“Crappy Food - Waste of Money” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #109 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Vancouver
“Crappy Food - Waste of Money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We weren't staying here but decided to have lunch here as it was a RIU so we thought it would be good...WRONG. We sat by the pool as the main restaurant was closed in the afternoon. There were 4 staff members hanging out at the cabana bar chatting but not serving customers as they're supposed to. We waited 5 mins for service ordered a clubhouse sandwich that we shared. I wanted to order a Warsteiner beer but they were out of stock even though it was listed on the menu, my next choice was also sold out and I didn't want Bud or Coors so I just had water. You would think that if this place was a "resort" and it was during spring break they would have been all stocked up....duh. We waited a long time for our food, at least 15 mins, I was just about to say forget it and leave when it came. It was lukewarm and I would have sent it back but we were hungry. It was 4 out of 10. Not very good for a resort. The bread was all flattened. We paid $9.50 for this rip off. We left and did not leave a tip. Will never be back. I'm in the hotel industry and this place needs a good kick in the *ss. Why isn't the manager cracking the whip instead of letting the bar staff stand around when they should be working. You could be making more money. Was there on March 19 afternoon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE! It will ruin your trip. The staff is worthless, the rooms have not been renovated since 1981, the walls are PAPER thin, and did I mention that the staff is WORTHLESS? It is as if they go out of there way to provide you with the worst possible service and to be rude just for the sake of it. The front desk knows nothing. Check in took 25 minutes and check out took 10 minutes - all without a line! If there is a line, plan on an hour. This is the first hotel experience that has ever made me so mad that I wrote a review. Trust me, learn from my mistake of trying to save a couple bucks, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Riu Florida Beach Miami disappointed us. We have stayed in Riu's before and always found them to have great standards and service. This one was a let down.

The hotel is quite run down, whilst we had a large room the decor needs updating and it wasn't particularly clean and smelt musty. The staff were not great, they weren't overly friendly and it seemed the whole place was out to fleece you of your cash! Location is OK, but we knew that it wasn't too central, 20-25 minute walk to south beach down the beach front.

Some positives are the nice Pool area and nice beachfront, with boardwalk right outside.

Probably wouldn't go back. Miami is great with lots to see and do, pick a hotel closer to the main areas and with better standards!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed at the Riu myself and 3 other girls for 3 nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful when we arrived and were able to get us adjoining rooms. Property was in a great location, (minus construction being done next door) just bring an ipod/speaker dock on the beach and you won't even notice. Beach was beautiful, they charge for chairs but towels are free so we laid on them and didn't even need the chairs. Rooms were comfortable and spacious, a little outdated but you are rarely in your room to even care. Buffet breakfast and dinner were good, standard food you would find if you were to stay at an all inclusive resort. Only ate breakfast and dinner at the buffet once so don't know if it changes everyday. For lunch the snack bar at the pool has good food and the most friendly staff, they also make great drinks. Liquor store is walking distance right down the street and nightlife is no more than $10 to $15 cab ride away. LIV the club is also around the corner at the Fountainebleu. At checkout they give you a room to store your luggage if you have a late flight, and also a shower room to use before you leave. Overall the experience was great, would definitly go back to that hotel if I was getting a flight/hotel package.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
lake district
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Riu for 12 nights in February, on arrival the hotel looks fine and the foyer is quite impressive.

Check in was a breeze and the staff were excellent and couldn't have been more helpful...but i'm afraid thats where the excellents seems to end.

our room was on the eighth floor so off to the lifts we went, I had to laugh at the speed of the lifts during the holiday i even managed to beat them down from the eighth floor and i'm an overweight coach potato, the corridor on our floor was horrendous and i must admit my stomach lurched at the thought of our room.
it looked as though it had been painted 20 years ago, there were repairs to holes in the walls that any self respecting diyer would have been appalled at and the doors looked like someone had been tapping paint off them with a hammer.

The room itself was ok, although there was a funny musty smell that you just couldn't get rid of and the air con was the loudest i'd ever heard no way we could leave it on when we were in the room but it was clean.

we had a deal that gave us the buffet breakfast and this was more than adequate and there was always room to sit. We did eat in the restaurant on a few occasions and the food was good if a little over priced.

the pool area is ok and the beach is just across the boardwalk which was lovely.

I could go on but all in all the hotel served it's purpose but is in dire need of a revamp, there is no way that it is 4* I would say a lot closer to 2*

would i go to Miami again yes most definately, would i stay at the Riu no, unless it was totally revamped.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
South Plainfield, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Hotel is rather dated in appearance. It makes candid attempts to be a full service hotel with entertainment (which was glorified karaoke). The bartender made me wait over 15 minutes while he joked with some patrons.
You can't get a cup of coffee in the morning unless it is room service-or you buy the full buffet.
The valets were polite, helpful and friendly.
The front desk help was inexperienced and unprofessional.
The walls on the rooms are thin. We were tortured with two different families with infants that cried several times in the night. Need I say I left the hotel tired? I called the front desk the first night with my concern, but they couldn't move me.
I had cold weather in my visit, in the 50's-yet, they wouldn't heat the pool. Geez, I flew all that way and never even got in the pool :(.
All in all, after paying over $225 per night, I feel very ripped off.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We arrived at 6.30am in the morning from L.A. check in was 4pm, but they kindly got us a room at 8.40am, so we could have a sleep and start our day which was great of them. The room was good size and very clean and comfortable, the hotel was lovely, the pool etc, staff were quite friendly, coffee in the room no tea bags and they would not give us any, we don't drink coffee, we had tea at breakfast time, after that we had to buy a cup of tea at the bar in the lounge. Lovely walk along the board walk down to Ocean Drive art deco area, very safe, the beach is right outside the back gate of the hotel, all tours were available in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple