“Riu is disappointing!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Florida Beach

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Florida Beach to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Florida Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3101 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #100 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Johnstown, New York
“Riu is disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My adult daughter and I just returned from a week at the Riu Miami Beach. At the Riu, it is much about how much money they can make from their guests. There are hundreds of hotels, condos and apartments available from which to choose. Do your research.

Our observations:

1. Front desk staff are very rude, condescending and arrogant. Despite my confirmed voucher for an oceanfront room, the clerk argued with me until I insisted she actually LOOK at the voucher. Even then no apology. Other questions poorly answered, ignored, or incorrect responses provided.
2. Mandatory $20 per day valet fee, plus numerous signs at the valet desk stating "gratuities are appreciated." It took from 2 to 20 minutes to bring the car around.
3. $12 per day for Wi-Fi, when most other hotels now provide this service as part of the room cost. And the Wi-Fi is quite unreliable.
4. Pool area is pretty, but small. One towel limit per guest.
5. Room was adequate only, mini fridge had no temp controls and water dripped into food containers.
6. No washcloths?
7. Chambermaids were pleasant and made up room quickly once we departed in the morning.
8. Fee for use of business services computers and printer to print boarding passes. Otherwise, you must e-mail your boarding pass to the front desk and then wait until thy have time to print it for you.
9. Two small elevators, side-by-side, are inadequate for a hotel of this size.
10. I have sent an email message with my concerns to the General Manager (2.22.13) and have yet to receive a reply.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1,153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
lindsay ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights from Feb 16-19. I have heard good things about Riu Resorts in Mexico and Jamaica, so maybe I had too high of expectations.

I will start with the pros;

-Large Room
-Nice Pool area, with good pool bar and staff at bar and towel guy are good
-Nice beachfront, with nice boardwalk right at your fingertips

Now the Cons and there are many!

-Really large walk in closet, unfortunately there is no light in it and at night time it is nearly impossible to see anything in it
-Hallways, stairways, Foyer and Rooms are all in desperate need of a paint job and many plaster repairs. Some areas are jsut crumbling.
-Free Wifi in lobby only, why not offer it throughout? It is 2013.
-No phonebooks in rooms or any local brochures in rooms.. Hard to find things to do without going down to the lobby to use the free wifi.
-No channel List in room for TV stations
-They charge you for local phone calls, almost a dollar to order a pizza
-Wouldn't let the Pizza man come up to deliver pizza, I had to go down 9 levels to get it.

Now here are a few other things that are not complaints about the hotel, just observastions I made while staying there. If you think you are booking a hotel in the heart of South Beach, you aren't. It is not a far walk as we did the walk multiple times a day, but it is a few miles to get to the hot spots.

There is a lot of construction going on right now in this area, and they work Both days during the weekend. You WILL hear jackhammers, and smashig of metal as forums are being build in surrounding buildings. It is not a big deal, but it is present.

Lastly, this hotel is not new whatsoever. It is stale, and in need of a major facelift. I would expect much more from a 4 star hotel, and have stayed in more comforting 2 star hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Widnes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We arrived at the Rui after 10 days in Orlando staying at the much cheaper, cleaner and friendlier Quality Inn on International Drive and was met by the vallet who promptly informed us of the parking charges before we were even though the door ($80 for 4 nights)!
We offered to pay cash for this at check in, but the receptionist insisted that this was instead secured on my partners credit card (we discovered when we got back to the UK they had actually charged $100).
We were given far from a warm welcome by the member of staff who didn't even look at us when talking to us. We were given our room key cards and was told about the pool facilities and access to the beach, but they did not have any towels for us at that time!
Our room was a disappointment, the carpets were stained, the windows were filthy and the door was hanging off the minifridge in the dented and scuffed sideboard. Our toilet wouldn't flush properly, so we constantly had to lift the cistern off to make it flush. This is not something I would usually pick at.. however this place is 4*?? I expected a higher standard.
The only member of staff who I saw crack a smile was the young guy in the shop who assisted with excursion booking.
We ate twice in the hotel for breakfast, there was a large choice, but limited seating, and both times our breakfast was cold before we had chance to sit, usually at a table that had not been cleared from the previous guests.
All in all, the best part was actually leaving! Luckily for us, our time in Miami was spent mainly seeing the sites so we spent as little time as possible in the hotel.
We will not be returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dillon, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My mom and I loved this place! Eveyone is so nice and helpful. Rooms are clean. Shopping nearby. The bus is out front that can take you where you wanna go (shopping, airport, ext...) for $2.00. The boardwalk behind the hotel is nice for walking too. Beach is nice blue water white sand. Theres a little strip mall about a block south with a cafe that has great red snapper on the menu for $8 the liquer store is there too if you drink buy something there and make your own cause the resort bar is very expensive. This resort adds the tip on any food or drinks you order which is ok if you know before hand. I loved this place and can't wait to go back :)

