we appreciate any feedback from our guests - be it good or bad - as it helps us improve the way we operate this hotel. I am sad that you seem to have had many issues during your stay with us and I do apologize for Michael's conduct, he usually receives praises from most of our guests and I was very disappointed to see that he upset you several times while you were here but thanks to your comments now he tries harder to be more attentive to all the guests who are in the reception area. Please let us know if there is anything we could do to change your mind about our hotel, we would love to be able to have you and your husband as our guests again.

Been to Claridge Hotel? Share your experiences!