“Take it from a Travel Agent!!” 3 of 5 stars

Fairwind Hotel and Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #175 of 200 Hotels in Miami Beach
Southern Minnesota
“Take it from a Travel Agent!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

I'm a travel agent here in Minnesota and I stayed at this property when a girlfriend and I wanted to get away for the weekend. I was able to get a really great rate and I know why after visiting the hotel. I need to make a few notes on the rating of this property after reading what everyone else had to say.

Number 1: Your going to South Beach! One of the most important things is location, location, location and this hotel definitely has it! You are with in a few blocks of the beach with plenty of shopping, dining, and night life. You honestly can't beat the location.

Number 2: Cleanliness. I knew for the type of rate I was paying I probably wasn't going to have the nice duvet covers and turn down service at night with a mint on my pillow. The hotel is old...there is no doubt about it. The entire South Beach area is old art deco and historic, so that is the reason no renovations have been done, because they want to keep it the way it originally was so unique and one of a kind.

Number 3: Mold. I read quite a few reviews and everyone was complaining about mold or mildew. I have lived in South Florida and you learn to except the dampness and humidity so when I was going to the hotel I knew there might be a possibilty of those cons. The air is so humid, your beach towel wouldn't be dry if you hung it over the railing all day...I know...I have tried many times. The average cost for a decent hotel in South Beach is going to run you at least $250.00. If you go lower than that, just prepare yourself for these situations and down falls. I was looking to get away for some fun in the sun and that is exactly what I had. I was barely in the room except to get a little bit of sleep and shower. (hey, they had Bath and Body Works toilettries) I'm not picky because I have traveled a lot and I know with the different hot destinations out there, if you get a good deal on a hotel...it usually won't be to the highest of standards.

Number 4: NOISE. Yes, there is going to be noise. There is going to be lots of noise. You are in a party town that NEVER SLEEPS! I would never send a family South Beach. There are party's, nude beach bums, lots of drinking and roudiness. If you are looking for a relaxing South Beach vacation...you are NOT going to find that at the Fairwind. You would have to book a nice Marriott on the beach or some other hotel for at least $300.00 night or I personally would just stay in Fort. Myers or Naples.

Hotel really didn't bother me at all.

• Liked — Location!! Location!!
  • Disliked — Standards of rooms and cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Solo
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

The first time I visited Miami, this was the cheapest room found on line. I was hesitant at first but i booked it, and was very very pleased. As a matter of fact when i returned to Miami for a second and third time, because I love South Beach, I returned to theFairwinds.You can not beat the location. The art deco style in lobby is great! The adjoining resturant is good also, and hotel guest get a discount,.. Bonus!

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Westchester NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

Located on 10th and Collins Avenue, this hotel is perfect for the budget traveler who is simply looking for a place to crash at the end of the day. This hotel allows you to be able to walk to everything that South Beach has to offer. Two blocks from the beach. This is not the cleanest of hotels (would NOT recommend walking barefoot)!!! However it is in a safe, central location and does it's job. Also the hotel has a wonderful outside bar and restaurant which is great for happy hour (becasue you are staying at the hotel you get 10% off every bill)!!!

Wien
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

My wife and me, we had a nice time in a suite in this hotel. The suite was facing Collins Avenue, so we could watch the live there. People who would like to have a quiet stay, should avoid Sobe at all ! The room was clean, the staff nice and helpful. We loved also the restaurant, somewhat different from many boring, but expensive restaurants in the city. Of course, the hotel is pretty old ("historic charme" is a nice term for that). I think that people who gave this hotel so negative reviews are used to stay in that (for me terrible) sterile atmosphere of the usual concrete blocks which call themselves hotels.
Well, I give this hotel a good review, only to give fairness a chance; the hotel will be renovated, will become a 4 star lodging, and most of the people who gave the bad reviews will not be able to afford the new prices. O.K.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

After reading the reviews on this site i was not looking forward to staying at this hotel, and was thinking I hope its not as bad as people say. Let me be honest I am the sort of person that will complain if I do not good customer service; but this hotel was great and I have no complaints.

pros:
execellent location( your in the heart of everything)
great budget price
the room was clean
the bed and shower was clean
the room was very big ( I was sharing a double room with a friend).
room service was good
good customer service at front desk (anything needed was done straight away)

cons
I have none

The previous reviews must of been people that expected the hilton or trump, I suggest they go there. Even though this was a budget hotel to me it was just as good a a 4 star hotel in terms of service and cleanliness. I would recommened people to stay at this hotel and save yourself spending hundreds on expensive hotels which still get bad reviews anyway.

I will definantly be staying at this hotel next memorial weekend!! See you there!!

• Liked — clean room/bed/shower
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2007

When I received this hotel on priceline and found horrible reviews on tripadvisor, I found myself dreading the stay at this hotel. The complaints did have some merit - the hotel was old, the hallways smelled bad and the carpet was frayed, but the room was generally clean. Music from the neighboring restaurant was loud and filled the room until about 11 pm at night and started up again in the morning, making it difficult to sleep. I also found a bug on my blanket, which was not a pleasant surprise. Because of the excellent location right in South Beach and the cheap price, I would consider it a moderate value but I would not be willing to recommend this to others (but would consider staying there again if I had no other options).

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — general environment and feeling
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

We stayed in a "suite" which is in a separate building from the main hotel. The "suite" looked like a crackhouse apt. The windows were broken with rotted iron bars over them (someone easitly could have broken in from the outside,) the walls needed painted, the carpet desperately needed cleaned there were stains everywhere, smelled terrible, kitchen was absolutely DISGUSTING. It was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I think it's curious to point out however what this hotel HAS chosen to spend its money on (because it obviously isn't dedicating its funds to cleanliness.) The hotel has state of the art locks, I admit they were pretty cool- a little key chain thing that opened the door instead of a card key. The AC system is also nice, with a remote control. We enjoyed the bath and body works in the disgusting bathroom in which the bathroom door didn't close.. The bathroom also had a state of the art curved shower curtain rod (enough said..) P.S. If you are a single woman or a group of single girls, stay away from the restaurant staff - creepy and weird pickup lines.

• Liked — State of the art locks
  • Disliked — Filthy!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fairwind Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!