“Not the Best...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Florida Beach

You added Hotel Riu Florida Beach to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Florida Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3101 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #105 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
lake district
“Not the Best...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Riu for 12 nights in February, on arrival the hotel looks fine and the foyer is quite impressive.

Check in was a breeze and the staff were excellent and couldn't have been more helpful...but i'm afraid thats where the excellents seems to end.

our room was on the eighth floor so off to the lifts we went, I had to laugh at the speed of the lifts during the holiday i even managed to beat them down from the eighth floor and i'm an overweight coach potato, the corridor on our floor was horrendous and i must admit my stomach lurched at the thought of our room.
it looked as though it had been painted 20 years ago, there were repairs to holes in the walls that any self respecting diyer would have been appalled at and the doors looked like someone had been tapping paint off them with a hammer.

The room itself was ok, although there was a funny musty smell that you just couldn't get rid of and the air con was the loudest i'd ever heard no way we could leave it on when we were in the room but it was clean.

we had a deal that gave us the buffet breakfast and this was more than adequate and there was always room to sit. We did eat in the restaurant on a few occasions and the food was good if a little over priced.

the pool area is ok and the beach is just across the boardwalk which was lovely.

I could go on but all in all the hotel served it's purpose but is in dire need of a revamp, there is no way that it is 4* I would say a lot closer to 2*

would i go to Miami again yes most definately, would i stay at the Riu no, unless it was totally revamped.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
South Plainfield, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Hotel is rather dated in appearance. It makes candid attempts to be a full service hotel with entertainment (which was glorified karaoke). The bartender made me wait over 15 minutes while he joked with some patrons.
You can't get a cup of coffee in the morning unless it is room service-or you buy the full buffet.
The valets were polite, helpful and friendly.
The front desk help was inexperienced and unprofessional.
The walls on the rooms are thin. We were tortured with two different families with infants that cried several times in the night. Need I say I left the hotel tired? I called the front desk the first night with my concern, but they couldn't move me.
I had cold weather in my visit, in the 50's-yet, they wouldn't heat the pool. Geez, I flew all that way and never even got in the pool :(.
All in all, after paying over $225 per night, I feel very ripped off.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We arrived at 6.30am in the morning from L.A. check in was 4pm, but they kindly got us a room at 8.40am, so we could have a sleep and start our day which was great of them. The room was good size and very clean and comfortable, the hotel was lovely, the pool etc, staff were quite friendly, coffee in the room no tea bags and they would not give us any, we don't drink coffee, we had tea at breakfast time, after that we had to buy a cup of tea at the bar in the lounge. Lovely walk along the board walk down to Ocean Drive art deco area, very safe, the beach is right outside the back gate of the hotel, all tours were available in the hotel.

West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

For the life of me I cannot understand there being negative comments about this hotel,unless they are absulute perfectionists
We stayed at this hotel for 12 days in Feb 2013,we had a standard room which was clean,spacious and nicely decorated.The breakfast and dinner buffett were excellent,a good choice and a high standard.Marceleno cooking fried eggs and omelette perfect every time,cheaper than most restaurants as well .The pool area is very nice,and though the pool isn't massive we found it plenty big enough.
All the staff we came in contact with were friendly and helpful.
We would certainly stay there again

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and me arrived at the hotel the valet parking staff were very nice people, they explained us the rate for the service and kindly help us with our luggage. Then we got in the hotel and a super friendly and smiley staff received us jennifer beautiful smile and very nice girl, laz, jonathan very fun personnel. we got a beautiful room. We just love our experience there. Alex at the bar was incredible. I would definitely recommend. The buffet breakfast very good and a good price also, very close from the hot spots.

• Stayed February 2013
Johnstown, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My adult daughter and I just returned from a week at the Riu Miami Beach. At the Riu, it is much about how much money they can make from their guests. There are hundreds of hotels, condos and apartments available from which to choose. Do your research.

Our observations:

1. Front desk staff are very rude, condescending and arrogant. Despite my confirmed voucher for an oceanfront room, the clerk argued with me until I insisted she actually LOOK at the voucher. Even then no apology. Other questions poorly answered, ignored, or incorrect responses provided.
2. Mandatory $20 per day valet fee, plus numerous signs at the valet desk stating "gratuities are appreciated." It took from 2 to 20 minutes to bring the car around.
3. $12 per day for Wi-Fi, when most other hotels now provide this service as part of the room cost. And the Wi-Fi is quite unreliable.
4. Pool area is pretty, but small. One towel limit per guest.
5. Room was adequate only, mini fridge had no temp controls and water dripped into food containers.
6. No washcloths?
7. Chambermaids were pleasant and made up room quickly once we departed in the morning.
8. Fee for use of business services computers and printer to print boarding passes. Otherwise, you must e-mail your boarding pass to the front desk and then wait until thy have time to print it for you.
9. Two small elevators, side-by-side, are inadequate for a hotel of this size.
10. I have sent an email message with my concerns to the General Manager (2.22.13) and have yet to receive a reply.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
lindsay ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights from Feb 16-19. I have heard good things about Riu Resorts in Mexico and Jamaica, so maybe I had too high of expectations.

I will start with the pros;

-Large Room
-Nice Pool area, with good pool bar and staff at bar and towel guy are good
-Nice beachfront, with nice boardwalk right at your fingertips

Now the Cons and there are many!

-Really large walk in closet, unfortunately there is no light in it and at night time it is nearly impossible to see anything in it
-Hallways, stairways, Foyer and Rooms are all in desperate need of a paint job and many plaster repairs. Some areas are jsut crumbling.
-Free Wifi in lobby only, why not offer it throughout? It is 2013.
-No phonebooks in rooms or any local brochures in rooms.. Hard to find things to do without going down to the lobby to use the free wifi.
-No channel List in room for TV stations
-They charge you for local phone calls, almost a dollar to order a pizza
-Wouldn't let the Pizza man come up to deliver pizza, I had to go down 9 levels to get it.

Now here are a few other things that are not complaints about the hotel, just observastions I made while staying there. If you think you are booking a hotel in the heart of South Beach, you aren't. It is not a far walk as we did the walk multiple times a day, but it is a few miles to get to the hot spots.

There is a lot of construction going on right now in this area, and they work Both days during the weekend. You WILL hear jackhammers, and smashig of metal as forums are being build in surrounding buildings. It is not a big deal, but it is present.

Lastly, this hotel is not new whatsoever. It is stale, and in need of a major facelift. I would expect much more from a 4 star hotel, and have stayed in more comforting 2 star hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Florida Beach? Share your experiences!