“A Tale of Two Experiences” 3 of 5 stars

Claridge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3500 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #105 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Twin Cities, MN
“A Tale of Two Experiences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

One member of the family has a mold allergy and had a vastly different experience from the other two. First, the good: non-reactive folks loved the excellent whirlpool, going so far as to describe it as the best they have used. Big, comfortable room and beds. Attractive, vintage styling of property.
Now the challenge: the bathroom ceiling was so permeated with mold, that the reactive family member used 1.5 large boxes of tissue for his constantly running nose. Beach visitors understand the risk of damp, musty rooms at the seashore, but this was the most extreme mold problem we have encountered.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Veronica M, General Manager at Claridge Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Esteemed guest,

I greatly appreciate your feedback and want to assure you that we have ongoing maintenance work being done in order to make our guests as comfortable as possible. As our hotel is near the beach, it sometimes happens that due to the humidity moisture spots form by the windows but our maintenance staff works diligently to prevent such things from occurring. I apologize for any inconvenience we might have caused you and I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I started off with an attitude before I arrived at the claridge. I bid for a hotel on Priceline and made a mistake during my bidding and i ended up with the claridge. I really did not want to stay here mainly because it is not on the beach nor does it have a pool. When we arrived we were able to upgrade to a king room with a balcony at the front of the building for $25/ night. The room was large and lovely. We did have a bit of a view of the ocean thru the palm trees so that was good. The hotel exudes charm. It is old but kept in pristine condition and decorated beautifully. We ended up loving everything about it. There is a parking lot across the street so if you have a car it will cost you $10/ day to park there versus $22 in the hotel lot. The walk to the beach is very short; actually probably shorter than if you stayed at a sprawling resort. With the resort fee the hotel provides you with beach towels and now chairs. They are limited in quantity so call down first thing in the mornings to have them put aside for you. The employees are all very nice and helpful. They bend over backwards to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Our return flight home wasn't til 7:30 pm so we were able to get a 4:00-5:00 checkout for only $40, which was great. Its true that there is nothing really within walking distance other than a small grocery store/cafe across the street which did come in handy for drinks and snacks for the room and beach. there is alot of construction surrounding the hotel but it did not disturb us at all. In summary we liked the claridge so much that we would not hesitate to stay there the next time we visit Miami.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade when you get there; upgrade costs very reasonable. You can haggle a price with them.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Escazú, San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I just got back from a wedding in Miami, where we stayed at the Claridge Hotel. There's some good, some bad, but mostly it's just "fine".

The Good:

The staff are great. Really nice and helpful. In Miami, this is not a common thing to find so it was very appreciated. The rooms are big and the beds are comfortable. It's in a pretty quiet area, and we were right across the street from the construction and it ain't that bad now. They only start after 8 anyways. If you have a rental car it's a pretty convenient area, and the beach is literally a 2 minute walk away, across the street.

Rooms have free wi-fi, which is nice. The TVs have lots of channels (although why you're watching TV in beautiful Miami I don't know!).

The Bad:

Well, if you do have a rental car, prepare to have an annoying experience. Through the hotel the parking is $22 a day (that's crazy) or you can undertake the process of driving around the area trying to find a metered parking spot which is still expensive and impossible to find. Parking is annoying as HELL in this area. There's often a lineup of cars just looking for places in the parking lot across the street.

The walls of the rooms are really thin. That sucks, especially when the people in the room next to you come home wasted at 3am. The rooms themselves are a nice size, but have a weird layout: strange things like no counter space in the bathrooms and no dressers for clothes - with only 6 hangers. Not bad, just weird.

If you don't have a rental car, it's not the best area for you. There are lots of taxis though. Still, all the shops are kind of a little bit walk aways. It's not a big deal, it's still a good area, but just something to be aware of.

The hotel is pretty "no frills". There is no porter to carry your bags, and the stairwell is a service stairwell, so you'll take the elevator a lot, even if you're on the 2nd floor. The pool is basically a puddle.

So, all in all, the Claridge is just "fine". I feel bad saying this because the staff really are awesome, probably the nicest I've met in Miami, but the hotel itself needs some updating and work.

I think if they fix the parking issue (just give free parking passes, for crying out loud) and modernize the rooms a bit it'll definitely be a much better place that we'd want to return to.

Room Tip: Since the walls are so thin, I'd suggest getting a corner room so you only have one neighbor on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a few nights after we finished a cruise. We loved it here! It is right across the street from the beach boardwalk. This was great for us because we could just walk up and down the beach without getting lost. It's in a pretty good location right on Collins Ave. It was easy to catch a cab and get to all of the night life. We went out a couple nights, and we had no problems getting anywhere.

As far as the look of the hotel, it is so cool! It's in the art-deco area, so they did a really good job decorating it. There is also a really nice restaurant on the first floor. We ate there one night, and the food was great! We also had a botttle of champagne served to us. The waiters were very attentive!

Our room was very nice and spacious. The bed was comfortable. I really liked the look of the room too! We had everything that we needed! I would definitely stay here agian!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

So we checked in and from the outside the hotel looks amazing, but the inside is a different story. We had reserved a room with 2 beds and we were given an 'upgrade' that shocked us to only be a 1 bed room with a pull out couch....Apparently they were having water issues with the rooms with 2 beds. This angered me because they didn't bother to tell us about the problem at check in to begin with. So, I began to disassemble the couch and we pulled it out to find dirty sheets and a spider walking across the 'bed'. I've only been here for 15min. and it has already been a disaster. Please fall ahead and ask for your rooms status or just stay away to begin with.

• Stayed April 2012
Belo Horizonte, MG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

One of those stays that ends too soon.
My long flight arrived very early, which made me come knocking at 5am.
Gladly, the receptionist in service Jesse Anthony Garcia was more than helpful to arrange me an extra early check-in, and made my life 200% better just then.
Aside from Jesse, every other staff member I met during my 3 day stay was always extremely polite and helpful.
The room was comfortable and clean, meeting my expectations from previous good reviews I had read online.
The patio jacuzzi is kinda noisy, but once you close the room door you barely hear it.
Bottomline: Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Petersburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Claridge Hotel was the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I don't know what are wrong with the people that wrote the bad reviews, but my stay was a amazing. Even though it's all the way on 35th street it was worth the stay. Very nice hotel, very fancy and hotel staff were the BEST especially, "Anthony". He was very sweet and helpful, the best customer service EVER. Me and my friends enjoyed our stay. If I were to go back to Miami, which I am, I would stay at The Claridge Hotel every time I come down there. I recommend it to any and everyone no matter what your going to Miami for. <3<3<3<3

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Claridge Hotel? Share your experiences!