“Stunning Hotel would definately reccommend” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #108 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Stunning Hotel would definately reccommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 4 nights in June 2011. The hotel isnt much to look at from the main street (front door) but changes as soon as you get in the front door! The hotel is clean, staff are friendly and the pool area is lovely! We thankfully upgraded our room for an extra $30 a night (well worth it) the standard view rooms look onto the street or the next door hotel where as the sea view looks over the whole beach and swimming pool! The food in the hotel is very good I would say - plenty choice and staff again are very friendly. It is a bit of a walk from Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive where most of the shops/ bars are, probably about 20-30mins but if you dont mind a walk down this hotel is definately worth staying in!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
JACKSONVILLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Stayed here for the weekend celebrating one of my closest friend's birthday. This hotel isn't too bad. I was a lil scared from the negative reviews. The room was clean as well as the bathroom. There is an "old" smell in the hallway but new carpet would fix that problem.

We received help w/ our bags and was given quite a bit information from the guest clerk who was really peppy at 11pm! I forgot his name. The valet guys were nice and flagged down cabs for us. They even provided information on the buses which saved us money since we didnt need to drive everywhere which would have resulted in buying gas!

The pool was PACKED during the day. And childrens pool as well w/ adults! The Alligator Bar served the best Miami Vice on the beach! The pool guys, Eduardo and Carol, are hilarious and extremely nice.

Oh there's also a hair/body wash dispenser in the tub that smells good.

My only suggestion for this hotel would be that since the nightly rate is pricely the beach loungers and umbrellas should be complimentary to guests. And the rooms need microwaves and refridgerators. I wasted 2 meals.

Another suggestion would be for the bars to stay open a little later and the late night indoor bar provide a better selection of food instead of just a roast beef or italian sandwich. Not everyone eats red meat.

And late night people watching was the best! Overall I give this hotel a 3.5 out of 5

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Milan, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

One of my Bff's moved out of state last summer, so during the long cold winter we planned a girls trip to Miami. We both loved the Riu Florida Beach hotel, thought the service was great and everyone was friendly. Our room was really big and clean, price was great and the food was really good also. Our main reason for coming to Miami was the beach and the atmosphere. We spent our days laying out behind the hotel or South Beach.
Now for the food, morning's we walked south 2 blocks to Tropical Beach Cafe for coffee, omelets, hashbrowns etc. food was great , cheap, cafe was always busy. We ate lunch really late every day after we got baked on the beach. Usually we ate outdoors on Ocean drive and the food was amazing sometimes pricey. Sea Cafe had amazing fried grouper and we enjoyed the 32 oz frozen margarita's so much my friend took a short nap on the beach afterwards!!! We ate supper one evening in the Riu and it was really really good and not too outrageous for Miami I think it was around $20 per person. Joe's Stone Crab was our big splurge it's expensive but the seafood was the best I've ever had. It's down around 1st St.

Mango's was an awesome place to go and the entertainment there was amazing!! We stayed till early morning one night. I think most clubs stay open until 3:00 am. Went to Nikki Beach one night . Also loved walked around South Beach in the evening people watching.
We walked so much up and down Ocean Drive we managed to have blisters on top and bottoms of feet (flip flops are not the best walking shoes) The worst part was since we now live in different states there was no one to sympathize with us when we got back home lol. Taxi's were easy to find and we spent quite a bit of money on them also. That was one disadvantage of staying at Riu it is on 32 St. and South Beach-Art Deco district is a 20-30 min walk. It was impossible to find a reasonably priced hotel with a ocean view balcony, closer so we went with Riu. Also we've been to Miami before and didn't know if we'd like to chance all the noise while trying to sleep. Riu was quiet just in time for us to get a good nights sleep. LOL!!! especially after dancing boys in room next to us turned off their music to go out clubbing, we did have adjoining balconies!! Riu's concierge was amazing and had a great personality. I would definately reccomment Riu Florida Beach hotel to family and friends and will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Rooms could use a refresh, but why would you stay in the room when the beautiful beach is right out the front door. The water is very clear and it is fun swimming in the ocean. I would stay again!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

OMG, this hotel smells really old and dirty...shower was cloged...no conditioner or lotion... over all I will never ever book a hotel room with RIU...worst hotel EVER

Bellingham, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

The loby and ground of this hotel are pretty nice. The pool and beach are beautiful. Everyhting else isn't. Our room had an old smoke and mildew smell. Its a 35 min walk to all the bars and nightlife. We only stayed one night, but I had the misfortune of accidentally leaving a small item behind. Literally, no joke. minimum of 30 calls later I finally had a confirmation that my item would be shipped back to me. Out of those 30 calls, at least 10 of them happened when either house keeping or the operator purposefully hung up on me because they couldn't answer my question. I had to follow up several times a day to check in with a certain person.
I was told to call back at times when an employee was gone so they wouldn't have to deal with me. Throughout this whole process I was very polite and only got helped once I asked to speak to a manager right away. I will never stay in a RIU hotel even if it was free. This was a nightmare to deal with and I was treated almost as a bother. Not worth the money. The beaches in Maimi are free, so get a hotel somewhere else!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I stayed at the Riu for one night only. I travel multiple times a year and I can honnestly say I havent been to many hotels that I would call bad. However this one truely is. We checked in at around 22h30pm on the 19 of may. The agent at the counter wasnt very courteous and implied that given the late hour, my husband wasnt going to get some action that night.. What is that!! We got in our room, we were taken aback by the rotten smell. I have been to multiple destinations in the Carribean and I can make the difference between humidity smell and plain old dirty room smell. The room itself was old, the matress is probably dating back 1995. I felt the need to open all the bed sheets and inspect the matress to make sure there was no bugs in there. We had 2 choice for the AC.. let it run all night and not sleep because of the noise, or close it and not sleep because the room got too hot. We checked out the next day, we didnt even got breakfast, I was affraid to get sick.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Plaza Miami Beach? Share your experiences!