“Beware Cancellation Policy” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #103 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Beware Cancellation Policy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Once you reserve the room online, any paperwork/emails come without any mention of their cancellation policy which is 4 p.m., 72 hours. So, you need to print that information before you reserve the room in case there is a chance you may decide to cancel the room later on. I called 72 hrs in advance (later found out I needed to call before 4 p.m. since I didn't have the policy in writing), but Julio could not find my room reservation. Hmmm... Then when I called back the next day, as he told me to, Cindy informed me of the policy and that I was too late - I would be penalized for the room cost if I cancelled. So, now I have to stay here or lose money on the trip. Nice racket set up here. Disappointed AND I haven't even stayed at the property yet!

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed in this beautiful boutique hotel for 7 days..love it ...walk in...worth every penny I paid ...friendly staff...excellent coffee....nice and clean hotel...very good mattresses....white bed sheets, I love the fact that this is an small hotel, eco friendly....close to the beach, parking lot across the street and not that far from south beach....

Room Tip: First Floor Rooms are better...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, LA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I will start with the fridge, which may have been the noisiest of all. Night one it kept me awake all night. It sounded like a freight train. At first I thought that it would eventually stop. I was wrong; it chugged and chugged all night long. Also during Night One, there was an irregular but ceaseless tick tick tick tick sound. The next morning, my husband thought the ticking was a traffic signal outside, but it wasn't. It was the fridge!

I agree with other reviewers when they say you can hear everything: doors closing, footsteps in the hallway, neighbors' whispers, lobby Christmas music at midnight (playing AFTER CHRISTMAS, ahhhh!). I strongly suspect that several Claridge Hotel reviews on this site are fixed ... be suspicious of 5 star reviews given by someone with 1 total review on this site ... this hotel is not worthy of the four stars it currently has.

We stayed in a standard queen room on the third floor. We left the AC off during our stay and there was definitely a musty odor to the room. On top of that, our sink was clogged when we arrived and the bed linens were definitely of poor quality. They pill and leave lint all over your hair, clothes, and whatever else touches them. To the hotel's credit, someone came quickly to unclog the sink. We didn't have any other water issues - it took awhile to get hot, but I have no issues with that.

Night Two we decided to unplug the freight train fridge. But the ticking did not stop. Crazy. The fridge was placed into the bathroom with the bathroom door shut during our nights. If you are at all a light sleeper, do not stay here.

The hot tub downstairs was ok, but not hot enough, in my opinion. Oh! And the room has a delivery menu but the hotel does not offer room service. We ate at the restaurant on the night of December 25th, and one poor soul was attempting to serve all the diners. They were out of a lot of menu items, and the server was overwhelmed, but the pasta dish I got (something with proscuitto) was good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I am a regular user of tripadvisor and am not used to give negative reviews, you can easily check my profile. But for this hotel in particular, I am really sorry to say it is definitely not worth it. Before booking a room I checked tripadvisor and the Claridge seemed an interesting choice for a reasonnable price but it turns out the price should be divided in 2 or 3 for this type of establishment/service, what a disapointment!
We stayed 3 nights in Nov. 2011 and changed rooms because the first one shared a wall with the kitchen, you can imagine the smell, dishwashing noises, not to mention the jaccuzi noise which is in the middle of the lobby by the way. Noises were constant until 11:30pm... Even though the 2nd room was on 2nd floor, it was still poorly made : thin walls and door, old and smelly furniture, squeaking bed, we could hear our neighbors as if they were in the same room...
The location is okay, one block from the beach. But if you want to go the busy parts of town with all the restaurants and clubs you definitely need a car or take a taxi because by walk it is over 40-45 minutes away.
And regarding the staff, in my opinion they are not well trained, unfortunately I left my handphone on the bed table and it disapeared, nobody was able to recover it or give me a proper reply afterwards or maybe start a small investigation. After sending a few emails, the only answer I received by email was : "Sorry for the inconvenience, we hope you will come back". From cleaning employees to front desk, i never felt any help.

Ok I could write more but that's it now, all the above are my personnal feelings/opinion, and once again, I am not used to give bad reviews, this is my first time so please believe me!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Nice, clean hotel close to beach and away from South Beach crowd. Parking lot right across the street. Although across the street from the beach, the view is that of a parking lot, which was handy to have too. It had a nice front porch, and it was nice to walk across the street to the boardwalk (no pool). Also, we were very tired one night and decided to try the restaurant.. now that was a find! It was very quiet and all I really wanted was some pasta and a glass of wine. The waiter was more than accomodating. He is from Italy, and was very personable. We had some great pasta and the best homemade mozzarella ever. It was better than any of the restaurants we have tried on South Beach. I originally had low expectations.. this place was great.. I was not disappointed and that restaurant will bring me back to the hotel..

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony are the best
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

My partner and I came down to Miami Beach the week before Art Basel for a gig I had. The Hotel chices were pretty slim so we were searching the reviews in our price range and sort of ended up at the Claridge by process of elimination.

What a delightful surprise.

We arrived early, around 11:30am. The front desk clerk was more than happy to check us in right then, but she said if we could come back in a couple hours she could give us a better room with a balcony. We took her advice and went to check out the location for my gig.

The room was worth the wait. We checked in at 1:30 with no charges for early check in. There wasn't even a mention of it. In fact, the woman who checked us in was entirely delightful and charming. Our room was on the second floor facing the front with a lovely view of the palm trees and a bit of the ocean was visible over the tre tops. I wouldn't call it a full ocean view, but it was a lovely view.

There were a few disparaging remarks about the restaurant in other reviews so I have to assume they have improved drastically or that some people just don't know good food when they eat it. Since I was working late each night, my partner (who had dinner in the restaurant) brought a few special appetizers and a bottle of wine up to the room for me. So, while I only experienced the restaurant first hand for my morning coffee I did sample a bit of the food.

They have a special cheese appetizer from time to time. Some consider it the step-child of fresh mozzarella and I forget it's name. It's creamier and slightly sweeter than fresh mozz, but it is delicious. There was also a salad with pecorino and some sort of grain... (did I mention that I got back tot he room around 2am?) whatever it was, it was lovely. Smoky, creamy, wonderful...The staff was even kind enough to loan us a couple of wine glasses -something they don't always do since most people don't return them.

In short, the room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, the shower was hot, the staff was very friendly (especially the woman in the restaurant each morning!!).

We will be returning here if we ever end up in Miami Beach again.

Room Tip: If you want a view, the 2nd floor is just as good as the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

A very chic hotel located right on Miami Beach. Only a minute walk to the water, and few driving minutes to Lincoln Road. While I like my contemporary hotels this little place had all the right elements you would expect from an old-fashioned boutique hotel, from the lobby design to the wall art in the rooms. And skip the $20 parking fee - plenty of parking outside.

PS. I read some reviewers had issues with water pressure. In addition, during my check-in a hotel guest actually requested a check out and money back, again due to water issues in his room. We stayed on the 2nd floor, and although the water pressure was not that great it was sufficient to take a normal shower.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Claridge Hotel? Share your experiences!