“I recommend it!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #179 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Ohio
“I recommend it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

The first time I visited Miami, this was the cheapest room found on line. I was hesitant at first but i booked it, and was very very pleased. As a matter of fact when i returned to Miami for a second and third time, because I love South Beach, I returned to theFairwinds.You can not beat the location. The art deco style in lobby is great! The adjoining resturant is good also, and hotel guest get a discount,.. Bonus!

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
Solo
Westchester NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

Located on 10th and Collins Avenue, this hotel is perfect for the budget traveler who is simply looking for a place to crash at the end of the day. This hotel allows you to be able to walk to everything that South Beach has to offer. Two blocks from the beach. This is not the cleanest of hotels (would NOT recommend walking barefoot)!!! However it is in a safe, central location and does it's job. Also the hotel has a wonderful outside bar and restaurant which is great for happy hour (becasue you are staying at the hotel you get 10% off every bill)!!!

Wien
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

My wife and me, we had a nice time in a suite in this hotel. The suite was facing Collins Avenue, so we could watch the live there. People who would like to have a quiet stay, should avoid Sobe at all ! The room was clean, the staff nice and helpful. We loved also the restaurant, somewhat different from many boring, but expensive restaurants in the city. Of course, the hotel is pretty old ("historic charme" is a nice term for that). I think that people who gave this hotel so negative reviews are used to stay in that (for me terrible) sterile atmosphere of the usual concrete blocks which call themselves hotels.
Well, I give this hotel a good review, only to give fairness a chance; the hotel will be renovated, will become a 4 star lodging, and most of the people who gave the bad reviews will not be able to afford the new prices. O.K.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

After reading the reviews on this site i was not looking forward to staying at this hotel, and was thinking I hope its not as bad as people say. Let me be honest I am the sort of person that will complain if I do not good customer service; but this hotel was great and I have no complaints.

pros:
execellent location( your in the heart of everything)
great budget price
the room was clean
the bed and shower was clean
the room was very big ( I was sharing a double room with a friend).
room service was good
good customer service at front desk (anything needed was done straight away)

cons
I have none

The previous reviews must of been people that expected the hilton or trump, I suggest they go there. Even though this was a budget hotel to me it was just as good a a 4 star hotel in terms of service and cleanliness. I would recommened people to stay at this hotel and save yourself spending hundreds on expensive hotels which still get bad reviews anyway.

I will definantly be staying at this hotel next memorial weekend!! See you there!!

• Liked — clean room/bed/shower
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2007

When I received this hotel on priceline and found horrible reviews on tripadvisor, I found myself dreading the stay at this hotel. The complaints did have some merit - the hotel was old, the hallways smelled bad and the carpet was frayed, but the room was generally clean. Music from the neighboring restaurant was loud and filled the room until about 11 pm at night and started up again in the morning, making it difficult to sleep. I also found a bug on my blanket, which was not a pleasant surprise. Because of the excellent location right in South Beach and the cheap price, I would consider it a moderate value but I would not be willing to recommend this to others (but would consider staying there again if I had no other options).

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — general environment and feeling
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

We stayed in a "suite" which is in a separate building from the main hotel. The "suite" looked like a crackhouse apt. The windows were broken with rotted iron bars over them (someone easitly could have broken in from the outside,) the walls needed painted, the carpet desperately needed cleaned there were stains everywhere, smelled terrible, kitchen was absolutely DISGUSTING. It was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I think it's curious to point out however what this hotel HAS chosen to spend its money on (because it obviously isn't dedicating its funds to cleanliness.) The hotel has state of the art locks, I admit they were pretty cool- a little key chain thing that opened the door instead of a card key. The AC system is also nice, with a remote control. We enjoyed the bath and body works in the disgusting bathroom in which the bathroom door didn't close.. The bathroom also had a state of the art curved shower curtain rod (enough said..) P.S. If you are a single woman or a group of single girls, stay away from the restaurant staff - creepy and weird pickup lines.

• Liked — State of the art locks
  • Disliked — Filthy!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Goshen, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

We stayed 1 night at 'FAIRWIND HOTEL AND SUITES' in Collins Ave. It was, I jest not, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The room 524 we were first assigned smelt of urine - like an old peoples geriatric home! The carpet reeked. The hall carpet hadn't been hoovered and had rubbish on it. The overall impression was dark, dirty, tired, neglected, and quite honestly not fit for purpose. It SHOULD NOT be allowed to function as a hotel and I doubt whether it meets health and safety standards.
It was disgusting. We got moved to a 'suite' room 518. The bathroom door inside was severly cracked and the other side in the bedroom had been crudely repaired (it looked as though someone had punched or gone through the door!). 2 lightbulbs were missing - 1 side light and 1 main ceilling. The decor was very poor including holes in the wall from old screw fixings and odd patches of paint. The windows were filthy and appeared just never to be cleaned. Our stay wasn't helped either by a large group of 'partying' young people who were there to enjoy the nightlife of Miami, and subsequently woke us at 1.15 a.m. and 3 a.m. with loud music and shouting. I will be writing to the hotel and Miami Tourist Board to complain.

Been to Fairwind Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!