“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Bram[pton
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Great location! $35 taxi ride from the port of Miami.
Check in was easy. They only have rooms with TWO beds, no queen or king for couples - weird. The rooms had a terrible and overwhelming air freshener scent - we had to open the windows.
The grounds are beautiful, pool is perfect degree in temp. We only ate at the alligator bar, reasonable prices for drink and food.
The hotel is right on southbeach, you can rent beach chairs & umbrellas. We walked the boardwalk to Ocean Drive.
One major downside, the rooms are not insulated. You can hear people taking, walking above you, I expected better. But would return.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Polish first
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We really liked the front desk staff and valets. They were very friendly. The servers in the bar areas and restaurant were not friendly and most seemed to really hate their job and the customers. We loved our room on the 7th floor overlooking the ocean and the balcony was huge. We went to the dinner buffet and it was some of the worst food we have ever had. It took hours to get the horrible taste out of my mouth. It seems like the hotel could be in the process of upgrading the rooms and grounds but the food just isn't there yet. The grounds were really beautiful and the pool area was set up very nice. Just skip the food and you will be fine.

Room Tip: Ocean view on 7th floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We stopping in the riu for 7 nights, our room was lovely and big and very clean so don't no what others are on about as you could of held a party in the rooms. All the staff very friendly and helpful, breakfast was amazing, could have a choice of anything you wishes for, all fresh and nice and hot, we shall be staying at this hotel again and may try other riu hotels elsewhere.

Stayed March 2013
Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been to many other Riu's at the Caribbean so I figured this would be a viable option for my stay in Miami. Boy was I wrong. First off are the rooms, small, cramped, TWIN BEDS ( the mattresses have a huge valley in the middle and hurt my back) , and the smell in the room of swear is quite repulsive. Second, was the manager for the restaurant who harassed me for sitting with my family because I complained to the manager( I'm guessing they figured we would not pay for our meal). Third, the restaurant is subpar, and for 20 dollars per person buffet was not worth it. The service was slow and faulty( I asked for cottage cheese for my fruit plate 4 times before it came when she presented my bill). Finally, I was surrounded by construction workers using jackhammers all day on the hotels on the left and right to us, I guess that is temporary but still unpleasant to sunbathe to. I was genuinely disappointed and expected more. FOR 300 BUCKS A NIGHT I could have chosen many other hotel/resorts in Miami. I don't recommend this hotel for any one really. This is my first ever post on tripadivsor but my stay was bad enough that it motivated me to write this post. I recommend staying at an American owned chain of hotels( Riu is owned by spaniards).

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good impression on arivial, reasonable room and a nice pool. However the beach had no loungers unless you paid (other hotels nearby did). Glad we were only staying 1 night as there was a lot of construction work nearby and it was noisy. Disapointing restaurant $28.50pp for a mediocre buffet. No WiFi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oak Ridge, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I traveled to Miami for work and found this hotel on Expedia – it was one of the less expensive ones but as it’s located on Collins Drive I figured it couldn’t be that bad. Upon arrival, the first thing I noticed was how incredibly nice the lobby was. I checked in but didn’t have time to look at the actual room as I had to go straight to the office. I came back later that night and was kind of surprised at how old the room was. The one pro is the balcony with the ocean view. That is really the only thing the hotel has going for it. There were two buildings under construction – one on the left side and on the right – so it was a bit noisy. The hotel is steps away from the beach, but absolutely no beach chairs, nothing. You have to pay to rent them which is kind of unfortunate. We just laid out on the towels. The hotel also has a breakfast buffet – a whopping $15 a person gets you a pretty mediocre selection of food. It was disappointing. The omelet station had a line of 10 deep and we couldn’t wait so just went for the basic hash browns and scrambled eggs. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend this hotel for room comfort and food, but would definitely recommend it for its proximity to the beach and ocean views. The parking is $20 a day, and you also have to pay for WiFi. Very inconvenient for business travel.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the top floor for the best views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We weren't staying here but decided to have lunch here as it was a RIU so we thought it would be good...WRONG. We sat by the pool as the main restaurant was closed in the afternoon. There were 4 staff members hanging out at the cabana bar chatting but not serving customers as they're supposed to. We waited 5 mins for service ordered a clubhouse sandwich that we shared. I wanted to order a Warsteiner beer but they were out of stock even though it was listed on the menu, my next choice was also sold out and I didn't want Bud or Coors so I just had water. You would think that if this place was a "resort" and it was during spring break they would have been all stocked up....duh. We waited a long time for our food, at least 15 mins, I was just about to say forget it and leave when it came. It was lukewarm and I would have sent it back but we were hungry. It was 4 out of 10. Not very good for a resort. The bread was all flattened. We paid $9.50 for this rip off. We left and did not leave a tip. Will never be back. I'm in the hotel industry and this place needs a good kick in the *ss. Why isn't the manager cracking the whip instead of letting the bar staff stand around when they should be working. You could be making more money. Was there on March 19 afternoon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple