“We had a lovely stay...” 4 of 5 stars

Claridge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3500 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #103 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Kissimmee, FL
“We had a lovely stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

but things could have gone all wrong. After being checked in, my teenage daughter and I were given a room that was not what I reserved (a deluxe double - which included a balcony with a view). Far worse than the tiny room with no balcony was the smell of air freshener and cleaning fluid that attempted to cover an underlying dank, musty smell. We didn't even set down our bags, we immediately returned to the front desk with an emailed description of the room I had reserved in hand and asked for another room. They were very gracious about it, but didn't have any more deluxe doubles, so they offered to put us in a penthouse "suite", (a junior suite at best) and we accepted.

I figured that a room with a balcony or terrace would be aired out and wouldn't have smell issues and I was correct. The suite had a king sized bed and sofa with a pull out bed as well as an enormous terrace that was shared with the other two penthouse suites. The terrace included self-controlled lighting and outdoor furnishings. The view was spectacular and the sofa bed was comfortable for my daughter. We had to request maintenance because the toilet wouldn't stop running and the tub faucet fell off the wall, but both issues were quickly rectified. Other posters have complained of noise and I could see how that would be an issue for any of the rooms on the first three floors that bordered the atrium/spa area, but the 4th floor penthouses are separate from all that and very quiet.

The free continental breakfast buffet was very basic and lackluster but it was free. After the first day, we opted to purchase coffee drinks and baked goods so we could breakfast in our room. The hotel does have a full breakfast menu, but we never tried it. Room service is also available, but we didn't try that either.

The beach is beautiful and very close by, but public parking is too insufficient to be depended on. After the first day, we realized it was worth the daily $22 hotel parking fee to have a guaranteed place to park.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

506 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We only stayed one night on our way out of the US but it was a lovely old hotel with character that you don't find in the big chain hotels.

The staff were very helpful, the breakfast was good, the bed was comfy, it was in a good location, close to the beach and only a short and cheap cab ride away from Miami Beach strip.

We had dinner at the restaurant and the food was lovely though the service needed a bit more attention, there wasn't many people eating there so I would have expected slightly better service than we got. But in all, good value and great food only a few steps away from the room.

The room itself was great, extremely comfortable high double bed, spacious room for all our luggage, bathroom was large and water pressure was fantastic!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We had requested for an early check-in for our 2 Rooms and they gave us 1 Room immediately. We got an upgraded Room with a Sea View.

Room - Very Spacious with good number of TV Channels. The Balcony was nice and big and you can chill there in the evening with your wine & beer. Bath Room was very small as compared to the Room but It was ok. The Toileteries provided were of very good quality.

We did not use the Restaurant in the Hotel but it did look promising.

Pool/Jacuzzi - There is a Jacuzzi in the centre of the atrium of the hotel which according to me was very very cool.

Parking - Hotel has its own parking and they charge 22$ for the entire day. Well if you are in Miami with a car, then trust me that 22$ is a good catch.

Location - Hotel is located on the Sea-Front. You walk 50 metres and the beach is right there. There are a few convenient stores just couple of streets away which take care of your basic needs. The Hotel is away from the Hoo-Haa of Miami, i.e the Ocean Drive but then the cab ride is only 10-13$ which is surely very cheap. It is very easy to get cabs from the hotel. Also there is a bus stop just opposite the Hotel incase if you want to go Down Town or North Beach.

Service - The Staff was very friendly and helped us plan our day and night.

Price - Depends when you book the hotel. We got an extremely amazing deal of $.120/- Per Night including Breakfast which was surely worth it.

This hotel is a sheer gem in Miami and the good part is that while it is away from the noisy crowd of Miami, it is just a quick cab-ride away. I will surely come and stay in this hotel again for my next visit.

Room Tip: Write Directly to the Hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Ballymena, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

my wife and i stayed at the claridge on two seperate occasions in may 2011. we both really liked the hotel. the food in the restuarant was first class and very reasonably priced, the staff very hospitable, especially Linda and Suzanne at the front desk!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Greenwich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Good quality service, friendly & helpful staff. Room was comfortable if a little small. Shower rather basic with erratic water temperature . Bed was comfortable but loud air conditioning could interrupt sleep on some occasions. Voices could be heard through walls.Beware of charges for "complimentary' items ie: Beach Towels, WiFi & Daily Newspaper. Location is good in that it is away from the main hub with a couple of good mini supermarkets across the road. Also across the road which can be busy at times, is the boardwalk which runs right into town, a lovely quiet beach & a bus stop from where you can get into town or to the Adventura Mall if you fancy shopping.

