“On the Ocean with a Beautiful Pool Area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Florida Beach

You added Hotel Riu Florida Beach to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Florida Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3101 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 1000 Points
Ranked #103 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“On the Ocean with a Beautiful Pool Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went here on a girl trip, and had a wonderful time! You can walk over to the bar down by the pool where you can get burgers and other goodies and large drinks (or you can wait for a server to take your order as you lay on a chaise lounge). Our room was the best, and we would leave the sliding door open at night so we could hear the waves after cocktails on our balcony. Were able to walk along the path to other hotels and restaurants. Most of the people staying there during our trip spoke French, German, etc., so we felt like we were in Europe! The only negatives were having to use a fee-based printer to print our boarding passes, the fee for renting chaise lounges to take over to the ocean, and the fact that the staff at the front desk seemed to be in no hurry when we needed help with something.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We arrived before check-in time but the desk staff tried to get us into a room ASAP. The only problem was the way they went about it: At first they told us it would be a half-hour and then when I checked again, they said it would be 20 minutes. It would have been better if they had just said an hour to begin with. Moreover, the oceanfront room I booked (on Expedia) technically was not oceanfront since it faced a construction site (although I certainly had a view of the ocean from the balcony). There was only one wash cloth in the bathroom. Since we were a party of three, I called the front desk and asked for two more but they were never delivered. When I walked out to the beach, there was no one at the towel booth, there was no one doling out towels, so I grabbed one myself. All of these things were no big deal. One of my party lost her pool card which, according to the desk gal, I should have been charged $20 (because it meant I didn't return a towel) but she was very understanding and said she knew I didn't steal a towel: So, the service wasn't all bad.

Blacksburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The lobby was beautiful, the grounds were gorgeous. The hotel is right on the beach and right on the board walk! While it is ~1.4 mile to the heart of South beach it is still a very comfortable walk and just takes ~20-30 minutes to walk down to the heart of South beach. But it is far enough away that it provides a quiet peaceful place to get away from the action. Another great thing about this location is the hop-on, hop-off red bus tour has a stop literally right in front of the RIU hotel. The front desk and valet parking were very friendly.

Internet - I paid $20 for three days in room wireless internet, but in the lobby you get 90 minutes free.

Parking was a bit pricey $20 per day, but most parking is kind of pricey down in this area.
The breakfast buffet was nice, but also pricey ~$13 per person.

The rooms were nice, a little dated, but clean and the beds were comfortable. The rooms have new flat screen TVs with a fair amount of channels.

The pool and pool area was nice though I wish they had a hot tub (no hot tub at this hotel) and I wish they had beach lounge chairs available for their guests.

Overall this is a good choice if the price is right. We got ocean front rooms for $140 and standard rooms for $120 and I think that's about right/appropriate.

TIP – I recommend booking a tour on the hop on, hop off double deck tour bus. It is great, you can get vouchers at the concierge and the stop is right in front of the RIU hotel.

Room Tip: Big Bus tours of Miami has two routes. 1 - Miami Beach & 2 - Maimi City. This is a GREAT tour, a...
Sammamish, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We will not stay at this hotel ever again, even at a different location. No more RIU. The rooms smell so bad, it has ants in the bathroom, there are stains in the bath tub. I complained to the front desk, and they would not change my room until the next day. The next day, nothing happened we had to complain again to get the room change. Customer service at the front desk was rude. We had young kids, and requested a non smoking room. They put us in a smoking room. The smell is, of course, horrible. Also, we asked for couple plastic folks for our to-go food. Guess what? No help from the hotel customer service. Instead they asked us go to the puny gift shop to pay $0.25 each utensil. Unbelievable... it was a waste of money, and it ruined our trip!

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel and you wont have to worry about a good room.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

The only thing remarkable about this hotel is that it somehow continues to stay in business. Even at $129 per night, it is a bad deal. Smells, rude staff, no hot tub in pool area, no heat in rooms along with many other problems. It would be interesting to know if they have any repeat business.

• Stayed December 2012
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I found ants in the bathroom and on the bed too. I shot a video of them and will be posting it soon. Upon contacting the hotel staff they were not cooperative at all. When I insisted on speaking to manager multiple times , the manager some women named Julia said that it is Mother Nature and she cannot control it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Springfield, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Spent one night upon return from a cruise in this hotel and found it to be no more than a place to sleep. The hotel charges extra for everything, but provides no sense of the client being of any value. The front desk staff incorrectly charged us and I had to battle through several phone calls to get things corrected. Customer service personnel simply deferred to the front desk and no satisfaction was given. Instead I was told that these are the standards for hotels in the area. I had spent 2 much happier nights at a smaller hotel before the cruise so I know this to be incorrect. (Too bad they were fully booked for this last night.) My suggestion....Pay less and enjoy another smaller hotel or pay lots more and go with a place that really treats you right.

Room Tip: Spend less money and go to a cheaper hotel or spend lots more money and go someplace with a better r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Florida Beach? Share your experiences!