Room Tip: I had oceanfront on the 5th floor very nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We went on a Cruise out of Miami that returned on 12/23/2012 and wanted to extend our stay and leave on Christmas. After looking online for several days we decided on this hotel. When we got there we were treated wonderfully. We were on a non-smoking floor and the first night noticed a strong cigarette smoke smell that got stronger as the night went on. We had a room that had an adjoining door and the people next door were smoking. When I told the front desk about it the next day they offered to move us to a better room (and said the smokers would be fined). Somehow my wallet got mixed in with the towels on the day of departure but after several calls I was told the laundry staff found it. The hotel manager kindly mailed it to me. Pool was nicest we saw within a 30 min walk both north and south. Easy to get a cab.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I'm really not in the mood to write a review, but I believe it is important to document my experience. My two biggest issues were dirty rooms and bad customer service.

CONS:
1. There was numerous "bed" bugs (bugs in the bed and on our curtains).
2. We were offered an upgrade away from construction, but told that we would have to pay an additional $150 to be placed in a different room. Sure we said...but then we were told that they would only accept cash! Hmmm, very shady. No thanks.
3. Even though I told the front desk staff that I was celebrating my birthday at their hotel, they still gave us a bad room. Our room smelled like smoke, had stains in bathroom, and our television did not work. Thankfully, we were able to move to a nonsmoking floor which smelled a lot better. The sleeping arrangements were not horrible, but they were not comfortable either. Beds were uncomfortable and I guess seeing bugs is what really threw me for a loop.
4. Service was terrible. I don't want to say that we were treated poorly because of our race; however, my husband, my mother, my best friend, and I were treated differently than the people from European decent.

Pros:
1. The buffet was great! Great variety and tasty food.
2. The pool area was nice and access to the beach was great.
3. 24-hour pool access.

One reviewer commented that there is free parking for someone with a handicap placard. My mother is handicapped and it was nice to find street parking instead of spending $80 total in parking fees.

Wish I had not spent as much money as I did for this hotel. Very displeased.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

RIU Florida Beach is one of the beach front properties. I have been in Miami many times and stayed in several different hotels. I have to admit the RIU is the best of them. Most of the hotels in the part of Florida are boutiques - very small, dark and not really resort like.
RIU is the large hotel with a nice size swimming pool and garden. I like the fact the parking was cheap - $ 20 per day is nothing compare with other places.
RIU is a 3+ resort but you can find over there everything what you need on the vacation.Rooms are big and clean. Beds are very comfortable. I like the light colors and the ocean view rooms have a spectacular view for the water and the beach.
The real surprise was the restaurant. I don't like all inclusive hotels and the buffet restaurants because the food in those places for the most of the time is cheap and not really tasty.
RIU has a buffet for the breakfast and buffet for the dinner. The breakfast was very, very good. You can't get those kind of choices for $ 17 in any restaurants in Miami. We like so much the breakfast we decided to eat dinner in the hotel also.
The dinner was FANTASTIC and really affordable - $ 23 per person. Again it was a buffet but the quality of the food was beyond the standard food. Everything was delicious - from the salmon, cheeses, fruits, breads or fresh prepare pasta.
RIU is a really good place for the quiet vacation with the option for the great nightlife.
I would recommend this for everyone who don't need to impress anyone on the holidays - just have a good time :-)

Room Tip: the best rooms are the ocean view with the balcony - you need the have the 5 floor up to be able to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Florida Beach? Share your experiences!