Room Tip: 3rd floor possibly the quietest
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reigate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Hi
I booked this hotel 3 rooms in Feb. Went to check in on Satruday 23rd and was told that they had no rooms but they had found me 3 rooms for one night at the Days inn 8 blocks away and that i was to come back to them for the Sunday. I said no i was only there for 2 nights and wanted a hotel where i could stay for both nights and that i would not acceot the days inn as alternative as it is 2*. I was then given rooms at the Marriot Courtyard at the same price and they would pay any difference- we were happy with this. WE went back to the Claridge before we left to check that there would be no charges to our account and we were tolf that there would not be! However on return I have been charged for the booking at the Days Inn which they made on our behalf and they gave my credit card details! This is currently in dispute and under investigation
On a plus side the hotel looked nice and it was a shame that we have had so much trouble. We also met some other people who had been bumped out of their rooms!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Went to MIA with couple of friends mid April 2011 and got a great deal on the Claridge website. Very reasonable. Loved the Spanish look of the hotel. For some reason, I have always wanted to stay in this hotel for the past couple of yrs when I visit MIA, but was unsure. The hotel looked really cute in the pics. Very surprised because most boutique hotels, you never know what your walking into.

Perfect location. Not in the middle of the craziness, but not far either. You get the best of both worlds which was exactly what I was looking for. About 15-20 blks to the action. Bus right at hotel, walk if u want the exercise, or drive right up the street if u have a car. We did all 3.

Rooms:surprisingly spacious & clean; beds were very comfortable. Didnt hear neighbors in next rooms. Air conditioner can get VERY cold at night, so wrap up. Shower dial for the temp was acting a little funny, but not a major problem. Still had hot/cold/warm water. We reserved the Deluxe Double Bed w/View and got what we asked for. Patio small, but you can still see parts of the ocean right across the street. No big deal since we were never in the room anyways. Pretty, warm colors throughout.

Employees were SOOOO nice, gracious & professional. First, Linda (front desk) was the best. We had miscommunication about the incidental deposit before arriving (there is one so be aware). I made many phone calls before arriving. We were initially told there was no deposit. Finally talked to someone who fully explained the policy and was very honest (Linda), When we checked in, Linda knew who I was, because she kept notes and remembered me. She worked out the situation with the Mgr Santana & 1 min later we came to a fair understanding. Instead of paying $50 a night for 4 nights, they dropped it to $25 a night for the 4 nights. Of course, we got the deposit back when we checked out. She made check in so effortless. Normally you have drama in the smaller boutique hotels, but not this one. I was really expecting some issue to arise. Totally shocked, none at all!!!

I dont remember the young lady's name that worked at the front desk in the a.m., but she was always gracious too. Also, we would come in at 5a.m., and the gentleman & lady at the front desk was so upbeat and welcoming. Always asked if we had a great time.

Slight downfall: continental breakfast. Could be stepped up a notch. There was always fresh fruit, cereal, ect. I dont know, maybe Im asking for too much for continental breakfast. It was enough to get something in your stomach for that moment until we went to South Beach to get a full meal. Cant complain. Workers were were very hospitable though.

Maintenance was gracious too. My car was parked on the street next to the hotel (which you do have to pay between 8-6 everyday, no problem, we knew that). He asked if I could move my car, cause they were trying to do some repairs on the fencing. I was in a spot where they needed to be. There weren't anymore spots on the street. He told me I could park in the covered hotel garage with no charge for that time period. If you needed maintenance for any reason, he was there in no more than 5mins.

I will most definitely stay again. Had a blast on South Beach, but when I wanted some place to chill and wind down, the Claridge was the place to be or the beach directly across the street (both were peaceful).

Room Tip: Reserve at website. Deluxe Rm w/View
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Claridge Hotel? Share your experiences!